Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Latter Days  by Elanor Silmariën

A/N: Another birthday gift for Antane, because she requested more chapters of my stories. Here you go, filled with hobbity-love, and Frodo having fun!! *grins* This chapter is actually based on real events that happened with me, my friend Eleon (my Sam) and our friend Tiana, playing in a fountain with a really nice pool (long story. *grins*) so it was really fun writing. I hope you like it! God bless, Ellie.

38 ~ The Picnic

The sun shines clearly this afternoon as I ride my pony up the drive from Mr. Whitfoot’s home. It is now Mid-year’s Day. I had received a letter from Mr. Whitfoot not three days ago, informing me that my term as Deputy Mayor is over, should I wish to resign.

I replied very quickly that I do wish to resign, though Mr. Whitfoot requested I stay for another term as Mayor.

Now the papers have been signed, Mr. Whitfoot is Mayor again, and I am on my way home, feeling as though the weight of responsibility has been lifted from my shoulders, even though it wasn’t much of a responsibility.

When I arrive back home, I find Sam standing in the kitchen, loading things into a basket.


“Hullo, Frodo!” he says, grinning at me. “I thought we’d go for a picnic today, seein’ as how the weather’s nice an’ all.”

I smile, feeling almost light hearted for the first time in a long time. “That sounds wonderful, Sam. Where’s Rose? Is she coming along?”

Sam nods. “She’s in changin’ so she won’t get her good dress dirty.”

Within moments Sam has finished with the basket and Rosie is done changing, and the three of us head out to find a quiet spot on the banks of The Water, away from other people out on this lovely day.

Rosie lays out a blanket, and we all sit down, resting for a minute from the walk before Rosie starts pulling out plates and bags of food Sam had brought to make lunch.

Suddenly my stomach growls, and Sam looks up at me with a shocked expression.

“Was that your stomach, Frodo?” he asks.

I feel myself blush and say, “Yes, it was. I think it’s saying I’m hungry!” I say, trying to make light of it. I have not been this hungry since… well, since the Quest, I suppose. But today my stomach must have decided to act more normal than it has been. I laugh, and Sam smiles at me, still looking a bit surprised, but happy.

We eat slowly, and then Rosie lays back, her head on Sam’s knee, and I stretch out on my stomach, gazing at the calm river flowing along beside us, ignoring our presence.

“I haven’t been on a picnic since Merry was little,” I say, thinking about how much I had used to enjoy picnics. “Uncle Bilbo wasn’t much of a picnic person. He preferred camping trips.”

Sam nods. And we sit silent again for a moment.

Suddenly, I rise, getting an idea. The sun is shining clear through the trees, and the day is hot. I walk up to the bank of the river, and dip my toes in.

“It’s not that cold,” I say. “Anyone up for a swim?” I glance back at Sam and Rosie, seeing the skeptical look forming on Sam’s face.

“Swim, Mr. Frodo?” Rosie asks. “I ain’t swum before, an’ I don’t reckon I’d be very good at it.” She grins at me.

“I don’t think I like swimming,” Sam says, and I can see he’s remembering when he almost drowned.

“Come on, Sam,” I plead. “It’s only about waist deep here, and I won’t let you drown.” I smile encouragingly at him. “It will be fun!”

Rosie is standing up. “I think it does sound like fun,” she says. “Besides, the heat is near unbearable.”

Sam looks from Rosie to me, questioningly as I roll up the ends of my pants, and wade into the water up to my knees.

Rosie comes to the edge and dips a toe in. “It isn’t all that cold. Feels right good!” She pulls off her apron that serves as a skirt over her dress, and comes in after me.

Sam stands, and looks at us as though we are crazy. Then he shakes his head, and says, “All right, if you insist, I’ll come.”

He pulls off his jacket and rolls up his pant legs as he saw me do, then follows us to the middle of the river.

It really isn’t that deep, only a bit above my waist, and the current is not very strong.

“See, Sam? It isn’t all that scary, is it?” I ask, as he wades over to us.

He grips my arm tightly, and says, “It is a bit, but not as scary as that river we was on,” he says, smiling at me a little.

“Just watch where you put your feet so you don’t slip on a slick rock,” I warn, feeling the bottom of the river with my toes.

Suddenly I feel a splash of water on the back of my neck. I jump in surprise, whirling around to see Rosie standing behind us, her hands clasped behind her back, and a mischievous grin on her face.

“Rosie?” I say. “Did you do that?”

“Me, Mr. Frodo?” she asks, putting on an innocent look. “Why, I wouldn’t do that!”

“I didn’t think so,” I say. “You’re too nice to think of it.” I pause for a moment, grinning. “But I’m not that nice!” I say, splashing her back. She shrieks in surprise, lifting her hands to block the water, and giggling.

Sam laughs. “So this is what I get for bringing you two on a picnic? A water fight?” he says with a grin. “Well, then you both deserve this!” He splashes water in our faces, getting Rosie’s hair soaking wet.

I cough and splutter, pretending to be shocked for a moment. “Sam!” I cry.

He looks immediately worried. “Frodo? Are you all right?”

I splash him back, wetting his shirt and hair. “Now I am,” I say, and he laughs.

“You scared me, love,” he says, as we all simultaneously decide that the water fight is over.

“I’m sorry, Sam. I couldn’t resist,” I say grinning at him.

“The water isn’t so bad, is it, Sam?” Rosie asks, bobbing up and down.

I take a deep breath, and dive under, popping up again beside Sam. “See, it’s perfectly fine,” I say, leaning back and floating on top of the water.

He watches me for a moment, then finally admits. “All right, it’s not that bad.”

I stand up. “Good!” I say. “I doubt you’ll be going under any time soon, but at least you’re not afraid of it.”

“How do you stay floating like that?” Sam asks. “I didn’t float, I sunk!”

I pause for a moment. “I don’t know. It just happens, I suppose, if you try lying on your back,” I reply.

We swim about for a bit longer, and I try to teach Rosie and Sam how to float on their backs.

After a while we look up to see that the sun is starting to set, and Rosie says, “All right, lads, I think we’ve had enough swimming for one day. It’s near time we should be getting’ home.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List