Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

The Many Aspects of Merimac Brandybuck  by Lily Dragonquill

Title: Penny Buns or The Straw Hat Chronicles Part I
Rating: G
Summary: A ride through the woods leads two brothers to a tasty discovery.
Year: 1365
Author notes: The Straw Hat Chronicles are by no means chronologically ordered. It was just a silly little idea I had when I discovered that a straw hat would repeatedly appear in my Merimac stories - especially where some kind of mischief or foolishness was involved.


Special thanks to Ariel.



~*~*~



"Touch it and you're dead."

"It's ugly."

"That's style."

"You're stupid."

"You're jealous," Merimac said dryly and once again arranged his straw hat. He pulled its broad rim down to his nose to shield his eyes and drown half his face in shadow. Content with the result, Merimac lifted his chin and mounted his pony in what he doubtlessly thought, was an elegant manner.

Saradoc shook his head and followed his brother's example. "You're ridiculous, Mac, and so is the hat."

Merimac shrugged and softly kicked his steed. "Jealous."

"Because of that hat?" Saradoc snorted. "Sure I am!"

They trotted along together down the road to Bucklebury. The wind, fresh and cold enough to belie the gleaming sunshine of the autumn afternoon, played with their cloaks and brought colour to their cheeks. Saradoc welcomed the coolness. He had spent the morning brooding over some harvest calculations and had accepted his brother's invitation to join him for a ride gladly. Merimac, however, was uncommonly quiet and didn't provide him with the distraction he had looked forward to.

His brother's steed, Minx, was the first pony Merimac had tamed himself and this was her first foray away from the stables. Merimac, determined to find out exactly just how well she would do outside the riding ring, was now paying attention to every tremor and twitch of her ears. If not for that ridiculous hat he would almost have looked as if he knew what he was doing. Saradoc couldn't understand what his brother loved so about that hat. He couldn't even remember when or how he had got it, but ever since Merimac didn't go anywhere without it. Saradoc didn't mind so much. Not in summer; but now it was the end of Halimath and too much sun definitely wasn't a problem anymore.

"You should get rid of it," Saradoc announced and turned towards the woods south of the road. He had made many attempts to relieve his brother of his headdress and Merimac surely knew what he was talking about, though he made no reply. "What about another game? If you win, I will not bother you about it again; but if I should win, you will give it to me and I will do with it whatever I wish."

Merimac lifted his head and though Saradoc could see nothing but his brother's nose and chin he felt his eyes upon him. He looked straight back, a smile playing at the corner of his lips, for he knew his brother was unlikely to refuse such a challenge.

"You play me every year and you keep losing," Merimac told him. "I thought you brighter than to ask again. I wonder: will you handle your businesses in the same stubborn manner? After all you must know that you don't stand a chance against me."

"You've had fortune on your side these last two years," Saradoc said and grimaced at the memory. It had not been wise to play cards and roll the dices over as important a matter as this disgusting insect bait.

Merimac grinned. "Fortune likes my hat."

"Fortune has no taste," Saradoc answered.

Merimacs smirk grew even wider. "First one to the clearing wins?"

Saradoc didn't like the confidence in his brother's voice, but decided to take the risk. Merimac couldn't always be lucky. He nodded and a moment later both ponies were galloping along the narrow lane, Merimac obviously confident of his mount's speed. Red and golden leaves fluttered past them on either side. The sun sparkled from between the dwindling crowns, while their ponies stretched their necks forward as if intoxicated by their own speed. Their hooves pounded into to the ground frightening hedgerow birds which broke into wild squawks and fled in all directions.

Saradoc was in front by half a head. In his mind's eye, he could already see the hat going up in flames. Suddenly, his brother gave a shout of surprise and somersaulted past him. He almost would have landed on his feet, but then stumbled and fell face first into the dirt.

Alarmed, Saradoc pulled his pony to a halt and turned back. The straw hat had rolled into the middle of the lane. His brother lay sprawled and motionless beside it, his brown cloak covering him from head to toe. It was a horrific sight and Saradoc's heart was in his throat until he made out the sound of muffled curses punctuated by moans and groans - a sure sign that Merimac was not seriously injured.

Relieved, Saradoc turned to Minx. The pony stood some steps behind them under the branches of a tree and munched on a piece of - something. For a pony she looked decidedly smug and Saradoc couldn't help but feel that she was quite proud that she managed to unseat Merimac and was laughing at him.

"Sod it!" Merimac blustered as he scrambled to a sitting position. "Dratted nag! Blasted - oh - blood." Merimac paled and slumped back down the moment the red liquid dripped onto the back of his hand. He gave a pitiable moan and closed his eyes.

Saradoc watched him for a moment. His nose was a little flat. Blood trickled from it and ran across his dirty cheek. A scratch adorned his forehead and a few leaves were entangled in his hair. Other than that, Merimac looked all right. "It's not that much blood, Mac," Saradoc said. "No need to dramatise."

"Very sympathetic," his brother muttered and blinked up at him ruefully. "'Are you hurt, Merimac?' 'Can I help you in any way?' 'Here, lean on me for support.'" He sat up once again, brushed the blood from his nose, reached for his hat, and glared at Minx who was still munching contently.

Saradoc followed his angry stare and chuckled. "You didn't exaggerate when you said she was wilful."

"Wilful?!" Merimac bristled. "She's gormless and hoggish!" He advanced the pony with long strides. "What is it you're chewing on, glutton?" Angrily he grabbed the reins and pulled the pony's head up only to stare open-mouthed at her discovery. "Penny buns! That stupid mare eats mushrooms!"

"You have a great deal in common," Saradoc laughed as Merimac bent down to eagerly collect the mushrooms in his steed's stead. Denied access to the delicious food, Minx began to nibble on the straw hat instead, pulling it off Merimac's head defiantly. "And she likes your hat too. Maybe you should get yourself a box next to hers."

Merimac glowered at him while barely managing to keep his mare from eating the precious mushrooms. "Would you be so kind as to stop cracking jokes and keep this beast," Merimac pushed Minx's nose from where it had sneaked past his shoulder, "from the penny buns while I save my hat."

Saradoc smirked and made himself more comfortable in his saddle. "A difficult decision, isn't it? Hat or mushrooms? Style or food?" he teased with a singsong voice. "I'd go for the food. The hat is mine now anyway."

"You didn't win."

"I would have. You were quite," Saradoc snickered, "flattened." Merimac scowled at him, from beneath tousled curls. Beside him, the pony stared at her owner with the same expression. Merimac had a tight grip on her reins so she could not get another bite of the penny buns. Saradoc shook his head in amusement. "Really, Mac, Minx is your perfect mount."

Pulling an unwilling pony behind him, Merimac retrieved his hat and advanced on Saradoc to push the reins into his hands. "I had considered sharing this prize with you, but as things stand I believe I will eat them all myself."

Saradoc inclined his head, holding Minx back in spite of his threat. He thought he saw his brother grin as he knelt down to collect the rest of the penny buns. Merimac was no great cook, but he knew how to prepare mushrooms - better even than Cook! - and he also knew Saradoc was not averse to a little snack before tea; especially one of mushrooms. Saradoc fidgeted for a while, then cleared his throat. "I could keep my eyes open for a little more."

"Take Minx with you," Saradoc wasn't sure whether it was annoyance or some secret delight he heard in his brother's voice, "She seems to have a knack for finding them."

Saradoc looked at him for a very long moment, but Merimac didn't spare a glance at him or his pony. Annoyance, then, Saradoc told himself, and the prospect of grilled mushrooms to keep his anger at bay. He had better oblige and, perhaps, he might come up with another idea to get rid of that hat while he collected more mushrooms. Minx might be of help too if he could get her to nibble on its straw more often. With a last look at his brother, he clicked his tongue and pulled on Minx's reins. "Come here, glutton."

Somehow he wasn't surprised to find Merimac, whom this nickname was usually reserved for, looking up at him with a frown. Saradoc shook his head and chuckled quietly. Minx was, indeed, his brother's perfect mount.



~THE END~





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List