Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Whispers of the Dragon  by shirebound

WHISPERS OF THE DRAGON

Chapter 6 --- Son of Gondor


Aragorn cleaned the bruise, and to keep Merry occupied with more than fretting, gave him the task of keeping a compress wrung out in icy river water held gently to Pippin's temple. He then checked the young hobbit as thoroughly as he could for any other injuries, and was relieved that there didn't seem to be any. He sat back on his heels.

"This could have been a lot worse, Merry; he might wake with nothing more troublesome than a bad headache. We have to keep him lying still, if such a thing is possible." Aragorn smiled. "I don't suppose your cousin is old enough to have ever had a hangover?"

"Actually, he has," Merry said, wetting the cloth again. "Pip's always had a taste for ale, and last spring at the Ivy Bush there was this contest--"

"I see,” Aragorn smiled.  “Well, his head may feel just like that. Keep that compress on him, and keep it cold. Sam, it might be a good idea to bring over one of your basins; Pippin may feel a bit sick when he wakes up. Frodo, could you rig something to keep the sun out of his eyes?"

Aragorn covered Pippin with a blanket and knew there was nothing left to do but wait.

"Was anyone else hurt? Frodo, did you or Boromir see what happened?"

Frodo folded several of the boat covers and propped them up over Pippin in a tent-like shape to keep out the sun. Keeping busy was helping him to feel calmer.

"We saw a flock of birds take off from the cliff up there, like they were startled by something," he said. "A few seconds later, that big boulder came bouncing down from the top. Boromir... Boromir saved both our lives. I've never seen anyone move so fast."

Boromir looked a bit embarrassed by the praise, and changed the subject.

"Unless we climb up there, Aragorn, I doubt we'll ever know if this was an an accident or deliberately caused. I think it must have been an accident; who could have known we would be here? Gimli, have you seen anything moving up there?"

"Nothing, Boromir,” the Dwarf replied. “If there were more rocks to throw down, or even arrows, I assume someone would have done so by now. This beach is littered with stone from many past rockfalls, and this may have just been one more of them. Legolas, do you see anything?"

Legolas, who had been scanning the eastern shore for any movement, holding his bow at ready, shook his head and came over.

"I do not see or hear anything unusual. It was most likely an unfortunate accident, although the landing place and timing of that boulder is certainly suspicious. But I agree with Boromir; we may never know for certain."

Aragorn shook his head. "Every time we stop, something seems to happen -- but traveling at night still seems the wisest course, especially now. Whatever headache Pippin will have won't get any better if he doesn't stay out of the sun for a few days. We will leave tonight as soon as I know it is safe for him, and we'll have to take turns sleeping on the boats while the others paddle and keep watch. It may not be easy to relax here, but we still need to get what rest we can before we leave again."

Frodo noticed that the Ranger looked a bit discouraged, or perhaps it was simply weariness. He caught Sam's eye.

"Aragorn," Frodo said, "take some rest. We'll let you know when Pip wakes."

The Ranger started to refuse, but Sam and Frodo took his hands and pulled him over to his bedroll. Amused, Aragorn sat down.

"Let me know as soon as--"

"We will," Frodo and Sam spoke as one.

*~*~*~*~*

Aragorn had slept for about an hour when Sam's soft voice woke him.

"Strider, Pip's waking up."

Aragorn walked over to the makeshift tent and sat down beside Merry and Frodo, who were watching their young cousin closely. Boromir had made a small fire, and was sitting nearby. Pippin hadn't opened his eyes, but had raised his right hand up to his head with a wince.

"Pippin, lie still." Aragorn took Pippin's left hand from Merry and held it. "Don't try to move or get up. Don't raise your head. Just lie still. Press my hand if you understand me." He felt a small squeeze. "Don't open your eyes until you're ready, Pippin. Can you move all your fingers and toes?"

"Yes," a faint whisper.

"Do you know where you are?"

"River..."

"That's right. I know your head hurts, but does anything else hurt? Do you feel pain anywhere?”

"Don't think so.  Mer..."

Merry placed his hand gently on Pippin's shoulder. "Right here, Pip," he said softly.

Pippin slowly opened his eyes and looked around. "What... oh," he whimpered, closing his eyes again. "Dizzy..."

"I know," Aragorn said soothingly. "Merry, lift that compress and let me see... yes, the swelling is already less. Pippin, you were hit by a piece of rock, but you'll be just fine. Do you feel sick to your stomach?"

"N..No. Just headache and... sleepy."

Aragorn rested his left hand on Pippin's brow, his touch feather light.

"You can sleep, Pippin. I'll make you some willow bark tea later for your headache."

"Oh Strider," Pippin murmured. "That stuff is awful. Try... something else..."

Aragorn felt the small hand in his slowly relax as Pippin fell back to sleep. He gently tousled the curly hair and smiled. "You scamp," he said softly. "That rock didn't stand a chance against you."

*~*~*~*~*

Frodo noticed Boromir flexing and rubbing his shoulder, and sat by him.

"You were hurt, weren't you? Why didn't you say something?"

"It is a small thing, just a bruise,” Boromir assured him.  “Pippin is the one who needs the attention and care."

Frodo's eyes drifted back to Pippin. "I can't stop thinking about what might have happened, that he might have been... I can't bear to see him hurt."

"Nor I," said Boromir quietly. "Yet none of us is indestructible. Pippin chose to come with you and share whatever peril might come. We all did."

"I never thought..." Frodo's voice was scarcely above a whisper. "I never truly thought about Pippin and Merry... in Mordor."

"You know they will not leave you willingly. Bring them to the safety of Minas Tirith and decide from there what to do."

Frodo rose and rested his hand on the Man's sore shoulder, gently soothing the hurt.

Boromir smiled. “Thank you." He grew aware that Frodo's hand was shaking a little, and he reached back and drew the hobbit close to him. "It was a close call, Frodo, but do not dwell on what might have happened. It serves no purpose."

Frodo tore his eyes away from the flat stone, now broken, where he and Boromir had been sitting. His thoughts flew backwards --- to the Redhorn Pass... the wargs... Moria -- to everything Boromir had done for them. For him.

"I wish you would stay."

Boromir sighed. "Some days ahead are the lake of Nen Hithoel and the Falls of Rauros. I will perhaps go that far with you, but if you choose the eastern way..." He shook his head. "I have been gone half a year now, perhaps more. My duty calls me home. I would have liked to bring something more to my father than the answer to a rhyme and the rumor of a king, but if you will not return with me, that is all I will have."

"I have not decided what to do, Boromir."

"I know. But think on it, Frodo. The borders of the Black Land cannot be breached; not even with an army could you do so. There is no food, no water, little concealment. The land is watched and orcs are everywhere. The very air is poison. I do not know what Gandalf had planned for you, but the thought of hobbits in such a place chills my blood." Boromir’s gaze fell on the shattered remnants of the boulder... the shattered remnants of the tower of Ecthelion. Minas Tirith in ruins. The Shadow spreading, devouring... He closed his eyes, but it was still before him. Death. Ruin.

"Do not take the Ring back to Sauron, Frodo. All will be lost." His arm tightened convulsively around the hobbit and his voice sank to an anguished, almost inaudible whisper. "All will be lost!"

** TBC **

Amy:  Is it the Ring whispering to him that he’s endangering everyone?  I suspect it grew difficult to separate his own thoughts and desires from those of the Ring; but he held out longer than most would have.

aprilkat:  Yes, I’m sure Boromir always thought he was thinking rationally!  I like how you say the hobbits “anchored” him – for as long as they could, anyway.

Armariel:  It does hurt ussss when our precious hobbits are sick or injured, doesn’t it?  That’s why I hurry past the “hurt” and try to dive right into the “comfort”.

Baggins Babe:  I enjoy writing Boromir-Frodo conversations, particularly since they tend to be somewhat rare in fan fiction.

Cuthalion:  Writing this story brought me a much deeper understanding of Boromir.  That “dragon” truly whispered to him in ways he just couldn’t resist – and in a voice I’m certain he thought was his own.

demeter d:  “Strong, caring and protective” is my favorite way to read (or write) Boromir.  Writing this story, “Avalanche”, and "The Island" really taught me a lot about him.

Dreamflower:  Merry is quite the perceptive hobbit, and his insights about Frodo would be based on years of love and experience.

French Pony:  I’m so glad you like ‘my’ Boromir.  Seeing his companions (such as the hobbits) through his eyes really helps us to understand him much better.

Garnet Took:  I do seem to have written a lot of PippinHealing in 2002!  (I guess “Avalanche” and "Reunion at Cormallen" had the most Pippin h/c that year.)  Poor hobbits... but at least they get so much wonderful love and attention in our stories.

Gentle Hobbit:  Yes, Frodo hasn’t built up his coping skills yet for dealing with his companions being hurt or ill, has he?  But he’s a wonderfully caring ‘elder cousin’, and will do his best.

girlofring:  Thanks for reading it all again, my friend!

Grey Wonderer:  The Fellowship spent so much time together, it’s hard to imagine them not bonding.

Larner:  My goodness, thank you for complimenting my ‘details’.  Compared to many writers (yourself most definitely included), I feel I always fall short in the ‘details’ department, as I’m always more comfortable writing dialogue.

lbilover:  Thank you!  And you’ve hit on one of the very things that drew me to LOTR fan fiction; what happened in those hours or days that the Professor left up to our imaginations?  What a joy to have his universe to play in.

Linda Hoyland:  Oooh, “creeping menace”... I like that.  The Fellowship could never really relax and let down their guard.

Pearl Took:  Poor Boromir was so used to physical battles, he probably never even realized what was happening to him on a non-physical level.

Pipkin Sweetgrass:  Thank you for reading, Pipkin!  I hope you continue to enjoy the story.

SlightlyTookish:  Sorry the Pip-hurt took you by surprise!  But considering that it’s soft-hearted me writing this, you can be assured that the Pip-comfort will more than make up for any hurt.

Tigger:  I don’t think even Frodo ever believed Boromir was evil – the Ring had just been too much for him.  Awww, I like how you say that Merry and Pippin were “his” hobbits.  I’m sending you good thoughts and get-well hugs.  Thank you for reading, Tigger, and for your constant enthusiasm.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List