Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Many Aspects of Merimac Brandybuck  by Lily Dragonquill

Title: Nursing
Rating: G
Summary: Adamanta is away to care for a sick cousin, leaving Merimac alone with both children, when Bluebell unexpectedly becomes ill as well.
Year: 1409


Special thanks to Slightly Tookish.



~*~*~



Merimac inhaled deeply the fresh scent of the laundry which lay on his bed. He took one of his shirts and flung it over his still damp shoulders before putting the others into the wardrobe. He was beginning to feel like a house husband.

Adamanta had gone to care for her cousin Violet in Budgeford who had taken ill ten days ago. Her husband, being busy with the harvest, had asked for Mantha’s help. Since then Merimac had been on his own and when he wasn’t working in the stables, he was looking after Bluebell.

To make matters worse, his daughter had caught a cold as well and Merimac missed his wife more than ever. He could only wonder how Mantha managed the constant whinging, the always-runny nose, and the tears because ‘mummy could do everything so much better’. Well, at least Bluebell preferred him to Petty Smallburrows, the nurse; although he wasn’t so sure whether this was a good thing.

At least his little girl was asleep now and he could look forward to a quiet evening in the family parlour with his son, his brother, and his friends.

Merimac plopped onto an armchair and closed his eyes – just for a second. The fire crackled. His face glowed in its warmth. The smell of apple wood lingered in the air and mingled with that of bee wax soap. Wet ringlets fell into his face and his head grew heavy. If only Mantha could be here as well. If only…

And suddenly her smell filled his nostrils. Hair, bathed in rose water, tickled his cheeks and flowed over his neck and shoulders. He could feel her calming presence, her gentle touch on his arm. Merimac reached for her hand. Her skin was soft as velvet and as he brought her fingers to his lips the sweet smell of honey and almond bemused his senses.

“Da?”

The hands that tugged at his sleeve were surprisingly small and the voice that disturbed the quiet was hoarse and weak.

Merimac forced his heavy lids to open and gazed blearily at his daughter. Her dark hair, which hung down to the small of her back, was tousled and limp. Her eyes were teary, her cheeks flushed, and her nose was red and sore – and running again.

“What is it, dear?” Merimac lifted his little darling into his arms and hastened to get a handkerchief from a chest of drawers before Bluebell snuffled. He was too slow but wiped her nose nonetheless as he plopped back into the chair.

“I hurt,” Bluebell whined and buried her face in his chest.

“I know, sweet,” Merimac replied gently, cradled her close, and kissed her brow. It was still warm but cooler than before. Her shoulders shook when he combed his fingers through her knotted ringlets. “Don’t cry.”

Bluebell flung his arms around his neck, her breath hitching. Merimac felt forlorn. Adamanta was the one who could deal with weeping children. He would manage tears of anger or defiance but not these pitiful sobs his sweet little darling was uttering now. They tore at his heart and if he had been able to he would have taken her sickness and pain onto himself. As it were, he could only hold her close, cradle her, and murmur lullabies.

Eventually, her sobs subsided. At first Merimac thought she had fallen asleep again – he, for one, felt totally exhausted – but then he realised she was quietly humming along with him and playing with one of his buttons.

“Better now?”

Bluebell nodded. “When will mum return?”

“Soon,” Merimac answered and dearly hoped it was true.

Bluebell accepted that and yawned widely. Merimac looked down at her sleepy face, her glassy blue-grey eyes, and the runny nose. Merimac wiped it dry again and kissed her once more. She was a beautiful little girl and Merimac’s heart swelled with love for his daughter.

“Can I sleep here tonight?” she asked hoarsely and how could he have denied her request?

“Of course,” he said and the thickness in his voice told him that he was struggling against sleep as much as she did. He could not remember ever feeling so tired and that from simply caring for a sick child. How Adamanta did it was beyond him. Thank goodness Berilac could look after himself most of the time. Just the thought of having to nourish both children made him even more exhausted.

Nevertheless, he had to admit he enjoyed to have the girl here. His little Bluebell was normally quite a powerhouse. To have her so still and all to himself was a rare gift; the only reason why he hadn’t yet written to Adamanta and begged her to come home; apart from his wish not to worry her needlessly. So far he had coped quite well, after all.

The sounds around him muted until only his sweet girl’s laboured breathing was audible. He could still smell the apple wood and the sweet-stingy scent of sweat that lingered on Bluebell’s hair.

The girl snuggled against him and her lids fluttered when Merimac caressed her cheek. Her face glowed in the firelight and as Merimac watched her and marvelled at the trust she presented him with, he felt his mind drift again.


~*~*~


When Berilac came to look for his father he found him fast asleep. Bluebell was curled up on his lap, furry toes hidden beneath her nightgown. Berilac smiled. He hadn’t thought the girl would exhaust their father that much – not after all the ‘of course, I can manage’ and the ‘I’ve handled far worse than that’.

Well, he should have known better. Bluebell could be quite a handful, especially when she was in an ill mood – or sick.

Berilac picked up a blanket from the bed and tucked them in. He brushed a gentle kiss onto Bluebell’s brow and smirked at his father. There were some things about his daughter Merimac had yet to learn, but, as it seemed, he was doing fairly well already. Mother would be proud of him if she could see him now. He was a wonderful father. Berilac smiled at him and his expression was full of love when he walked out of the room backwards, leaving the two sleepers alone.


~THE END~





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List