Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Latter Days  by Elanor Silmariën

10 ~ Breakfast

I sit alone on my bed late that evening, pondering the events of the day. I've tried to stop thinking, but I can't. My mind is racing.

We decided that Aragorn would stay in one of the empty mathom rooms that night, as it was the only room big enough for him to sleep in, and the room least likely that anyone would look in.

The party is just now breaking up, and luckily we didn't have any trouble with Mr. Bracegirdle, but I figured it was just as well that I was out of the way as the guests left.

Someone knocks on my door and I rise to answer it.

"Frodo, Rosie says she's brought Wanderer with her," Sam says, leaning on my doorframe. "She didn't want to leave him, says he was whining for you."

"Where is he?" I ask, confused.

"At the inn she's stayin' at. I was going to take her over there and she asked if you wanted to come too."

I smile. "Yes, I'd like that."

We head down the hall and find Rosie in the entryway, already bundled up in her warm winter cloak and the scarf Sam gave her for Yule. Sam and I grab our elven cloaks from the coat tree and we head out.

"Are you lads going to be warm enough?" Rosie asks, glancing at the thin material of our cloaks questioningly.

"They are alot warmer than they appear," I assure her, pulling my hood up to keep my ears warm. It has begun to snow and the temperature is dropping.

I glance over at my companions a moment later and see Rosie slip her hand into Sam's. I smile to myself. They shall be happily married someday, and be blessed with many children. I only hope I shall be here to see them all.

Sam meets my gaze and smiles back, but I can tell he noticed the brief sadness in my expression.

We reach the inn shortly after, and Rosie shows us to her room, where Wanderer is waiting on her bed. As I approach he walks to the edge of the bed and meows for me to pick him up.

"I'm afraid he's missed you terribly, Mr. Frodo," Rosie says, grinning as I lift the tabby kitten into my arms.

"Thank you for taking care of him for me," I reply, smiling at her. For a moment the whole world feels perfect, just the three of us and Wanderer. Then I am brought back to the real world as Sam lays a hand on my arm and says, "It's late, dear. We'd best get Wanderer's things and get you home, and let Rosie get to bed. She looks almost as tired as you do."

"Tired and happy," Rosie replies beaming at Sam. Then she turns 'round and grabs Wanderer's basket and sand box and hands them to Sam. "And here's a bag of leftover food my Mum sent for him." She puts the sack in the basket, then we say goodnight and leave.

* * *

This morning I awake to the sound of conversation outside my room. The voices are too low for me to understand what they are saying, but loud enough for me to know that Aragorn and Sam are standing there.

I rise and get dressed, then join them in the hall. Sam looks a bit surprised to see me up so early.

"I was just coming to wake you," he says, searching my face. "Is something the matter?"

I shake my head. "Wanderer woke me up," I reply. "He seems to think that my bed is his."

Aragorn smiles as said kitten prances happily out of my room and leaps towards my  left shoulder. He grabs the cat mid-leap and stroaks his silky grey fur gently. "Wrong shoulder, Wanderer," he says, placing him safely on my right shoulder.

"He's attached to me because I rescued him from Bag End," I say. "But he's only two months old. When he grows up he may leave me alone more."

We start down the hall. I feel as though I need to talk to keep from worrying about all that has happened lately, and, luckily, Aragorn is willing to comply.

"Have you met Merry and Pippin's parents yet?" I ask, glancing up at Aragorn's hunched figure.

"Yes, I met them this morning, as a matter of fact," he replies, attempting not to bump his head in any of the doorways. "They seem like very nice people."

"They are," I reply. "Really they're my cousins, however many times removed, but I've always called them my aunts and uncles. Uncle Sara and Aunt Esme were my guardians after my parents died. That is, until Bilbo adopted me," I explain.

Aragorn nods, and I can see he's thankful I didn't explain exactly how we are related. He's heard enough of that from Merry and Pippin already.

Merry and Pippin are already waiting for us in the dining room when we enter, ready to start second breakfast, though I see evidence that Pippin has not been able to control his hunger succesfully.

"You couldn't wait, could you?" I whisper to him as we sit down around the table.

He shakes his head. "I was hungry, and you take forever to get here," he replies. "Now eat up before I eat the rest of it."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List