Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Latter Days  by Elanor Silmariën

12 ~ Luck at Last

"You see Frodo, we've got some more luck at last," Sam says with a smile as he helps me attempt to bathe my kitten that evening. "I didn't think any respectable hobbit would believe such things."

"Oh Sam, I wish I had your optimism," I reply, holding Wanderer's head and tail so he doesn't dash away.

"What are we going to do now that that's done with?" Sam asks, grabbing the bar of soap and lathering it on his hands before soaping Wanderer's fur. "Aragorn said he wanted to talk with you and your uncles."

"I was thinking I'd stay here for as long as I'm needed, until Aragorn goes home," I reply. "You can stay as well, if you like. Merry's going to stay."

"I think I will. But I need to get back to Hobbiton to see what's to be done about the plants and trees as soon as I can," Sam says.

"All right," I say, tightening my hold as Wanderer tries to wriggle away. "Oh, this cat is making me tired! I'm going straight to bed once he's clean!"

"And hope he stays in his bed tonight, not yours," Sam states.

I roll my eyes.

* * *

"Are you sure you're awake enough for this meeting, Frodo?" Uncle Sara teases me when I yawn for the third time in two minutes.

"Of course," I reply, sitting straighter in my chair. Uncle Paladin shakes his head.

Aragorn is sitting on the floor in front of us. "He seems to like yawning," he says. "He made the rest of us tired just by yawning all morning."

"At least then I had an excuse," I reply under my breath, just loud enough for him to hear.

"Back to the real reason of our meeting..." Aragorn says, looking pointedly at me. "I can inforce the ban from outside by setting Rangers along the borders of Buckland and the Shire. Any Man wishing to enter must have written permission from the Thain, the Master and the Mayor."

Uncle Paladin nods.

"This does not include elves and dwarves, does it? Only Men?" I ask.

"That is correct. To my knowledge Shire-folk have never had problems with them," Aragorn replies.

"I like it," Uncle Paladin says. "Sounds as if it will make the Shire a very safe place to live. That's just what we need. Are we in agreement?"

I nod and Uncle Sara says, "Yes." I sigh. Finally we've reached a verdict. And we spent since second breakfast discussing how commands and alerts would get from the Bounders to the Rangers. Politics are so very detailed.

We discuss a few other matters that concerned the Shire, then sign papers and so forth.

When we are through, I open the door just at the moment Sam was about to knock to bring us to elevenses.

"Oh Sam, I'm SO glad to see you. I was about to die of sheer boredom!" I say, sighing in relief that we're finally done.

"Stop acting so dramatic, Frodo," Uncle Sara says. "It isn't that bad. And you're pretty good at this."

I straighten up. "You think so?"

Uncle Paladin nods. "It's probably not as exciting as those adventures you used to talk about, but you could make a job of this."

Sam and I exchange glances. I'd rather be anywhere than on the Quest again.

"Well, elevenses is ready. Are you going to join us Strider?" Sam asks.

"Oh, no thank you. I shall go tend to my horse. But thank you anyways," Aragorn replies, then turns and walks out.

"For someone so big he doesn't eat much," Uncle Sara states, watching him leave.

* * *

Late in the afternoon I find Aragorn outside the stables in a grove of trees where no one would see him.

"Mind if I join you?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "Have a seat." He pats the ground beside him.

I sit and he turns to look at me. "You're still very thin, Frodo," he says, searching my face carefully.

I shrug. "I find that if I eat less, I have less of a chance of losing it later."

"Sam does not seem to have the same problem," Aragorn replies. "And his condition was even worse than yours."

"I don't understand it, Aragorn," I say.

"I think I do. But I don't like it."

"What?"

"Carrying the Ring might have had something to do with it," he says. "It made you weaker than Sam, even though you were both going through the same physical harm."

I nod. I know that all too well.

"Other than that, how are you getting on?" he asks.

"As well as can be expected, I suppose," I reply, watching the leaves on the ground. There is no snow here because of the trees over head, but it is still very cold. "Sam and Merry and Pippin are doing their best to make me happy, but..." I sigh. "I keep telling myself it will just take time, for everything to return to normal."

Aragorn nods. "And you're not sure you believe that?" he asks.

"Yes," I say, pulling my cloak closer around me.

"Sam tells me you are having trouble sleeping."

I nod. "Yes, but most of that is Wanderer's fault," I state, smiling mischevously.

Aragorn grins. "Cats can be difficult."

"Have you ever had one?" I ask.

"No, but Arwen wants one to help keep the mice out of the kitchens. She likes cats," he replies. "I prefer horses."

"Uncle Bilbo always had cats when I lived with him. Once his cat had kittens, and we had seven cats." I smile remembering it.

He looks at me for a moment. "It's good to see you smile, Frodo. Don't lose hope yet. It may just take more time."

"Yes, I know," I say as Aragorn pulls me into a hug.

"Now you'd better get inside before you freeze to death," he says jokingly.

I rise and obey my king.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List