Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Don't Panic!  by Boz4PM

Chapter 24 - “...Auf Wiedersehen, Adieu!”


Penny was not entirely sure she had done the right thing. She also felt she had had little choice, though. She trusted Halbarad, trusted he would not do anything or say anything to prevent it happening. He would understand the importance of that. She would not have even considered telling him were that not the case. Penny even wondered if, being a warrior, one who looked death in the face on a regular basis, such knowledge would not be so shocking, perhaps, as it was to her. Death was not the rarefied thing it was for Penny where it was the ‘non-issue’: never spoken about, never referred to. She had never seen a dead body. She did not know anyone who had. Here death was a part of life.

The most important point was that Halbarad would not be returning before the Fellowship left. His farewell with Aragorn alone made that patently obvious. If there had been any danger of his coming back to Rivendell before they left then she would not have told him. It would have broken her heart to do it, but she would not have said a word.

She wondered if Halbarad realised that. She suspected he probably did.

After lunch Gandalf took her gently by the arm and steered her into a lonely corridor. “Well, my dear, did you tell him?”

She looked at him, not sure she understood him. “Told who, Mithrandir?”

He smiled softly. “Halbarad. About Boromir. The real reason you have been avoiding him.”

Penny felt herself colouring slightly. While she had suspected Gandalf had partially guessed the reason behind her behaviour, it had never been openly discussed. He had certainly never mentioned the fact that it was anything other than what she had said to Elrond, Erestor, Legolas and himself that day.

He could see her discomfort. “Do not fear, Pen-ii, I would not ask you for the real reason, but you must have known I knew you were lying that time in Elrond’s study. Not that I blame you. You were left little choice but to agree to Legolas’s presumption.”

She nodded, still unsure of what to say.

“So then I take you told Halbarad?”

“In part, yes, but only in part.” She looked at him, worried now, wondering if he would disapprove. “I didn’t feel I had much choice, but you have to believe me I wouldn’t have done it if I thought there was any danger of him returning here before they leave. Even if he did I don’t think he would say anything to anyone about it or do anything. I hope I’ve judged his character well enough. I didn’t tell him everything or any more than I had to. Please don’t be angry with me, Gandalf.”

He sighed, “Ai, Pen-ii, my child. I am not angry. I well understand why you did so. It was why I had Elrond and Aragorn accompany me to the halls and give you some privacy: I had an inkling of what you might feel forced to do. And no, Halbarad will not return before they leave nor would he do anything, I do not think, in response to whatever it is you have told him. Just like the others who know of your situation, he understands the importance of not acting upon anything you may know or reveal even by accident...”

Penny interrupted him, “But I haven’t, Mithrandir! This is the first time, I promise! Only once or twice with you, perhaps, and none of those were too serious I do not think. You must believe me...”

He held up his hand. “Please, Pen-ii, you misunderstand me. I did not say you had let anything slip. I merely meant that, even if you did, none of those whom you might mention anything to would act upon it, no matter how great the temptation. They understand that the potential victory we may gain hangs on too thin a thread for anything to be changed without potentially dire consequences. They did not need me to tell them that. Yes, you have judged Halbarad right. Even so, Pen-ii, you must be careful, always, what you say and to whom. I know you do not need me to tell you that.”

“I know, Mithrandir. Le hannon. It means a lot to me that you understand and aren’t upset with me.”

He laughed softly. “Ah, my child. You carry a great burden. One that many could not cope with. You have done admirably well, do you not realise that? It has been noted and commented on. Many would not be able to help themselves and would simply talk and talk. At least you understand the importance of your silence.”

Penny flushed slightly, unsure of what to say or how to take this. She wondered who had said this about her. She wanted to feel pleased, honoured, but felt she really did not deserve it. She was only doing what had to be done. Not only that, it was taking all her willpower to do it.

Two days after Halbarad left, Elladan and Elrohir finally returned. When Penny saw them at supper that day she knew that it would not be long now.

She decided to take the opportunity to make the most of Gandalf while he was still around. She was worried the ‘transmission’ of thoughts might be tiring for him, and did not want to over tax him, but at the same time it was going to be some time before her Sindarin was even vaguely reasonable enough for her to conduct a decent conversation. She spoke to him about it, explaining she would like to learn a little from various people before he went. He reassured her that, while it was tiring if prolonged, she was welcome to make use of his ability to communicate and translate for her while he was still here. She insisted that he tell her if he began to tire or needed to be elsewhere and he assured her he would.

So in the next few days she, accompanied by Gandalf, listened to Arwen and Erestor describe Lothlorien, got Aragorn to speak to her a little of his travels in the south and his time in both Rohan and Gondor, as well as Elrond to tell her something of Gil-galad.

One of the most extraordinary hours was with Glorfindel who Penny found ambling along in a corridor one day. She managed to convey that she wanted to talk to him but needed to find Mithrandir first. Fortunately Gandalf was in a nearby antechamber chattering with Merry, Frodo and various elves.

“Mithrandir are you busy? If not, would you mind asking Glorfindel if he’s busy, and could I talk with him for a little bit?”

The question asked, Glorfindel made it clear he was free till dinner, which would be in an hour or so. He turned to Penny, a questioning smile on his lips, wondering what all this was about.

“Glorfindel, would you mind telling me a little about Gondolin?”

It was a simple request, one which Glorfindel had not been asked in a very long time. It pleased him enormously that he would be able to relate something so easily and yet give Penny such obvious delight.

He led her out into the corridor, down a few passageways, until they came to a large mural opposite which was a bench. It was of Gondolin.

“This is the best picture in Imladris of Gondolin, Pen-ii. The most accurate. Painted by Celebrimbor himself.”

Penny’s chin fell on the floor. “Celebrimbor!” She was in awe.

Then Glorfindel proceeded to point out buildings to her within the city’s walls: Turgon’s tower, the Hall of the Gods, the Halls of Marriage, Tuor’s house and much more. Penny had tears in her eyes as he spoke with obvious passion and delight about ceremonies, feasts and daily life. He spoke movingly of Ecthelion, Tuor and Turgon, of the city’s beauty and that of its elves.

“It was a great loss.” It was all she could think of to say and it seemed woefully inadequate.

Glorfindel nodded, his eyes suddenly wet with tears. “Yes indeed, Pen-ii.”

Later that evening, in one of the smaller antechambers, Penny found herself sitting with Gandalf and Elrond. Arwen, Aragorn and Elladan were to one side, chattering and laughing. Glorfindel and Erestor were deep in conversation with Legolas. Boromir, Elrohir, Frodo and Gloín were crowded round the fire listening as Boromir related some tale of battle and heroic deeds from the south.

Gandalf was telling Penny of places he had visited, things he had seen, with Elrond adding comments now and then. Elrohir moved over to join Legolas, since Boromir, Frodo and Gloín had left to go the Hall of Fire and find the rest of the hobbits and dwarves.

Penny took the opportunity of a pause in Gandalf’s descriptions to say quietly, “Gandalf?”

He raised an eyebrow at her.

“How did I get here? Do you have any idea?”

There was a silence. Elrond exchanged a surprised glance with Gandalf as her question was translated.

“It’s just it worries me, you know. I try not to think about it too much, really, because it’s kind of scarey to think about.” She could feel her voice cracking, was vaguely aware that conversation in the room had quietened as Gandalf had translated. Arwen and Elladan, standing close by, had seen the expression on their father’s face. In turn, Erestor noticed them fall silent and had looked to see the cause. Then, one by one, those with him quietened and also turned to see what was going on.

“I don’t know how I got here. I... I could just as easily disappear in an instant too, couldn’t I?” Gandalf translated, but before he had even finished she continued, “Alternatively I could be stuck here, couldn’t I? I might... I might never go home.”

She looked at Gandalf desperately. He was the only one who might be able to give her any answer, any clue as to what had happened to her. There was silence in the room as Gandalf relayed her words to Elrond, all eyes turned to her now, though she did not notice it.

“I cannot answer you, Pen-ii. You are a mystery to me, to all of us. If I knew I would tell you, would have already done so.”

Penny nodded, a tear rolling down her cheek. “Thing is, Mithrandir...” Her voice fell to a near whisper, “I’m not sure I want to go home. There is little for me there. Here... here I find I’m more free to be myself than I’ve ever been in my life. I don’t know if that makes any sense to you at all.” She could not look at him, struggling to stop the tears from falling. “But how can I settle here, how can I make a life for myself if I know that, at any moment, I might suddenly find myself back in London, back in my flat, with umpteen messages on my answer-phone from mum wondering where the hell I’ve been all this time?”

Gandalf was a little baffled by this last bit and looked bemused. Penny smiled sadly, “Oh, you know mothers. Always fussing. ‘When are you going to meet a nice man, Penny?’ ‘When am I going to have grandkids, Penny?’ ‘Why don’t you get out more, Penny?’” She sighed as another tear brimmed over onto her cheek. “She means well, but she drives me crazy.”

“Do you not miss her?” He asked it very gently, not wishing to distress her.

Penny felt the lump in her throat. She could not speak, but nodded and burst into tears.

Arwen, laying a hand on Aragorn’s arm as she stood, came over to her, crouching beside her and holding her as she sobbed. The faces in the room were filled with a sadness and an empathy for Penny’s fate. There was nothing they could do for her, nor could they begin to imagine what this must be like for her: to live on a knife edge, never knowing if you were here for good, or if not, when you might suddenly be pulled out of it all. Her utter loneliness and alone-ness struck them very forcefully in that moment. A few had tears in their eyes.

A day or two later, when Anduril was finished, Aragorn showed it to Penny since he knew now that she had an interest. He beckoned her into an antechamber as she walked past the open door one evening. Gandalf was there, with Elrond, Elrohir and Erestor, all of them sharing a post-dinner flagon of wine.

She dared not bring her hand anywhere near it, not after her experience with Halbarad’s sword, but she admired it as closely as she dared as he pulled it from the scabbard hanging from his belt and laid it on the table for her to see.

It gleamed in the torchlight. She could see the pattern within the blade of the runes and, in their centre, the seven stars between sun and moon. She felt a lump in her throat.

She looked at Aragorn. “Can I ask you to take it to the window, into the moonlight?” Aragorn looked bemused but followed her request.

As she followed and watched she could see the gleam in the blade change: it did indeed gleam with a cold light, almost as if from within. “This is so amazing,” she murmured.

“What is it, Pen-ii?” Gandalf was asking.

She turned to him. “It was said that in the light of the sun it gleamed red and it gleamed cold in the moon: Anduril, the reforged blade of Narsil.”

Aragorn gasped. “I can never get used to this. I only publicly named it ‘Anduril’ this very afternoon.” He shook his head, smiling gently. “Pen- ii, you are strange indeed.”

“When do you leave?”

Her question took them all a little by surprise.

“Well,” she continued, “Elladan and Elrohir arrived a few days ago, didn’t they? They are the last of the scouts. They came over the Misty Moutains and found nothing, isn’t that so?”

Elrohir, Elrond, Erestor and Aragorn exchanged a look as Gandalf translated.

“You know, it doesn’t matter how many times it happens, I still can not get used to it.” Erestor was shaking his head with an expression of bewilderment and astonishment.

“Just out of interest, Pen-ii, what do you know of what the scouts found?” Elrond’s voice was calm as he spoke, his eyes full of quiet curiosity.

“Eight dead horses and a cloak.”

There was nothing else they could do but laugh softly at her accurate response. It was so bizarre and utterly strange.

“And what do you say happened to the Nazgul?”

“What do you say, Lord Elrond?”

Elrond smiled and nodded, “Well answered, Pen-ii. Well, after much discussion we say they have fled to Mordor, without raiment or steeds. I will not ask you to confirm or deny that, though I do not doubt you could tell me if we are correct. In answer to your question: they leave in four days.”

She nodded, feeling her throat tighten very suddenly. They could see the tears in her eyes. “Then you have chosen the last two, haven’t you?”

Elrond nodded but said nothing.

Penny realised they were waiting for her to tell them herself. “Razanur and Kalimac.” She did not give them time to answer her. “If you will excuse me,” she muttered hoarsely, bowing a little and leaving the room.

Aragorn had moved to follow her but Gandalf held him back. “Leave her. We know this is important work we do. So does she. It begins. It all begins as of four days from now and everything then hangs in the balance and by a mere thread. She is as aware of this as we are. Leave her to her thoughts. We have much to think on ourselves.”

She found one of her favourite spots in the gardens: a small clearing with a fountain in its middle and benches and flowerbeds (now bereft of flowers in late December) round about it. She let herself weep freely for once. Better to get it out in private than be going off on one in public.

Wow. She had known it was coming, that it would be soon, but even so.

She would miss them all, the hobbits especially, and Gandalf. He had been her lifeline. She would be utterly bereft in terms of communication without him.

She could not really take in the sheer enormity of what lay before them. She knew that within a matter of a month they would have faced one of the greatest evils in Middle-earth after Sauron himself and Gandalf would be dead. Her brain just refused to process it. Balrogs existed. There was one, living and breathing, and under the mountains she could see all round her right now.

Things like that she still could not accept. She would not really accept orcs till she met one face to face, she knew. She also sincerely hoped she would never be in that position.

It was still unbelievable: that Mordor was REAL, that Saruman and Uruk-hai were REAL, that Sauron was...

No, she knew he was real. She remembered once more that terror she had felt, if only briefly, when Gandalf had mentioned him to her the day the scouts had left.

Even as she remembered it, it hit home: how serious and huge this was. This was no game, no story, no fantasy. People’s lives were at stake. It was a case of fight or be consumed by something so horrific, so terrifying that you could not even imagine it in your worst nightmare. The courage of the Nine Walkers struck her in that moment also. They had pledged to walk straight into the centre, the source of that horror.

Her brain reeled.

Since it was generally known in Imladris that the nine were leaving, though perhaps not all knew the exact nature of their mission (though it was obviously very serious indeed given who would be accompanying the hobbits), it was easy enough for Penny to join in with the goodbyes.

Tea every afternoon became a near ritual now. Gimli was there every day for it as well as Gandalf, as ever, but now Aragorn, Boromir or even Legolas would make an occasional appearance. Given what Legolas thought of tea it all spoke volumes. Thankfully these last three never all came together on the same day so Penny did not have to deal with being in a room where the only other people there were the entire Fellowship and Bilbo. She really would NOT have been able to cope with that, she did not think.

However there was once, a day or two before the Fellowship were due to leave, when she was walking along a corridor past an open door and heard the sound of metal clanging against metal. Turning her head at the noise she saw, inside the room, Legolas leaning against the wall, his arms folded, one knee bent with his foot against the wall as he watched something that was happening inside the room. He looked up, saw her, smiled and beckoned her to enter.

She caught her breath as she saw Aragorn and Boromir sparring with Merry and Sam. Tables, benches and chairs had been pushed to the sides to make space and Pippin and Frodo were to one side, sat on top of a table, their legs dangling, watching and obviously waiting their turn. Both Aragorn and Boromir had their tunics off and had rolled up the sleeves of their undertunics to the elbow. The hobbits were in leggings and shirts only – their waistcoats and jackets in a pile beside Pippin and Frodo.

Penny could feel her breathing quicken slightly. It was the first time she had really been reminded of their ability as fighters, as warriors. She thought of Boromir’s stand in Osgiliath before he left Gondor to head north; she considered what Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas would achieve just at Helm’s Deep, let alone afterwards.

Penny was not sure she could cope with this. She thought of the wolves they would face only a few days after they had left Rivendell, the orcs in Mordor, even worse on the Pelennor and at the Black Gate. With the skills he was being taught, Merry would stab the Witchking himself.

As she watched the blades clash, thrusts parried, the concentration and effort being shown by the four sparring in the middle of this large room she felt her heart in her throat.

She cast a glance at Legolas. The expression on her face told him he had done the wrong thing inviting her to come and watch. He looked concerned suddenly and straightened up. She came him a quick smile and briskly turned to go out of the door only to near crash straight into Gandalf and Gimli coming in.

For the briefest of moments, then, she was alone with the entire Fellowship.

Something inside her brain screamed at her to run. Instead she smiled as best she could to Gandalf and Gimli, greeting them both, and then walked past them into the corridor.

Gandalf, saying something to Gimli, followed her out, Legolas behind him, and quickly caught her up.

“Pen-ii? Are you quite well?”

She turned to him as he touched her arm, could see Legolas standing beside him looking at her anxiously. She did her best to smile, though they could see she was distressed.

“I’m fine. Really. It’s just I forget sometimes... forget how real it is, forget you are all warriors and trained in fighting. I am not used to it even in my time, let alone here when I know your stories and what you will face. Forgive me, I didn’t mean to worry you. Just a little too much to cope with, that was all. Don’t let me disturb you. Carry on.” Before they could respond she pulled away from them, walked briskly down the corridor and turned a corner.

Gandalf threw a look at Legolas, his eyebrow raised. “What was she doing there, Legolas?”

“My fault, I fear. I realise my mistake now. She was passing, heard the noise and glanced toward it. I caught her eye and beckoned for her to come and see what the noise was about. I did not think it through, Mithrandir, forgive me. I forget she is unused to such things.”

“Not only that, Legolas. We do not know what we face ahead of us but she certainly does. It may be yet that the kuduk will be in dire need of the skills they are learning now. There will be war and battles ahead. Of that I have no doubt. Seeing us, or some of us, practising or even learning fighting skills would only remind her all the more of what we will witness and be party to.” He shook his head, still looking in the direction she had disappeared in. “She should not have seen it, Legolas, but no matter. What’s done is done.” With that the two returned to the sparring practise.

At last the day came. She knew it was today. She had been counting. She wanted to say something, anything, if only to Gandalf, but knew there was nothing she could say without giving something away so in the end she said nothing at all. She could not bear to look at Boromir. She gave up all pretence in that regard.

The hobbits had sensed her sadness at their imminent departure and, looking on her as their ‘fellow stranger in Rivendell’, did their best to try and amuse her. Pippin was busy pulling faces at her all the way through lunch till she could not help herself but start giggling. Pippin beamed, pleased he had got such a response from her.

That afternoon at tea Gandalf translated as Merry said, “You know, Pen-ii, you must look after Bilba when we are gone. He will be glad of the company and we know he will be in good hands with you.”

Bilbo muttered something about not needing looking after and that he had managed perfectly well for many years in Imladris without any help or interference, “thank you very much you cheeky young kuduk.”

For her part Penny blushed. She knew very well Merry was saying it as much to cheer her up and possibly Bilbo. Given Bilbo was entirely surrounded by elves he did not need her in the least. She suspected, rightly, that this was in fact a way of getting Bilbo to look out for her once they were gone, and not the other way round.

She smiled at Merry. “I will do my best, if he will let me, Kali. With the elves of Imladris at his beck and call I hardly think he will have need of me, though.”

Frodo’s eyes twinkled slightly. “True enough, Lady Pen-ii, but Bilba has insisted on taking over from my breakfast Sindarin duties with you.” He grinned as they laughed.

As supper neared and the inevitable departure neared also, Penny could feel her stomach tightening into knots. She could not really eat, just pushed the little food on her plate round and round a few times. Aragorn, Gandalf and Legolas, all sat near her, could see it and exchanged a glance, though they said nothing.

In the Hall of Fire she watched as groups came forward and said their farewells. The Fellowship were dressed and ready for the off: cloaked and booted, their weapons at their sides. She could see the hobbits, Bilbo in particular, were near to tears as they said goodbye to each other. Similarly moving were the fond farewells between Gimli and the dwarves and Legolas and the two Mirkwood elves who had accompanied him.

At first Penny held back, unable to keep the emotions welling within her under control. Then Gandalf, looking up and catching her eye, beckoned her over with a kind smile. She took a deep breath, stepped over to them, and found herself in close proximity to and entirely surrounded by the Fellowship.

Gandalf stood beside Penny as Gimli and then the hobbits took their farewells of her. Gimli was most courteous, as ever, and bowed low. The hobbits, each in turn insisted on kissing her hand. Sam said that he wanted her to look after the cabbages he had planted, while Merry and Pippin simply grinned at her and said they envied her staying here amongst the elves and not to take too much notice of Bilbo.

“He is not nearly as cantankerous and fussy as he seems, Pen-ii, and he has taken to you very well, you know. Do keep him company for afternoon tea every day, won’t you?”

She promised them she would and could not keep the tears from filling her eyes. Dear God, they had no idea what lay ahead of them. She was trying not to think about it, refusing to let it all overwhelm her, but in truth she felt very much like she had done when she had first arrived in Rivendell. The panic, fear and distress was rising with every passing second, though she was doing her best to smother it.

Of the four only Frodo showed some sign of what lay ahead. As he said his farewell to her, insisting that, when next they met, he would expect her to be fluent in Sindarin, she could not help but notice his face seemed a little drawn, his expression a little stiff, and his eyes a little anxious.

She hesitated then murmured, “May Elbereth protect you, Maura.”

He stopped, looking at her for a moment with an intensity that startled her, though it passed as quickly as it had arrived. He smiled.

“Le hannon, Pen-ii.”

As the hobbits moved away she muttered to Gandalf, “I need a little air. I will be in the corridor for a few moments, this is becoming difficult for me.”

“I understand, Pen-ii, but you cannot just yet.” Legolas and Aragorn had turned to her now.

Since the dwarves, hobbits and Boromir were occupied, the four took the opportunity to step to one side a little so they could talk more privately. Both Aragorn and Legolas kissed Penny’s hand and bowed.

“I trust things may be a little easier for you once we have left, Lady Pen- ii,” Legolas was saying quietly.

“Yes and no, Lord Legolas. Yes and no.” He nodded.

Aragorn spoke, “You will be well looked after her, have no fear. Lady Arwen has assured me of it. Lord Elrond himself, also.”

She nodded, “I know, Lord Aragorn, you do not need to tell me. I’ve already been well looked after. Far more than I deserve I feel.”

There was a brief silence till Penny said, “I do not know what to say. I want to say so much. I cannot find the words that would be suitable given what I know lies ahead of you. Nothing I can think of saying won’t give something away. Goheno nin. May Elbereth protect you all, and Eru guide you.”

They smiled then. “That was well said, Pen-ii. That will do. It was more than enough,” Aragorn assured her and the other two agreed.

“I... I will be thinking about you all. Please forgive me...” She suddenly looked at the three of them very earnestly, her voice dipping so it was barely audible. “Goheno nin. Saes. There are many things I would have warned you about, that it has taken all my strength of will to not tell you about. Please don’t think badly of me when things happen that, if I had told you, you might have been able to prevent.”

There was silence for a moment. It was Aragorn who spoke, his voice quiet and serious.

“We understand, Pen-ii. We do not blame you, nor will we.”

“Le hannon, Aragorn.” She barely managed to say it her throat was so tight, her voice so shaky with distress.

Legolas and Aragorn murmured “navaer”, bowed slightly, and left her with Gandalf.

There then came the moment she had dreaded for two months. Boromir. He had made his farewells of most of those in the room, spending longest with the dwarves, perhaps, of all those there to see them off. Now he stepped towards Penny. His face was impassive, his eyes kind and gentle. He kissed her hand and wished her well.

“I hope, perhaps, I might see you in Minas Tirith one day, my lady. It is a fair city and it would please me to be able to show you its beauty.”

Her throat tightened. Her eyes filled. She had to bite her lips to stop them from quivering or a sob escaping them. She nodded dumbly, utterly bereft of speech at the thought that he would, in fact, never see Gondor again.

He smiled, sadly, on seeing the tears in her eyes. He left her, not wishing to distress her more.

She looked at Gandalf, pleading, barely controlling herself, but begging with him that she could leave. He nodded, well understanding what she wanted. He held a wizened hand to her face.

/Ai, my child. It is hard, is it not? You have done well this evening. I know this must be difficult for you. Do not think I do not sense a lot of what you are going through. You have told me much you did not think to tell me at all. But, come, that is of no importance now. What is to be shall be. It is written./

Her tears were falling, slowly and silently, as his voice rumbled in her head. He smiled, sadly but kindly.

/Take care of yourself, Pen-ii. As Aragorn said you will be well looked after and perhaps in no safer place through all this than here in Imladris. I shall see you again. You know it, and so do I. And do not worry, Pen- ii: if we succeed, any loss will have been worth it. They would all tell you this themselves, even were it their own lives that they would lose. Know this and be comforted a little. When you can, when you have the Sindarin, talk to Elrond, tell him what you know. It will help you to share the burden with him./

She nodded, still too distraught to be able to speak.

He spoke openly now. “I must go, Pen-ii. The road is a long one.”

Her voice cracked and trembled as she spoke, “Navaer, Mithrandir.”

“Navaer, Pen-ii.”

Then, as he turned to go, on a sudden impulse, she hugged him; threw her arms about his neck and whispered, “Thank you, Gandalf. Thank you for everything. I don’t know what I would have done without you. Gone mad, I suspect. I shall miss you.”

There were raised eyebrows from those who saw this, not least from Elrond and Aragorn. Only the hobbits ever had the sheer audacity to treat Mithrandir like this.

Gandalf, though, laughed softly and, as Penny pulled away from him, he gently kissed her brow. “You are very welcome, my dear.”

She watched, the tears falling silently still, as, one by one, they left the Hall of Fire and made their way to the main entrance of the halls, Gandalf and Elrond being the last to leave.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List