Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Weeps - Book Two - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 17 - Ripples

“Would you please repeat what you told me in the Great Hall?”

“My father was approached by Lord Amandil two summers ago, Lady Ragnhild, during the feast of Loëndë. I was not privy to that conversation as I had been esquired out to Prince Adrahil the summer before. My sister, Gilmith…” He smiled shyly at Ragnhild, “is an eaves dropper. They met in Calembel in my father’s home. A Lord Dagnir, from Tarnost, was there also. They spoke long into the night of Lord Denethor. At times, Gilmith fell asleep and missed some of what was said, but she wrote to me immediately afterwards. They spoke of replacing Lord Denethor,” the boy’s face coloured, “with someone else, someone who upheld their own views of what was good for Gondor.”

Tears began to flow as the boy realized the consequences of his words. “There was no talk of murder, at that time, but later, last summer, Lord Amandil came again, along with Lord Dagnir, and spoke of how they would wrest the Rod from the Steward.” His chin shook.

“I am at fault myself, my Lord. My Lady, I should have brought this knowledge to Lord Denethor immediately. I could not decide what to do. I had hoped that my father would see the wrong of what they planned, would tell Lord Amandil that he wanted no part of the treachery, but father never did. I waited and waited for a missive from Gilmith saying that father had changed his mind, but the missive never came.” The boy gulped loudly. “I am turning myself over to your judgment, my Prince. I should have done something and now it is too late.”

Ragnhild silently wept. But for the word of a boy, Denethor and Boromir would yet live.

“Were there any others involved, that you know of?” Prince Imrahil asked quietly, trying to settle his stomach at the wretched news.

“Nay, my Lord. There were only two meetings that I know of and only three lords were involved. There may have been more in Minas Tirith itself, but father never took Gilmith with him when he visited the City.”

“It took great courage to come to me with this information. Late does it come, but better late than never. Your father and Lord Dagnir cannot be allowed to continue. They will breed dissension and treachery; they are entrapped by it.”

He stood up and walked towards the guard. Nodding, the man left. Imrahil turned around. “Lord Aglahad has reported your progress to Prince Adrahil. He has been most impressed." He paused and looked long at the lad. "I must hold your father here in Minas Tirith until the Lady Indis returns. You may return to your duties in Edhellond.”

The boy looked haggard. “I cannot leave my father here alone. I have no elder brother and our land lies without a leader. Yet, I cannot return.”

“Prince Adrahil will govern your land in your father’s stead. I have sent an errand-rider to Dol Amroth. Someone loyal to Gondor will…”

“My father is loyal!” the boy cried. “He is loyal to Gondor. He was misled. He believed the action they took was for Gondor.”

Ragnhild stood. “I have seen great wisdom in your words, Angbor. But now, you speak folly. Your father cannot use Gondor’s weal as an excuse for what he has done. There is a council in Gondor. Your father was part of it. He had every opportunity to bring his concerns to the council.”

“But Lord Denethor will not listen to anyone!” the lad shouted. “That is what I have heard.”

“Hush, boy!” Imrahil spoke sharply. “The Steward was my great friend and mentor. You know not what you speak. Keep your tongue until you have seen and heard with your own eyes and ears!” Bitterly, he walked away from the boy, anger still smoldering in his heart.

Angbor stood tall. “Mayhap I spoke hastily. I do not… I did not know Lord Denethor. I only know what I have heard.” He took a shaking breath. “Things I have heard from your own father!”

Imrahil stopped his pacing. He looked towards Ragnhild and saw that she remembered their discussions about the feud between Denethor and Adrahil. He took a breath and turned towards the boy.

“Your training has not yet taught you wisdom, though you have certainly learned courage. One must take the words one hears and sift them, strain them until the dross is purged and steel has appeared.”

He sat down on the chair next to Angbor. “Your loyalty to your father is misplaced, I am sorry to say. You are of an age to be able to discern for yourself what is right and what is wrong. Is it right to forcibly take something from a man who has been rightfully titled? Is it right to murder someone because they do not share your views? Is it right to destroy a kingdom for your own personal gains? That is what Lord Amandil did and he dragged your father with him. There is no excuse for what Lord Amandil has done. And there is no excuse for your father. He committed treachery, treason and murder.”

He laid his hand upon the boy’s arm and felt the slight tremble. “When we start something, it is like throwing a pebble into water. The pebble’s first splash is noisy, but short-lived. In this instance, the pebble’s wake, the waves that flowed from its splash, continues on.

“Lord Denethor was murdered. But the treachery did not stop there. The young Lord Boromir was murdered also, along with men from Rohan and Gondor. Stout, doughty men that Gondor can ill afford to lose. And now, Gondor is weakened by your father’s actions. We have no Steward. Lord Faramir, if you do not know, is held in some stupor, some daydream from which he cannot awaken. Because of your father, Belfalas, which I know you love, is also weakened, for I am here and unable to do my duty to my father and my land. Lamedon is also weakened.

‘The Dark Lord is sitting in his stronghold and laughing at us. Aye, Angbor, laughing at us. And plotting ways to use this treachery to attack and destroy all that we love.”

Angbor silently began to weep.

Imrahil continued his reproof. “I do not expect you to agree with me. Will that turn your heart to murder?”

Angbor’s eyes opened wide. His mouth formed an ‘o’ and he sobbed, “I would not murder you, my Prince!”

“I trust you, Angbor. It is not my duty to pass judgment on your father. At least, not at this time. He will stay here in Minas Tirith until the Lady Indis returns. She is Regent now, until Lord Faramir recovers. I am just her humble servant.”

He stood and raised Angbor with him. “Will you also serve, Angbor?”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List