Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Whispers of the Dragon  by shirebound

WHISPERS OF THE DRAGON

Chapter 12 --- Riddles in the Dark


Sam opened his eyes to a gray sky and chill in the air. The morning smelled of rain to come. He rolled over and automatically checked to see that Frodo, sleeping next to him, was all right, then got to his feet. Gimli had a fire going, and by the time everyone was awake Sam had breakfast ready.

Aragorn noticed Pippin scanning the skies uneasily, and he addressed the Company.

"Pippin has the right idea; we need to stay alert. Most likely there was only one wraith about, or Frodo would have continued to sense them. I suspect we can risk one more day on the River."

Pippin looked at Frodo. "Can you really feel the wraiths when they're near?"

Frodo sighed. "Apparently so."

Pippin thought about that. "You're like Sting, then, aren't you? You can sense the wraiths, and it can sense the Orcs." He grinned. "You're very useful, cousin Frodo!"

Frodo laughed and gave Pippin a hug. "The things you think about, Pip! But if you don't mind, I think I'd prefer being a little less useful in that way!"

The boats were loaded quickly, then they set out. The current was swift, and the morning was uneventful save for a few hours of cold, uncomfortable rain. In the afternoon, the sun broke though the clouds and the air warmed a bit.

Legolas had been looking ahead for some time, and he gazed in wonder as two massive statues came into view.

"Aragorn," Frodo whispered in awe.

As the River narrowed to pass between the giant carvings, the current became swifter and the boats less easy to steer.

"Keep to the center!" Aragorn shouted.  "Sam, this is one place you should definitely hold on."

Sam needed no urging, as the boats seemed to be fairly flying down the River.

"Which one is... is..." Frodo could hardly speak.

"Isildur is to the right," Aragorn said quietly. "This is a sight I have long wished to see." He turned to look at Boromir, sitting with his head bowed as the boats passed under the giant forms.

"We must stop!" Gimli bellowed fiercely. "Aragorn, I would see this more closely! The number of craftsmen it must have taken to accomplish this... to endure for more than a thousand years... Aragorn!" But even as he spoke, the current drove them even faster. There was no way to even slow down.

Pippin turned to look behind as they passed the Gates. Never had he imagined anything so massively high; not even Caradhras, which had seemed as high as the clouds, had evoked in him such awe, such utter amazement. He felt Merry's arm pull him close as they sat together and watched the sentinals of Gondor slowly diminish behind them.

I have returned at last, Boromir thought.  This is the land over which my family is guardian. Gondor at last. So close now, so close. Yet to return home empty-handed after all these many months, with nothing... nothing.  He grew increasingly grim, and without warning, was assailed with an idea so alien to him, so repugnant, that he felt fairly ill. Black thoughts... If Frodo chooses not to come to Minas Tirith... might he not be persuaded to exchange the Ring for something he values more? No, these thoughts cannot be mine. Yet how can Frodo not willingly trade something which has brought him such anguish in return for something he loves. Someone he loves. He looked down at the little one at his feet. Pippin perhaps... no, do not think it... or Sam... no, no...

Boromir closed his eyes and shuddered. What has come upon me? I do not recognize myself. He took a deep breath, then another.

The boats shot through the narrow pass into what appeared to be a huge, calm lake. Frodo sighed. "That was amazing. I---" The words died on his lips as he looked at Aragorn, who appeared to have undergone a transformation. So kingly he appeared, so confident and sparkling with life and nobility, it took Frodo's breath away. It was as if a disguise had fallen from the Ranger and revealed a hidden majesty.

"What's that?" Sam asked, pointing ahead. In the distance could be seen three peaks, one seemingly in the very center of the River itself.

"That is where we are going, Sam," said Aragorn. "Tol Brandir, with Amon Lhaw and Amon Hen on each side. By nightfall we should reach them; it is said that there is, or was, a fair place to camp on the western shore."

They let the current, still swift, carry them down the center of the lake as they ate and rested a little. After some hours the current slowed, and they took to their paddles, keeping as close to the western side of the River as possible.

Boromir pulled himself away from his darkening thoughts. "Pippin, is your headache returning?" he asked.

Pippin frowned. "No, why do you ask?"

"You have not uttered a word in so long, I could only assume you were feeling unwell!"

"It was that Argonath, those statues," said Pippin. "I've never felt so, well... small."

"Ah yes. I too felt the eyes of the ancient ones upon me." Boromir smiled at the hobbit. "Much craft remains in Gondor from ages past. I think you will find a great many things in Minas Tirith of interest."

"Perhaps when we return we can visit you, Boromir," said Merry. "I know that Frodo will want to get on with things and get rid of the Ring, but once it's destroyed, maybe we can come to Gondor and..."

Boromir was no longer listening, no longer smiling. "...get on with things and get rid of the Ring..." He shook his head as Merry's words rang in his ears and his thoughts spiraled downward once more. To get rid of it made no sense. To walk into Mordor with it made even less sense. Why had he even come? To what purpose, then, the voice in his dream, the long search for Imladris? Why had he been directed to search for the Sword That Was Broken, Isildur's Bane, the Halfling, if not to bring them to Minas Tirith?

What use has any of it been?

*~*~*~*~*

Just as the sun began to set, Aragorn led them to a landing place along a wide, green lawn sheltered by trees. They could see trails leading off into the trees in many directions, one of them winding gently up a long, high slope. They made camp at the foot of the slope, the hobbits sighing with relief at the feel of cool, soft grass under their feet.

After the evening meal the Company sat about, talking quietly. Merry began to grow increasingly concerned about Frodo, who had sunk into a brooding silence. Something had to be done. He walked over to Aragorn and held a brief, whispered conversation with him. With a smile, the Ranger nodded to Merry and walked away from the group. After a few minutes, he returned.

"Say there, Pippin," Merry said, sitting down next to his cousin. "I have a riddle for you."

Pippin perked up immediately, a competitive gleam in his eye.

"And you two," said Merry sternly, pointing to Frodo and Sam, "have to keep quiet. This is for Pip."

Frodo seemed suddenly more aware of where he was and what was going on. He and Sam exchanged an amused look, then nodded.

"How long do I get to solve it?" Pippin asked.

"I don't know," said Merry thoughtfully. "Frodo, how long did Gollum give Bilbo to solve all those riddles he asked him?"

Frodo laughed. "I haven't a clue. A couple of minutes, maybe? Any longer than that, and Gollum would have gotten impatient and eaten him."

Pippin looked a bit nervous at the thought, and couldn't help looking behind him into the darkness. Gollum wasn't just something out of a story anymore. He could be anywhere.

"Don't worry, Pip." Frodo patted his knee encouragingly. "He's not after you!"

"Ready?"

Pippin nodded.

"All right, then." Merry took a deep breath.

”Born among trees, cradled in leaves
Sheltered by unlikely pair
Smooth to touch, color fair
Travels far, staying still,
Strengthens limbs, strengthens will”

Pippin stared at him, then closed his eyes to concentrate. Frodo had opened his mouth to say something when Merry wagged a finger at him.

"Not a word out of you, Frodo Baggins."

Aragorn was grateful beyond words to Merry. Frodo had a decision to make in the morning that could affect the fate of Middle-earth itself. Even a few minutes of distraction from such a heavy burden was a true gift.

They all waited.

"Pip, if you're going to take this long, I don't think---"

"Lembas!" Pippin suddenly shoved Merry onto his back and sat on him in delight. "Lembas, Merry!"

All the hobbits were laughing when Aragorn walked over to Pippin with a smile and knelt down. "Very good, Pippin. You deserve a reward for that." With that, he handed him a wafer of lembas. Pippin gasped in amazement.

"And one for you, Merry," Aragorn said with an approving smile, handing Merry a leaf-wrapped wafer also. "Well done."

"Thank you," whispered Merry.

Legolas and Gimli had been exchanging puzzled looks.

"Do you have any idea what's going on?" the Elf asked.

"As Master Baggins said, 'not a clue'," Gimli replied, shaking his head, "although Bilbo spoke of these 'riddles' at the Council. I suppose we are the 'unlikely pair'?"

Legolas smiled, nodding his head in Frodo's direction. "It is good to hear laughter again, is it not?"

Gimli looked thoughtful. "Indeed, my friend, I had begun to hunger for the sound." He looked fondly at Sam and Frodo, now deeply immersed in a lively conversation about riddles, then realized that Merry was sitting a bit apart, smiling at Frodo, not participating in the conversation. "He arranged this on purpose," Gimli said admiringly.

Legolas followed his gaze and nodded slowly. "I believe he did."

Pippin was beginning to nibble at a corner of the waybread, in preparation for devouring it fully, when he noticed that Merry hadn't touched his.

"Aren't you going to eat it, Mer? You can give it to me, you know!"

Merry pulled his young cousin aside a little and looked at him seriously.

"I've been thinking about tomorrow, Pip. We may be starting off east, you know."

Pippin nodded.

"Boromir says there's very little over there. Hardly any trees or water or animals. There may not be much of anything to hunt... except for us." Merry managed a small smile. "Food may be awfully hard to come by after awhile. It was wonderful of Strider to give us these, but I think maybe... maybe we should save them? Maybe we should really start thinking about what's ahead, and... well..." He stopped. It was all becoming too real.

Pippin sat quietly for a few moments, then slowly wrapped the waybread back in its mallorn leaf and slipped it into his pocket.

"I know this is hard, Pip. Frodo's not the only one who's proud of you."

Pippin sighed. "Maybe we can eat them tomorrow?"

Merry gave him a hug.

"We’ll talk about it tomorrow."

** TBC **

"Lembas!" whispered Pippin.  "Lembas: I've got some.  Have you?  I don't think they've taken anything but our swords."
"Yes, I had a packet in my pocket," answered Merry, "but it must be battered to crumbs."
The Two Towers

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Andrea:  I really enjoyed writing Frodo-Gimli dialogue.  I spent a chapter on both of them in “Light Out of Darkness”, and really should try to do so more often.  They share the inheritance of a common “tale” in Bilbo’s Adventure.

Anso the Hobbit:  I'm fascinated by the way the Professor continued Bilbo's tale so beautifully into Frodo's tale, and then brings back Bilbo at the end of ROTK to wrap everything up.  Amazing.

aprilkat:  I write Gimli the way I imagine Dwarf parents to be -- gruff and stern on the outside, but completely wrapped around their young ones' little fingers.

Cuthalion:  That moment in FOTR between Aragorn and Frodo is one of my favorite scenes in the movie.  Why didn’t the Ring corrupt Aragorn?  Numenorean blood?  His sworn oath?  Something more?  I love speculating about things like that.

Dreamflower:  I can’t remember ever reading in a fic what Aragorn’s thoughts were when they approached the Argonath.  (Maybe someone can give that a try sometime!  What an emotional experience that must have been for him.)  And I like what you speculate about the Ring – and how It concentrated on Boromir and not Aragorn because It sensed more weakness in Boromir.  Interesting!

French Pony:  It’s a joy giving Gimli a chance to shine!  I always love it in fanfic when his tender heart peeks through his gruff exterior.  And I hope you enjoyed all the reactions to the Argonath in this chapter... I tried to portray how different people would view and be affected by it.

GamgeeFest:  Gimli is a total softie!  The hobbits can see right through his reserve.

Garnet Took:  I’m so glad the conversations are coming across well.  I’d rather write dialogue than anything else!

harrowcat:  I hope you’re feeling better!  Where is that athelas when we need it?

Larner:  The more we contemplate it, the more amazing and awe-inspiring it is that Frodo resisted the Ring's evil as long as he did.  What an incredible amount of faith Gandalf and Elrond placed in Frodo, and all the hobbits.  They saw hope embodied in these small, "simple" folk that went beyond logic, but came from an understanding of the heart and spirit.

Linda Hoyland:  Thank you, Linda.  I tried very hard in this story to follow canon as much as possible, even while trying to expand these days on the River with my own imagination and a few twists.

lovethosehobbits:  Ask for "more", and ye shall receive!  :D

Pearl Took:  In FOTR, it says that Frodo didn't study the Rivendell maps much because he was content to rely on Gandalf and Aragorn's guidance.  What a shock it must have been to lose Gandalf, and then set off into Mordor without Aragorn.  Thank goodness for Sam.

SlightlyTookish:  Gimli really did love the hobbits.  He was so emotional when he saw Merry and Pippin at Isengard, and again when he thought Pippin had died beneath the troll.

SurgicalSteel:  Gimli-hobbit conversations seem to be somewhat rare in fanfic; it was a pleasure writing several into this story.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List