Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Friend, My Brother  by jenolas

Chapter 5. Destiny

As they entered the gates of Rivendell, Gilraen was waiting to meet them and happily flung herself into the open arms of her son, as Legolas watched the joyful reunion in melancholy silence. Even though she had been gone since he was a small child, his grief at the loss of his own mother could still overwhelm him at times. So lost in his memories was he that he was startled to hear his name being called rather loudly.

“Legolas!” Aragorn called for the second time. “Are you all right?” He asked with concern as he noticed the grief-stricken look in the Elf’s eyes.

“Yes,” he replied simply, but not truthfully. Gilraen moved to stand beside her son and Aragorn introduced her to his friend. Legolas took her hand and kissed it lightly.

“I am honoured to make your acquaintance, my Lady,” he said with all the charm and grace he possessed. Legolas thought she was still a truly beautiful woman, despite her advancing years.

“I am pleased to meet you, too Legolas, though I am truly sorry that our first meeting brought back such a sad memory for you.”  She had not missed the sorrow on the young Elf’s face either, and was well able to guess the cause. The loss of the Queen of Mirkwood to the call of the sea so many years ago had been a day mourned even in Rivendell. “I hope your stay with us will be a happy one.”

“I am sure it will be, thank you,” he said, forcing a smile.

“Come with me,” she said taking them both by an arm as she led them inside. “I have prepared a guest room in our apartments for Legolas, and once you have both refreshed yourselves, I want to hear all about your adventures.” Neither dared disobey the gentle yet firm request, and once they had bathed and changed into clean clothes, the young man and the elf made their way to Gilraen’s chambers.

She greeted them both warmly and indicted they should join her outside the balcony where they could enjoy the cool evening breeze and relax with the gentle susurration of the waterfall in the background. On a small table to one side was a tray bearing a light meal, and as the two hungry travellers ate the fill, Legolas listened with delighted amusement as found Aragorn’s mother told stories of her son when he was a child.

Gilraen, in turn, listened intently as Aragorn told her of his experiences in the south and of the darkness he could see casting a shadow over the lands. Elrond had hinted that the last King of Men would be needed to defeat the evil that was arising, and Gilraen felt it as well, but she had said nothing to Aragorn. The task of informing her son of his true destiny fell to Elrond, and she had willingly kept her silence, trusting in the Elf Lord’s wisdom to know when the time was right to do so. So it was that when Aragorn told her that he had met Arwen again in Lothlórien, and that they had plighted their troth, she became very upset.

“I told you before that such a match was not suitable, and I am sure Elrond would agree. I doubt that he will wish to give his daughter to a Mortal,” she told him angrily.

“The deed is done, Mother. I will ask Elrond for Arwen’s hand, as is proper. In fact, I will speak with him now!” Aragorn replied, his anger evident in his voice, but unconcealed hurt in his eyes.

“Do not act in haste, my friend, at least let your anger cool before you enter into what will apparently be a difficult discussion,” counselled Legolas as he put a hand out to restrain Aragorn as he stormed towards the door.

“That is an understatement, but there is sense in what you say,” he said with a grateful smile for his friend, and the silent support the firm grasp on his arm offered. Legolas inclined his head in acknowledgement, and then turned to address Gilraen.

“My lady, I do not wish to become involved in a disagreement between mother and son, but I know how much Aragorn loves Arwen, and I am very happy for them both. He has won the heart of an Elf, not an easy thing to do, and impossible to undo. I am sure that with patience and understanding, a love as true as theirs will overcome all obstacles,” he said.

“The first of which will be Lord Elrond, but I suggest would be wisest to confront him when you are rested and your thinking is clearer, and your anger has calmed,” she advised her son.  In this, both Legolas and Aragorn agreed.

                                                                                  *******

Early the next morning Aragorn steeled himself to his task and made his way to Elrond’s library. Legolas was waiting for him in the hallway.

“I have come to wish you good fortune in your quest,” he said with a grin. Aragorn nodded and smiled ruefully.

“I think I will need it,” he whispered as he knocked loudly on the door before he opened it and strode purposefully into the library where he found Elrond and Gandalf talking quietly on the balcony. Elrond looked around as he heard the young man approach.

“Ah, Estel. I was just about to send for you. Gandalf here believes he knows where Gollum is to be found,” said Elrond as he accepted the embrace of greeting offered by the young man with a pleased smile.

“Good morning Gandalf, you have brought good news indeed,” he said as he bowed respectfully to the Istar. “It is past time that the creature was placed safely in the care of Mirkwood. Do you also have news of the One Ring? Has it been found?” Aragorn spoke the words in a rush, relieved that his conversation with Elrond had been delayed. Suddenly he was beginning to feel rather nervous about the whole thing.

“One question at a time, please!” Gandalf replied. “Gollum was recently seen heading towards Mordor, not a destination one would choose unless he had good reason. I believe he has lost the Ring and thinks that it is to be found in the Dark Lord’s possession.”

“That makes sense,” said Elrond. “If he has lost the Ring, where is it? I am certain it is not in Mordor or Sauron would already be wielding its power.”

“That is true, but only Gollum has the answer to that question, hence the need to capture him as soon as possible. Aragorn and I should begin the search immediately,” replied Gandalf.

“I agree,” said Aragorn. “We can be ready to leave in a few hours, but first I would like a private word with Elrond.”

“As you wish. Send for me when your preparations are complete,” said Gandalf as he studied Aragorn’s face closely and then winked at his young friend. “All will be well, in time,” he whispered enigmatically as he passed him on his way out.

As soon as the door closed behind the wizard, Aragorn drew a deep breath and spoke.

“I do not wish to alienate you, Lord Elrond, for you have been like a father to me, but

I wish to ask you for Arwen’s hand in marriage,” he stated, having decided to be truthful and direct.

Elrond poured himself a glass of wine and walked out onto the balcony, glaring at Aragorn but saying nothing. Galadriel had already informed him of Arwen’s choice, but he did not want his beloved daughter bound to a Mortal. The longer the silence stretched, the more Aragorn feared that his request would be denied. Finally Elrond spoke, his voice like ice.

“Although I love you like a son, Estel, I shall not permit Arwen to be the bride of any Man less than the King of both Gondor and Arnor,” he stated with equal directness in return.

“You know that is the destiny I neither seek nor want, however, it is but a small price to pay for her hand. One day I will claim the Throne to which I am heir, and she will be my Queen. From now until that day arrives she remains your daughter, but she will ever be my reason for living,” he declared, unable to hide his disappointment that he had guessed Elrond’s answer correctly.

“So be it,” agreed Elrond, a part of him hoping that day would never come, but knowing deep in his heart that for Middle Earth to be free of darkness, Aragorn must prevail in the war to come.

“I believe you have preparations to make. I will bid you farewell and wish you success in your hunt for Gollum,” Elrond said, keeping his thoughts to himself.  Aragorn knew a dismissal when he heard one and with a polite bow to Elrond he left the room. Without a word to Legolas who was still outside waiting for him, he strode quickly down the hallway and disappeared from sight.

It did not take Legolas long to find him, standing on a small, secluded bridge underneath which a stream of clear water flowed. He could tell by his dejected stance that all had not gone well and he moved to his friend’s side, offering silent support until Aragorn was ready to speak.

“Mother was right about Elrond, he does not approve. He does not wish Arwen to be bound to a Mortal,” he said as he rested his arms on the bridge and stared into the water.

“Adar feels likewise, and warned me of the dangers of befriending a mortal as well. Yet as did Arwen’s, my heart chose otherwise. What else did he say, for I can sense that is not all that is upsetting you?”

“He will not give his consent unless I become the King of Gondor and Arnor,” Aragorn replied with a small measure of anger in his voice. It seemed that his unwanted destiny was being forced upon him.

“Are you not the rightful heir?” Legolas asked.

“Yes, but I do not wish to claim the throne, I have never wanted it. That is why I chose to remain in exile. I suppose you find that difficult to understand?” he asked unable to hide his despair from his friend.

“I have never wanted the throne either,” Legolas admitted to Aragorn’s surprise. “I have seen how difficult the life of a King, who is suffering eternal grief at the loss of his adar can be. I do not think I would have the strength to endure,” Legolas said softly, unwilling to contemplate the loss of Thranduil.

“I never thought of it like that, but it is very different for an Elf. My father is death was untimely, but all men die eventually. I am the last of the line of Kings of Men, yet I do not think I can be what I am expected to be,” he said sadly.

“Not even for Arwen?” Legolas asked quietly. “If she knows you as well as I do, I am sure she has complete faith in you, that you will find the strength to fulfil your destiny. Take your strength from us, for I will always be at your side and she will always be in your heart.” The passion and conviction in the Elf’s voice and words moved Aragorn deeply.

“I have no words to thank you, my friend,” he said, his voice raw with emotion. “I will accept Elrond’s challenge, difficult though it may be,” decided Aragorn.

“And I shall sing at your wedding,” Legolas promised, pleased to see the smile returned to Aragorn’s eyes.

“I look forward to that day,” he replied happily. “Now I must prepare for a hunting expedition with Gandalf. Gollum has been seen heading for Mordor.”

“Not before you have made peace with your lady mother, I hope?” said Legolas.

“No, I would not have her angry with me, and I am certain she is curious to know of the outcome of my meeting with Elrond. I shall go and speak with her at once, my wise friend,” replied Aragorn.

Gilraen was not surprised by Elrond's disapproval of a match between Arwen and Aragorn.

"It was to be expected, my son, Arwen is the light of his life, and he will not easily let her go. The destiny he expects of you is already set, all you have to do is acknowledge it,” she said gently.

"It is not that simple, Mother. I do not wish to wield power over anyone. I do not wish to be like my ancestors," he said adamantly.

"I know, and it is your path to choose, just as you have chosen to go with the wizard. This venture with Gandalf seems fraught with danger to me,” she said, unable to hide her concern as he embraced her tightly. "Must you leave so soon?"

"I am afraid so, but do not worry about me, Mother. I know not when I shall see you again, but never forget that I love you." He kissed her gently on the brow then released her and turned to Legolas. "Do you intend to stay on in Rivendell now that I have to leave?"

"No, as much as I appreciate your Mother's hospitality," he said with a polite bow to Gilraen, "I have been asked to accompany Elladan and Elrohir on a hunting trip." Legolas had known the Twins for quite some time, for their mothers had been good friends, and had often visited one another. Even after both Celebrían and the Queen of Mirkwood had travelled separately into the West, the friendship between the three had remained strong.

"I take it the spiders in Mirkwood had best beware?" laughed Aragorn, knowing full well that his foster brothers often spent time hunting the foul children of Shelob. He had rarely gone with them, for they always used to declare him too young. He suspected it was Gilraen who had prevented him joining in, for it was a dangerous pastime. He had grown to appreciate just how dangerous since he had met Legolas. The Elves of Mirkwood were expert hunters, but for them it was not a game but a matter of survival. It required much skill and patience to track spiders without becoming prey, for these creatures were possessed of some measure of evil and cruel intelligence.

"I would answer yes, if that is where we were heading, but it is not." Legolas said a little too smugly. "In fact we will be travelling to the north, near the borders of the Shire. There have been some reports from those of my kind who have made their way to the Grey Havens of strange, evil looking creatures in the forests in that area, possibly Orcs. We are going to see if the Halflings are in need of protection."

"My Rangers will gladly help ensure the safety of those innocents. I would not like to see the peace of the Shire destroyed by the Shadow,” Aragorn said without a second thought. Legolas raised an eyebrow.

"YOUR Rangers? It would seem that you have already begun to accept your fate,” he teased lightly.

"I am their leader, it was just a figure of speech,” Aragorn replied testily, he was tired of hearing about what others perceived lay in his future. Legolas looked at him sharply, sensing the sting of his pain.

"I feel your insecurity and uncertainty, but I have faith that when the time comes you will find the strength to do what you must for your people and for Arwen,” he said, placing a comforting hand on Aragorn's shoulder.

"I hope you are right, Legolas. I also hope that next time I see you, I will be able to hand Gollum over to your safe keeping."

                                                                                   *****

Many seasons passed before Aragorn finally captured the creature, Gollum in the Dead Marshes just outside of Mordor. He arrived in Mirkwood with his captive, and true to his word, Thranduil charged Legolas with the duty of making sure Gollum did not escape. Legolas was less than thrilled with having to look after the creature, but he also pitied him for having to be confined in the dark dungeons below Thranduil's Hall. Once Gollum was safely ensconced in his new home, Legolas and Aragorn went and sat beneath the oak tree that grew in their favourite spot in the courtyard. Aragorn lit his pipe and listened as Legolas related the past happenings in Mirkwood. He was highly amused to hear the tale of a group of Dwarves and a Hobbit who had escaped from Thranduil's dungeons.

"I would not let Adar hear you laughing too loudly over that incident," advised Legolas. "He was most upset that someone had found a means of escape."

"I am sure his pride was hurt," Aragorn agreed, "but he must see the humour in the incident as well."

"There is nothing amusing about the battle that his pride led us into, a totally unnecessary fight over gold." Aragorn was startled by the disgust he heard in the Elf's voice. Legolas was very upset with Thranduil and it showed. "Had he let Thorin and his companions be about their business, many lives would have been spared."

Aragorn heard anger and contempt in the normally gentle voice. Although he knew that Legolas was quite capable of killing when necessary, the loss of any life was painful for this sensitive soul. He also did not like seeing his friend at odds with his father, for he had a great deal of respect for the Woodland King.

"Do not judge him too harshly, Legolas. There is much to be admired about your father. He is a very great and powerful King whose subjects all adore him; he has fought in many wars and suffered great losses, and now fights to protect his Realm from the forces of evil. Surely you do not condemn him for his one weakness?"

"You are right, I should have more compassion, but do not mistake my anger for hate. Even though I can not find it in my heart to forgive him at present, I love him dearly,” Legolas explained.

"That is as it should be,” Aragorn said, wishing again that he had had the chance to know Arathorn. Legolas could feel the sudden sadness in his friend, and somehow knew the cause.

"I too would have liked to meet your father. Judging by his son, he was also a great man among Men."

"I thought you said Elves could not read minds," Aragorn said startled by his friend's perceptive ability.

"We can not, but I have come to know you well enough to be able to read your thoughts from the expression on your face,’ Legolas explained.

"Really? What am I thinking now?" he asked, daring the Elf to answer. Legolas studied his friend's face and laughed.

"That I have no idea how difficult it has been for you, being raised among elves without the benefit of having elvish abilities." Aragorn nodded, indicating Legolas was correct. The chiming of the bell for the meal interrupted their conversation.

"I can tell what you are thinking now, Legolas," he said as they made their way to the dining hall. "You are hoping that the wine is from your father's private cellar."

                                                                     *******

Several months after Aragorn had left Mirkwood, Legolas decided to allow Gollum out into the sunshine and fresh air for a time. Guarding the creature was becoming a boring task for the Elves, and Legolas felt sorry for confining him to the darkness of the dungeons.

It turned out to be a fatal mistake. Somehow the creature had communicated with the minions of Sauron, and the Elves who were guarding him were attacked and slain. The creature Gollum escaped, leaving the Elves of Mirkwood devastated at the loss of their friends. Legolas took total responsibility for the disaster which he felt resulted from his own weakness.

“Trying to be kind is not a weakness,” Thranduil said as he tried to comfort his son. “There is an evil at work here that is beyond even my power to control.”

Thranduil decided to send his son to Rivendell to inform Elrond and Gandalf of the escape, and the even more disturbing news that Sauron apparently had spies in Mirkwood, perhaps even in his own Hall.

"Be careful, Legolas, there are many strange and dangerous creatures in my Woods now and Orcs await the unwary who use the mountain pass," Thranduil warned his son and his escorts as they prepared to ride to Rivendell.

"I will be careful, Adar," The look in Legolas' eyes told Thranduil that his son no longer harboured any anger towards him over the Dwarves and he was pleased that they had finally resolved their differences.

                                                                                       *****

The Council of Elrond had decided to send a fellowship of Nine to Mount Doom to destroy the One Ring. Legolas and Aragorn were two of the Fellowship.

"I am sorry I let him escape, Aragorn," Legolas said as they made preparations to leave for Mordor.

"I do not blame you, my friend. I think it was a well-planned 'rescue'. I am sure Sauron tortured him for the information about the Ring, but who knows what his Fate is now? I am pleased that you are one of the nine, for we will need elvish hearing and sight, not to mention your ability to sense Orcs, on this Quest."

"I could not refuse, especially since Gimli son of Glóin is to be coming with us. Did you know his father was one of the Dwarves my father imprisoned?"

"I do now. I noticed that there was a certain amount of hostility between you two. It will not be a problem, I hope?” he asked uncertainly, unable to even guess what Legolas was thinking.

"No more so than between you and Boromir," he countered. "I sense some hostility there, too."

"Not a very auspicious beginning then, is it?" Aragorn commented.

"As long as we remember our common goal there should be no need for concern,” Legolas said. "Tell me, have you told Arwen of your meeting with her father?"

Aragorn was not surprised by the sudden change of subject. It was one of Legolas's habits to which he had actually grown accustomed.

"We have spoken. We have decided not to press the issue, for now is not really the right time. Elrond has much more important concerns at present."

"Probably a wise decision," Legolas agreed, not elaborating further as Elrond walked up to them.

"Legolas, I received a message for you from your father," he said, handing him an envelope displaying the seal of the King of Mirkwood. “I will send a reply if you wish."

"Thank you." Legolas said as he quickly read Thranduil’s message wishing him a successful journey and a safe return home. Legolas blinked back the tears as he read the final words,

"…..be well, be safe, my beloved son."

"There is no need for a reply," he said to Elrond. "Adar knows my thoughts."

As dusk approached the Fellowship said their final farewells and passed through the great stone archway that marked the start of their journey.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List