Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Friend, My Brother  by jenolas


Chapter 3.  Secrets.

The rapid healing power of Elves was a wonder Aragorn had witnessed many times, yet he was still amazed to see that after only two brief hours, Thranduil had awoken and was sufficiently recovered to make the trip back to his Hall.

It was almost midnight and to the relief of all, the clouds disappeared, allowing the soft light of the full moon to cast eerie shadows around them as they made their way through the forest. Legolas was in the lead for he could see easily in the dim light. Thranduil and Mithrandir followed, the Elf King occasionally needing to rest his hand on the shoulder of the Istari for support. Aragorn followed a short distance behind, senses on the alert and ready to defend should there be more orcs about.

They arrived back at the palace without further incident, and the King was settled comfortably in his bed with Legolas hovering over him, still concerned at how pale and drawn he looked. The strain of walking whilst still weak from the poison had drained his energy and it was not long before Thranduil once again fell asleep.

"Your father will be fine, there is nothing to worry about,” Mithrandir said reassuringly. "Aragorn, on the other hand looks as if he is about to collapse. How long is it since you have eaten?" He asked the young man who was sitting on the end of the bed, also looking pale.

"We broke our fast at sunrise, but have not eaten since,” he replied as he felt a sudden pang of the hunger he that had been trying to ignore. So much had happened since they had left this morning on the tree-climbing venture, that he had forgotten about meals.

"Then I think it would be wise if you both go to the kitchens and find yourselves something to eat,” suggested Mithrandir. Noticing that Legolas was reluctant to leave, he told him that he would watch over Thranduil until he awoke. "Oh, and Legolas, please have some refreshments sent for this old wizard.  At least I have sense enough to know when I am hungry."

After he had organised for food and wine to be sent up to his father's chambers, Legolas set a platter of fresh bread, various cheeses and a selection of fruits on the table and poured himself and Aragorn some wine. They ate in silence and Aragorn quickly cleared his plate, only now realising how hungry he had been. Finally sated, he decided that all he needed now was a nice relaxing smoke of his pipe.

"If you wish to spoil the air with that weed of yours," Legolas said with a smile, "I suggest we go outside into the garden, for I prefer the comfort of starlight to smoke."

"How did you know what I was thinking?" Aragorn asked, eyeing his friend warily. As far as he knew, Elves could not read minds.

Legolas laughed. "You always look for your pipe after a meal."

That was true, Aragorn had to admit. He felt a twinge of pleasure that the Elf had noticed his behaviour. Out of deference to his friend's dislike of the pipe, Aragorn chose a spot well away from the tree Legolas was sitting under and they remained in comfortable silence for a while.

"What do you know of Mithrandir? Who is he? From where does he come?" asked Aragorn, finally unable to contain his curiosity any longer.

"Perhaps you should ask him yourself," Legolas suggested enigmatically. "I only know that he has held 'secret' meetings with my father on several occasions and that he claims to be a wizard, but I do not know the extent of his powers. Nor do I know where he is from, he just arrived in Mirkwood one day."

"Thranduil did not object to an outsider in his forest?" Aragorn asked.

“Not as far as I am aware,” replied Legolas.

 "I thought no-one but Elves were permitted in his Realm."

"You are not an Elf, but you are here." Legolas stated simply with a nonchalant shrug of his shoulders.

"Yes, and I am glad, for it may be, my friend, that we would never have met otherwise. It seems that I should not believe everything I hear!" declared Aragorn.

"Nor should I, for my father has often said that the race of Men is weak and untrustworthy, but I do not find you so, mellon nin."


"Elrond says the same thing. I wonder if he and your father realise they actually agree on something,” laughed Aragorn.

"That is an amusing thought indeed," said Legolas and they both laughed. "It is not long until sunrise, I suggest we both take some rest." Aragorn's yawn showed that he was in total agreement and they retired to their rooms.

*******

While he watched over the sleeping King, Mithrandir sat contemplating the strange hand fate had dealt the two young ones who just left. Aragorn was the last of the kings of men, though he had chosen exile rather than the throne, whereas Legolas was the son of an Elven king, and not likely to inherit the throne unless something untoward happened to Thranduil

 A steward bearing a tray of food interrupted his musings and he spent a pleasant few minutes enjoying his repast. After a final check on his patient, he made himself comfortable in the large armchair by the fire, and was soon fell into a light sleep, knowing he would hear if Thranduil roused.

It was not the King who awakened him, however, but the light of the first rays of the morning sun as it shone through the open window. Legolas arrived shortly after with a breakfast tray, and they were both surprised when Thranduil sat slowly up in bed and asked for a glass of wine, rather than the water he was offered. Mithrandir merely raised an eyebrow and nodded permission.

"How are you this morning, Adar?" Legolas asked as he handed the goblet to his father. The King took a few small sips before he replied.

"Well enough to know that the wine is not chilled enough!" he declared in mock anger.

Aragorn entered the room in time to hear the King's words and everyone laughed with relief to see that Thranduil was now obviously fully recovered.

 "I believe I remember something about you and Legolas rescuing me from those Orcs," he said to Aragorn. "I would like to hear what happened."

"We were just about to head back to your Hall to seek shelter from the approaching storm, when Legolas saw you in the distance. He was curious as to why you were in the forest in such inclement weather and without your guards." Legolas shot Aragorn a look that suggested that his last statement was not very helpful.

"I thought it unusual for you to be hunting alone, so I decided to follow you." Legolas explained, noting that Thranduil was not looking particularly pleased at this moment.

"You decided to FOLLOW me?" he asked, a storm brewing in his eyes.

"We BOTH decided," interrupted Aragorn, trying to redeem himself in his friend's eyes.

"And well they did, wouldn't you agree Thranduil?" asked Mithrandir calmly in an attempt to prevent any further outrage. "If not for your son's skill with the bow, the Orcs would have taken you to Dol Guldur. Aragorn's herbal tea helped prevent the poison from taking a stronger hold."

"In the circumstances it was fortunate," Thranduil grudgingly agreed. "However, do not think to make a habit of such behaviour, either of you!” he warned, glaring at his son and his friend. “I think that Legolas and Aragorn should leave us now, for I wish to speak in private with Mithrandir."

"No, let them stay. I have reason to believe that this concerns them as well,” said Mithrandir quietly. Although he could not see the future, the Istari was certain that the two heirs of their Kingdoms were fated to take a great part in the destiny of Middle Earth. He firmly believed there was a reason that Man and Elf had become friends once more.

"What news did you have for me that you deemed it necessary to meet in secret?" Thranduil asked, coming directly to the point as Legolas and Aragorn exchanged a look of triumph. They had been very curious about the secret meeting.

"The news from the last Council meeting does not bode well. There is much evidence that the Necromancer is not just a minion of Sauron, but the Dark Lord himself. If this is the case, then it must be considered that the One Ring has been found,” replied Mithrandir with equal forthrightness.

Thranduil was startled by this news. He knew well of the spread of Darkness and Shadow throughout his own realm, something his own elvish powers could hold at bay, but not destroy. The One Ring was a different matter altogether, for if it was returned to its Lord, the battle of the Last Alliance would have all been in vain.

"I assume that the Dark Lord does not have it yet?" he asked.

"No, but I believe it has passed to the creature Gollum. I have not yet been able to find him, but neither has the Dark Lord." Mithrandir said. "However, once he is found, I will need a safe place for him to stay, somewhere out of Sauron's reach. I had hoped that you would provide such a place." Thranduil’s features darkened and it was apparent that the King was not happy to comply with this request. No one was more surprised than he when Legolas spoke.

"Adar, we must do this, if the creature can be found. Any news of the One Ring must be kept from the Shadow." Thranduil had told his son many tales of the battle against Sauron, and of his fears that he had not been totally defeated.

"Legolas is right, Your Majesty," dared Aragorn. "This evil cannot be allowed to flourish. I will search throughout the land and should I find him, I will bring this ‘Gollum’ here for safekeeping."

"So be it." Thranduil grudgingly agreed. He turned to face his son. "Should Gollum be found, he will be your responsibility."

"Excellent. I thank you for that Thranduil." Mithrandir said, pleased that all was going to plan. "Aragorn and I should make haste to Rivendell, to inform Elrond of our intentions. The sooner the search for the creature begins, the better."

It was with sadness that Aragorn said farewell to the Elves of Mirkwood, for he had enjoyed his time there, and he knew that he would miss the company of his friend. Legolas accompanied Aragorn and Mithrandir to the edge of the forest and bid a fond farewell to the Istari.

"Take care, young Legolas," Mithrandir said lightly.

"I shall. Farewell, Mithrandir, until next our paths cross,” said Legolas with a respectful bow to the Istari. The Elf then turned to Aragorn, who was waiting to take his leave.

"Farwell, my friend. I know not when we will meet again, but rest assured we will!" he said as Aragorn drew him into a brotherly hug.

"Yes, it may be some time until I return, but you need not remind me that for an Elf the time will pass in the blink of an eye,” he called as he hurried to catch up with Mithrandir.

The two unlikely companions journeyed until well after dark, both eager to reach the safety of Rivendell as soon as possible, but finally weariness, and hunger overcame them and they found a sheltered place amongst a large rocky outcrop in which to make camp. Aragorn proved to be quite adept at preparing a quick meal, and once their hunger was sated, the Man and the Istari simply sat and stared into the fire, each lost in their own thoughts as the smoke from their pipes drifted away on the light breeze that was causing the flames of their campfire to flicker.

There was no sound to be heard except the nocturnal music of crickets and the occasional 'crack' as one of the larger twigs burned through and fell amongst the embers. Aragorn was still filled with curiosity about the Istari who was his travelling companion. He knew only the one detail that Legolas had been able to tell him, namely that Mithrandir was a wizard. Several times during the day he had tried to glean information from the old man, but answers to his questions had been vague, to say the least. He decided to try once again.

"What part of Middle Earth did you say you are from?" he asked. Mithrandir looked with amusement at the young man.

"I did not say. I like to think I belong everywhere and nowhere,” he replied.

"Surely you have some place you call home?" persisted Aragorn.

"I'm sure I once did, but it was so long ago I seem to have forgotten it." Not a very enlightening response but Aragorn decided to let it pass and tried another question.

"Do you remember how old you are?" he asked with just a hint of sarcasm. A simple question, surely with a simple answer!

"Hmmm. I don't believe I know exactly. Perhaps as old as Elrond or Thranduil, or maybe even far older, I know not," he replied as he slowly inhaled the smoke from his pipe.

"So you are not an Elf, then?" Aragorn asked, relieved to have at least one piece of information.

"Goodness me, no!" laughed Mithrandir. "Whatever gave you that idea?"

"You answer questions with riddles or give no answer at all, just like all the Elves I know." Aragorn replied becoming annoyed as he realised that it was unlikely his companion would be any more forthcoming. Accepting defeat for the moment, he decided it was time they rested for the night.

"Why don't you get some sleep?" He suggested to Mithrandir. "It is still several days journey to Rivendell."

"I am rather weary," the old man confessed as he settled himself by the fire. "Wake me when it is my turn at the watch." Although they were no longer near Mirkwood, danger of attack by orcs was still possible, particularly as they neared the pass through the Misty Mountains.

"As you wish," said Aragorn. There was no answer and he was amazed to find that the old man was already snoring loudly. Although his senses were alert for danger, a small part of his mind pondered his blossoming friendship with Legolas.

Aragorn considered the sons of Elrond to be his foster brothers and they had slowly developed a close relationship over the years. It had taken but a few weeks for a bond of sorts to form between himself and Legolas. The young elf was such an easy-going, fun loving creature and perhaps that was part of the reason they had made friends so quickly. He did not even mind the gentle teasing or the air of elven superiority that his friend would exhibit at times.

When he was with Legolas, he was free to be who he wanted to be, a Ranger and nothing more. The fact that he was the heir of Isildur and was supposed to be King one day was of no importance to the young Elf, who was heir to a kingdom himself. It had been a refreshing change to find that Legolas treated him no differently to anyone else. Elladan and Elrohir seemed far too over-protective in comparison.

He looked back in the direction of Mirkwood and hoped that his friend had made it safely home.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List