Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Shire Sketchbook  by Baggins Babe

First Yule 1432 SR

The Bag End parlour was quiet as the children napped on the over-stuffed chairs and couches. Walking carefully, so as not to wake them, Frodo went to the log basket and added another log to the flames. Goldie whimpered in her cradle and Frodo-lad sleepily reached over and rubbed her tummy. It would soon be midnight and then Second Yule and a new year, and the children were still up because their mother was busy bringing another baby into the world.

       Sam tried not allow his children to see how worried he was but he was afraid this would not be the usual easy birth. Garnet Tunnelly had spent the day with them just in case Rose went into labour, and Sam and Frodo cooked Yule dinner. Rose ate well and spent the afternoon sewing, but her pains began after tea and Rose's mother and Doctor Porto were both on hand to help.

       Lily Cotton poked her head out of the bedroom. "Things are going just fine, Sam. Goodness gracious! Are those children still up?"

       "They don't want to go to bed until the babe comes and I haven't the heart to make 'em."

       "Well, I don't suppose it'll hurt just this once. It is a special occasion after all." She went into the kitchen, made more tea and nodded approvingly when she saw that Frodo was ensuring a plentiful supply of hot water.

       A sharp exclamation from Rose, only slightly muffled by the bedroom door, made Sam jump. He leapt to his feet and went into the hall, his whole bearing full of tension. Frodo glanced sympathetically at his friend and stroked Rosie-lass' curls as she slumbered in the largest armchair with her sister. As he did so he noticed that Ellie was awake. Her eyes were open and she looked frightened.

       "Mum is going to be alright, isn't she, Uncle Fro? Da seems really worried this time."

       "No more than usual, lovely," he said smoothly. "He doesn't like to think of your mum in pain."

       Ellie narrowed her beautiful aquamarine eyes. "Are you sure?"

       "Positive," Frodo said as calmly as he could. They had managed to keep the secret from the children for the simple reason that this pregnancy was not following the normal pattern, and, as Rose herself had said, there was no point counting chickens.........

       Just before midnight the cry of a new-born startled everyone into wakefulness. Goldie grizzled a little and Frodo lifted her into his arms and bounced her gently. A few moments later Garnet peered in, smiling.

       "A little lad, as bright as a button." She vanished again and the children waited to be summoned in.

       "Give them time. The baby has to be washed and so does your mum. Who wants a biscuit while we wait?"

       To the impatient children and their father and uncle, it seemed as if the wait lasted hours but finally Lily beckoned Sam inside. She was smiling broadly and looked relieved and proud. Frodo-lad threw himself back in the chair in disgust and Merry-lad banged his fist on the arm of the chair to demonstrate his frustration. They were rewarded when Garnet opened the door and welcomed them all in.

       As they filed in they saw their mother holding a shawl-swathed baby and grinning tiredly.

       "Are you alright, Mum?" Ellie asked anxiously.

       "I'm fine, my lovie. Come and say hello to little Hamfast."

       "Your mum is well and everything went very nicely," Doctor Porto reassured the lass.

       Frodo turned Ellie slightly so that she could see her father. The other children swivelled as well and Rose laughed out loud at the shock on their faces, for there was Sam, holding another swaddled bundle.

       "There's two babies!" cried Rosie-lass. Pip-lad clapped his hands and even tiny Goldie looked puzzled.

       "That's right. We knew there might be two, and that's why Garnet and Doctor Porto have been looking after me extra carefully."

       "What's this one called?"

      "Not sure yet. This is a lass," said Sam, who was grinning like a cat who had stolen all the cream and eaten the canary.

       "How did you know there was two?" Merry-lad demanded.

       "I felt two babies moving in my tummy. Your gammer told me what it felt like when she was expecting your Uncle Jolly and me, and we realised we might be having twins. It runs in families. Lord Elrond is one of twins and he had twin sons."

       "And do you know the strangest and most wonderful thing?! asked Sam, as he sat on the bed so that both babies could be admired at once. "One was born just before midnight and the other just after, so one was born in the old year and one in the new."

       Frodo gazed down at the squashed faces, button noses and tiny clenching fingers. "Baby Hamfast even looks a bit like the Gaffer. And doesn't the lass look like your Daisy?"

       Rose looked at the faces and laughed. "So she does. Perhaps we should call her Daisy then, Sam-love?"

       "Hope she's not as sharp-tongued as her auntie." He smiled. "But it's a good name and she'll be thrilled."

       Ellie looked around the room, her face radiant. "This is the best Yule present ever!"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List