Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Weeps - Book Two - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Epilogue

Boromir, my friend,

We met the healer from the North; some say he is the mighty Thorongil returned. I care not what his name is; he was able to heal our Faramir, that is all that concerns me. Your brother is well on the road to recovery and for that I am most grateful. I have tried to fulfill my oath to you, my friend, my brother, by taking as much care as I could of Faramir. I now consider my oath fulfilled, as much as I am able. I have another oath, Boromir, that is even stronger than the oath I made to you - and that is to my people, to my land, and to my father. 

We are finished with this part of our journey. Éomund, Erkenbrand and I are on our way to Edoras. I had hoped to have the company come to my home, to relax and heal without the pressures that are so rife in Minas Tirith. My father would greet all with joy and kindness. Ever was your father friend to those of the Mark; father would have responded in kind. Unfortunately, we have received no notice of the traitor in Meduseld; therefore, Indis deems it wiser to return to Minas Tirith. She will go in force this time; Captain Durahil refuses to let her return without a full escort. I deem that wise. It will be interesting to explain the sudden appearance of Faramir, but the people's joy at his recovery should lessen any questions posed.

I must go to Edoras, Boromir, as heir, and do my duty to my people. I will not, however, forget Faramir, nor be inconstant in my attention to his welfare. However, Indis is with him - and he has his Uncle Imrahil, who is most devoted to him. I am putting aside my own regret at not being able to be next to Faramir for the rest of his life, but understand that, even if you still lived, you would not be able to do that either. Duty calls us to different paths.

The healer from the north has gone - along with his strange companions. Never have I met an Elf. I found the experience - unforgettable. Somehow, I wish our paths crossed more often, for I find them - exciting to be around. I found the man very interesting. He spoke our language, and the language of Gondor, and he spoke with the Elves in their language. I would learn the language of the Elves, if I could. I liked Aragorn very much. You would have too.

My heart is full of sadness, Boromir, for the end of our journey brings to mind the beginning, so long ago when your father was murdered. We shared so much and had such fun in the snow. I will always hold your confidence in me and your love for me close to my heart.  To have had it end the way it did will grieve me all my days. I will never forget you nor your friendship. Not many have the blessing of such a friend.

You will always be with me, my friend, my brother,
Théodred
Son of Théoden King

For a moment, the lad lowered his head and tears fell. After a time, he stood and walked to the camp’s fire. Folding the letter carefully in half, he placed it at the edge of the fire and watched as the flames slowly crept towards it. In an instant, the letter was gone.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List