Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Pretty Blue Eyes  by Little Mouse

Pretty Blue Eyes

Chapter 1

Rivendell: Why are you coming?

            Golden beams of late-afternoon sun pierced a canopy of slender branches. A gentle breeze wafted through the room, teasing Frodo’s curly brown hair and coaxing him away from his map and out onto the balcony.

            Closing his eyes and taking a deep breath of sweet, fresh air, Frodo allowed himself to relax, letting the concerns of the coming quest melt away. Frodo opened his eyes and gazed at the gardens below. Elves wandered along stone pathways and sat in pairs beneath sturdy trees. Some of the Fair Folk sang, their voices blending with the birds’. Others talked or laughed as the worked amongst the brightly colored plants. Frodo spotted Sam on his knees beside a flowering bush, listening intently to a dark-haired Elf explain its’ properties.

            As he watched, Frodo became aware of a familiar looking Elf traversing a path near the river. Frodo cocked his head, trying to recall the Elf’s name. A ray of sun glinted off the carved pattern of a bow at the Elf’s back, and Frodo had it. This was Legolas, Prince of Mirkwood, one of those accompanying Frodo on his journey to Mordor. Now that he thought about it that was all Frodo really knew about the prince. He had not yet had a chance to talk to him. 

            Frodo glanced over his shoulder at the map sitting on his desk and sighed. He should really get back to work, if he was going to feel anywhere near prepared for this journey; but the sunshine was so inviting, and the opportunity to speak to Legolas was too good to pass up. He turned and headed out the door to the ornately carved staircase leading directly to the garden paths.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Frodo approached the riverbank carefully. It wasn’t that he was afraid of the river, just more…cautious around it. His childhood fear of the water had never entirely left him, and he had no desire to slip and fall.

            Frodo had lost sight of Legolas some time ago, so he followed instead the sound of the Elf’s soft singing, until he now stood at the base of a tall cliff. Frodo looked up, and sure enough, there was the elusive Elf, perched atop a ledge halfway up the towering cliff face. Frodo sighed. He very much wished to speak with Legolas, but he would have to begin climbing to do so- something Hobbits weren’t too fond of. Resigned, he started up, intent on a conversation with the blond Elf.

~*~*~*~*~*~

            Legolas sang softly to himself as he inspected his bowstring, testing its readiness for battle. The song recalled his woodland home, and the family he had left behind. How he missed them! He hated being away with the constant threat of war, but his dear ones had plenty of protection, and he was needed here.

            The skittering of falling pebbles startled Legolas from his thoughts. He glanced down, surprised to find the Ring-bearer scaling the rock face. Legolas laid his bow aside and reached out a slender hand to help the Hobbit. “Frodo?”

            Frodo looked up, startled. He had been so absorbed with putting one hand over the other and not looking down that he failed to notice he had nearly reached his destination. He took the proffered hand gratefully, allowing Legolas to pull him to the safety of the ledge.

            Legolas waited for Frodo to catch his breath, then asked: “What brings you up here, my friend? I thought your folk hated heights.”

            Frodo sighed. “Well, we don’t exactly hate heights, but we aren’t fond of them either.” He glanced up curiously at the Elf. “Who told you that?”

            Legolas smiled. “Aragorn is one of my closest friends, and we share much with each other. He has frequently spoken of the Halflings to me.”

            “Hobbits,” Frodo corrected.

            “Hobbits,” Legolas conceded, another smile crossing his face.

            Frodo turned thoughtful. “How long have you known Aragorn?”

            “Longer than you have been alive, my friend,” the archer responded.

            Frodo narrowed his eyes. “How did you meet him?”

            Legolas laughed. “You are almost as full of questions are your younger cousin!”

            Frodo grinned. “No one can be as inquisitive as Pippin!”

            Legolas smiled. “Perhaps not, but to answer your question, Frodo, we met when Elladan and Elrohir, Lord Elrond’s sons, came to visit Mirkwood. The twins are also good friends of mine, and had not been to the Great Wood in some time. Aragorn had grown old enough and skilled enough to handle such an arduous journey, so they brought him along as part of his training. When our scouts reported their entry into the wood, I decided to play a trick on my friends the moment they entered my father’s realm.”

“A trick?” Frodo’s mouth dropped open in surprise.

Legolas chuckled. “Indeed. This is a long-standing tradition between Elladan, Elrohir, and me, but this time I was unaware there was a third person. Unfortunately for Aragorn, the twins were aware of the trick in time to avoid most of the result, but our poor Ranger took the brunt of it. He accepted his fate with good grace and within a week had repaid me for it. We shared many other adventures that summer, and have been fast friends- and partners in mischief, ever since.”

            Frodo laughed. “I can imagine the fun you must have had with Aragorn around to aid in your tricks.”

            “It was indeed fun, and still is occasionally. But now it is your turn to answer a question. I understand that you were not always Bilbo’s heir. How did you come to live with him?”

            “My parents were drowned in a boating accident when I was very young,” Frodo explained. “We were living in Buckland at the time, so my relatives in Brandy Hall brought me to live with them. The Master of Buckland meant well when he took me in, but I was lost among all of those relatives. No one noticed me much, except Bilbo. Whenever he came to visit, he made sure to spend time with me. He saw how lonely I was, so he decided to rescue me. Bilbo persuaded Master Brandybuck to let me come live with him, since he is my nearest relative. The Master agreed, Bilbo brought me to Bag End, and I’ve been living there ever since. Why do you look down the arrow like that, Legolas?”

            Legolas chuckled at the abrupt change in topic. Must be a Hobbit trait, he thought. Sam and Pippin had done it to him earlier that day. He narrowed his eyes and stared down the shaft of the arrow he held, turning it slowly. All throughout their conversation, Legolas had been checking each of the arrows in his quiver. He was almost finished when Frodo switched topics on him. He set the arrow down and retrieved a previously inspected arrow. “I check to make sure that there are no flaws, so I can be sure they will travel where I want them to in a battle. See for yourself.” He handed the arrow to Frodo.

            Frodo squinted his blue eyes the same way Legolas had, looking for mistakes.

            “Is the shaft straight; does it curve at all? Are there any bumps or cracks?”

            “Not that I can see.”

            “Good. There isn’t anything wrong with the shaft. Now test the feathers. See if they are stiff and remain attached. Are they bent in any way?”

            Frodo gave each feather a gentle tug. “They seem fine as well; they certainly aren’t going any where.”

            “Very good. Now check the head of the arrow. It cannot move at all.”

            Frodo tried to wiggle the arrowhead. “It’s moving some.”
            Legolas nodded. “Well done. I will need to repair that one. If the head wobbles like that, it can through off the flight of the arrow, and we don’t want that happening in the middle of a battle, do we?”

            Frodo shook his head. “No, I guess we don’t.” He handed the arrow back to Legolas, who set it aside and picked up another. Frodo watched as the Elf finished examining the last of his arrows, but his mind was elsewhere.

            Legolas glanced at his silent companion. “Is something wrong, Frodo? You’ve grown very quiet.”

            Frodo blinked and focused again. “Not really. I was just thinking about something.”

            “Anything you wish to discuss?”

            “Well…” Frodo paused for a moment to collect his thoughts. He wanted to word this correctly. He finally gave up and blurted: “Why are you coming?”

Legolas set aside the last arrow and turned his full attention on the Hobbit. “What do you mean?”

            “I know Lord Elrond chose you to represent the elves, but what I’m really wondering is, why did you agree to come? From the way you talk about it, you love Mirkwood very much, and it’s in serious danger. Why did you agree to come with me when you could have gone home?”

            “Ah, I see.”

            Frodo sighed. “I’m afraid that didn’t come out quite right.”

            Legolas shook his head. “No, Frodo, you worded it just fine. I believe I understand what you are asking.” The Elf prince sighed and leaned forward, long arms resting on his knees. Frodo watched him expectantly. When Legolas spoke, there was a firm set to his jaw and a surety of purpose. “I care for Mirkwood the same way you do for the Shire. I would love to go home and be with my family, but there are others who need my skills more, others who are unprotected and face a graver danger. If I go home, I will be one among many hundreds. If I go with you, I may be one, but with unique skills to offer. With you I can truly be of some help.” Legolas’ expression softened and grew distant. “This is the best way to protect my pretty blue eyes.”

            Legolas said this so softly Frodo was unsure he had heard correctly. “Pretty blue eyes?” he asked, but Legolas didn’t answer. He was lost in some pleasant memory that brought a smile to his face. When it became clear Legolas wasn’t going to answer, Frodo gave a little shrug and turned his attention to the slowly changing colors of the evening sky.

            After a few moments, Legolas blinked and came back to the present. “Forgive me, Frodo, I didn’t meant to drift off like that. I am sorry.”

            Frodo shook his head. “There is nothing to be sorry for, Legolas. I drift off like that myself sometimes.”

            Legolas smiled. “Yes, I’ve noticed you do that.”

            Frodo cringed. “Is it really that obvious?”

            “Only to one who does it himself and knows the look. It is understandable when you have so much weighing on your mind.”

            You have no idea how accurate a description that is, Legolas, Frodo thought. “Good.”

            “I hope you have not been waiting too long for me to come back,” Legolas said.

            “No, not at all. Besides, I’ve been enjoying watching the sky change from blue to orange.” Just then, the bell rang for supper, and as if on cue, Frodo’s stomached growled an answer. The Elf and Hobbit burst out laughing.

            “Well, my young friend,” Legolas said between chuckles, “it seems that a Hobbit’s stomach becomes rather insistent when it needs to be satisfied. Perhaps we should take care of that, and quickly!”      

            Frodo grinned broadly. “I suppose we should. Although, I did interrupt your time alone, so if you wish not to return with me, I’ll understand.”

            “Nay, Frodo. You are not an interruption. Our conversation was pleasant, and respite enough. I shall descend first, so as to steady you should you slip.” Legolas replied.

            “Thank you,” Frodo smiled gratefully. Legolas slung bow and quiver over his back and nimbly slipped over the edge. He reached to help Frodo find his footing.

            “By the way, Frodo, you never answered my original question.”

            “Which question was that, Legolas?” Frodo paused with his hands gripping the edge and turned his head to look at the Elf.

            “What brought you up here?”

            Their eyes locked, the ocean’s brilliant blue meeting the summer’s morning sky. The Ring-bearer smiled. “I hoped for exactly what we’ve been doing, Legolas. I wished only to get to know a friend.” Legolas returned the smile, and they descended to the ground, and supper.

AN: This is revised version of a story which I had only posted the first chapter to previously. That was so long ago, I'm not sure anyone will remember it, but I thought I'd mention it anyhow. The second chapter will be up shortly, and I will post the rest as I get them revised. Thank you for reading, and please, review! :)





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List