Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Weeps - Book Two - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 47 - There Is Comfort Here

Elladan’s eyes fluttered open. He put his hand to his head. A soft moan escaped him. Elrohir looked down at him. “Forgive me, brother. I was going to return. Unfortunately, our little brother found a friend.”

Elrohir smiled warmly. “Faramir?”

“Aye. Help me stand.”

He wobbled a little, once his feet were under him, but immediately he strode forward. Elrohir stopped him. “Wait, brother. What happened in the cave?”

“I have no knowledge as to what is happening now, but inside we found Faramir and Éomund of the Mark. Éomund is wounded, but I deem it not serious. Faramir is under some spell. I know not what. Estel has been ministering to him for several hours now. The boy does not respond.”

Erkenbrand cursed roundly. “Are these traitors here who waylaid you? I’ll kill them myself if they are!”

One of the wounded men drew in a sharp breath as he heard the Rohir’s words.

“I know not if they are friend or foe, but Estel is in the cave and we must go to him.”

“We should first decide foe or friend. Otherwise, we must enter with swords drawn. I don’t wish to kill a man without cause,” the Rohirric captain said.

“How do we tell?”

“Ask them!” Erkenbrand said simply. He stooped over, picked up one of the bound guards with one hand, and thrust his face directly into the man’s. “Are you for Denethor or for that other scoundrel?”

Elrohir laughed aloud. “Well put. Now, if he has half a brain, he will know which way he should speak, if only to save his life!”

“If he lies to me,” the warrior growled, “he’ll pay with more than his life. I’ll make him miserable, tear out his tongue and his eyes. I’ll…”

”Stop,” Elrohir laughed again. “Good knight of Gondor, do you swear fealty to Denethor’s son?”

“I do, sir,” the man gulped, “and all with me do the same. We were sent here, by order of Prince Imrahil, to rescue the Lady Indis, sister to Lord Denethor. We found her and rescued her from Orcs. My captain has gone to the cave with her. She was injured and needs to rest before we return to Minas Tirith. That is why, though you fought wildly, we did not kill you. She said there were others traveling with her. That is all I know. I swear it!”

Elrohir turned quickly, sword drawn as he heard someone approaching.

“Stop. I am friend,” a voice said from the darkness. “Friend to Thorongil.”

Elrohir still held his sword ready, but he stayed his hand.

From the darkness, a man stepped forth. “My name is Dervorin. I am a warrior of Gondor, once an aide for Captain Thorongil himself. He is in the cave and being tended to. My captain, Durahil of Amon Dîn, asks that you join us. He has an apology to make to your companion.”

~*~

When she came to, she found herself in her own rooms at the inn. Aerin hovered over her. “It is good to be back from the dead,” she whispered. Her shoulder throbbed, but the lightheadedness that had assailed her was gone. She gave a heavy sigh, then burst into tears.

Aerin sat next to her. “What is the matter? Are you still in pain? I will order more tea.”

“Nay. And Aye. I am in pain, but it is not from the wound.” She sobbed. “I am afraid I have become weak. I have fallen in love with Borondir. His very touch thrills me.”

“Why is that weakness, Ragnhild? Love is beautiful.”

“Love is not when you have duties! I have made oaths.” She shook her head miserably. “I cannot love him; I must leave him and return to Minas Tirith.”

“Mayhap he will come with us?”

She laughed mirthlessly. “Nay. He is needed here. What has happened with Minastir?”

“The captain wants to tell you himself. He is waiting in the hall. Has been all night.”

“It is morning?” She tried to rise but Aerin held her down.

“It is morning. Borondir and Arantar have been busy all night, and now he waits to give report to his commander.” Ragnhild looked at her quizzically. “You, you silly goose!”

She lay back down, closing her eyes to gain control over herself. Suddenly, they opened wide. “How do I look?”

Aerin laughed. “Here.” She gently combed Ragnhild’s hair. “Straighten your bodice. There,” she stood back. “You look perfect.”

Ragnhild smiled. “Thank you and would you leave us, once he enters?”

“Of course,” and this time, Aerin’s laughter could be heard in the hall. She opened the door. “Borondir. You may enter. Please,” she touched his arm, “do not overtax her. She needs her rest.”

He bowed to her and stepped into the room. Aerin closed the door behind her.

“You will return to Minas Tirith, my love,” the man said quietly. “And I, if you will have me, I will go with you.”

~*~

“Elrohir!” Aragorn called as soon as his brother entered the cave. “And Erkenbrand. Well met!”

The men all stopped and stared. The twins smiled warmly, nodded to those in the cave, and walked quickly to sit at Aragorn’s side.

Erkenbrand walked with them until he saw Éomund. “My Lord!” he cried in distress.

“I am recovering under Siriondil’s care,” Éomund said quietly. “Do not be concerned. Sit with me, Captain, and tell me how you aligned yourself with such as these.”

Aragorn turned from the Rohirrim and greeted his brothers warmly. “Now, I am most happy to have you meet the Lady Indis, woman of Gondor, daughter to Ecthelion, and sister to Denethor.”

The Elves stood and bowed. “Much is told of your wisdom, Lady Indis,” Elrohir said quietly.

She blushed. “Thorongil has never been known to keep quiet,” she said with a sparkle in her eye. “I did not support him often, when he would go against my brother. But I loved him nonetheless, as did Denethor before Ecthelion tried to turn one against the other.”

“Did Denethor die thinking I would usurp him, Indis?”

“Nay. I told him that it was Ecthelion who wanted to make you Captain-general. That you declined it. He was content.”

“And Faramir is now Steward?”

“He is. I am Regent until he comes of age. Unless…”

He lowered his head. “I cannot,” he whispered. “You, dearest Indis, of all people in Gondor, know why I cannot. Do not ask it.”

She bit her lip. ‘Of course, kin-strife and worse, I suppose.’ Her eyes brimmed with tears. “It is most gracious of you. Denethor believed you were-"

“Hush,” he whispered. “Whether I am or no, this is not the time. The wound to the heart of Gondor must heal. You will do your duty well, hold the Rod for Faramir, and in due time, who knows?”

“It seems I have done poorly with this duty. I almost lost Faramir and all who traveled with me.”

“Gorlim was a good man, from what I know of him. Baranor will be sorely missed. I served under him at Osgiliath and he under me in Minas Tirith.”

“They were all good men. But tell me this, Thorongil, what have you done to take away the fever that has burned in Faramir these last two months?”

“I have some teas and medicaments that Lord Elrond gave me. They seem to have some effect on the boy.” He watched her yawn. “I think you should have some tea yourself.”

Elladan saw the quick look, filled a cup, and brought it to her. “Here, Lady Indis. Drink this. It will hearten you.”

She looked up in surprise. “Thank you, Lord…” She drank the tea.

“I am Elladan. There is no need for calling me lord and this is my brother Elrohir.”

“I am most grateful for your coming to Gondor’s aid.” She yawned even wider. The Master Healer sat next to her and took her in his arms. “Thank you, Siriondil. I am feeling most weary.” Her eyes closed before she finished the breath.

The twins sat down next to Aragorn. “It is time for rest for us as well.” Elrohir stretched then laid down. Elladan followed his example, a small look of puzzlement on his face. ‘If Elrohir wants us to rest, then rest we will, but I do not understand this.’

Aragorn leaned back against the wall, pulling Faramir closer to him. He began to hum, then quietly sang Finduilas’ lullaby. After a few moments, Indis eyes' opened and her voice joined his in harmony.

“When the night falls and clouds cover the moon,

When the owl calls and your heart hears its tune.

Know I love you

I am right here by your side.

Know I love you

In my heart you will abide.

When the gull calls and the morning breaks anew

You will find me, ever constant ever true.

Nana loves you-"

Another voice joined theirs and Indis choked in surprise and joy. Tears fell.

Faramir’s sweet voice sang softly.

“She is right here by your side

Always loves you

In her heart you will abide.

Precious baby. Precious love. Go to sleep.”

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List