Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Latter Days  by Elanor Silmariën

39 ~ Exciting News

Sam has been gone for a few days now, visiting a sick second cousin across the Shire. The peaceful feeling of that day last week lingered until Sam left. Then I took to shutting myself in my study to write. Today, though, I am not feeling quite up to writing, so I curl up in my uncle’s old arm chair with a large book while Rosie is off visiting her mother for the afternoon.

I get so lost in the tale that I don’t notice Rosie is back until she comes to stand in the doorway to the parlor.

I glance up at her. She looks bewildered and a bit frightened.

“Is everything all right, Rosie?” I ask as she enters the room, hand resting on her stomach. I am beginning to suspect what’s going on.

She looks at me, wide eyed. “Mum says I’m pregnant,” she says quietly. She sits down heavily on the couch.

I refrain from leaping in the air for joy. My Sam is going to be a father! I smile at her, too excited for words, and she grins at me, then laughs.

“I’m having a baby!” she says. “Sam’ll be thrilled when he finds out!”

“Yes he will,” I reply. “I am so happy for you!”

She beams at me, then her expression droops a little. “I’m a little scared,” she admits. “What if something happens? Or what if I don’t know how to raise this child?”

“You’ll be a wonderful mother, Rosie,” I assure her.

She smiles again, then asks, “How long’ve you known, Mr. Frodo?”

I shrug. “I’ve seen this one in my dreams for a while now,” I reply. “This child will be a wonderful gift.”

Rosie grins at me. “Oh, I can’t wait to tell Sam!” she says, nearly bouncing off the couch. “He did promise to be back well before Tom’n Marigold’s weddin’ this weekend, didn’t he Mr. Frodo?”

I laugh gently. “Yes, Rosie-lass, he’ll be home soon. Perhaps even tonight.”

She suddenly leaps up. “I’m going to visit Ellis’ mum, tell her the news,” she says, kissing my forehead before grabbing her cloak and dashing for the door. “I’ll be back in time to make summer, so don’t you go touchin’ anything in the kitchen Mr. Frodo. I’ll cook it tonight!” she says, and I smile. “Goodbye!”

“Goodbye, Rosie!” I call in response as the front door clicks shut.

* * *

Rosie comes through the door a few hours later, a bag in her arms. I meet her in the doorway to take it from her.

“Salvia just had to give me some o’ her baby things!” Rosie says with a grin. “She said I could have them seein’ as she don’t need them anymore, as all her children are out of baby clothes now.”

“Well, that was thoughtful of her,” I say, glancing through the bag at the clothing and blankets, and smiling.

“I didn’t want to take them at first, but she insisted,” Rosie replies, her face suddenly clouding. “She said the healer told her she isn’t strong enough to have children no more. But she said she’s content with her brood as they are.” She smiles again. “I don’t know how she handles so many little ones, and bein’ stuck in bed or a chair all day at that!”

She has me put the bag in a drawer of her and Sam’s wardrobe, then heads to make dinner, the cat at her heels.

I stand in their room for a moment, thinking of their child-to-come, and wondering what Sam will say when he finds out, then I follow after Rosie to help her with dinner.

* * *

About an hour after dinner, when the sun has gone down, I hear the door creak open and Sam’s voice calls, “Rosie, Frodo! I’m back!”

Rosie looks up from her knitting, and I look up from my book. We smile at each other, then go to meet him in the doorway.

Rosie throws her arms around his neck and kisses him, then steps aside as Sam comes to hug me.

“Sam,” Rosie says when he turns back to her. “I’ve got somethin’ to tell you.” She grabs his hand and pulls him into the parlor. She holds his hands, and I lean in the doorway, listening. She is practically bouncing again in her excitement.

“Sam, I’m pregnant!” she says, grinning. She is practically glowing.

Sam’s eyes fly wide open, and for a moment he is speechless. “You… you are?” he asks when he finds his tongue.

I laugh, and Rosie nods. “Yes! I am,” she says.

Sam’s face lights up and he lifts her up, twirling her around before kissing her.

“When are you having the child?” he asks, looking just as excited as she.

“Mum says near March or April,” Rosie says.

Sam smiles again, then turns to look at me. I meet his gaze with a look, and he says, “What?”

“I was just thinking of how many little Gamgee children will be running around me hole,” I reply with a smile.

Sam grins. “As many as’ll fit,” he says.

I nod. “Yes. As many as you can fit.” Sam waves me over and wraps one arm around my waist and his other around Rosie’s.

“Congratulations,” I say. “That sounds sort of hollow and formal!” I complain. “But there isn’t a word I can think of to say what I mean.”

Sam laughs. “I think we know,” he says.

I lean my head on his shoulder, and close my eyes. “Can they call me Uncle Frodo, Sam?” I ask.

“If you want them to, dear,” Sam replies, and Rosie agrees.

I smile and nod. “I think I’ll go to bed now. Good night!” I hug them both, then turn and head for my room.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List