Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Whispers of the Dragon  by shirebound

WHISPERS OF THE DRAGON

Chapter 11 --- Isildur's Heir


It was an exhausting day for all -- save the sturdy Dwarf. The hobbits, toiling through brush and around and over rocks with their arms full of gear, marveled at the ease with which Gimli carried his boat the entire way with no assistance, while burdened with quite a heavy pack. Legolas remarked to Pippin that he had never seen the Dwarf look so pleased with himself.

The terrain proved to be even rougher and more uneven than Aragorn had described. Finally after many hours and many trips, the boats and gear were carried to the southern landing where everyone collapsed with fatigue. Or almost everyone.

Frodo sat down next to Gimli, and realized that the Dwarf was not even breathing hard.

"That was an amazing display of strength, Gimli. Truly remarkable!"

Gimli's eyes gleamed.  “I have not had much opportunity to show my usefulness to you or this Company 'ere now. It is a small thing, but a satisfying one!"

"Not much opportunity..." Frodo frowned. "Gimli, do you truly believe that? You have been a tireless defender and a loyal friend. I cannot imagine this Company without you. But more than that... I suppose I never told you..."

The Dwarf looked at him, puzzled.

Frodo looked down at the ground, embarrassed. "This journey has been so long, so difficult and frightening. Not at all like I imagined it would be. I grew up listening to Bilbo's stories, you know. About the dragon and the Dwarves... and coming back safe and sound... He sighed. "After we left Rivendell, at night sometimes, when I needed to, I could close my eyes and pretend I was having an adventure just like Bilbo's. I even had two companions he had --- a wizard and a Dwarf. And when Gandalf fell..." Frodo looked at him. "I still had you."

Gimli was very moved. "Master Baggins, I, too, spent years hearing stories of the Grand Adventure from my father and every conceivable cousin!" He chuckled. "They never tired of the tale. We are in the same tale yet, you and I. I did not realize that my presence helped you to---" He stopped, suddenly aware that everyone was listening to them. "In any event," he said gruffly, patting Frodo on the shoulder, "It is good that we have met thus." He abruptly rose and busied himself with sorting out some of the gear.

Frodo's eyes followed Gimli as he bustled about, then took in his companions, some sitting down, some standing and talking quietly. How dear they all were to him.

"We will stay here tonight; we all need rest," said Aragorn. "Tomorrow we should pass the Argonath and reach the falls of Rauros at last, where we will... decide our further course."

Frodo raised his eyes to meet his, then looked away. He didn't notice Boromir gazing at him, as if trying to read his heart and thoughts.

*~*~*~*~*

"What's the Argonath, Strider?" That evening Pippin sat comfortably against Gimli, who seemed not to mind in the least.

"They are the 'stones of the king,' Pippin, statues on each side of the River which denote the northern border of Gondor. Beyond them are a vast lake, then the mighty falls of Rauros. The statues are of my ancestors, Isildur and Anárion, carved more than a thousand years ago. Our noble Dwarf may find the ancient stonemasonry to his liking!"

"We shall see," Gimli smiled.

"Isildur and his brother Anárion were the founders of Gondor and gained great renown," Aragorn continued. "I have never seen the carvings.  Have you, Boromir?"

Boromir shook his head. "I have not; I have heard of them only in tales. Like you, I will welcome the sight."

"Isildur," murmured Frodo. He suddenly shivered as if with a chill.

"Yes, Frodo, the same," said Aragorn.

Aragorn said he would take the first watch, and Frodo volunteered to join him. The camp slowly quieted as the Company tried to sleep.

"Aragorn..." said Frodo softly.

"Yes?"

"At the Council, when Gandalf told us about Isildur and the Ring..."

"What's troubling you, Frodo?"

"Why..." Frodo took a deep breath. "Why didn't you take it? You seem to have no interest in the Ring. It is yours by right, and you could have taken it from me more times than I can count -- yet you have not."

Startled, Aragorn was silent for a long time.

"I once vowed to someone, ‘The Shadow I utterly reject’,” he said slowly.  “Even so, I do not truly know why the One Ring does not tempt me, Frodo. If I were its bearer, it is possible that my strength and will would not be equal to what yours have been." The Ranger's voice grew quiet as he thought of many things. "You carry a heavy burden, and have embarked on a nearly impossible quest. I, too, have learned over many years to endure great burdens, to attempt the impossible. We are much alike, and our destinies seem joined." He shook his head. "The Ring does not belong to me; it does not belong to anyone, save the Dark Lord. You are the Bearer, and I pledged my life and death to you that night in Bree. That is all I know."

"I understand," Frodo whispered. He looked out over the water. The sound of the rapids, now upstream, seemed loud in his ears.

"It was a tiring day, Frodo. Why don't you try to get some sleep? I'm sure Legolas wouldn't mind trading watches with you."

"I will stay with you," Frodo said quietly.

Aragorn put his arm around him. "And I with you."

*~*~*~*~*

Despite the previous sleepless night, Frodo lay awake well after his watch ended, unable to stop his spinning thoughts. Aragorn advised leaving the River above Rauros, striking out either east and then south -- through nearly impassible country until they reached the Black Gate; or west and then south -- to Minas Tirith. The Nazgûl knew they were on the River, so obviously they had to leave it soon.

Boromir is right, Frodo thought, remembering their conversation from days ago. We need supplies, we need rest. But Minas Tirith... a city of Men, so many Men. Gandalf said Men were easily corrupted by the Ring. I fear if we go there we may never leave. Yet the Men I have met have been so kind. Butterbur... Aragorn... Aragorn seems to have no desire for the Ring. Boromir has not tried to take it. Perhaps I worry needlessly?

If I choose the eastern way, will Gimli and Legolas go with us? I've never even asked them, yet I have no doubt they will see this through. I am honored to have such companions. Aragorn will come, although he longs to go to Minas Tirith with Boromir. I know it.

Merry, Pippin. Dear Sam. I cannot bear to take them into further danger. I should go alone. No, that is folly. Surely I cannot do this alone. I do not know the way. I do not have the courage.

Oh Gandalf, how am I to decide this? You never told me; perhaps you didn't know. I always thought you knew everything.

What am I to do?

** TBC **

 

Ainu Laire:  So many book scenes can be filled in with fanfic... give us all long enough, and we’ll fill in as many as we can!  *grins*  I hope the homework’s loosened its grip!

Andrea:  I imagine that Frodo was quite the eligible bachelor.  Ah, the matchmaking that must have been going on behind his back...

Anso the Hobbit:  I’m so happy you like my Merry!  I try to always write him as perceptive and clear-thinking.

aprilkat:  Sam’s first thought is always toward his master’s comfort and safety.  Love him so.

Cuthalion:  It’s so easy to imagine book *or* movie Frodo having to fight off the lasses.  Poor dear...

Dreamflower:  I love Frodo-and-Pippin moments, too.  What a darling pair of lads.

Frodo Baggins:  I just don’t know how to write hobbits any other way than caring, supportive, and being there for one another (and their friends).

Garnet Took:  I can definitely imagine the “conspiracy” (especially between Sam and Merry) continuing long into the Quest, with perhaps even greater intensity.  (And for a truly creative story about what was going on in the Shire after the lads left, you might want to check out Pearl Took’s “When We Dwelt in Fear”.)

French Pony:  Gandalf certainly knew there was some reason the younger hobbits had to accompany Frodo!  His experience with and foresight concerning hobbits were certainly wonderful.

harrowcat:  That trek carrying the boats and gear must have been exhausting.  I just can’t imagine Sam letting Frodo carry anything heavy, after being hit with an arrow and an evil Nazgul presence!

Larner:  I'd love to know exactly what that lembas tasted like.  I imagine all kinds of delicious things...

Linda Hoyland:  Yes, we're coming down to the Frodo-Boromir encounter at Amon Hen at last (in a fairly AU way).  The Fellowship certainly stood "on the edge of a knife" at this time.

lovethosehobbits:  Thank you.  H/C/C, fluff-angst-fluff... I'll never get enough of it!

Pearl Took:  Yes, poor Frodo and his horrible decision.  And Boromir played such an intriguing part in helping him make that decision.

SlightlyTookish:  I just can’t get enough of cousin-y fics.  And there are too few Merry-Sam moments in fanfic.  I tried to write a few into “Reunion in Minas Tirith” and “By Chance or Purpose”... and hopefully more to come.

SurgicalSteel:  I think the cousins must have grown even closer than they originally were during the Quest.  What a wonderful relationship to explore and imagine.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List