Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Weeps - Book Two - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 18 - Rohirric Remedy

“The snows are deep across this plain. If we turn in a more westerly direction, perhaps the drifts will lessen?” Elladan knew what Aragorn would say before the words had even left his mouth, but he deemed it wise to at least broach the subject of a detour.

“Perhaps if you sent your horses back to Imladris and left me and mine to trudge through these drifts… It is at times like this when my ancestry as a man galls me. To be able to walk upon the drifts instead of through them would hasten our journey!”

Elrohir smiled. “You, Estel, are at least able to ride a horse as well as any Elf I know. We will not sway from our course, Elladan,” he said to his brother. “The drifts should lighten once we round that bend on our left. The land, if I remember correctly, is filled with tall grasslands, but the unseasonable cold will have crushed them. It should be flat riding, with only a pause for a drift now and again. Your estimate appears to be correct, Estel. We should reach Edoras in three days time. I know you do not like the delay, but we must protect our mounts.”

Aragorn squinted into the setting sun, willing the leagues to pass by while time stood still.

They had not brought wood with them and could find only small twigs and branches from frozen bushes on the plains of Rohan, but it fazed neither Elf. However, Elrohir was beginning to be concerned for Aragorn. They had ridden a full day’s ride with nary a stop. True, the gait had been slow so as not to tire the horses, but Aragorn would need rest and warmth soon.

“Are their caves or some such cover anywhere in this direction?” the younger Elf asked.

“None that I know of, though I have not been in the Mark for at least twenty years. After I left Gondor, I turned south, then eastward. I came back to Rivendell through Nanduhirion. There are plenty of caves there, some even built by the Dwarves.” Aragorn gave a low chuckle. “We cannot, of course, turn in that direction.” He pulled up and looked towards his left, then southward. “I believe we have passed into the West Emnet. That is a good sign.”

“The sun sets. It is time to rest our horses. Estel,” Elrohir stopped in confusion and dismounted. “I am concerned, brother. It is bitter cold and you have only the clothes on your back to warm you. I think it time we asked our mounts to share their warmth.”

Aragorn swung himself off his own horse; his need was to press onward, it was just sunset, but he knew their mounts needed rest. Finally, bending low, he picked up his animal’s hooves and checked for snowballs. There were none. Then, he removed the saddle. Once they finished their meal, Aragorn went to his horse, pulled on its reins, and whispered to it. At once, the horse lay down. Aragorn lay as close to his steed as possible. Elrohir and Elladan did the same, though more for their horses’ comfort than their own. Twice they awoke in the night to let the horses stand and stretch.

Morning was nigh when they finally stirred. Holding the bit in his hands, Aragorn tried to infuse it with some warmth, rubbing it furiously before fitting it in his mount’s mouth; then he saddled it. As he rubbed the horse’s withers, he spoke words of encouragement. The mare turned its head and nuzzled him. He smiled. He had never understood the love of these great animals for a mere man, but he was grateful.

They each swallowed a drop or two of miruvor, ate some dried meat, and quickly mounted. Only two more days, Aragorn chanted silently, only two more days to Edoras. There, he hoped to find some further news. Some hope-filled news.

The Westemnet lay cold and barren before them. The winter indeed was harsh. Once in awhile, they were able to snare rabbits, which they ate near raw. Fire was hard to come by in this wilderness; quickly made, it was quickly consumed.

Singing was out of the question; their breath froze as soon as they opened their mouths, but Aragorn had to laugh as the low hum of Elven tunes emanated from Elladan. His brother could not stop the song in his heart from flowing forth. It was the song of Ëarendil. Remembrance of the words made him shiver, for were they not of ice and cold? Now he remembered them - From gnashing of the Narrow Ice where shadow lies on frozen hills.*  Was it as cold there for the Elves on the Narrow Ice as it was here on these unprotected plains?

The day passed and long into the night they road. He could smell Edoras. Though both Elladan and Elrohir told him it was his imagination, he could smell Edoras. The smell of horse was strong there; never had he seen so many horses in one garrison.

“Look!” Elrohir cried. “There is smoke to the west of us. I see buildings. What suppose you this means?”

“Breeding paddocks!” Aragorn shouted in delight. “I knew I smelt horse. It is a breeding paddock for the men of the Mark. I had forgotten.” He spurred his horse into a gallop; Elladan and Elrohir followed.

~*~

“How could you let her leave with such a small contingent?” Éomund strode across the Great Hall, the spear in his hand flashing every few seconds as the sun, peering through the windows, caught it. His anger sparked near as brightly.

Imrahil waited for him to approach the Chair, waited for the anger to subside, waited for the Captain of Rohan to recover his comportment. He noted wryly that the Guard allowed the man to bring his spear into the Great Hall.

“I did not let her do anything, my Lord Captain. You know the Lady; she does not let anyone tell her what to do. You know yourself that even the Lord Denethor could not order her about. Do you think that I, a lowly Prince of Dol Amroth, could sway the Lady once she had made up her mind.”

Éomund stopped. His lips pursed in a fine line and he took a few deep breaths. “I would expect you to do something.”

“Come with me to my study. They are only gone a few days. You will be able to catch up with them. Indis had planned on using the Great West Road once they were past Eilenach.”

The two men, one blonde and one raven-haired, left the Hall. The servants scrambled to prepare the study. Wine was put into carafes, the fire was stoked, and candles were lit. The guard opened the door; then stood back.

“I am shamed by my outburst, Prince Imrahil,” Éomund said as soon as they entered the room. “If I had been here, the outcome would have been the same. Indis is a strong-willed woman; none can stop her once she has made up her mind.”

“She only wanted to take a few with her; I threatened to bar the gates if she would not accept Gorlim, Gildor and Baranor. With grace, she accepted.”

Éomund burst into laughter. “With grace? I doubt that highly.”

Imrahil laughed himself. “If you would take a few more of Gondor’s finest with you when you follow her, I would be most grateful. Once you are on the road, she cannot turn them back.” He sat and poured a glass for himself and the Rohir.

Taking the glass from the Prince, Éomund said, “What precipitated the sudden departure? I thought I had at least a week’s time before she was going to leave.”

“A servant died. A likwain was being sent with the body to the Pelennor. She deemed it a perfect ruse to hide the transport of Faramir from the City. Our custom is to bury the dead as soon as possible. It seemed a perfect time to leave. She left this note for you.” He opened the desk drawer and pulled out a folded, sealed piece of parchment and handed it to Éomund.

The Rohir sat back, took a sip of wine, and opened the note.

‘My dearest Éomund, friend of my heart and friend of my brother, brother-in-arms during the last dreadful battle,

‘I implore your forgiveness at our sudden departure. Know that in my heart, I wanted you with me, for your protection, your wisdom, but most particularly, your friendship. I did not do this on purpose, please believe me. But matters were taken out of my hands; I had to depart when I did.

‘My hope is that you will follow. I do not think I have the courage nor the strength to do this alone. But I cannot ask this of you. The way is dangerous; perhaps more dangerous than our previous journey together. If you do not follow, I will understand. For what it is worth, I hope to see you again soon. You have been more than kind to me during Gondor’s time of woe, during my time of sorrow. If you decide to return to Rohan, please give Théoden King my regards,

‘Your friend, Indis, Lady of Gondor’

He held the note before him, tears glistening in his eyes. “She is a doughty lady whom I have grown to have great respect for.” He smiled a small smile and looked up at Imrahil. “Do not tell her I ranted a little at her stubbourness?”

Imrahil smiled. “I will not, Captain. When will you leave?”

“As soon as I can pack and be off. Do you have any suggestions as to whom I should take with me?”

“Unfortunately, there are none here who I can offer to you, but the Captain of Amon Dîn has courage and his loyalty to Lord Denethor was complete. Go to Amon Dîn first, take these orders with you to a Captain Durahil, and he will follow you, along with whomever he chooses. I think that is the wisest course.”

“Are you safe here, my Lord?” Éomund asked quietly. “I do not wish to leave you in jeopardy.”

“I have many captains of Gondor about me whom I trust. And the traitors are even now being made known to me. I have already arrested two. More, unfortunately, will follow. But do not concern yourself about Gondor. Go to my aunt and protect her and Faramir. See if you can find this healer from the north. Then bring them back to me safely, so that I may return to Belfalas and my father.”

~*~*~*~

I usually save author's notes to the end - but the bit with the horses caused quite a stir at a group I belong to - After much discussion by those who know horses better than I, it was discerned that a horse will lie down on the ground for about three hours at a time. Their handler must be strong-willed though to help them with this feat. (Now - who could be stronger-willed than our three intrepid Elves/man?) They do sleep. Horses that is. Also, I have them taking a break and letting the horses stand for short stretches during the night. Hope that eases everyone's minds.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List