Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Crickhollow March 1420  by Anso the Hobbit

PART FOUR: Frodo’s Letter

“We should send that letter to Frodo today, andI suppose you ought to write it, Pip,” Merry said at breakfast the next day, absentmindedly rubbing at his hand. The numbness hadn't gone away but he felt much better for the talk they had had the night before and he could feel the cheerfulness that had given him his nickname coming back.

Pippin agreed with a broad smile and dipped the quill in the inkwell.

Crickhollow, March 5th 1420

Dear Frodo

Pippin began. “What are we going to write?”

How are you? We are managing well enough although Aunt Esmie and Uncle Sara seem to think we need looking after...

Merry paced the study while Pippin wrote and looked out the window. The day was grey and dull but Merry desperately needed to get outside for a while. When they had finished Frodo’s letter and also written a letter to Pippin’s parents and sisters Merry gathered them up and put them on the table in the hall. “Why don’t we go to the Perch for lunch? I want to get outside for a bit. We can go to the Hall after and see if we can manage to wheedle tea and supper out of Mum. I am sure she'll be happy to feed us and Da always needs my help."

“I do like the sound of that idea. But if we go to the Perch we would have to leave Buckland,” Pippin teased. “It's in the Marish you know. Are you up to that? Leaving your beloved Buckland for a few hours?" His eyes twinkled.

Merry glared at him mockingly. “I might,” he said evenly. "But only if you come with me. I would need someone from the Shire proper to vouch for me. You never know how they will treat a wild Bucklander as me there." Merry's own eyes twinkled and he smiled. It was good to tease each other again after the seriousness of the past few days.

Pippin laughed heartily. He knew fully well how good friends the Bucklanders and the people from the Marish were, the Marish hobbits did after all look to the Master for authority and the Brandybucks and the Maggots had been in good standing with each other for generations.

“We could also go to the Bucklebury Inn," Pippin said. "That way you will be with your own."

“Ah,” Merry said. “But I am not quite sure if they are very friendly towards Tooks there. There are after all some nasty rumours going around. I do believe they talk about this Peregrin who's suddenly grown taller than his old Da and looks like a Knight where he rides about in his shining mail."

“Pfft,” Pippin waved Merry’s statement away. “Not heard of him. I am sure I will be able to charm my way into their hearts one way or other,” Pippin said confidently.

Merry snorted. “I bet you can. It’s settled then?”

“It is, and that, my friend,” Pippin said and rose from his chair, “sounds like a plan.” He slapped Merry on the back and put his jacket on.

*****

The Inn was not full at this time of day and they found a nice table by one of the windows overlooking the market in Bucklebury.

“Good day to you two young sirs,” Mr. Broadbelt said as he took their order. “Tired of cooking for yourselves, now are you?” The innkeeper smiled and nodded approvingly as he wrote their lunch order down on his slate. Pork pies and salad and ale and bread for starters, then roast chicken and peas.

“It's more that we miss the excellent roasted chicken you serve here," Pippin said.

“And the ale," Merry added and took a swig of his mug. "It’s much easier than to brew our own."

They ate for some time in silence, enjoying the excellent food. Other hobbits were sitting enjoying their own luncheon on the tables around them and hushed conversations could be heard, now and again intercepted with laughter. The atmosphere was a lot quieter than it would be in a few hours when people started coming in after finishing the day’s work. This was also the closest Inn to Brandy Hall and many Brandybucks who felt like getting out of the crowded burrow and see other faces came here for supper or ale or to hear news.

“So,” Pippin said, finally putting his fork down on his empty plate. “What do you think Berry’s wife said after him leaving her to fend for herself and the baby when he came with to help you?"

Merry shook his head. “I don’t know. I hope she wasn’t too hard on him. It is after all quite unforgivable to leave your wife and newborn even for a short trip I hope Uncle Mac explained it to her. He must after all have seen it as more important that he came to see us."

“Mmm." Pippin took another sip of his drink.

“I’m going to have a talk with them when we get to the Hall. It won't do if half the Hall to worry about us, they are shocked as it is that we wanted to move into Crickhollow and not stay at the Hall." Merry took another bite and swallowed. "One should think the fuss was over now that we are back home and safe again."

“Merry! Since when did you think the family would stop fussing? They never will!” Pippin said, outraged that Merry would even suggest such a thing.

“No, you’re right,” Merry laughed. He looked down at his empty mug. “Do you want another one?”

*****

It was almost tea time when Merry and Pippin arrived at the Hall and they had barely managed to hang their hoods up in the hall when Esmeralda found them and hugged both lads tightly. "Good to see you both! I didn't know you would greet us with your presence so quickly, but please, come in and sit down. No need to stand about in the hallway chatting. Merry-lad, I do believe Saradoc wants a word with you, and Pippin dearest, please come with me. I've been knitting a new jacket for you and I want you to try it on before I sew the sleeves to the body."

*****

It was quite late when Merry and Pippin rode back to Crickhollow. "Well," Merry said around a yawn, "I do believe Berilac is off the hook and Da was quite pleased with seeing me today. He forgot to ask me about the accounts from last year yesterday and wanted to know how many sheep we lost. He’s getting older you know and couldn’t remember where I had put them. How did your afternoon go? I didn’t get to ask you during dinner because Mum was too occupied stuffing me with her very delicious lamb chops.”

Pippin laughed and told about his afternoon. "I saw that. You would soon be as round as a ball if she got to feed you more often. I got to talk to Berilac a bit before dinner though and he told me about it. Pansy was glad he could be of help but now she is worried about us too." He sighed. "I think we need to get away for a bit."

“Aye,” Merry agreed. “I wonder how Frodo is doing. I hope he answers our letter soon. I hope Bag End is in ready for him now and that he's doing fine.”

“I hope so too,” Pippin said.

*****

“How do you want your eggs, Pip?” The next morning Merry was busy making breakfast when a knock was heard on the door. "I'll get it. Watch the bacon, will you?" Merry wiped his hands on a towel and went to open the door. It was the Post hobbit.

“Good morning Master Merry,” the post hobbit said and handed him several letters. “Do you have any post for me to bring?”

“Thank you, Tom. No, I don't have anything today. We did have a couple of letters yesterday but we brought it with us down to Bucklebury and sent it with the post from there.”

“All right well good day to you, sir!”

“Good day to you Tom. I’ll see you later." Merry shut the door and started going through the letters. There was one from Uncle Paladin to Pippin and one from Pearl as well. And then there was one from Frodo. Merry recognised the shaky handwriting at once, and frowned. Frodo had always had the most beautiful handwriting Merry had seen, no doubt because of all those Elvish lessons, but now the familiar handwriting was shaky and he tore open the envelope. "Pip, there's a letter from Frodo here. Looks like our letter and his must have passed each other in the post." Merry put the other letters on the kitchen table and started reading out loud.

"Dear Merry and Pippin

I often think of you both and hope to see you soon. The work on Bag End is constantly improving and I hope to be able to move in there in a few days. I know you both are busy with settling in at Crickhollow and I do hope you aren't in too much trouble yet. Sam has spoken to Rosie as he might tell you in a letter of his own and the wedding is to be on the 1st of May. And you must come see how the Party Tree is growing! Sam has done wonders with that box of his. For my own part I am writing on my book and will soon need your assistance again with some details from you both.

How are you both doing? How is your bones Pippin? I know Merry will take good care of you. Cousin Esmie wrote me and told you had a cold but I trust to hope that I would have heard if it was serious. Merry, how are you holding up? Do try to not worry too much, will you? I know it's fruitless to tell you not to worry but please try anyway.

I hope to hear from the both of you soon!

Cousin Frodo”

Pippin sat listening to Merry’s reading in silence, his brow furrowed in thought. “Something’s not right,” Pippin said as soon as Merry finished reading. "We should go see him at once. I don't like the tone in his letter, even if he does accuse us of getting in trouble.” Pippin laughed a hollow laugh before he sobered again. “Merry, I don't think he's doing very well and he's not as good at hiding it as he used to be."

Merry nodded and his face became determined. "You are right. Frodo was never good at hiding his secrets, or else we would never have managed so well with the conspiracy, but he's always been good at hiding his feelings if he wanted too. He's lonely. Sam's busy with the preparation of Bag End and Rosie now that he's spread those seeds and grains from the Lady's box around and the Cottons are busy with their farming. Frodo needs us, Pip. We’d better get a move on."

As they prepared to leave another knock was heard on the front door and this time the knocker didn’t wait for them to open but came into the house in a rush and out of breath. "Merry! Pippin! Come quick. There's been an accident. It's Aunt Esmie!"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List