Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Whispers of the Dragon  by shirebound

WHISPERS OF THE DRAGON

Chapter 7 --- Stout Hearts


"This is most unnatural," grumbled Gimli. "I don't like it."

"What is unnatural?"

Gimli gestured to where Pippin lay, Frodo and Merry curled up on either side of him. Sam had taken Merry's place and was keeping the compress on Pippin's forehead cold.

"Too quiet."

"I see," Legolas smiled. They were checking the boats for any damage. "No hobbits talking, pestering, eating, stirring things up, running about..."

"That is exactly what I said. Unnatural."

"Gimli, how will you ever be able to stand your quiet caves after this? Perhaps you had better take a few hobbits home with you." Legolas sat down on one of the boat seats. "Pippin can entertain you with endless tales and songs, Merry can map out the caverns, and Sam can make you even rounder with his cooking."

"What of Frodo?"

The Elf said nothing for a few moments. "I have never seen or heard of anyone enduring so much. The evil of the Ruling Ring must tear at his very soul, yet he refuses to listen. I would not even jest about the destiny of such a one." He looked toward Frodo, lying asleep as close to Pippin as he could get. "He shines, sometimes, Gimli.  On occasion I see a clear light that..." He shook his head, unable to explain it. "I have seen the way Samwise looks at him; I believe he sees it as well. We have been greatly honored to be in this Company."

Gimli nodded. "Yes, I agree."

Legolas looked at him. "Have you thought much, my friend, about what lies ahead? Neither of us pledged to enter Mordor, yet I suspect that is the choice Frodo will make. Even Lord Elrond could not see the end of our road; perhaps even Mithrandir could not. The darkest part of this journey doubtless still lies ahead."

"Aye, the Lady herself said as much, 'on the one hand lies darkness, on the other only hope.'"

Gimli and Legolas looked steadily at each other, each knowing that they would never abandon the Ringbearer. Then Gimli's eyes twinkled.

"Perhaps the Black Lands will seem less dark when hobbits have invaded it!"

Legolas laughed and clapped Gimli on the back. "Indeed, that would be a sight worth all our troubles."

*~*~*~*~*

Pippin opened his eyes and looked around. He was lying, wrapped in blankets, under some sort of shaded cover. He felt the afternoon sun warming his feet, but the cover made everything seem cool and dark. Frodo lay sound asleep to his right, his right hand curled tightly in Pippin's blankets. Merry lay asleep to his left, his arm wrapped around Pippin's chest. He felt so comfortable, so protected. If his head would just stop pounding... He wondered if it was still today, or was it tomorrow? He reached up and felt the cloth on his forehead, and wriggled around a bit to see if anything else hurt.

"Pip?" Merry was instantly awake. "How do you feel?" Frodo sat up and smiled at Pippin in relief.

"Like Sam hit me on the head with one of his pans," Pippin groaned.  "What's--" He started to sit up, but Merry pushed him back down.

"You're not supposed to get up yet. Frodo, I'm going to get Strider. Don't let him get up, all right? Sit on him if you have to." Merry raced away. Pippin looked at Frodo, who was trying to look stern and threatening. They were both laughing when Aragorn joined them.

"Peregrin Took, I believe that entire boulder could have fallen on you and we would still not be rid of you!" Aragorn sat down and grinned at the young hobbit, so Pippin would know he was joking. "Lie still, you scamp." This time it was Aragorn who had to push the youngster back down.

"I'm starving, Strider!"

"What a shock. First, tell me how you feel. Any nausea?"

"No."

Aragorn tried to hide his surprise. "Dizziness?"

"A little."

"How's your head?"

Pippin sighed. "It hurts." He closed his eyes for a second. "A lot."

Pippin was being brave, but Aragorn noted how pale he was. "You're recovering very fast. I thought Frodo was the only hobbit who could do that." Pippin smiled. "I'm going to bring you some willow bark tea..." The tween’s smile turned into a grimace. "...and if you drink it all, I have a treat in mind for you. Something very special." Aragorn turned to Merry. "You can get him something to eat, Merry. Not too much right away, though. Frodo, help me with this."

Frodo pulled a couple of the packs over, while Aragorn slowly and gently lifted Pippin into a sitting position and then leaned him against the packs. "All right?" Pippin nodded. "Keep an eye on him. I'll be back." The Ranger walked over to the small fire to brew some of the tea.

When Aragorn returned, Pippin was just finishing the dried fruit and cheese Merry had brought him. He eyed the steaming mug mournfully, then saw what Aragorn had in his other hand -- a wafer of lembas.

Pippin looked at him, wide eyed. He knew about the lembas, of course -- it was special and to be saved for emergencies. Aragorn doled pieces of it out very sparingly, and Pippin had decided it was the best thing he'd ever tasted. A few months ago, nothing that tasted that good, however special or forbidden, would have been safe from him. But he had not taken any in secret, not even when there had been opportunities to do so. Now here was a whole wafer of it being offered to him. Just for him. He reached out his hand, then drew it back. It just didn't seem right. He looked up at Aragorn.

"Can everyone else have some too?"

Surprised, the Ranger looked into Pippin's eyes and smiled. "You are a wonder, Peregrin Took." He took the small hand and closed it around the waybread. "Yes, everyone else can have some too. Provided you finish that tea." He looked at Frodo, who nodded.

"He'll drink it, Aragorn."

Aragorn walked over to the boat Gimli and Legolas shared, and took out a few of the leaf-wrapped packages of lembas. Merry came and stood by him. Aragorn looked over at Pippin, who had broken off a corner of the waybread and was insisting that Frodo have some.

"He's growing up, Merry."

"I know. I wonder if his family will even recognize him. It might be difficult for Pip, when we get back... get back to..." Merry stopped, his smile fading. "Strider," he said quietly, "do you think we'll ever get back home? Is there any hope?"

Aragorn put the packets down and folded Merry in his arms. "There is always hope," he said just as quietly, “although we are attempting something very difficult. I don't know how, but Gandalf seems to have chosen the four finest hobbits in the Shire for this quest." He knelt down and looked into Merry's eyes. "You've been very brave; you never let Pippin know that you have any doubts or fears. I'm sure it hasn't been easy for you."

Merry gazed at him solemnly. "It's what you're doing for Frodo."

"Yes it is," the Ranger agreed. "Let's keep being brave for awhile longer, all right?"

"All right." Merry eyed the packets on the ground. "Is one of those for me?"

Aragorn laughed and got to his feet. "Half of one of those is for you, you scoundrel. I haven't seen you missing any meals."

"I suspect you've never feasted on what a hobbit would consider a true 'meal,' Strider," said Merry. "We'll have to remedy that..." He paused and looked up at Aragorn with a smile. "...when we get home."

** TBC **

Ainu Laire:  I’m glad to have given you so much Aragorn in this story!  Many of us are fond of him too, but of course he’s all yours.

Andrea:  It’s a  joy to honor Boromir by trying to show him as a ‘whole’ person and not just a weak one.

aprilkat:  I can’t imagine the Big Folk not feeling a bit protective around the hobbits... especially an engaging youngster like Pippin.

Cuthalion:  Sean Bean’s Boromir was/is marvelous.  I think a lot of us felt we “knew” Boromir much better after the first film.  I’m trying to bring out that more “human” side in these stories.

French Pony:  Boromir is making sense, isn’t he?  How could anyone survive in Mordor, especially a hobbit?  You really can’t blame him for trying so hard to convince Frodo (and himself) that Minas Tirith was the only sane destination.

Garnet Took:  I don’t think Boromir had a clue about what was happening to him, either.  And I’m so glad you’re enjoying the Pippin h/c!  Lots more “comfort” to come for our dear Took.

harrowcat:  Thank you so much for highlighting a passage you enjoyed.  That means so much.

Lady Jaina:  Hi!  And thank you!

Larner:  I see so many comparisons between the speech of Smaug and the whispers of the Ring.  It was a fascinating challenge to try to bring out the similarities.

ibilover:  I definitely feel ‘sorrow and sympathy’ for Boromir.  That’s probably why I tried so hard in “Avalanche” and the “The Island” to write the noble, trusted, dedicated Boromir he was at the beginning of the Quest.

Linda Hoyland:  Thanks, Linda.  I’m always trying to show that the hobbits aren’t helpless – and can even take care of Rangers if the need arises.

Lindelea:  Ten days sitting in those boats!  I suspect Pippin wasn’t the only one to get a bit restless.  Ah, I do love writing (and reading) about hobbit h/c.  The little dears.

SlightlyTookish:  How could the Big Folk not want to give the hobbits all the care and comfort they can?  I can’t ever get enough of it.

Starfire Moonlight:  Oh my, Boromir really appreciates your hug!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List