Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Latter Days  by Elanor Silmariën

40 ~ Marigold’s Wedding

Sam has been whistling and singing all day long as we prepare for Marigold’s wedding, and his cheerfulness has lifted my spirits even more than Rosie’s news a few days ago.

Once, when I get him alone when he is singing, I smile at him and say, “What is the matter with you, Sam-lad?”

He grins. “Nothin’s the matter,” he says. “In fact, nothin’ could be better. My sister’s gettin’ married, my wife’s havin’ a baby, and you’re feelin’ well and lookin’ better.”

I grin and he hugs me, starting to sing again. His voice calms me and I rest back into his arms.

When his song is over, he makes as though to move away and go finish what he has been working on, but I stop him.

“Please, don’t stop singing, Sam,” I say, grabbing his arms and holding them about me.

He smiles, complying and I lean my head against his shoulder to listen.

* * *

Marigold and Tom decided to have the wedding in the evening under the party tree.

The three of us go out early to help with the preparations. Sam tried to convince me I should stay until it was time for the wedding. He said I didn’t need to help, but I insisted that I wanted to, and so he let me.

We reach the field just as the hobbits begin setting up chairs in the rows along the field.

Sam and I immediately begin to help, grabbing chairs and setting them in place and Rosie heads over to where her mum and Sam’s sisters are putting flowers everywhere.

I can see out of the corner of my eye that Sam is watching me closely every time I lift one of the chairs, but I just smile to myself and pretend I haven’t seen his look.

My back aches by the time we are through, but I am happy I could help. I do not mention this to Sam, but I can tell he knows my shoulder is bothering me as well.

The wedding commences without much trouble, other than Ham and Hall nearly knocking over the tables while setting up the food for afterwards.

Sam is all jittery. He and Marigold have always been close, and he is so excited that his little sister is getting married at last.

When the wedding is over, Sam stays close to his sister and her new husband for the feast.

I watch them from my seat beside Rose as Sam sits beside Marigold. They are all so happy and content that it can’t help but rub off on me a little.

I feel almost me again. I’ve been so focused on other things that I’ve almost been able to forget my problems.

Rose smiles at me. “It’s nice to see he’s makin’ you happy, Mr. Frodo,” she says.

I grin. “He’s always been able to make me happy, Rose.”

“He’s somethin’ special, hmm?” she muses. “Special like you, Mr. Frodo.” She grins at me as I feel myself blush deep red.

“Now, don’t you go denyin’ it, sir,” she says, wagging her finger in my face. “Both Sam an’ I see it.”

I smile at her gratefully. “Thank you, Rose,” I say. “Sam is very lucky to have you.”

Now it’s her turn to blush.

* * *

The three of us get back to Bag End late and go to bed shortly afterwards, but I can’t sleep. I just lie in bed thinking over everything that has been happening lately, and when I finally do fall asleep, my dreams are filled by a small, blonde haired hobbit lass.

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List