Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Whispers of the Dragon  by shirebound

WHISPERS OF THE DRAGON

Chapter 8 --- Choices


Sam, acknowledged by all as the best at packing and arranging things, busied himself setting up a place in Boromir's boat for Pippin to lie down comfortably during the night as they traveled. He redistributed gear to the other boats and made sure Pippin would have enough blankets under and over him.

Pippin grumbled a bit when Aragorn not only wouldn't let him stand up yet, but also insisted that he lie down in the boat all night and try not to sit up unless absolutely necessary. He was still protesting when, just before the Company was due to leave, he realized his head was beginning to throb again. He closed his eyes, and after awhile thought he heard his name and felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Go 'way," he murmured.

Boromir's soft chuckle, strong arms lifting him... Pippin heard voices, someone's fingers at his wrist... more voices... movement... He was wondering if he could stand to swallow more of Strider's tea when sleep claimed him once more.

Boromir carried Pippin to their boat, and he and Merry settled him into the nest Sam had made for him. Aragorn noticed Merry's worried look.

"It's all right, Merry, he'll probably sleep on and off for a few days. Any head injury, even a small one, tends to have that effect. He really is recovering fast." Aragorn looked at everyone else. "Let's make as much distance as we can. Stay quiet, and stay alert."

Frodo came over to Boromir, concerned.

"Does your shoulder still ache?" he asked quietly, "I know you didn't tell anyone you were injured."

Boromir smiled at him. "You have a good heart, Frodo, but 'twas a small thing. It would take more than a bit of rock to fell a Man of Gondor!"

Frodo smiled at him and they went to their boats.

It was an uneventful night. They paddled for long stretches, gliding past a countryside increasingly barren to the east, high and rocky to the west. At dawn, the weary travelers glided into a tiny beach and took turns sleeping and keeping watch.

Aragorn and Merry shared the watch in the late afternoon of that seventh day, and as they sat together in one of the boats, Aragorn thought the time had come to discuss a difficult subject.

"Merry," he began, "you and Pippin have a decision to make soon."

"We do?"

Aragorn looked at him. "Very soon, Boromir will be returning home. You know that." Merry nodded. "Minas Tirith is a fortified city, as safe a place as now stands in Middle-earth. Frodo may decide that we should accompany Boromir and attempt Mordor from the west, or he may choose to cross the River without venturing near the city, and approach Mordor from the north. Regretfully, this decision must -- in the end -- be his alone. If Frodo chooses the eastern way, you and Pippin will have to decide whether to continue on with him -- a very difficult journey even before the border is reached -- or to go with Boromir to Minas Tirith."

Merry's mouth dropped open in astonishment.  As he started to speak, Aragorn stopped him.

"I know you never planned to leave Frodo; it probably never even occurred to you. I just wanted you to know that you have a choice. I wanted you to think about it." Aragorn smiled at the hobbit. "Go on, now. Wake Frodo and Sam for their watch and try to get some sleep."

Merry just sat for a few minutes, then got up and walked away.

Aragorn wondered what Legolas and Gimli had decided to do, but realized he already knew. Like him, in their hearts they were pledged to Frodo's side. Sam... he smiled to himself. That went without saying. He looked over at Merry, now sitting quietly next to Pippin under the improvised shade cover. As much as Merry wanted to keep Pippin safe, Aragorn didn't really think they would ever abandon Frodo. There was probably no decision to make.

With all his heart, Aragorn wanted Boromir to take these two with him, somehow keep them safe and protected. If something should happen to one or both of them in Mordor, he wasn't sure Frodo would be able to go on. On the other hand... he sighed. Who was he to say what Frodo Baggins could or could not endure? Or where Merry and Pippin's destinies were leading them? They were free to choose. They all were. But the hardest choice lay with Frodo, and it could not much longer be put off.

*~*~*~*~*

Merry knew he should be sleeping, but Pippin was trying to stay awake and there was no time like the present. His young cousin deserved to make his own decisions.

"Pip?"

"Mmmm?”

"Have you thought about what it will be like when Boromir leaves?”

"Of course I have."

Merry turned over and stared at his cousin. "You have?"

"I think about a lot of things.  What about it?"

"You know Frodo might not want to go with him."

"I know."

"We could go with him, you know. It would be safer and all."

"Leave Frodo?" Pippin sat up, even though he knew he wasn't supposed to. His look showed that he truly thought his cousin had lost his mind. Slowly, comprehension dawned.

"Are you scared something will happen to me in... in...?" He pointed across the River. Merry just looked at him and said nothing. "Silly," Pippin smiled and touched his still-tender bruise. "Something can happen anywhere."

Merry sighed. "You're growing up so fast, Pip, it's hard to keep up."

Pippin lay down again, a bit sorry he had sat up so fast. "I'm scared for you too, you know." He was quiet for a moment. "But I'm mostly scared for Frodo. Let's help him get rid of that awful Ring and go home. All right?"

"All right," Merry said softly, pressing his cousin's hand.

"Mer, do you think... do you think we are helping Frodo at all?"

"I don't know." Merry was quiet for a moment. "But this is what friends do for each other. Gandalf thought we should come, and so did we. Do you remember Frodo's face when Elrond said we could go? I don't think he much liked the thought of being sent off on this journey with so many Big Folk and only one hobbit for company. He was glad, Pip. He still is – and maybe that's enough help for now. We have a long way to go still, you know."

"I know."

"Your head still hurts, doesn't it?"

"Not like before. Not enough to drink more of that bitter stuff." Pippin found himself yawning.

"Try to sleep a bit more; Strider says it's the best thing you can do."

"I will... if you... will..." Pippin's voice trailed off.

Merry lay on his back and stared up at the clouds. He knew Pippin would miss Boromir keenly, and so would he. As best he could figure, they had been traveling together for two months. He remembered Caradhras... Moria... and Frodo would have been killed by that rock if not for Boromir. Still, he felt a growing unease.  He didn't like the way Boromir had been looking at Frodo recently. It was as if he wasn't even looking at him as a person, more as --- the word came unbidden to his mind --Ringbearer. Something wasn't right; they would just have to watch out for Frodo even more than before. Merry doubted his cousin had any idea how much he and Sam and Pippin worried about him, how closely they watched. He smiled to himself. It was just like their conspiracy back in the Shire.

As Merry gazed at the sky, he saw a large, soaring shape pass high overhead. Enormous bird, he thought sleepily, is that an eagle? He had never seen one, but Bilbo's stories were full of eagles. He noticed Legolas watching it carefully, but he didn't seem alarmed. Merry sighed and closed his eyes. If only one of the eagles could fly Frodo to the mountain, he mused, and he could just toss the Ring overboard... then just a short flight home... if only... finally he fell asleep.

** TBC **

Ainu Laire:  I hope you had a marvelous time at the “Ringers” premiere.  How exciting!

Andrea:  I understand that willow bark (the origin of our modern aspirin) is indeed extremely bitter.

aprilkat:  This story was my first venture into how others “saw” Frodo and his inner light.  In future stories (such as “Avalanche”, “Light Out of Darkness”, and “Sing Me Home” – among others) I tried to expand on it.

Baggins Babe:  I’m so thrilled you find this plausible, especially since I originally wrote this story in 2002 (in a rougher form) and was just trying my fanfic wings.  Oh yes, “movie” Boromir brought many of us into a new appreciation of this intriguing character.

Breon Briarwood:  Thanks, Breon!  I can imagine Gimli joking and relaxing as he began to feel more comfortable with the members of the Fellowship.

Cuthalion:  Thank you so much!  In 2002, when I was originally writing “Whispers”, I hadn’t a clue how to write Legolas or Gimli.  There are more Gimli scenes to come in this story, and they really taught me a lot.

Dreamflower:  I’m just so addicted to writing “sweet” moments!  Thank you so much for enjoying them with me.

French Pony:  I enjoyed writing that Legolas-Gimli scene.  The Books tell us that these two became good friends, but the Professor doesn’t go into much detail as to the evolution of that friendship.  I tried to bring a little of it out in this story, and much more in “Avalanche”.  And yes, I can imagine this Quest did more for Pippin’s “growing up” in one short year than a lifetime in the Shire might have done.

Garnet Took:  It’s a joy to write scenes between folks who don’t have too many conversations in the books – like Merry and Aragorn.

Grey Wonderer:  I like it when little “conspiracies of love” come out – such as Merry and Aragorn agreeing to be brave (or at least appear brave) for those who are depending on them.

harrowcat:  My favorite “Fellowship” theme is bonding and learning between its members.  These were nine very different people, who travelled a very long way together.  And you’re so right about the lembas!  I had fun with that in “In the Keeping of the King”, where Frodo was hoping there was no lembas in the first meal he and Sam were served after awakening in Ithilien.

Larner:  Frodo’s “light” is such a fascinating part of the Tale.  I try to write about it whenever I can.  And oh, I love the idea of hobbits visiting Erebor.  I hope they would be treated as well as Bilbo treated Thorin & Co. at Bag End!

Linda Hoyland:  Thank you, Linda.  “My” Fellowship (the one in my heart) is a mutually supportive one, and I just can’t seem to write them any other way.

lovethosehobbits:  I did post this story on fanfiction.net, but the version over there is very crude and was never beta’d.  I’m making lots of changes and revisions this time around.  Glad you’re enjoying the journey!

Pearl Took:  Hobbits have certainly taken over my heart, that’s for sure!

SlightlyTookish:  I can’t imagine Pippin being anything but unselfish.  He had every chance to avoid a dangerous Quest -- one which might mean he would never see home again -- but he simply wouldn’t hear of being left behind.  I’m sure he did everything in his power to prove to the Fellowship that he was one of them.

Tigger:  I’ve had my share of “doozy migraines”, as well!  They really can’t be described to anyone, can they?

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List