Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Twin Mischief  by Cierah

Chapter Twelve

He wandered down the dimly lit halls, searching for signs of his father. It was almost time for the Mirkwood elves to depart for their homelands, and he needed to give the smallest elfling a parting gift. He chuckled to himself at the term, he remembered hating it so when he was small, and here he was now calling another the same thing he had despised. He descended the stairs to the front entrance hall, catching sight of his father’s robes. He quickly jogged to his side, and murmured quietly. “Do you have it father?”

Elrond nodded and his hands dug under his burgundy robes for a tiny box. Pulling it out he passed it to his eldest son with a small sad smile. It had been two days since they had escaped the clutches of the dark woods, but it had not been enough time for Elrohir to fully heal and join them for this parting. Elladan returned his father’s smile, but his smile faded as a small party of hunters entered the courtyard.

“It is time.” Elrond whispered standing straight and lifting his head up.

Elladan followed suit. He was dressed in a pale green tunic, dark green breeches, and a dark velvet over robe. He wore his diadem of mithril wreaths. But nothing could calm his saddened soul at the loss of the crown prince of Mirkwood.

The hunters stood in the center of the yard holding a litter which carried the prince, covered in a gold and red cover. Elladan lowered his head sadly. He did not know prince Galen all that well, but he remembered their arguments before his death, and he felt guilty as he watched the royal family enter the glad clad in their traveling clothes. Elladan gasped at the sight of the middle prince, now the crown prince. He looked pale, far paler then he should. It also looked as though he had lost some weight. His head was bowed and his eyes downcast. Elladan stole a glance at his father who shook his head sadly.

“We will discuss it later.” Was all the elf lord of Imladris whispered.

Elladan nodded and scanned the group for the smallest prince. He stood beside his father, holding his mother’s hand. Queen Lalaith also looked pale, but she held her head high. Her face was tear streaked, and her bright blue eyes flashed with anger and grief. King Thranduil stood tall and proud, and nodded briefly to Elrond, who returned the nod slightly.

Elladan watched as the queen and her middle son mounted their horses. He almost forgot about his gift, as the youngest placed his foot in the saddle of his horse.

“Wait!” Elladan called, racing forward. The family paused, and all heads turned to Elladan who gulped at the sudden attention. He slowed his pace, one more fitting a lord, and paused beside Legolas who looked at him curiously.

Elladan leaned over passing the small box into his small hands. “This is something my brother and I made for you and Erysyn.” He whispered, then stepped back a little as Legolas glanced at him then down at the box. “I hope you can use it in your many years to come.” Elladan bowed elegantly, and stood back a little more as Legolas slowly opened the box. Inside was a finely crafted silver embossed book. The pages were empty and had the prince’s titles on them. “It is a journal, for all your travels, and I hope that this will not be your last to Rivendell.”

Legolas looked up and tears welled up in his eyes. He ran forward and flung his arms around Elladan. Startled at this show of affection, he smiled slowly and returned the hug. “Farewell, little greenleaf.”

Legolas raised an eyebrow at the term but didn’t say anything; he turned and mounted his horse, as Elladan returned to his father’s side. Elladan was lost in his own thoughts, as his father bid the Mirkwood family farewell. Once they were gone, Elrond turned around sadly, and reentered the house, leaving Elladan there his trained eyes following the royal family’s departure until they were out of sight. Night had now fallen and Elladan smiled and retreated into the house.

Elladan didn’t know how long he wandered the halls of his home, but by the time he shook himself out of his musings he realized it was well past midnight. Taking a deep breath he walked slowly up the stairs, and entered the Peredhil halls, and wandered down to his room. He glanced at his brother’s closed door, and slowly opened it. His brother lay sleeping curled under a mound of blankets, looking very content. Deciding not to disturb his twin, he closed the door and walked into his own room.

He disrobed and stood there in the center of his green room. He smiled at the paining of trees, and the meadows on the walls, and the peaceful colors of the murals. He crawled into bed and shivered slightly as he placed his head down on the soft pillow. Elladan rolled onto his back, and finally after many hours of tossing and turning, drifted into sleep.

He stood on a large grassy hill over looking a field of white flowers that danced in the slight breeze. The air was fresh, and smelled of fresh rain. The feeling of peace and contentment entered his soul as he breathed in the warm air, however he turned feeling suddenly cold. Spinning around in a circle he looked around him, but saw nothing but hills, grass, and white flowers. The air around him turned cold, the breeze picked up, and he was alone. He called out his brother’s name, but no sound escaped his lips. A loud noise caused him to turn again, to seek out a safe refuge but he had nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.

Fearfully he raced towards the setting sun, the sky darkening and turning a red. Glancing down at his feet he willed himself to run faster, but it was as though they were cast in stone causing him to run slower. Frightened, he looked over his shoulder, and saw many dark forms behind him. Dark twisted beasts, for which he had no name. He reached down to his waist to draw his weapon, but found he was unarmed. Terrified now he seemed to be moving slower, as he ran. Frustrated he called out his brother’s name. He received no answer. The heard the familiar twang of a bow, and arrows flew by his head, in their hard singing tones.

AHH!” He shot up in his bed, drenched in sweat. He glanced around him, and realized it was yet another nightmare, one that had haunted him all his life. He lifted his shaking hands, and reached over to his night table and poured himself a glass of water, drinking down the cool liquid trying to ease the dryness in his throat. He released his breath shakily. Shaking his head he flung back the covers, and placed both his feet on the floor. His heart pounded heavily in his chest, and he lowered his head to his hand. He found he felt as though he had not rested and now angry he flung his glass across his room, causing it to bounce against the wall and fall to the ground with a loud clang. The goblet, now dented sat on the floor. Elladan shook his head and gathered his wits about him and stood up from his bed. Taking a deep breath, he opened his door and walked cross the halls to his brother’s room.

Entering the bright blue ocean room, he wandered over to the bed, and sat down shaking his twin’s shoulder lightly. He earned himself a small moan, and the huddled form moved. He looked into his brother’s gray distant eyes, as they slowly came into focus and locked onto his own gray haunted ones.

Elrohir came fully awake at the sight of his brother, and sat up. “You had another one didn’t you?”

Elladan turned his eyes away from Elrohir’s penetrating ones, and slowly nodded. “It is the same one I have time after time.”

Elrohir nodded, knowing the dream his older brother meant, he had heard the story too many times, and he remembered even shivering after hearing the tale. “Here.” Elrohir lifted his blankets and allowed his brother to crawl in and huddle underneath. “Sleep, I will keep watch and nothing shall harm you.” He softly whispered, easing his brother’s troubled mind.

Elladan snuggled beneath the covers and deeply sighed. He found it easier to sleep in his brother’s chambers rather then his own, and he was not sure as to why. He slowly fell deep asleep.

Elrohir sat there and watched as his brother’s breathing evened out into sleep and he finally got up from his bed. He wandered over to his chair, after grabbing himself a glass of wine and sat there quietly until the sun rose casting the room into a bright haze. He looked up from his glass of wine, and felt his eyes drift over to his brother’s sleeping form. He slowly smiled as he watched. Shaking his head, he rose from his chair putting his goblet down. Sighing he went to his wardrobe and retrieved his favorite tunic and breeches. But as he pulled them out he wondered if his father had plans for them to attend court on this day. Shrugging he quickly dressed himself and pulled the drapes aside to glance outside. The youngest elflings were already awake and running around in the gardens playing a game of hide and find. Chuckling at them he turned and decided to bring his brother breakfast before starting their day.

Elladan awoke as he heard an audible click of the door shutting, and he sat up stretching. Glancing around he saw that once again he had found his way into his brother’s room, and sighed frustrated. Flopping back onto the soft down pillows and lay there for some time, and heard a click of the door opening.

“Ah, I see you have awakened.” Elrohir smiled brightly, entering his room with a tray of food. He placed it onto his table and waved his brother over. “Come eat, refresh your tired body. I even brought your favorite.” Elrohir grinned broadly holding up a large cup of steaming liquid.

Elladan’s nose caught sent of the contents of the cup and quickly scrambled from the bed. “Coffee!” He exclaimed. “Oh you know me too well brother.”

Elrohir chuckled as the cup was taken from his grasp and gulped back quickly.

“Have you eaten already?” Elladan asked placing his now empty cup on the table.

Elrohir shook his head. “No, but I brought enough for both of us.”

Elladan smiled mischievously, and looked at the tray. “You did?”

Elrohir gaped. “Yes I did you oaf, do not tell me you can eat all this by yourself, and do not even try to eat my share.”

Elladan grinned and sat down pulling his plate off the tray. “Do you think we should join father for breakfast?”

Elrohir shrugged. “I do not think he is awake yet, and I am far too hungry to wait until he does.” He followed his brother’s example and seated himself. Both twins ate silently, and then wandered from the rooms to the main halls.

“Will father start our punishment today you think?” Elrohir questioned his brother, as he flipped through a book.

Elladan shrugged his shoulders and looked up from his sketching. “Perhaps.” He lowered his head again glancing out the window from time to time, and then back at his artwork.

“What are you drawing?” Elrohir asked looking up from his book.

“The elflings outside.” Elladan smiled briefly before lowering his head once again to catch a few lines.

Both twins looked up as the halls doors opened. “Good morning father.” They chorused together.

“Good morning. Have you been up long?” Lord Elrond asked.

“Perhaps a few hours.” Elrohir nodded.

“How are you feeling?”

Elrohir smiled. “I am feeling fine. Well rested.”

Elrond nodded.

“Elladan has been having his dreams again.” Elrohir said quietly, earning himself a dark look from his brother.

Elrond raised his eyebrows. “Really?” He turned and looked at his eldest whose cheeks had gone a slight shade of pink. “How long since they started up again?”

Elladan glanced up from his drawing. “I do not wish to talk about it.”

Elrond sighed, and poured himself a cup of tea. “Is it the same dream?”

Groaning, Elladan put is paper down. “Yes! The same one that has haunted me since childhood.” He got up and walked angrily over to the table and poured himself another cup of coffee.

“Do not be angry.” Elrond held up his hand. “When it comes to you two, I like to hear about what is going on.”

Elladan sighed in resignation. “I am sorry, father.” He shook his head. “I only wish that I could sleep a full night without having these dreams. Most nights I find my way into Ro’s rooms and find peace and comfort there.”

Elrond nodded and glanced at his youngest son in question. Elrohir nodded, and shrugged. “Well, let us go out into the gardens and enjoy this day, while it is quiet. Tomorrow you two will begin your punishment.” Elrond led the way outside and they spent the day soaking up the sun, talking lightly, until their mother joined them with a basket.

“I heard you were out here. I thought you might be hungry.” The twins jumped up from the seated position and raced over to her, one taking the basket the other guiding her over to their father’s side.

The day was spent in peace as the Peredhil family rested, and laughed. For the twins it was a good day. One of which they missed greatly since childhood. Elrohir lay back in the sun and smiled at the sounds of his brother’s light laughter, and his father and mother bantering back and forth. He wished everyday were like this. But those days were becoming shorter and less frequently then he knew.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List