Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Whispers of the Dragon  by shirebound

WHISPERS OF THE DRAGON

Chapter 10 --- Cousins and Friends


Morning dawned thinly through the fog, which still drifted about the boats and obscured the eastern shore. Gimli and Legolas had insisted on keeping watch throughout the long night, but the others, huddled in the boats, had slept uneasily and for only short periods at a time. Frodo had been unable to sleep at all.

"Legolas and I will seek out the ancient portage-way. Once we transport the boats and gear, it will be a mile south, perhaps a bit more, until we may take to the River once more." Aragorn shot a concerned glance at Frodo, who still seemed to be in some pain and was looking weary from his sleepless night. The Ranger doubted Frodo would be able to carry anything, and he still wished Pippin would take it easy, but first the path needed to be found. They would decide later how everything could be accomplished.

"I do not wish us to split up," Aragorn continued, "but there is no choice. If Legolas and I have not returned by tomorrow morning, you must choose your course and leave here as best you can. Do not attempt the rapids, even in daylight. I assume that Gollum led the Orcs to us, so at least one person should stay on watch at all times. Hopefully this side of the River is still safe." He caught Frodo's eye and they looked at each other for a long moment, then Aragorn and Legolas walked away and disappeared into the fog.

Frodo stood up and stepped slowly onto the shore. He tried to hide the fact that his shoulder still felt somewhat stiff, but Sam and Merry were at his side in an instant.

"Frodo, you haven't had any sleep," said Merry, guiding his cousin over to a dry patch of soft grass. "Rest while you can. You don't have to be so brave all the time, you know; it's all right to say 'ouch' once in a while!"

Frodo laughed, and let himself be lowered to the ground. Pippin promptly came over and sat next to him -- practically on top of him, actually.

"Your bruise is almost gone, Pip," Frodo said. "How are you feeling? You don't have to be so brave all the time either, you know."

"I don't feel brave at all, Frodo. I wish I was."

"Pippin," Frodo said softly, "you, Merry, and Sam are about the bravest hobbits who ever lived. Just think back to everything we've been through." He looked at Pippin closely, who seemed to be amazed by what he was hearing. "Have I forgotten to tell you that I’m proud of you? Oh Pip," he murmured, putting his arms around his young cousin.

Pippin sighed and nestled into Frodo's arms. Merry thought he was growing up, and Frodo was proud of him.

"Mr. Frodo," Sam said, "what will we do if Strider and Legolas, well... don't come back?"

"I hope we don't have to find out," said Frodo with a frown. "We can't cross to the eastern shore -- not yet, anyway. We can't take the boats through the rapids, and we can't go back. But none of that matters. We couldn't abandon them, Sam. We'd have to follow them and try to find out what happened -- just leave the boats here, carry what we can, and find them."

"Frodo," Merry reminded him, "we're a lot closer to Isengard now than we were before."

"We'd just have to be ---" Frodo suddenly smiled and looked down at Pippin, who had fallen asleep in his lap. "I wish I could do that," he said with a yawn. "I think Pip could sleep hanging upside down from a tree."

"He didn't answer your question, you know," said Merry. "About how he was feeling. He still has a little recovering to do.  And so do you. Lie down and try to sleep. We may have a lot to do later."

"Yes sir," Frodo smiled. He lay down in the grass, taking Pippin with him, and managed to find a comfortable position. In a few minutes, Merry and Sam were gratified to see that he had fallen fast asleep, Pippin still curled in his arms. Sam tucked a blanket around them both.

*~*~*~*~*

Pippin woke to find himself under a blanket in Frodo's arms.

"You had a good sleep," Frodo said with a smile. "You must have been dreaming of something nice."

"I was," Pippin yawned. "Something about a birthday party..."

Frodo laughed. "Are you trying to remind me that you turn 29 soon? I don't know where we'll be, Pip, but we'll figure out some way to celebrate. I liked being 29," he mused. "Such fun, not a care in the world..."

"Frodo, do you think much about home?"

"I certainly do," Frodo said. "The thought of our beautiful Shire safe and sound... sometimes that's all I think about."

"I wonder where they all think we are?"

"Well..." Frodo thought about it. "Gandalf said at the Council that he found the Crickhollow house broken into and empty, so Fatty most likely escaped the wraiths. Word may have gotten back from Bree that we left there with a Ranger, but that's probably the last anyone heard of us. Elrond certainly wouldn't have risked sending a message back to the Shire about us." He sighed. "They all might think we're dead, Pip, killed by wild beasts or lost in the Wild. No one is likely to miss me I suppose, but your family, and Sam's, and Merry's, must have sent out search parties and such." He pulled Pippin closer. "We'll just have to get back home safely and astound them all, won't we?"

"We will, I know we will."

"Of course, with Bag End sold and Crickhollow ransacked, I might have to come live with you. Think your sisters would mind?"

Pippin smiled. "I can't think of anything they'd like better, Frodo. You'll have to fight them off with Sting." He sat up and looked around. It appeared to be around noon. Merry and Gimli were keeping watch and Boromir was stretched out nearby, asleep. Sam was standing near one of the boats, apparently having just filled Frodo's pack with something fairly bulky. He heard what they were talking about and came over to them.

"It's hardly the place for a Baggins, sir, but you'd be welcome at Number 3 Bagshot Row." Sam grinned. "Of course you'd have to fight my sisters off with Sting as well!"

Frodo laughed delightedly. "I suspect I'm a bit old for any of them, but it's nice to know I won't be out in the cold!"

"Now that Frodo's living arrangements are taken care of, we should have no more worries on this journey!" Legolas appeared out of the fog behind them, chuckling as he walked past.

Frodo turned red, aiming a kick at Pippin who scuttled out of the way with ease.

"You started it, Frodo!" Pippin grinned.

Aragorn came past, pleased to see that Pippin seemed back to his old self. He noted that Frodo slightly favored his left arm as he rose to his feet.

Waking Boromir, Aragorn spoke to the group.

"We found the portage-way; it lies somewhat back from the River at this point. The terrain is rather rough before we can reach it, and may make for a wearying day. It is then somewhat more than a mile south to where the rapids end and we can take to the boats once more."

As one, the Company unloaded the boats. Sam brought Frodo over to the pack he had filled for him.

"Here, sir."

Frodo frowned at the bulky pack. "Sam, I don't think------" He lifted it and was surprised at how light it was. "Sam?"

"It's the lembas. Someone has to carry it, after all, and I don't think you should manage anything heavy just yet." Sam looked around at the piles of gear. "We will need several trips, I would think... You can carry the coils of that Elven rope next, if you like. They're wonderfully light." He looked at his master defiantly, a half-dozen arguments ready on his tongue should there be any protest. To his surprise, Frodo just shook his head and smiled.

"Thank you, dear Sam," Frodo said softly. "What would I ever do without you?"

Aragorn nodded approvingly at Sam, then turned to Frodo.

"At least there won't be any danger of Pippin getting lost in the fog; I doubt he'll let that lembas out of his sight!"

*~*~*~*~*

While everyone was busy sorting out the gear, Sam drew Merry apart from the others. They stood side by side at the River's edge, peering into the gloom.

"He'll need to decide soon. What do you think?"

"Boromir says it's impossible," Merry replied quietly, "but Gandalf thought we could do it. I cannot imagine he would have sent Frodo off with the Ring if there was no hope at all. I don't know, Sam." He closed his eyes, remembering. "The maps with Mordor in them were pretty sparse. Maybe whoever made them didn't go too far in, or didn’t get a good look around.  We won’t know what’s over there until we see for ourselves."

"There's wraiths over there," said Sam. "And that Gollum, and Orcs, and who knows what else. But Mr. Frodo’s likely to make a run for it anyway, try to go alone."

"I know. But he can't jump over the River. As long as he doesn't get his hands on one of the boats, I don't think he can get away from us."

"The Ring, though... He could put it on and disappear."

"He wouldn't do that."

"He's scared, Mr. Merry. Scared to go alone and scared to take any of us with him. He was so shaken up when Pippin was hurt, he can't bear to think of anything else happening to one of us. He'll want to go alone, just like back in the Shire." Sam sighed. "I'm scared, too."

"So am I."                                                       

"We can't let him see it," Sam said. He turned to look at Frodo.

"He won't," said Merry, his eyes resting on Pippin.

** TBC **

Ainu Laire:  I totally agree that the wraiths/orcs/arrows flying event on the River would have made a great movie scene.  I hope you’re feeling better now, dear Suvi!

Andrea:  Aragorn is a wonderfully practical Ranger, isn’t he?  And Frodo’s ability to sense when the Ringwraiths were present does turn out to be useful (although painful).  This concept reappears in an upcoming chapter.

aprilkat:  Even back in 2002, I was trying to find explanations and reasons for certain events in the Professor’s story.  “Spellbound” has been my most detailed attempt, but this story was my first.  Thank you so much for your lovely words.

Ariel:  In the first chapter of my first fic – “The Breaking Point” – I gave Frodo a refreshing temper tantrum.  Even then (being me), it was a little too sweet, but I try to give him real emotions... occasionally!  :D

Baggins Babe:  Poor Frodo, to be constantly hunted.  What a traumatic year for our brave one.  Frodo is portrayed as “impossibly saintly” quite often (and quite often by me!), but he definitely has a steely will and resolute nature.  And gosh yes, I see Gimli as an old softy underneath all that hair and armor – especially when it comes to hobbits.

Cuthalion:  I think it must have been quite a shock to Frodo to discover that his Morgul wound would “never really heal”.  I’m glad you liked Aragorn’s insights and comforting words.

Dreamflower:  I’ve had the experience of trusting/believing that something has healed only to find that i hasn’t, so I think Frodo would be quite confused and angry to discover that his wound hadn’t fully healed... and might never be.

French Pony:  Thank you so much.  I think I’ve only written about the Ringwraiths twice – in “By Chance or Purpose” and this story.  They’re quite nasssty.

Frodo Baggins:  Thank you, Frodo!  I'm glad you're enjoying this.

Garnet Took:  How lucky we are to have a chance to fill in all of the Professor’s “missing scenes”, each in our own way.

harrowcat:  Poor Boromir is definitely on a downward slide during the River voyage.  The closer he got to Gondor, the more urgent the need to bring the Ring to his City.

Larner:  The Professor really showed us the importance of Bilbo giving Frodo such precious gifts -- Sting and the mithril coat -- all Bilbo had left to give his lad, really.  It would have been a very different Tale without them.

layne67:  Thank you, Layne!  I hope you enjoy the whole story.

Linda Hoyland:  I see the “arrow incident” as very important to what happens afterward.  Frodo learns about his wound, and Boromir realizes the new and dangerous threat to his City.

Lindelea:  Thank you so much.  How I love filling in these LOTR “gaps” that beckon so invitingly.

lovethosehobbits:  There is a bit of angst in this tale, isn't there?  (Especially the final chapter... eeeee).  I generally see-saw back and forth between mini-angst and fluffity fluff.  :D

Pearl Took:  This River journey truly was a lot for everyone to deal with... it's such a challenge to fill in the gaps (in my own way), and try to imagine more details for these ten days.

SlightlyTookish:  I really enjoy writing Gimli-hobbit scenes; there will be at least one more before the end of the story, and I’ll try to work some into my next story.

SurgicalSteel:  Gimli was so distraught when he thought Pippin had died beneath the troll (and so delighted to discover the hobbits alive at Isengard), I wanted to bring out some of their prior friendship and bonding. 

Tigger:  Sorry I set a new bunny loose on you!  I hope we never, ever run out of LOTR fic ideas.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List