Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Latter Days  by Elanor Silmariën

13 ~ Home Again

Three days later we are on our way back home. Wanderer is secured in a crate tied to one of Strider's saddle bags, making a big fuss about it.

The ride back to Hobbiton is almost as quiet as the ride to the Smials. Alot has happened in the past week, and Sam and I are both deep in thought.

Merry and Pippin are riding a few paces behind us, singing a song Pippin learned in Gondor; something about a battle, and a drunk soldier beating an evil king in a duel. I am not really paying attention.

We reach the Cotton's farm be suppertime, and hurriedly unpack our things before joining them for the meal. Once again the long ride has made me extremely hungry, and Mrs. Cotton is a wonderful cook.

"Will you be staying the night Sam?" Mr. Cotton questions. "Or'll you go on up to yer Da's place?"

"I think I'll stay the night, if you don't mind," Sam replies. "It's getting late, and I wanted to talk to you about the planting."

"Well, we've plenty of seeds here, as does your Gaffer, so all you've gotta do is plant 'em now and hope they grow come spring," Mr. Cotton says.

I remain silent, listening intently. I keep waiting for Sam to think of the gift Galadriel gave him when we left Lothlorien, but he never mentions it.

They discuss what plants they have and where to place them, and what to do about crops for the coming year. Sam believes that by spring the Shire will be in bloom again and be as beautiful as it used to be. He believes it can be healed by his care and love. Perhaps that is all I need as well. Oh how I wish that were so!

A while after supper the Cottons head for bed, but the four of us stary in the parlor, staring at the burning embers of the fire.

Suddenly I see a light dawn in Sam's eyes. He rises and says, "I'll be right back." He runs out to where his saddle bags are sitting, by the front door and hurries back.

"I just remembered Lady Galadriel's gift! She said that it would help my garden if I sprinkle this there," he says, holding out the small box.

*"I wondered when you'd think of it," I say. "Open it!"*

Inside it is filled with grey dust, and a small silver seed. I have never seen anything like it in my life, and I wonder what plant the seed is from. Some sort of Elvish tree, I suppose.

*"What can I do with this?" Sam says.

"Throw it in the air on a breezy day, and let it do it's work!" says Pippin.

"On what?" says Sam.

"Choose one spot as a nursery and see what happens to the plants there," says Merry.*

I grin. My cousin's love to help, but they aren't very good at it. I already know what Sam has in mind for this gift of his.

*"But I'm sure the Lady would not like me to keep it all for my own garden, now so many folk have suffered," Sam says.

"Use all the wits and knowledge you have of your own, Sam," I say. "Then use the gift to help your work and better it. And use it sparingly. There's not much there and I expect every grain has a value."*

"Of course! But will this last over the whole Shire?" he asks.

"It's magic, of course it'll last!" Pippin exclaims.

"Use it wisely, dear. I'm sure you'll know how to work it through all the Shire," I add with a smile.

"Just don't use it all up in Hobbiton and not come help us poor Bucklanders," Merry commands. "We may not be in the Shire, but we need help too."

"If you say so, Mr. Merry," Sam replies. He glances back over at me. "You look tired."

I nod. "I am tired. Perhaps I should go to bed now." I rise, and the others follow suit.

"I guess we're all sleepy, cousin," Pippin says, grinning at me.

We quietly head for our bedrooms.

* * *

I glance at the clock above the mantle. It reads two in the morning. I haven't slept very well tonight, even though I am as tired as if I'd worked hard all day long.

The door to my room creaks open slowly, and I expect to see Wanderer leaping onto my bed, but instead I see Pippin enter my room, looking very young and frightened.

"Did you have a nightmare?" I ask as he climbs onto my bed.

He nods. "I didn't want to wake Merry. He's not been sleeping well and he was snoring. I knew you were already awake."

For a moment my thoughts are drawn back to when Pippin was little, and he always came to me when he had nightmares. Now I look at him, and it's hard to remember he's still only thirty. He seems so much older now.

"What was it this time?" I ask as he scoots closer to me. I wrap my arms around him.

"Trolls," he says. "Lot's of them."

I feel him shudder and say, "Don't you worry, Pip. I'm here. You have nothing to fear." The old words come back to me so easily, and I see him smile faintly. "Do you think you can fall back asleep now?" I ask.

"I hope so," he whispers. "It's getting better, though. I don't have so many nightmares anymore. Merry hardly has any."

"I'm glad Pippin," I reply. I love listening to my cousin talk. He is always so optimistic and innocent.

"Frodo?" he asks. "Can I ask you something?"

I look at him questioningly. "What?"

"Have you ever liked a lass?"

I think for a moment. "Well, when I was younger I did like this one girl, but nothing ever came of it," I reply.

"Oh," he says. "What happened?"

What had happened was that Uncle Bilbo had left, given me the Ring, and the lass had given up on me, claiming I was too distant.

"Frodo?" Pippin says.

"The Ring happened," I reply, knowing he'll understand.

He does. "I think I like a girl, Fro," he says. "I mean, really like her."

"That lass you were dancing with?" I question, smiling at him.

"Yes. Her name is Diamond, and she's from Long Cleave. I think she likes me too. What do I do?" he asks.

"You can't get married yet," I remind him. "But you could become friends and make sure you really like her and her family," I reply.

"Like Sam is doing? He and Rosie are really good friends." Pippin smiles.

"Yes," I say. "Like Sam. As a matter of fact, Merry is doing the same thing with Estella. Though he keeps telling me they're not getting married for along time."

Pippin yawns. "She's really nice and really pretty, Frodo."

I smile as his green eyes close and he falls asleep. I rest my head on his shoulder and drift of to sleep myself, hoping he won't break my bed because of his height.

A/N: The lines between the * are from The Return of the King - The Grey Havens. I changed the tences for the purpose of this story.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List