Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Friend, My Brother  by jenolas

Chapter 6:   Quiet Conversations.

Several days out of Rivendell the fellowship made camp for the evening in a small glade. The Hobbits had taken on the task of preparing the evening meals and since Sam was an excellent cook, there was no objection to this arrangement. There was much laughter and ‘tasting’ of the food as it was prepared and it was surprising to find that there was actually enough left for the meal. No one except Gandalf had known just how much food one Hobbit could eat.

After they had eaten, eight of the nine sat around the small campfire enjoying their pipes before retiring for the night. Legolas saw no reason to fill his lungs with smoke, so he made use of this time to scout around the camp, making certain they were not being followed. As was his habit, and one that Sam found particularly fascinating to watch, he climbed into the treetop for a better view of the surrounding landscape. When Legolas offered to teach Sam to climb, he hastily declined.

“No, thank you, Legolas, Sir,” he had answered politely, peering up into the branches where the Elf sat.  “As my Gaffer would say, these two Hobbit feet were meant to stay firmly on the ground, that’s for certain.”

“As you wish,” laughed Legolas. Gimli muttered something under his breath about trees being only good for firewood, causing Legolas to glare angrily at him. Aragorn sighed, those two had been trading insults ever since the Fellowship had left Rivendell and it was becoming tiresome. The open hostility between Elf and Dwarf was not good for the morale of the Fellowship, though understandable given their history.  Aragorn suspected that Legolas was actually enjoying the banter with Gimli.

 At least they were speaking to each other, he thought as he watched Boromir sharpening his sword. The Steward of Gondor’s son had said little to anyone so far, and when he spoke, it was usually to try and persuade Gandalf to travel to Minis Tirith instead of going directly to Mordor. Aragorn was uncertain as to how he felt about Boromir, except that he did not fully trust him where the Ring was concerned. In fact he did not really trust himself, for the temptation of Isildur’s Bane was even now calling to him in a whispered voice in the back of his mind.

It seemed that only the joyful patter of the Hobbits could lift the cloud of gloom from Boromir’s features, for they were never silent and all except Frodo were treating the Quest as a great adventure. Both Aragorn and Gandalf were concerned for the young Ring Bearer, and their fears were well founded for the shadow had not left Frodo entirely.

“I believe it is Legolas and Boromir who have the first watch tonight,” Gandalf said loudly, interrupting Aragorn’s thoughts. The others took his meaning and soon the campsite was silent, except for the Dwarf’s snoring. Legolas stood beneath the trees looking to the heavens and singing softly to himself, seemingly oblivious to his surroundings. Boromir stared with wide-eyed astonishment as he saw for the first time, the seemingly ethereal glow of an Elf bathed in starlight, and he could not take his eyes from the apparition.

In fact, Legolas was well aware of the Man of Gondor’s intense scrutiny just as he was aware of the fact that he was mistrustful of Elves. Once he had finished his song, he moved to the fire and sat opposite Boromir, who had the grace to look embarrassed for staring at his companion.

“I sense you are disturbed by something, Man of Gondor? Me perhaps?” he asked quietly. Boromir looked at him sharply, not really surprised at Legolas’s perception for Faramir was enamoured of the legends of the Fair Folk and had told him many tales of the strange powers Elves were said to possess.

“I admit that I find Elves to be mysterious beings and I have never before seen elvish light. Until I came to Rivendell, I had not even met any Fair Folk, for they have long since left the forests of Ithilien.”

“In what ways am I mysterious?” Legolas asked, amused by this description of his kindred.

Boromir considered his answer for a moment; he did not want to insult the Elf.

“You keep to your own realms and no longer venture into the outside world, you care nothing for the world of Men. No-one knows very much about Elves, except that they are immortal beings with almost magical powers.”

“Yes, our two Races have been estranged for many centuries,” Legolas agreed, “but we still have dealings with Men. Aragorn and I have long been friends, and he has been to my home in Mirkwood many times over the years.”

“He is more Elf than Man,” said Boromir, the bitterness in his voice not lost on Legolas.

“He may have been brought up amongst Elves, but he is still Isildur’s heir,” he stated sharply.

“It is the Steward of Gondor, my Father, who now rules over the lands which were once ruled by his fore-fathers.” Boromir said, a hint of anger in his voice. “It is obvious to me that Aragorn does not want to be King.” There was no denying the truth in that statement, but Legolas felt the need to defend his friend.

“He will be, when his people need him.” Legolas said with a certainty he could not explain, but accepted without question.

“I would that I had your faith in Aragorn, but Gondor cannot afford to wait much longer. It becomes ever more difficult for us to hold off the forces of evil, if we can not use the One Ring, I hope its destruction saves my city and its people,” Boromir said sadly.

“I understand your love for your city, for I feel the same about the forest I call home. In protecting what is ours, Elf and Man are no different,” Legolas said. “The Shadow moves ever northward from Dol Guldur and I have spent my almost my whole life defending my Father’s Realm. However, for us the destruction of the One Ring will not prevent the light of the Elves from fading; our time here is almost at an end. The time of Men is just beginning, and it is to Aragorn you must give your trust and your faith, for he is the one who is destined to lead you into the new Age.”

“If by being on this Quest you are helping to seal the fate of the Elves, why would you do this?” Boromir asked feeling confused.

“For Aragorn, for Middle Earth and all the beings who must remain here. I represent all the Elves and we would not leave those who are to come after us to a place ruled by evil.”

“A noble gesture indeed,” said Boromir graciously. “It would appear I have much to learn about you and your kind, especially if we are to become Allies once again.”

“Yes, it would be wise for us all to know our friends as well as our enemies,” agreed Legolas. “Speaking of which, I think I will scout the area once again, it is almost time to wake Aragorn for his watch.”

“I will bid you goodnight then,” said Boromir unable to stifle another yawn. “I thank you for a most enlightening conversation.”

“You are most welcome. I too, found our conversation interesting. Good night, Boromir,” said Legolas as he disappeared into the trees.

Aragorn had already awoken when Legolas returned.

“All is well.’ he reported. “I am in no need of sleep just yet, so I think I will allow Gandalf to rest a little longer.”

“Good idea, he can be awfully grumpy if he does not have enough sleep,” Aragorn said with a smile. “I will just take a quick look around as well.”

“Do you not trust my report?” Legolas asked, feigning offence.

“Of course I do, you should know by now that I still prefer to check our safety for myself.” Aragorn replied, clapping a friendly hand on his friend’s shoulder.

“Then perhaps in future I will just let you do the patrol for both of us,” he teased.

Legolas moved to sit beneath the trees for he missed his woodland home already and Boromir’s words had forced him to think on his future. He wondered if he would eventually hear the call of the sea, like so many of his kindred had already. Aragorn would also be lost to him, for a mortal’s years are numbered. It was a distressing thought and a melancholy mood overcame him. He gave voice to his feelings with a sweet yet mournful song.

Aragorn approached his friend quietly, and sat beside him while he sang.

“That was so beautiful and so sad,” he said as the last note floated off into the night. “What has caused you to be so mournful?”

“I was thinking of the sadness the future has waiting for me,” came the quiet reply. Aragorn looked at the Elf with concern, but he need not have worried as Legolas’s eyes filled with a mischievous gleam and his mood turned playful.

“So was my report accurate, did I miss finding a hidden band of Orcs, perhaps?” he asked lightly.

“Yes it was and no, you did not.” Aragorn replied, as they both laughed. “What were you and Boromir talking about? He has barely spoken to me since Rivendell, but I had the impression that he was very wary of Elves.”

“As some Men should be!” teased Legolas. “We spoke of the Quest and the evil invading our homes. I think that Boromir is a good and noble Man, but in his eagerness to defend his city, he would be easily swayed by the power of the One Ring. Even now he is being tempted by its call.”

“Gandalf is of the same mind. I am keeping a close watch on him, for I fear his weakness is his lust for power, as it is in all Men,” admitted Aragorn.

“As it is in you,” whispered an evil voice in his head. Aragorn was startled, but did not mention it to Legolas.

“Not all Men lust for power, or you would have long since claimed the throne,” countered Legolas, feeling darkness pass fleetingly over his soul as he spoke.
 

“Are you sure you do not need to sleep?” Aragorn asked. Legolas took the hint and changed the subject.

“No, I am still not tired. However, since it is your watch, and you do not believe my reports, I think you should patrol the area again.” Aragorn favoured him with a look of exasperation and took his arm, pulling the Elf into a standing position.

“We BOTH should,” he said, and with a gentle shove to the back, he sent Legolas on his way. The sound of Elvish Laughter echoed across the glade.

                                                  *********

Several weeks later, after the disastrous attempt to cross Caradhras, and the sorrowful journey through Moria, the Fellowship members were relieved to be allowed to rest in Lothlórien. Their grief at the loss of Gandalf ran deep and it seemed natural that Aragorn should take over as the leader. He had spent much time with the Istari over the years and was well aware of the route they were to take, and the dangers ahead of them.

None of the travellers were impressed with the mistrust and even prejudice they were greeted with when they entered Lothlórien. Aragorn managed to convince Haldir to allow them to seek protection in the forest, reluctantly agreeing that all should be lead blind-folded to Caras Galadhon. Fortunately he had the favour of the Lady of Light, who sent word that all should walk freely to her city.

As they stood on the slopes of Cerin Amroth waiting for Haldir and Frodo to finish their walk to the hilltop, Aragorn cast his mind back to a more pleasant time, for it was here amongst the nephredil and elanor that he and Arwen had plighted their troth.

"This place holds fond memories for you, does it not?" asked Legolas quietly. The smile in Aragorn's eyes was all the answer he needed. "Fear not, for she will wait for you."

"I know, but I am beginning to feel that she will give up too much for me. I do not wish to see her waste away and die as a mortal; for that is the price she must pay to stay with me."

"The choice is Arwen's. She has given you her heart, and would willingly live a mortal life with you. That speaks to me of a deep and abiding love, and you would do well not to forget that immortal though we may be, we can not prevent our light from fading when our heart and soul grieves for a lost love,” counselled Legolas.

"Yes, I remember Thranduil telling you to beware of becoming too close to a mortal." Aragorn said, thinking back to when they had first become friends. It seemed so long ago.

"I too will bear the consequences, one day, but I would not choose otherwise," said Legolas sensing his friend's thoughts. Aragorn smiled gratefully for the open affirmation of their friendship.

                                                              *********

The nine companions found peace and tranquillity in Lothlórien, and it was all too soon that the time came for the journey south to continue. Celeborn suggested to Aragorn that they would be far safer travelling by boat.

"We will travel faster and more safely down the River than we will on land,” Aragorn said to Legolas as they discussed their plans one evening. "It is time we were leaving. Although the days pass slowly for us in this fair land, for those living outside these borders, it is not so."

"Yes," agreed Legolas. "The Shadow is growing in power and is moving swiftly to destroy the West. Even here I can feel it, though it is but a dim shadow in my mind while we are under the Lay’s protection. The sooner the Quest is completed, the better it will be for all."

"It is not only the evil from without we have to fear," Aragorn said deciding to confide in the Elf. "I can hear the call of the One Ring whispering my name, trying to draw me into its power."

"I too feel it, but for me it is as if an evil darkness is slowly devouring the light within me. It will seek to destroy us all, but I fear that it is preying on the weakness of Men,” he said looking pointedly over to where Boromir sat, lost in his thoughts of Minis Tirith and the great weapon he believed the Ring to be. Aragorn nodded.

"I fear that it already has a stronghold on Boromir. Frodo also believes he will try to take it and wield it himself."

"All the more reason to make haste and be rid of it, for none of us knows how long we can resist its call." Legolas said fervently.

"Both you and Gimli seem to be stronger, more able to keep from succumbing to the Ring's power. I hope you will continue to remind me of the dangers,” said Aragorn

"Ai, the Dwarf and I have lived long with the threat close to our homes, and perhaps that is why we are better able to resist its call. Have no fear mellon nin, I will give you what strength I can, should you need it," Legolas said reassuringly.

"That is a comforting thought, my friend and I thank you for it. But speaking of friends, how is it that you and the Dwarf are almost inseparable since arriving here?" Aragorn asked, curious as to the Elf's seemingly sudden change of opinion regarding Gimli.

"I have come to believe that the Quest will be in vain if the Nine cannot find peace and friendship amongst themselves. How can we destroy our enemies, if we are not united? My heart grieves for Gandalf, but also for the magnitude of the loss suffered by Gimli at Moria. I would be devastated to find Mirkwood in such a state," he said with tears in his eyes at the thought. "Our stay here has opened my eyes to the prejudice of some of my kinfolk, and I find that I am pleased to call Gimli friend."

"You are really very compassionate, my friend," Aragorn said, clasping Legolas' shoulder. "Perhaps you should speak to Boromir again, for I sense his distrust of Elves has returned."

"I doubt it ever really left him," Legolas replied.

                                                       ******

Aragorn remembered the Elf's words when Boromir confronted him one night as they made camp on the riverbanks. The Man of Gondor accused Aragorn of having more faith in Elves than in his fellow Man, of failing to see that men had courage and honour as well as weakness. Aragorn could not deny that there was some truth in Boromir's tirade and in his accusation that Aragorn feared to face his own destiny.

The argument was heard by both Legolas and Frodo, the latter becoming more fearful that Galadriel's prediction would come to pass, and that Boromir would try and steal the Ring. Legolas waited until Boromir had settled down for the night before approaching Aragorn. He sensed that his friend was angry and upset by the remarks, and offered the silent comfort of his company.

When Aragorn finally spoke, there was sadness in his voice. " I am afraid you were right about Boromir and his fear of Elves."

"I know,” Legolas replied simply, eliciting a smile from Aragorn. "However, I feel that part of his fear is a result of the sway the Ring holds over him, it is clouding his mind and his judgement. I think Boromir is an honourable and courageous Man trying to deal with a burden that is far too heavy to carry alone."

"I suppose you are going to say that I should help him and Gondor and that I should claim the Throne and unite the world of men in the battle against Sauron?" asked Aragorn.

"No, I do not presume to tell you what to do; you must look into your own heart for that answer. Do not be afraid to do what you know is right, but also do not forget that you are not alone." Aragorn took great comfort from the words of his friend.

As they passed through the Argonath, he felt the gaze of his forefathers on him, and he was suddenly filled with pride at being heir to such a worthy line. A new courage and strength of spirit filled his heart and soul, and for the first time he truly felt like the King he was to become. He glanced over to Legolas, who smiled and managed a courtly bow, acknowledging the heir of Isildur. 'No,’ he thought. 'I am not alone.’

It was this strength he called upon at Amon Hen when Frodo had been forced to flee from Boromir's attempt to steal the Ring. As he approached the hobbit to placate his fear, the evil voice called his names.

"Aragorn... Elessar."

The time he had always feared had come. Sauron was taunting him, daring him to take the Ring. Aragorn knew if he did, he would fall into the shadow, and that his people would be defeated. With the pride of his ancestry and the strength he drew from Legolas's and Arwen’s faith in him, he denied the voice and refused to let the Ring hold sway over him. He let Frodo go and turned to fight the Orcs, his battle cry of "Elendil!" ringing through forest.

The battle was fierce and although outnumbered Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli fought bravely until called by the horn of Gondor. Aragorn arrived too late to save Merry and Pippin from being captured, but took great satisfaction in defeating the leader of Saruman's minions.

It was with deep sadness that he realised he was also too late to save the courageous Boromir. As he bid a sad farewell to the Man of Gondor, he vowed to do whatever he could to keep the White City and his people safe. The Ring Bearer would have to continue his Quest, accompanied by Sam. He and the Elf and the Dwarf would track the Orcs and hopefully rescue the Hobbits.

"It would seem you have finally made your choice," Legolas said as they watched the grey Elven boat disappear over the falls.

"As I promised Boromir, I will do whatever the strength in my blood allows. I will not see the Hobbits harmed, nor will I see the White City fall to such evil."

 The determination in his voice left Legolas with no doubt that the King of Gondor was ready to come out of exile and reclaim his throne.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List