Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Shire Sketchbook  by Baggins Babe

As requested by several readers - what happened when Frodo gave out those beautiful birthday gifts.

 

Halimath 1430

A week before his birthday Frodo travelled to Buckland, to visit Brandy Hall and Crickhollow. He was to spend a few days there before returning in time to host the Tooks at a party in the Party Field. He had suggested doing things this way because Diamond and Estella had new babies and would not welcome a journey when they were still busy learning how to be mothers. Nor would he expect Merry and Pip to leave wives and babes for a birthday celebration, although he knew they would have come to Hobbiton if he asked them to.

       "Look at it this way - I now have two separate celebrations to look forward to," was how he reassured his cousins.

       He rode to Buckland on the lively and eye-catching Limlight, and afterwards swore that the journey took two days because so many hobbits stopped to admire the pony and ask about his lineage. He stayed the night at The Floating Log and enjoyed fine meals and a comfortable bed while Limlight was equally well-supplied in the stables. In the common-room he answered questions about the King and the other visitors who had made such an impression during their visit in the Spring, and all asked to be remembered to 'Our Lord King.'

       Limlight was eager to be off the next morning, standing obedient and still while Frodo adjusted the stirrups and fitted the bridle, then taking off at a canter once his master was in the saddle. It was a lovely morning, warm and sunny, the trees a dark green now but keeping their leaves due to the generous quantities of rain that summer. It had been as good a year as 1420 and orchards were laden with fruit, the wayside brambles groaned under the weight of huge purple berries, and the barns in each district were full to capacity. There would be bread for everyone and good ale at every inn.

       Frodo arrived at the Brandywine Bridge at mid-afternoon, having given Limlight his head on the empty stretches of road. He could see that the new combined Shirriff, Bounder and Ranger Post was complete - a large building to the side of the road, with a kitchen and sleeping quarters on the ground floor for hobbits and on the upper floor for Men. The hobbits no longer regarded Men with suspicion and relations between those who guarded both sides of the border were becoming ever closer. Hobbits delighted to cook for their friends and the Men never missed an opportunity for a meal and a pipe. The building was ideally placed to give a good view of the road on both sides of the Bridge, and kept a fine cellar full of wine and ale. It provided a welcome respite for weary Rangers, with a stable and some grazing land for horses. The King had met most of the cost but the Shire also contributed, yet another example of everyone working together in the Reunited Kingdom.

       The Bounder, Hob Hayward's brother, saluted. "Afternoon, Mister Baggins. Going to the Hall?"

       "Hello, Olly. Yes, but I'll call at Crickhollow first. How are you? Wife and little ones well?"

       "Mustn't grumble, sir. The littlest had lung fever a while ago, but she's fine now." He looked at the pony. "Never seen a pony like that, sir. Came from Rohan, Master Merry said."

       "That's right. His grandsire was the most magnificent horse in Middle-earth. He's a bit of a handful but very affectionate." Frodo patted the glossy neck. "I'm off to see the latest additions to the Took and Brandybuck families."

       "Saw them out last week. Growing a treat, they are."

       Frodo rode towards the house and dismounted. Estella was at the door, baby Theoden in her arms. Her dark hair lifted in the breeze and her cheeks were dusted with flour. She looked radiant.

       "Frodo! Oh how lovely to see you at last. Merry's so excited he's been to the Bridge twice since lunch." She kissed her visitor.

       "Stella, you look wonderful. Marriage and motherhood must agree with you. Hope they suit Diamond just as much." He looked down at the baby and grinned. "I see he got the Brandybuck nose!"

       Stella giggled. "I know. I'm hoping he'll grow into it!"

       "It's smaller than Merry's when he was born. When I first saw him he was all nose!" He tethered Limlight to the fence as they would be walking over to the Hall and would stable him there.

       "I can tease him with that."

       "Frodo!" Merry and Pip rushed out and all but hauled their cousin to the house, where Diamond had just fnished dressing Fari.

       "Frodo dear! Oh how well you look!" She hugged him and then settled him in a chair where he could hold both babies.

       Frodo looked down at the future of Buckland and the Shire and marvelled at the fragility and strength combined in these two tiny creatures. Fari yawned and opened his eyes to peer up at the visitor. One small starfish hand opened and closed reflexively.

       "Hello, little one. I'm your Uncle Fro." He smiled and turned to Theo, who was watching him with that disconcerting gaze for which Merry was famous. "You, my little one, have inherited your father's impressive nose!" Theo blinked solemnly.

       "Insulting me again?" Merry said, sitting on the arm of the chair and stroking his son's curls.

       "Of course. You mustn't begrudge an elderly hobbit his only amusement."

       "Who is this elderly hobbit anyway?" Pip demanded. "I don't know any elderly hobbits."

       "Come along, you three," said Estella, reappearing in a fresh dress, her bonnet in one hand. "Like a bunch of old gammers when it comes to gossipping."

                                                                           *************

       The walk to Brandy Hall took little time. Frodo led Limlight round to the stables and removed his tack, then rubbed him down while the stable-lad filled a hay net. When the pony was settled, Frodo went into the house to be greeted by Esme and Saradoc. Esme had not seen him since the King's visit, and she fussed over him, delighted to have him back at the Hall.

       After tea, he went to his room to change for the party. He selected the suit sent to him from Gondor for his birthday. Pip stood in the doorway watching Frodo don the jacket and check his appearance in the mirror. The suit was made from a rich midnight blue velvet, with a silver spangling of embroidery on the lapels, and Frodo had matched it with a very pale yellow waistcoat.

       "Becoming quite the dandy Baggins, aren't you?"

       "Becoming? I'll have you know I was a stylish dresser before you could brush up your toes without falling over, young 'squeak." He brushed his foot fur and fastened his cufflinks.

       "Hear that, Mer? When we're the most exalted in the Shire we'll still have to put up with our childhood nicknames."

       "But we shall make a virtue of it. 'Meet the Thain and Master - otherwise known as Squeak and Squirt!'" said Merry with an extravagant bow and a flourish.

       "Old Gerontius was a very flashy dresser - at least I've been told so - and Bilbo liked his fancy waistcoats, so I suppose it's in the family." Pip prowled round Frodo, studying the new outfit from all angles.

       Merry chuckled. "I think I get my taste in waistcoats from Grand-da Rory." He rubbed his nose ruefully. "I inherited this from him as well."

       Frodo laughed. "Less impressive than Uncle Rory's. Mama used to tease him about it. He always said he took her share as well as his own!"

       "Your mother inherited the Took nose, which is more than I did," said Pip. "I got the Banks nose."

        Frodo hugged Pip. "It's a very nice nose and suits you, Pip. And you've grown into yours, Merry-mine." He picked up the basket which contained the packages and small boxes and they made their way to the Master's apartments.

       No-one could ever say that Master 'Scattergold' Brandybuck did not keep a fine table. Brandy Hall's cooks were among the best anywhere, and they rose to the great occasion with aplomb. Frodo enjoyed a birthday meal with all his favourite dishes - mushrooms in three or four different styles, chicken with a pork, sage and onion stuffing, potatoes, beans and carrots, followed by plum pie with thick cream.

       Then they filled up the corners with fresh peaches and some small sweet strawberries, until even Pip declared that every corner was full to capacity.

       "Aha! Now I can give out my presents." Frodo fetched the basket and selected the first parcel. "Sara, this is yours."

       Saradoc enjoyed presents and he squeezed the soft package curiously before undoing the ribbon. Inside was a beautifully tooled leather pipeweed pouch in deep blue, with his initials and the Brandybuck crest in silver. He opened it and sniffed appreciatively. "Old Toby! Thank you, my lad, this is wonderful. Which little bird told you my old pouch was falling apart?"

       Frodo went into peals of laughter. "Oh Sara, that thing has been falling apart for years!"

       Everyone agreed and Saradoc chuckled. "I suppose I have been hanging on to it a bit too long."

       "Like that old jacket of yours which I keep giving to the gardener for the scarecrow, and you keep taking back again," said Esme.

       Saradoc huffed. "Nothing wrong with that jacket. Years of wear in it yet!"

       A similar package was handed to Merimac, who exclaimed delightedly when he undid it, revealing a dark green pouch also full of the best leaf. "From your own plantation, my dear Frodo?"

       Frodo nodded. "Minto sent several barrels from last year's crop. He says this year's will be even better, and the same goes for the New Winyards. The grapes are fat and juicy and they say the yield will be as much and as good as the Old Winyards."

       "Then I shall place an order for several dozen bottles," said Saradoc. "The King was keen to try it."

       "Yes. I've sent him a case of the 1428, which was very good but not as plentiful. He says even the ambassadors from Rhun and Harad have heard of it, so if this year's yield is as generous as we hope, he should be able to give some as diplomatic gifts in a year or two."

       "So what are all these little boxes?" Esme enquired, peering into the basket.

       "Pieces of Mama's jewellery. I decided it was time they were worn again. No good hiding them in the back of my wardrobe when there are so many lovely lasses to wear them." He gave Esme her gift.

       "Oh! Frodo, it's the emerald. I always thought it the loveliest thing and she used to say it didn't suit her but it did. Everything suited Prim." She lifted it from its nest and held it so the large square-cut emerald swung on the fine chain, fracturing the candlelight and sending it spinning across the walls. "I will treasure it, my dearest lad - if you're sure............"

       Frodo fastened the necklace and kissed her. "I'm sure. And Mama was right. It does enhance the green in your eyes." He found himself held tightly. "She would have wanted you to have it. I'm only sorry I've waited all these years. I should have given it to you a long time ago."

      "I shall wear it and think of her - I often do, you know."

       For Merimac's wife, Eudora, there was a very pretty twisted silver necklace with an opal, her favourite stone. She thanked Frodo profusely, her eyes shimmering. She had been in awe of Primula when she arrived at the Hall on her marriage to Merimac, and had worshipped the Master's youngest sister whenever they visited. She remembered the nightmare day when the accident happened, and her last sight of Prim, cold and stiff, stretched out on the bed beside Drogo had stayed with her for nearly fifty years.

       "My dearest Frodo, this means more than I can tell you. I remember your Mama wearing this."

       "Papa gave it to her when he knew she was going to recover from the miscarriage she had when I was eight. I remember him showing it to me. He was as excited as a child at Yule."

       He handed another two boxes to Estella and Diamond. Both lasses were intrigued and began undoing ribbons while he watched approvingly. "If you want to swap I won't be offended," he said as Diamond lifted out the silver bracelet with the small turquoise stones.

       "It's so lovely! Oh Frodo you are such a darling!" She embraced him. "I never knew your mother but she must have been wonderful or you wouldn't be the hobbit you are."

       "I wish I'd known her," said Estella, examining the aquamarines in her bracelet. "I love her portrait. But she was beautiful without any jewellery."

       "And so are you, my dear Stella." Frodo fastened the bracelet and smiled at her.

       Merry and Pip were more than pleased with their cufflinks. They were both engraved gold - Merry's had a sunburst, appropriate for a knight of Rohan, and Pip's had a star.

       "You sure you don't mind, Fro? Us all wearing your parents' things?"

       "Mind? Why should I mind? More than time they were out in the light again, worn by those I love."

       "We're honoured. I'll treasure these and I know Merry will too."

       "And I shall treasure the fact that they are now yours."

                                                                          ************

       A week later, in the Party Field, Frodo watched another group of lasses proudly wearing his mother's things - Eglantine displaying her brooch, Pearl showing Minto the ring, Pimpernel with the hair clasps, Pervinca admiring the silver bracelet, Rose wearing the matching necklace and bracelet now. She was dressed in the lilac silk from Gondor, still hiding the fact that she was expecting again. Her honey curls blew about her neck and her eyes sparkled as she smiled at him. Under the Party Tree young Emerald was fussing Rufus and showing off her cat brooch, and Sapphire and Primula were in a conspiratorial huddle.

       In allowing himself to finally let go, he felt closer to his parents than before. These cherished pieces would live on, and with them the memory of those who had been so cruelly torn from life. Taking Rose's hand, he whisked her into the dancing while the guests looked on in delight.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List