Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Pretty Blue Eyes  by Little Mouse

Pretty Blue Eyes

Chapter 3

Moria: How do you keep going?

 

            “How much farther have we to go, Gandalf?”

            “I am not entirely sure, Legolas. Three days, perhaps more, depending on whether or not we follow the correct passage,” the wizard replied. The Elf nodded tersely.

            Gandalf looked sideways at his tense companion. “Have no fear, my friend; I shall get you out of this oppressive place as quickly as I can.”

            Legolas lips twitched in a small smile. “I doubt it not, Mithrandir.”

            Gandalf sighed. He could not sleep. The choice of which of three passages to take was plaguing him, refusing to be ignored. Now there was fear of discovery thanks to that reckless Took and his stone. At last, Gandalf gave up and went to relieve Pippin of his watch after only an hour.

            Legolas watched him go, as unable to sleep as Gandalf, but for different reasons. The dark closeness and weight of stone above his head greatly unsettled him, and he was worried about Pippin as well. He studied his small friend for a moment. Pip lay curled up in a corner, huddled into his blanket despite the oppressive heat, as if he were trying to hide. The poor Hobbit looked so miserable; Legolas’s heart went out to him. The Elf rose and made his way to the corner. “Hello, Pippin,” he said softly. Pippin glanced up in surprise. “You appear a bit lonely. Would you like some company?” Legolas asked with a kind smile. Pippin nodded, and the Elf settled down next to him.

            “Legolas?”

            “Yes, Pippin?”

            “Is Gandalf still angry with me?”

            Legolas watched the Wizard for a moment. “No, I don’t think so, Pip,” he said slowly. “But he is worried. He is unsure of where he is, and what you did with the stone may have alerted someone, or something, to our presence here. He wants to get us out of here before anything finds us.”

            “He’ll think of something. He always does, doesn’t he?” Pippin asked, looking up at Legolas, big green eyes seeking reassurance.

            Legolas smiled and slipped an arm around him, and Pippin nestled close to his side. “Indeed he does, Pippin. Feel better?” Pippin nodded and snuggled closer still, relaxing against his friend. The odd-looking pair was silent for a while, listening to the deep silence that brooded all around them.

            After a few moments, Pippin spoke. “Legolas? Can I ask you something?”

            Legolas chuckled inwardly. Save during sleep, this little one never stopped asking questions. “Of course, my friend. What is it?” He looked down into the constantly curious eyes.

            “How do you keep going? You didn’t want to come here in the first place. It’s obvious you do not like it down here at all. You’re much more at home up in the sunshine and trees. What keeps you going when it is so dark?”

            The Elf paused a moment before answering. “Well, I know that we will get out of here eventually; we have only one choice of which way to go. Turning back is not an option; the door is blocked, and I would not leave you or Frodo or any of the others to finish this quest on your own.” Legolas sighed, rested his head against the wall, and closed his eyes. “And when I feel as if I cannot continue another moment, I see those pretty blue eyes before me, and I keep going a little longer,” he said quietly.

            Pippin suppressed a huge yawn, and blinked wearily up at his friend, hoping for an explanation. However, before he could ask for one, Legolas began singing softly, and Pippin soon fell fast asleep, curled up in the protection of Legolas’s arms.  

Review Responses:

 

Larner: Thank you. J It’s good to be back. I’ll try not to keep you waiting too long for the answer.

Nieriel Raina: Thank you. I’ve learned a great deal about being true to Tolkein’s originals by reading a lot of other people’s work (especially Shirebound). It’s good to know my efforts are paying off! J

Shyler: Wow! I posted it so long ago I wasn’t sure anyone would remember it. I promise to actually finish it this time. J

Agape4Gondor: Hmm…I sense an idea for a series coming on…lol. J





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List