Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Friend, My Brother  by jenolas

Chapter 7.  War is Waged.

The Fellowship was broken. The three remaining companions could no longer help the Ring Bearer and his faithful friend, Sam. All they could do was watch helplessly as the two Hobbits disappeared into the woods on the eastern bank of the river, making their way into Mordor and whatever fate awaited them.

Rather than let despair overwhelm them, the three vowed to follow the soldiers of Saruman and try and rescue Merry and Pippin from his evil clutches. Leaving behind all but their weapons, the packs containing lembas and their water skins, they ran swiftly in the direction the Orcs had taken. It did not take Aragorn long to pick up the trail, for the foul creatures cared not whether they were followed.

"These Orcs are moving at a very rapid pace," Aragorn commented. "I fear they are well ahead of us already."

Legolas was filled with anger at the wanton destruction the Orcs left in their wake. They delighted in uprooting bushes and breaking the low hanging branches from the trees.

"When we catch our prey, I will gladly make each one pay for taking Merry and Pippin, but I will also have revenge for the needless damage they cause to all living things,” he vowed with ice-cold fury in his voice and a deadly look in his eyes. Gimli was impressed by just how fearsome a warrior his friend had become in his anger.

"I am glad I am his friend," he whispered in aside to Aragorn, who laughed quietly.

"As am I. He certainly makes a formidable foe, a quality I fear we will have need of in the future." Gimli grunted agreement.

They ran like the wind, until the lack of food and sleep forced Aragorn called a halt, for both he and Gimli were exhausted.

"I have no need for sleep, I will keep watch tonight,” offered Legolas whose elvish endurance had not yet reached its limits. Something in his tone of voice disturbed Aragorn, and he studied his friend warily but said nothing. Everyone was on edge, and perhaps it was just his imagination, or a result of too much worry and too little rest.

When, for the third night in a row, Legolas insisted on taking the watch, Aragorn knew that the Elf was not himself. He was about to speak to Legolas when Gimli pulled him aside.

"Aragorn, I fear our friend is not well, something disturbs him deeply. Do you know what it is?" he asked lowering his voice so the Elf did not hear his concern.

"No, but I suggest you get some rest while I see if he will speak with me." Gimli agreed, his worry for his friend preventing the Dwarf from taking offence at the implication that he needed rest. He settled into his bedroll, using a smooth flat rock as a pillow and was soon fast asleep.

Aragorn sat by the fire watching as Legolas wandered around the glade where they had made camp, singing softly to himself and every now and then staring up at the bright stars. Legolas felt Aragorn's eyes on him and turned to face his friend's worried stare.

"What is it Aragorn?" he asked, coming to sit beside him.

"I was just about to ask you the same thing. Both Gimli and I have noticed you are not your usual infuriating self. What is wrong, are you ill?" Legolas smiled and raised his eyebrow.

"You know Elves do not suffer illness,” he replied scornfully.

"And that is an elvish answer. Since you avoid my real question, I am certain something is amiss. Is it anything I can help you with?" Aragorn asked, daring to lift the Elf’s chin with a gentle touch so that their eyes met. Legolas sighed and could not deny his friend the truth.

"Ever since I left Mirkwood I have felt the Shadow grow stronger, its darkness threatens to envelope me. Do you remember the first time you came to my home?" Legolas asked seemingly changing the subject.

"Of course." Aragorn replied, slightly puzzled as to his friend's train of thought.

"What do you remember of your first meeting with Adar?" he asked, smiling slightly at Aragorn’s increased confusion.

"I was a little scared of him at first, his demeanour was very intimidating,” Aragorn said, casting his mind back to that day.

“A common reaction for many, but do you know why?” Legolas asked. Aragorn thought for a few moments, and then nodded slowly as understanding dawned.

 "I realise now that is his strength as an Elf of Sindar origin that makes him appear so, as well as the certainty that he possesses enough power to hold the shadow at bay, even though he is not a bearer of an Elven Ring,” he replied, looking to Legolas to confirm his thoughts.

"Ai, and the longer I am away from the protection of his powers, the more my light seems to diminish,” explained the Elf.

"You are homesick," Aragorn stated simply.

"Perhaps. I have never been away from my home, and my trees for this length of time. I long to be walking the paths under the trees of Mirkwood, or joining in a midnight feast with my Woodland kinfolk,” Legolas replied wistfully.

"Or even running through the tree tops?" asked Aragorn with fond memories of the day that Legolas convinced him to climb a tree. The Elf smiled at the shared memory and nodded.

“I stay awake at night now so that I can draw strength from the stars, but even they do not always offer comfort." A sad sigh escaped his lips.

"Do you wish to return home? As Elrond said, there is no disgrace in leaving if you wish, especially now, since the Fellowship is no more.” Aragorn reminded him, hoping that Legolas would not accept that solution.

"No. I swore to help rescue Merry and Pippin, and I have no wish to break my pledge to be at your side until you find your destiny. In regards to my feelings, I am merely being a 'mysterious Elf' as Boromir would say. Have no fear, Aragorn, I will overcome the darkness within me, I still intend to sing at your wedding, you know!" Aragorn was not surprised at the mercurial change of mood and he was pleased to see the cheerful gleam return to his friend's eyes.

"As you wish," he laughed. "Shall I stand watch tonight?"

"No, you should get some sleep while you can, for I have a feeling that there will be little chance to do so in days to come." Aragorn returned to his bedroll and closed his eyes as the comforting sound of sweet Elf song drifted over him.

Gimli awoke the next morning to see Legolas cheerfully unpacking the lembas and water that was to be their breakfast, as it was, to Gimli's dismay, also every other meal.

"I am glad to see you have recovered from whatever it was that ailed you, Master Elf. If you ask me, you might consider taking up smoking the pipe, it is a very good way to relax," he said as he puffed away on his. Legolas graced him with a look of pure disgust.

"I thank you for your concern, but let me assure you, friend Gimli, that I will never resort to such an unpleasant pastime,” he declared.

"Humph!" muttered Gimli.

"I see you two are back to your usual selves this morning," Aragorn commented, having overheard the conversation.

"Good morning to you, Aragorn. I was just trying to help, but this crazy Elf will not listen to common sense." Aragorn laughed heartily, and replied.

"If I were you, Gimli, I would not waste my time, for Legolas is also a very stubborn Elf." Legolas chose to ignore them both and glanced into the cloudy sky instead.

"I can feel that the sun has already risen. It is time we were on our way. It pains me to think of the Halflings being forced to endure their captivity any longer than necessary,” he said as he handed out the morning's ration of lembas which they ate as they followed the trail that lead them ever closer to Isengard and Saruman.

Aragorn took the lead as they followed the trail that headed northwest, for he knew something of the land in these parts. As they continued their desperate chase, all three kept a sharp look out for any sign that would indicate the Hobbits were alive and well. Fortune was with them and it was with much relief that Aragorn finally spotted the tracks of Hobbit feet leading off the main path. Legolas and Gimli waited as Aragorn followed the footprints, for he was by far the most experienced tracker and they did not want to destroy any clues he might find.

"I have found something," Aragorn shouted jubilantly from the undergrowth. "It is Pippin's leaf brooch that he received from Galadriel." Legolas and Gimli inspected the find and the tracks that indicated that the Hobbits had been there and were still alive. There was much debate as to whether they had indeed escaped, and if so, where were they now?

"These Orcs are unlike any I have encountered before," commented Legolas as they took a short rest break. "They are travelling swiftly and in the daylight."

"Yes," agreed Aragorn. "The distance between us is increasing every hour. I fear we will not overtake them and if we do not, there is little chance of rescue. We three are no matches for the forces of Isengard."

"No, but I will gladly wield my axe and remove as many heads as I can before I fall!" exclaimed Gimli demonstrating his technique on an imaginary foe. Aragorn was impressed by his courage, but Legolas simply laughed.

"I can not allow you to behave in such a foolhardy manner, friend Gimli. Even this 'crazy Elf' as you often call me, would not dare engage in such folly," Legolas commented wryly.

"Legolas is right, it would be folly." Aragorn said, smiling at the disappointed look on the Dwarf's face. "Do not be disappointed, I am sure your axe will have plenty of opportunity to do battle in the days ahead." Gimli muttered something under his breath and sat on a nearby rock and lit his pipe while Aragorn and Legolas made their way to the top of the hill.

"You seem to have become very close friends with Gimli," Aragorn said as they stood surveying the landscape below. "I can not imagine you allowing anyone else call you 'crazy'!"

"We spent a lot of time together in Lothlórien, for he felt very much alone. Not all Elves harbour ill will towards Dwarfs, once they become better acquainted,” said Legolas with a slight shrug as if his friendship and love of the Dwarf was commonplace.

"Just as Man and Elf have become Allies once more," Aragorn said, grasping the Elf’s shoulder in a gesture of affection.

"Our two Races may be considered such, but you and I are more than Allies, are we not? We are friends and brothers fighting for a common cause,” Legolas said, returning the gesture in kind.

"I am honoured to be both your friend and brother," replied Aragorn, sensing for the first time the depth and intensity of the Elf's emotions towards him.

"Do you know where we are?" Legolas asked, suddenly shifting the conversation back to their quest. Already he was beginning to realise the grief the future held for him and he did not wish to dwell on Aragorn’s mortality. "I have not travelled this far away from Mirkwood before."

"We are nearing the grasslands of Rohan," Aragorn replied, pointing to the green plains in the distance. "I once travelled here, many years ago."

"I remember you mentioning that you had been in Edoras during your wanderings," Legolas said. "I hope you still have the favour of the Lord of the Mark, for I can see Riders approaching." A dark speck had appeared on the horizon, moving rapidly across the green plains.

"Once again your keen eyesight aids us," Aragorn said gratefully. "Perhaps we have come across help unlooked for in our time of need."

They made their way to the foot of the hill and sat quietly waiting for the golden haired Riders of Rohan to reach them. The elven cloaks of Lothlórien they still wore were said to make the wearer almost invisible and this proved to be the case. The host had all but passed them by when Aragorn called to them. In a skilled manoeuvre horsemen armed with spears quickly surrounded them. Éomer, Third Marshal of the Mark was their leader and he demanded to know who they were and what business brought them to the Riddermark. Aragorn explained that they were seeking to rescue the Halflings from their captors and was alarmed to hear that the band of Orcs was no more. The Riders had killed them all under the eaves of Fangorn, and nothing remained of the creatures except their ashes.

After much discussion, Aragorn finally convinced Éomer to lend them horses, rather than take them to Edoras as trespassers. Gimli flatly refused to ride, but with much persuasion accepted Legolas' offer to ride behind him on Arod, the horse he was given. Aragorn vowed, as a sign of good faith to return both Arod and Hasufel to Meduseld when their quest was ended and the Riders departed to their battle in the south. The three companions rode quickly to the outskirts of Fangorn where the massacre of the Orcs had taken place, ever in the hope that Merry and Pippin had not been mistakenly taken for enemies.

A camp was set under a large chestnut tree and Gimli made a small fire, heeding Aragorn's warning not to harm any living tree.

Legolas saw to the care of the horses and with a quiet word of comfort to Arod, left them tethered in a sheltered place beneath the leafy branches. He moved away from the others and stood staring into the forest, listening to the distant sounds of the trees of Fangorn, voices only he could hear.

Aragorn wandered up to him and placed a brotherly hand on Legolas' shoulder, startling him out of his reverie.

"I think you should try and sleep tonight," he said in a tone of voice that was more of a command than a suggestion. Grey eyes smiled at him with delight as the Elf bowed and answered in the same formal tone of voice he used when speaking to Thranduil as his King, not as his father.

"As you command, My Lord."

Aragorn had never before been addressed in such a manner, even in jest, and although he laughed at the words, a part of him accepted them as his due. Legolas sensed the subtle change in his friend, and for a brief moment he caught a glimpse of the King that Aragorn was destined to become.

The moment passed, as did Aragorn's concern over the Elf's lack of sleep for Legolas agreed to let Gimli take the first watch and settled peacefully into the misty realm of elven dreams. Aragorn also quickly fell asleep, leaving the Dwarf to his pipe and the comfort of the fire.

Late into Gimli's watch, there was the sound of disturbance from where the horses were tethered and it was quickly discovered that they had been set free. It appeared that Éomer’s warning had been timely and that Saruman, in the guise of an old man, was responsible for the treacherous deed.

The next morning they searched the blackened area where the fire had been set by the Riders to burn the corpses, as well as in the surrounding forest. It was Aragorn who triumphantly produced the first evidence that the Hobbits were alive; he found the lembas crumbs and the leaf in which the way bread had been wrapped. Close by he also found cut cords and he tracked their movements that lead directly into Fangorn.

"Celeborn warned us not to enter here," he said as they cautiously made a path through the woods. "Do you know why, Legolas?"

"No, unless it was because these ageless tree do not want to be disturbed. I sense the shadow of evil far off in the distance, but not in this part of the forest. There is no danger to us as long as we do no harm to any living tree,” he said looking pointedly at Gimli's axe.

"I only used branches and twigs which were already dead on the ground for my fire," Gimli said loudly, annoyed with the sudden interest in his axe but looking around nervously all the same.

"See, even a Dwarf knows how to talk to trees," Legolas whispered in Aragorn's ear. They both laughed at the memory of the day Aragorn had accused Legolas of conspiring with a certain tree in Mirkwood.

The atmosphere in the forest was thick and stifling and Legolas suggested they climb a nearby hill in search of fresh air. It was then they noticed the old man following them and they awaited him with weapons drawn, thinking him to be Saruman. To the utter astonishment of all, the old man was none other than their friend, the Istari known as Mithrandir to Legolas and Gandalf to Gimli and Aragorn.

The three totally amazed companions were pleased to hear that he knew Merry and Pippin were safe and well and under the protection of the Ents and they listened intently to what he could tell them of his battle with the Balrog in the depths of Moria and his resurrection and recovery in Lothlórien. Aragorn listened in thoughtful silence as Gandalf relayed a message from Galadriel, not quite understanding its meaning. Legolas felt something beautiful yet sad tug at his soul when he heard her warning to him about the sea.

They all smiled at her light-hearted words to Gimli about being careful with his axe. The Dwarf eyed his friends suspiciously, wondering if they had somehow been in contact with the beautiful Lady of Light.

"We must make haste to aid Théoden King, for war is brewing," Gandalf the White said when he had finished his tale. "Isengard and Mordor seek to destroy Rohan."

They followed him silently as he led them out of Fangorn, stopping only to signal for Shadowfax, his horse. The great white steed galloped to his master bringing with him Arod and Hasufel and they rode swiftly to Meduseld.

The single trees merged into one large, green canopy as they left Fangorn behind and Legolas vowed silently to return one day, for he greatly desired to spend more time in the ageless forest.

                                                            ********


Upon their arrival at Edoras, the three companions witnessed a remarkable change come over Gandalf. The gentle yet subtle advice of Gandalf the Grey was replaced with the authority and power of Gandalf the White.

"He speaks more like a general in a King's Army than a wizard," whispered Aragorn to Legolas as they watched him convince Théoden to denounce the lies of Grima Wormtongue as he removed Saruman’s spell from the King.

"I sense he is using more than words," Legolas replied. He had once asked Thranduil if, as he had long suspected, Gandalf was in possession of the third Elven ring, Narya. Thranduil had neither confirmed nor denied it, and had made it plain that such was not a subject for discussion, particularly with spies of Sauron everywhere.

"Wizardry, you mean?" asked Aragorn.

"Of a kind," was the enigmatic reply.

"Well, whatever he is using, it worked," stated Aragorn as the Rohirrim were called to battle, lead by their revitalised King.  Théoden ordered his people to seek the safety of Helm’s Deep, for it was from there he sought to defend his kingdom.

                                                                   ******

From his vantage point on the parapet of the Deeping Wall, Legolas could see thousands of small fires moving swiftly through the night, the enemy was rapidly approaching and the battle would soon begin.

"We are sorely outnumbered," Aragorn commented as he approached, following his friend's gaze into the darkness.

"Yes, as I said to Gimli, I would that we had archers from Mirkwood here, for there are too few amongst the Rohirrim. Alas, I fear that even should they desire to come to our aid, they could not. The shadow in my heart tells me that my home is even now under attack from Dol Guldur. I should be there," Legolas said sadly as he looked northward and Aragorn felt the sudden melancholy in his friend's mood.

"No, I need you here, by my side." The words were simple but expressed with warmth and sincerity that Legolas had often felt from Aragorn, but had seldom heard him speak. "Perhaps you do not realise just how greatly I value the support, encouragement and confidence you have shown me over the years. You have given me the strength to finally stop running from my unwanted destiny, to lead the Race of Men into a new dawn."

"I have not given you anything you did not already posses, except for the bond of friendship, nay, brotherhood we now share,” Legolas replied shaking his head in denial and daring to speak of his own feelings for the first time. A radiant smile accompanied his words as he continued. "It was my choice to follow you after the Fellowship was broken, and with you I will remain, not only because I believe in the cause we are fighting for, but because I believe in you." Overwhelmed by emotion, Aragorn drew Legolas into a brotherly embrace and when they parted, he held the Elf's gaze as he asked for an answer to his question.

"Now tell me, as brother to brother, what is it that has been disturbing you ever since we left Parth Galen?" Legolas was silent for so long that Aragorn thought he would not answer and he almost missed hearing Legolas whisper with heartbreaking despair.

"An evil I can not abide. A nameless fear,” he whispered into the night.

"Try to tell me about it," encouraged Aragorn.

“I still feel as if my light is slowly fading, my 'homesickness' as you named it. But that is not all, for as we move closer to Mordor, the Shadow gains strength and its evil begins to place a blanket of darkness around my soul, and I feel as if it is trying to draw me into its realm. I am afraid I will succumb, for the light I possess is no match for the darkness."
The look of despair and defeat on his friend’s face tore at Aragorn’s heart.


"You should have said something sooner, for it pains me to think that you would suffer in silence. I may not be an Elf, but I understand what you are describing, for I felt much the same when the One Ring tried to tempt me. It is your turn to take strength from me, for I will not let Sauron defeat you, nor take you from my side." The words were spoken with the full power and majesty of his ancestry, and Legolas was both impressed by the nobility of the future King and reassured by the total confidence, and brotherly love he felt from Aragorn. He felt as if a weight was lifted from his heart.

He felt even better when the battle of the Hornburg was over, for not only had they been victorious, but also he and Gimli had engaged in a very satisfying competition to see who could claim to have taken the most Orc heads.

When they rode with Gandalf to Isengard to inspect the aftermath of the attack by Treebeard and his Ents, all three were overjoyed to find Merry and Pippin sitting on the ruined steps of Saruman's fortress. They spent a pleasant afternoon regaling each other with the tales of their exploits whilst they had been separated. When Gandalf returned with King Théoden from their visit with Treebeard, the company left Saruman and Wormtongue in Isengard safely guarded by the Ents and headed back to Helm's Deep.

The appearance of the Black Rider, the Nazgûl, after Pippin mistakenly looked into the palantir of Orthanc, caused much concern and Gandalf rode with him to warn Minas Tirith that the Shadow had arisen and his eye was set on their destruction. Such would have been achieved, but for the arrival by River of Aragorn and his Grey Company, with the banner of Elendil which Arwen had woven for her love: the White Tree of Gondor surrounded by Seven Stars with a crown above it, flying from the mast of the flagship.

                                                                    *******

Despairing that Frodo and Sam had never reached Mordor, Aragorn and the Lords of Gondor and their army of six thousand brave men marched to the very gates of Barad-Dur. The mists of Mordor shrouded the land, making the place seem more desolate still, as the Army of the West made a final camp before the assault of the Black Gates of Mordor.

Legolas stood to one side of the camp resting his hand on one of the only trees that still retained a spark of life. His thoughts had once again turned to Mirkwood and the sadness he felt that he could not be there for Thranduil and his people. A sweet elvish voice filled the area as Legolas sang a lament for his beloved forest and all the lives lost in the battle with the Shadow. It was also a lament for him, for he had heard the cry of the gull as Galadriel had foreseen, and knew that before long he would have to answer the call of the sea. In a sudden flash of hindsight, he realised this was the feeling that had been pulling at his soul ever since Gandalf had given him the message from Lórien.

Aragorn heard the melancholy song and moved from the fire he was tending to join his friend.

"Homesick again?" he asked gently, choosing to ignore the tears of sadness which welled in the soulful eyes. Legolas turned to him knowing that his friend would understand his grief.

"So many, Aragorn… so many have fallen to the Shadow already, and so many more to come. I finally begin to understand Adar’s fears and why his rule seems so harsh. We are about to fight a battle that should have been over three thousand years ago." Aragorn merely nodded a silent agreement.

"Yes, I wish that Isildur had had the strength to resist the power of the One Ring and destroy it, the cost of keeping it has been far too high,” he said sadly, for not only had many lives been lost, but also on the journey to Pelargir, he had lost his dearest friend to the sea longing that had been awakened by the gulls.

 "You resisted the temptation, heir of Isildur, you let Frodo go," Legolas reminded him as he placed a hand on Aragorn's shoulder. "You do not have the same weakness as you forefather. However, you would also be wise not to forget that he was also a great leader before he gave in to darkness. Look around you at the men, of all races, who follow you. They see the greatness in you, they have faith that you will defeat Sauron and that Middle Earth will be free from the shadow." The absolute confidence in the Elf's eyes boosted Aragorn's spirit.

"I will, I swear, and my brother in arms, the grandson of Oropher will be beside me to help ensure that Sauron's evil army is destroyed,” he vowed as he clasped Legolas's arm in a warrior's grip.


 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List