Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Latter Days  by Elanor Silmariën

11 ~ What Happened Next

After elevenses Pippin and Sam sneak Aragorn out to the barn to visit his horse and our ponies, and Merry challenges me to a game of chess. Wanderer is curled up in my lap, watching every move we make as if he understands the game.

I am about to win when a knock sounds at the door. Merry leaps up to answer it. I sit still for a moment, knowing that I know the messenger standing in the doorway. Then it hits me and I rise slowly.

"Hullo Frodo," he says smiling at me. "Merry. I thought I'd never see you two again."

I smile as he steps in and Merry closes the door behind him. "Hello Gen. It's been a long time."

"I'll say!" our old friend Gen replies. "I've got good news for you."

"What?" Merry asks.

"Well, you see, Brend and I were staying at a nearby inn with a few other friends, and I'm sure you heard there was a brawl this morning?" he says.

"Yes, what does that have to do with us?" Merry questions.

"It started when Brend heard Lergie Bracegirdle talking about you, Frodo, and none of the seven of us there liked what we heard. You've heard the rumors he started?"

I nod and he continues. "Well, he was yelling and spluttering about it, and I could tell he was drunk. So Brend, who's a Shirrif, got up and placed him under room arrest for slander."

I stare for a moment, then say the only thing that comes to mind. "Brend is a Shirrif?"

Gen nods. "I know he swore he wouldn't, but, as he says, plans change."

"Well this is starting to look up," Merry states.

"Brend wants to talk to you at the inn," Gen says, looking at me for a moment.

At that instant Sam and Pippin walk through the door.

"Strider's in the barn, Frodo. He needed to wash his horse, so we decided to leave," Pippin says, stopping the moment he sees Gen. "Who're you?" he demands.

"Gen Brandybuck," Gen says. "I'm a friend of Frodo and Merry. Who are you?"

"Pippin Took. I'm their cousin," Pippin responds. "And this is Sam Gamgee," he adds, indicating Sam, who is standing beside me.

"Nice to meet you," he half bows from where he's standing, then turns to me. "Are you going yo come? Brend was insistant that you come soon. We've already wasted half the day talking to the witnesses."

"What's happened?" Sam asks, stroaking Wanderer's head.

"They've arrested Lergie Bracegirdle for slander," I answer, letting Wanderer climb onto his shoulder. I turn back to Gen. "Can my friends come as well?" I ask.

"I don't see why not," Gen replies.

I look at them. "They want me to come down to the inn and talk to the Shirrif." I smile at Merry who is grinning at the mention of our friend.

"All right then, let's go!" Pippin says.

* * *

We meet Brend and Uncle Paladin in the common room of the inn a few blocks away from where Rosie is staying.

Brend smiles at us. "Hello Frodo, Merry. How've you been getting along without me?"

"Alot better than we ever were with you," Merry replies sarcastically.

Brend grins. "All right, down to business," Brend says, leading the six of us towards a table in the corner. Once we're seated he turns to look at me and says, "Your uncle says he wants you to decide what his sentance is."

I look at Paladin questioningly, and he nods encouragingly.

"What is the usual sentance for this?" I ask.

"Usually a fine payed to the person, or banishment," Brend replies. "We haven't much need for the sentance since such a crime is very rare in the Shire."

"I have no need for more money," I say, thinking. "Perhaps banishment would be best. Then he will not be around to torment any one else."

Brend nods. "Sounds right to me."

"Well, now that's over with, let's have a drink!" Pippin says with a grin. Uncle Paladin rubs his face and rolls his eyes.

"All right," Brend says. "Find us a waiter." He turns to me. "Don't look so depressed Frodo. Nobody believed those rumors. They know you well enough to trust you. Besides, no hobbit born and raised in the Shire would ever think of doing such things."

I give him a half smile. "You're sure they don't believe him?"

"Absolutely! Trust me, I was back in Buckland when he passed through on his way here. He stayed a few nights there at an inn. They all said he was a tall-tale drunkard."

"No one here liked him much either," Gen added. "One hobbit I talked to said he was vulgar, and not worth talking to."

I relax a bit. "So," I say, looking at Brend. "Tell me your story. How did you become a Shirrif?"

Brend shrugs. "I joined up so I could go on the search parties for you," he says. "Then Sharkey and Lotho took over, and Gen and I and a few other folks rebelled. We ran off into the forest and stayed there nearly six months, doing all we could to tamper with the Ruffians plans. I used your crop raiding technique, Frodo. It kept us alive, believe it or not."

I smile. "Our rebel years actually paid off?"

"They did," he replies. "And the whole time we wished you were there, cause I was sure we were doing something wrong."

I laugh and see Sam smile across the table.

"So what about you, Frodo? We've heard some strange tales about what you were doing," Gen says, accepting the mug of ale offered him. "Was it true you went to Mordor? I don't know where that is, but it sounds frigtening, if half the tales are true."

"Yes, we did go there," I reply, keeping my right hand under the table. I remember the smell of Mordor even here, like burning sulfur, and suddenly feel almost suffocated. I remind myself that I am not there, I am home, and safe with my friends around me, and after a brief second I feel all right. Sam looks concerned.

"You all right, Frodo?" Brend asks.

I nod. "I'm fine," I reply.

He looks at me for a moment, then, as if sensing I want to change the subject, he says, "I visited old Farmer Maggot when I was back home a few weeks ago. My Da wanted me to get some mushrooms, the right way, of course. Farmer Maggot told me he saw you before you left the Shire."

"Yes," I reply. "Pippin, Sam and I were walking to Buckland cross-country, and ended up on his property by accident, and he invited us in for supper. I don't think he recognised me at first."

We sat and talked for almost an hour, then we decided it was time to leave.

Gen and Brend stand up and give Merry and I hugs.

"Do come visit sometime," Brend says. "Gen's got a wife and six children at home, but I'm sure he won't mind you stopping by if you can find his new hole. I still live in the same place."

"Perhaps we'll come the next time we're in Buckland," I say. "Farewell!"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List