Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Friend, My Brother  by jenolas

Chapter 4.   A Cry For Help

Many years had passed since Aragorn last visited Mirkwood and Mithrandir arrived unexpectedly at Thranduil’s Hall one day with news that, although he was still searching for Gollum, it had been necessary to send Aragorn south on an errand that would last many decades. It was a short time as reckoned by Elves, but far too long for Legolas's liking for he missed the company of his human friend. Nevertheless, he found the time passed quickly as he became heavily involved in the protection of the Woodland realm. The numbers of orcs and spiders were ever increasing, as were the frequency of their attacks, and it was a constant battle to prevent the darkness spreading ever further north. Legolas often led one of the hunting parties that Thranduil had finally deemed him experienced enough to join.

One day, late in the afternoon, Legolas and his party were seated around a small campfire. They were all weary from having just battled a band of orcs that had attacked them as they patrolled near the outskirts of the forest. The Elves had eventually defeated the creatures, but had not come away unscathed. Legolas had a nasty gash on his arm from an orc blade, the edge of which had been poisoned, and although he had taken the antidote they all carried with them, he was feeling light headed and nauseated. He made a comfortable bed in the soft grass, and as he lay there he gazed up to see the first stars became visible in the evening sky. He was very weary, and weak from the effect of the poison so before long his eyes had glazed over and he slept.

He awoke with a start several hours later, certain that someone had called his name. The two Elves who were on watch had not seen or heard anything, and Legolas decided it must have been an after effect of the poison. His arm was almost healed already, but he was still feeling a little strange. He lay back down, and tried to get some more sleep. As he drifted into the world of waking dreams, he heard the voice again.

"Legolas! Help!"

He sat up quickly, suddenly wide-awake. He knew that voice, it belonged to Aragorn. How could it be? He knew the Ranger had not yet returned from the south, but he felt that his friend was in some kind of danger. Closing his eyes, he reached out with his elven senses, searching for the source of the voice. He felt a very weak link to Aragorn as his voice whispered inside his head,

"Spiders. Help me."

Realising that Aragorn was in grave danger, Legolas did not wait to rouse his comrades but headed alone for the part of Mirkwood inhabited by the spiders. The link he felt with Aragorn was very weak, and as he neared the lair, it was becoming weaker as the toxin the spider had injected into its prey took hold. Aragorn was slowly losing consciousness. He must have realised this, Legolas decided as a final silent plea reached him.

"Enchanted River."

So, he was somewhere near the Enchanted River, probably close to the Elf Path, thought Legolas. It was some distance from where the main lair was but the occasional spider had been seen in the trees there, waiting for the unwary that strayed from the protection of the pathway. Legolas approached cautiously for his senses were also telling him that he was being watched from above. Looking up, he saw two bright, evil black eyes following his movements and he decided to draw the spider out into the open where he could ensure that the creature was killed, not merely injured. Stepping off the path he headed into the murky forest, his bow at the ready. The spider moved into view and instantly fell dead to the ground, Legolas's arrow through its ugly head.

The link with Aragorn had almost faded, and Legolas knew that he must find his friend quickly for it was likely that other spiders would come, sensing prey. He found him high in the tree where the spider had been, wrapped in a cocoon of spider web. Taking his knife, he quickly released his friend and settled him in fork of two large branches. Aragorn was barely conscious but found it easier to breathe now that the constricting spider web had been removed. He managed a weak smile of thanks.

"We seem to spend much of our time together in trees, do we not?" he whispered.

"Yes, it is fortunate that I taught you how to climb," Legolas agreed with a twinkle in his eye. "Do you have something in this healer's pouch of yours that will help you recover?" he asked as he took it from Aragorn's belt and held it in his line of sight. The Ranger nodded and selected a few leaves, which he placed in his mouth and chewed, swallowing the medicine with a draught of water from the water skin that Legolas handed to him. It took only a few minutes before Aragorn started to feel much more alert, although he had trouble moving, for the spider toxin had rendered him partially paralysed.

"Thank you for rescuing me, my friend," he said to Legolas. "How did you find me, or for that matter, how did you even know I was in Mirkwood?"

"I was injured fighting orcs and the combined effects of the poison and the antidote heightened my senses. In your delirium you called to me for help and I heard you." Legolas explained simply. "It would seem that we have developed a bond of some kind."

"How.?" Aragorn began to ask, when Legolas silenced him with a wave of his hand. He peered into the trees for felt danger approaching, probably more spiders.

"We can discuss this later, but right now we are in grave danger. Can you move at all?"

"I think so." Aragorn replied, annoyed that his body did not really wish to cooperate with his demands. "Although I doubt that I can climb down," he admitted reluctantly.

"It is not that far to the ground, I will go first and catch you, should you fall," Legolas said.

Rather than try to climb, Aragorn let himself fall, trusting his friend to catch him. Once on the ground he was relieved that, although his legs were still very weak, he was able to walk slowly, using Legolas as support. They made their way to the Path and reached it just as several more spiders appeared in the trees.

"Fate works in mysterious ways", thought Legolas with relief as his hunting party, who had been searching for their leader, arrived just in time to protect him from attack. Once the spiders were taken care of they found a spot by the banks of the Enchanted River where they could rest in safety before continuing the short distance to the Woodland King's Halls. 

Despite Aragorn’s protests that he could walk on his own, it soon became obvious that this was not the case. He flatly refused to suffer the indignity of being carried on a stretcher, as Legolas had suggested, so instead he fashioned himself a walking stick from a dead branch. The journey was slower than the Elves would have wished, but their destination was not all that far ahead. By the time they had reached Thranduil’s Hall, the effects of the poison had diminished markedly.  Nevertheless, Legolas insisted on sending for the Healer once he had settled his friend in the guest chambers he had used on his previous visit.

“I have not had to treat a human before, but as far as I can tell, your friend is recovering well. I have given him some medication to counteract the poison and he should be able to walk again in the morning. I suggest he rest in bed until then. I think that you also should rest, Legolas, for I can tell that although the gash on your arm is almost healed you are not totally over the effects of the Orc poison yourself.” 

“Thank you, I will take some rest soon,” Legolas said, relieved that his friend was indeed recovering.

 “I will be back to see you later,” the Healer said turning to address Aragorn, startling the human, who was beginning to think he was invisible. He nodded his head in silent thanks but as soon as the Healer left he attempted to get out of bed. 

“What do you think you are doing?” asked Legolas as he glared at his friend.

“I am feeling much better and I do not intend to stay bedridden,” Aragorn replied with a shrug. It was not entirely the truth for a great weariness suddenly overcame him and it was only the swiftness of an Elf’s reflexes that saved him from collapsing onto the floor.

 “I think you would do well to follow the Healer’s advice,” he said as he helped Aragorn back into bed.  “In fact, I think I shall stay here and rest as I was ordered. I intend to make certain that you do likewise.” Aragorn’s protest died on his lips as Legolas favoured him with a look that told him arguing the point would be a waste of time.

“If you must ‘nurse maid’ me, at least let us discuss what happened,” he grumbled. “How did you know where to look for me?”   

“Perhaps you would like to explain what you were doing in amongst the spiders in the first place?” asked a commanding voice from the doorway. They exchanged a look of surprise at the unexpected visitor.

“Surely you did not forget the danger of leaving my Path?” Thranduil asked with a hint of amusement in his voice. 

“Greetings, Your Majesty,” Aragorn replied formally. “I did not forget your warnings, but I was surprised by a band of Orcs. Knowing I was sorely outnumbered, I had no choice but to seek refuge in the trees.” Legolas smiled brilliantly at this admission, but said nothing.

“Orcs? Before sunset? That is disturbing news. I must inform Mithrandir of that, the next time he finds his way here,” Thranduil commented with some concern. “Despite the fact that you invited danger, I am pleased that no harm has come to you and I welcome you once again to Mirkwood.”  Although he had warned his son of the danger of becoming involved with a mortal, Thranduil respected Legolas’s choice of friends.

“I hear you were injured, too, Legolas. I trust you have healed well also?” he asked studying his son’s slightly pale face, an indication that he was not yet fully recovered. 

“It was just a small gash, and I no longer feel the effects of the poison,” Legolas replied, dismissing the issue in favour of seeking information.

 “Adar, maybe you can enlighten us with regards to the experience we shared?” Legolas asked looking to Aragorn for permission to continue with such a personal subject.  Aragorn nodded agreement and the Elf quickly explained how he had been delirious and heard his friend’s call for help, and how the link had enabled him to find and rescue Aragorn. Thranduil looked thoughtful for a moment, then questioned Aragorn further.

“Why did you call to Legolas? What made you think he would hear you?” 

“I honestly cannot say Your Majesty, beyond the fact that I just KNEW he would hear me and come to my aid. It was as if there was some connection between us, some kind of bond. I suppose you would call it,” explained Aragorn. He had difficulty finding the right words, because he was not really clear in his own mind as to his reasons.

“And you are both wondering how this is possible, especially since it is many years since you last met?” They both nodded, curious as to whether Thranduil knew of an explanation, apparently one had occurred to him as he continued speaking.

“I think that perhaps your friendship runs deeper than either of you know. It is not uncommon for Elves to form very strong emotional attachments the like of which you describe. Aragorn is not an Elf, but he is descended from a line that does contain some elvish blood, so perhaps that is why such a bond is possible between you two. It is also likely that since you have been unaware of your connection until now, you were only able to ‘contact’ Legolas because his senses were heightened due to his delirium.”  

“Well, I am glad that he heard me,” Aragorn said.

 “As am I,” agreed Legolas. Thranduil smiled remembering that Mithrandir had hinted of the important role these two friends might have in times to come. It would appear that the wizard right again, and he could not help but wonder how much that Istari actually knew of the future, certainly more than he ever divulged. Sensing that Legolas and Aragorn had much more to discuss in private, he took his leave. 

“Now that we have solved that mystery, I would like to hear of your adventures since you left Mirkwood,” said Legolas making himself comfortable on the wide window ledge that was a favoured place to sit. “How many years has it been?”

 “Too many, my friend.” Aragorn replied. “I suppose I should start with the journey back to Rivendell. You have no idea how annoying that Mithrandir can be, he would not answer my questions and spoke in riddles most of the time... ” The sound of Legolas’ silvery laughter stopped him.

 “What is so funny?” he demanded.

“I forgot to warn you that it is a waste of time trying to get Mithrandir to tell you anything unless he wants you to know it. Even Adar has no success when it comes to getting answers.  But please continue, what happened after you left Rivendell?” 

“I have had an amazing time, Legolas. I have travelled throughout Middle Earth, attending to many errands, seen many wonders and met many different peoples. I even spent some time in the service of Thengel of Rohan and Ecthelion II of Gondor. I finally decided it was time to come home, and on my return journey I desired to visit my friend in Mirkwood, and found myself entangled in the spider’s web!”

“I would suggest that next time you should be more selective of which tree you climb to avoid danger,” warned Legolas. They both laughed at the memory of the tree-climbing lesson so long ago. 

“I think I should like to travel and see such things one day,” said Legolas wistfully, changing moods rapidly. He was suddenly filled with a desire to see all the beauty of the world for himself. Then another thought occurred to him.

 “Since you have not brought him with you, I take it you have not yet found this Gollum creature?” he asked. 

“No, not yet. That is one of the reasons I have returned. I am to meet Mithrandir in Rivendell; hopefully he has some information as to Gollum’s whereabouts. We must find him, for the Shadow extends far beyond Mirkwood and it grows ever longer.”

Legolas nodded but said nothing; he was studying Aragorn’s face, seeing something else there.

“You have not told me everything, melon nin. That is the light of love I see in your eyes?  Someone has captured your heart.” It was a statement of fact. Aragorn was taken aback by the Elf’s perception, but could not hide the smile on his face as his thoughts turned to Arwen.

“I can see there is nothing I can hide from you today. Yes, I am in love.” He did not need to say the words for the look of total rapture on his face spoke volumes.

“Who is this wondrous, if perhaps slightly misguided, creature?” teased the Elf.

“Arwen.” 

“Elrond’s daughter? How is it you know the lovely Evenstar? I thought she was living in Lothlórien?” It was Legolas’s turn to be surprised, and he wondered what the Lord of Rivendell thought of this situation.

“Yes, she has been for some time, and that is where we met, and where we plighted our troth. At least it was on the hill at Cerin Amroth that we made our vow of love to each other,” said Aragorn, pleased to have someone with whom he could speak so freely about matters of the heart

“That is wonderful news, and I am truly very happy for you both, but what does Lord Elrond have to say about this?” asked Legolas. “I do not mean to interfere in your happiness, but even here in Mirkwood we have heard of Elrond’s fierce protectiveness of his daughter.” 

“That is another reason I must return to Rivendell, I think that Elrond should hear the news from me, in person. Knowing my foster father as I do, I fear it will not be a particularly pleasant meeting,” Aragorn replied prophetically.

“But I hope you do not have to leave immediately, for I have missed your company, and it is almost Midsummer Eve.  I am sure you would enjoy celebrating in the fashion of Wood Elves. It will certainly put you in a merry frame of mind before you confront your future father-in-law,” he said with a mischievous gleam in his eye, easily ducking the pillow that Aragorn threw at him in mock annoyance. 

“Yes, I will stay for the celebrations. I know that you have many admirers amongst the maids of this realm, and I am sure it will be amusing to watch them all trying to win your heart,” teased Aragorn. Legolas merely laughed.

“ You may have found your true love, Aragorn, but I have no need to hurry to do likewise I have many years ahead of me yet,” he said innocently. The second pillow Aragorn threw did not miss its target. 

The two friends spent the following days telling tales of their experiences over the years they had been apart and generally just enjoying each other’s company. Legolas found it was becoming easier to sense the thread that was the bond of their friendship and even Aragorn could feel it at times, like a tickling sensation at the back of his mind. 

When Midsummer’s Eve arrived, Aragorn was not disappointed with the Woodland celebration. Thranduil had a well-deserved reputation for the lavishness of his feasts and the wine was superb. He sat with the King as they watched Legolas enjoy himself thoroughly. He was the centre of attention, never without a dance partner, and happy to lend his beautiful voice to the singing. At the end of the evening he was called on to sing a solo, and with a radiant smile directed at Aragorn, he sang the song of Beren and Luthien.

Early the next morning Legolas was dismayed to find Aragorn making preparations for his journey back to Rivendell.

"I hope you are not leaving because of the song I sang last night?" he asked. "I thought it was very appropriate, and meant no offence."

"No, the song was sung beautifully and was much appreciated," Aragorn said sincerely, smiling at his friend. "Unfortunately I can stay no longer, it is time I made my way home. Gandalf should be there by now, and the matter of finding Gollum is still to be addressed."

"Gandalf? Who is he?" Legolas asked, "I thought you were meeting Mithrandir?"

Aragorn laughed at his friend's confusion. "’Gandalf the Grey’ is the name he is called by the many of the other Races of Middle Earth."

"I did not know that. I wonder how many other names he is known by?  It seems that having more than one name is common these days, is it not Estel?" Aragorn smiled at the use of the name Elrond had given him.

"Oh well, no matter. I will be sorry to see you go." Legolas said, noticing with approval that the Healer had provided Aragorn with some of the medicinal herbs he used for spider poison.

"Actually, I was hoping to convince you to come with me this time," said Aragorn, hopefully producing a second travel bag already packed with provisions. "That is of course, if you can be spared from your patrol duties and the attentions of the maids," teased Aragorn.

"I am sure that is possible," Legolas acknowledged haughtily. "But tell me, Aragorn, is it really companionship you require or do you need someone to protect you from the formidable Lord Elrond when you ask for his daughter's hand?"

Aragorn laughed and clapped his friend on the shoulder. "Yes, I would enjoy having your company but it is not the wrath of Elrond that I fear, it is that of my good lady mother who entreated me to bring you to Rivendell next time an opportunity arose. I dare not disobey her."

"Nor should you. I would be honoured to meet the Lady Gilraen. I will seek Adar’s permission immediately," he replied enthusiastically and promptly disappeared. Aragorn wondered if he should tell the Elf how unnerving he found it when he seemingly 'vanished into thin air', but wisely decided against the idea. No need to provide Legolas with another source of amusement.

Thranduil had no objections to the proposed trip, and took advantage of the opportunity to send word of the current orc activity to Elrond. So it was that as soon as they had partaken of the noon meal, the two friends started on their journey to Rivendell. It was several days journey at the speed they travelled and Aragorn spent much of the time elaborating on his adventures over the last few decades. Legolas was fascinated by his friend's stories, but also alarmed that the threat of Sauron's re-emergence was becoming more real, that there was evidence of the Shadow in many of the places Aragorn had been.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List