Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Twin Mischief  by Cierah

Chapter Eleven

Elrohir sat up quickly letting out an audible gasp. He glanced around him curiously, and realized that he was in his chambers, the afternoon light drifting into the room through sheer silk curtains. Frowning his mind drifted back to the dark forest and he felt himself shiver. He drew in a deep breath and pushed his legs to the side of his bed. Placing both feet onto the cool tiled floor, he was about to stand up when his door opened and revealed his father.

“Back into bed.” Elrond commanded.

Elrohir smiled. “But I am in bed father, I was attempting to get out of bed.”

The elf lord frowned. “Nice try, I want you to lie back down. You are not yet fully healed and you need rest.”

Groaning, Elrohir lifted his legs back onto his soft mattress and covered them with the large blue intricately crafted quilt. “I feel fine father, I wish to see how the others are faring.”

Elrond shook his head and pointed to the pillow, earning himself another groan and an elf flopping ungracefully back onto the pillows. “Your brother is fine, he was here all night, but left this morning. Are you hungry?”

Elrohir nodded. “How about the Mirkwood family?”

Elrond shook his head sadly. “I am sure with time they will recover from this tragedy.”

Elrohir closed his eyes. “So he died then?”

The elf lord nodded. “There was nothing I could do. Rest, stay in bed and I will return shortly with food for you.” Elrond turned and walked out of the bedroom.

Elrohir waited until the door snapped shut when he pushed the blankets down off his legs, he was about to shift his legs around off the bed when the door opened quickly.

Stay in bed!” The door closed again.

“Ahhh!” Elrohir growled. He kicked his legs and the comforter fell onto the floor in a piled heap. He lay there in his nightclothes and waited. And waited, and yet waited some more. “What have I done to deserve this?” He asked no one, sitting up he reached over to the small table pouring himself a glass of water. Sighing he gulped down the clear cool liquid and quickly finished.

The door opened and a head peered around the corner. “Ah, you are awake.” It was his brother.

“Finally someone to converse with. Have you seen father?” Elrohir said his heart lifting happily.

“Yes, and he asked me to bring you this.” Elladan smiled and swung the plate with him through the door.

Elrohir’s stomach growled with anticipation at the smells that drifted into the room. He chuckled lifting his eyes to his brother’s.

“That hungry are you?” His brother laughed, placing the plate down at the small table by the fireplace. Elladan knelt beside the fire and gathered the small flint and some tinder to start a fire. Once it was roaring furiously, Elladan stood and waved his brother over. “Come, sit and eat before you start looking at me with those eyes.”

Elrohir all to happily obliged. He swung his legs over the edge of the bed, and stood up. But he quickly fell back down onto the mattress. He placed his hand to his forehead and took a deep breath. The wave of dizziness left, but he remain sitting.

Elladan watched all of this with concern, and walked over to the bed sitting himself beside Elrohir. “Ro? Are you alright?” He placed his hand on his brother’s shoulder.

The younger of the twins nodded hesitantly. “A little dizzy I am afraid.”

“Let me help you.” Elladan stood and held out his hand for his brother to take.

“I am not an invalid.” Elrohir’s eyes flashed.

“I am not saying you are, but you need to eat. I am only trying to help.” Elladan slowly smiled.

Taking a deep breath, Elrohir nodded and grasped his older twin’s hand and was pulled up and held on to with great strength. Elladan guided his brother slowly over to one of the plush cushioned chairs and he sat down gratefully in front of the plate of steaming potatoes and fresh bacon, eggs, and his favorite, griddlecakes.

Elladan sat on the other chair, watching amused as his brother devoured the food quickly and without a word. Elladan tilted his head back and rested it against the chair back and waited until his brother broke the silence.

“Oh that was delicious. I heard you were here all night. Did you sleep?” Elrohir quickly asked earning himself a chuckle from his brother.

Elladan lifted his head and nodded. “I slept a little. I awoke with the light of dawn.”

Elrohir raised his eyebrow. “Why is it you always sleep in my room and hardly sleep in your own?”

“Because your room is different then mine.” He grinned flashing bright white teeth.

Elrohir shook his head. “Of course it is different, it is my room.”

Elladan’s smile faltered. “If it bothers you that much I will refrain from wandering in here at night.” Elladan cast his eyes downward.

Elrohir sighed. “It is not that.” He reached across the table and placed his hand on his shoulder. “Sometimes I wish to wake alone, do you not feel that way at times?”

Elladan lifted his head and looked into his brother’s eyes. He nodded. “I am sorry.”

Elrohir groaned. “Stop that Ella!” He chastised. “You know I appreciate your company. I would not have it any other way.” He paused his memories flooding back to their childhood. “Remember the first day mother and father moved us into separate rooms?”

Elladan smiled, his face lighting up a little. “I remember how upset we were.”

“You would wander into my room nightly, and curl up onto my bed. Remember father’s reaction finding us always together even in sleep?”

“I felt alone, I only wanted to be near you. It felt safer, plus I always had those dreaded night mares.”

Elrohir nodded. “Do you still have them?”

Elladan glanced away from his brother’s penetrating gray eyes and slowly nodded. “Sometimes. Not as often as I did when we were younger.”

“Have you talked to father about them?”

Elladan shook his head. “They are my dreams and I must work through them on my own.”

“Always stubborn.” Elrohir breathed.

“Remember the names we used to call each other?” Elladan smiled again, the dreams momentarily forgotten.

Elrohir laughed. “What was it I called you? Clover leaf?”

Elladan howled. “Oak breath!” He lifted his fingers and wiped the tears in his eyes. Elladan shook his head. “Would you like some wine?” He asked standing.

Elrohir nodded chuckling. He leaned back in his chair and crossed his ankles. “Remember all the trouble we made for ourselves?”

“I remember all the times we almost got ourselves killed.” Elladan frowned pouring two goblets of wine. He wandered back to the table and sat down passing a glass to his brother, who took it gratefully.

“We did have many dangerous adventures.” Elrohir agreed taking a sip.

“We now have another to add to those.” Elladan grimaced. He shook his head. “However this one turned out to be a deadly lesson.”

Elrohir nodded his head. “Very true. How are they anyway?”

“I have not seen them since yesterday. I believe they are departing this evening.”

Elrohir sat up. “What?”

Elladan nodded his head sadly.

Groaning, Elrohir sat back shaking his head. “I hope they do not think ill of us.”

“It was not entirely our fault. Has father informed you of our punishment?”

“Oh, no!” Elrohir exclaimed. “Please tell me.”

“We are to rebuild the stables and train last years fouls, I am sure he will have us train this years also.” Elladan moaned.

“Remember the first time the stables fell?”

“All to well, brother mine.” Elladan smiled sadly. “I remember the trouble we got into that night.”

“Remember how furious father was with Figwit?”

Elladan nodded. “Yes, and remember the problems that arose? I remember Erestor and Figwit both being taught a lesson for their constant bickering.”

The doors to Elrohir’s chambers opened and revealed Elrond. “I thought I told you to stay in bed?” He raised an eyebrow.

“But, father! I didn’t want to get crumbs in my bed.” Elrohir protested.

Elrond smiled fondly. “You two are more trouble then you realize.” Elrond walked into the room and pulled up a chair beside the table seating himself comfortably. He turned his head to his eldest. “Get your tired old father a glass of wine?”

Elladan grinned and stood up to get one for Elrond. Walking back, he passed it to his father and sat back down in his chair.

“As soon as you are on your feet, Elrohir, I am sure you already know of your task for the rest of the summer?” Elrond earned himself a nodded of acknowledgment. He sipped at his wine with his sons all three watching as the sun lowered in the sky. Finally, Elrond stood and walked to the door. “I must bid the elves of Mirkwood a safe journey. They will have wishes to bury their son, and to grieve without any distractions.”

“Give them our condolences father.” Elrohir said sadly. Elladan nodded.

Elrond smiled briefly and closed the door behind him. “Those two have so much to learn yet.” He murmured to himself as he walked down the halls. Silently he glanced out the window and prayed to the Valar that both his sons were safe and that he was fortunate enough to have them home.

Meanwhile in the bedroom, Elladan helped his brother back into bed, and glanced around him curiously. “Where are your blankets?”

Elrohir chuckled. “Other side of the bed.” He pointed and laughed. “I kicked them off in frustration.”

Elladan grinned and walked around the side of the bed and flung it onto his brother. “Tuck yourself in.”

“Will you tell your children that when they are ill?” Elrohir smirked.

“Ro?”

“Yes?”

“Go to sleep.” Elladan cuffed his brother on the side of the head.

In mock hurt, Elrohir grabbed his head. “Ouch, that hurt.”

“Oh, for the love of the Valar!” Elladan reached down and pulled the blankets over his brother tucking his feet under. “Better?”

Elrohir grinned. “Can you fluff my pillow?”

Elladan grabbed his pillow and hit his brother with it. “Good night, Ro.”

“Good night Ella.” Elrohir smiled and snuggled under the blankets.

Before Elladan could open the door his brother whispered. “Ella?”

Turning around he looked at the bed. “Yes?”

“Can you sleep in here tonight?”

Elladan laughed lightly. “Later, I will return. Go to sleep.”

Elladan shook his head as he closed the door behind him. He wandered down the halls silently, lost in his own thoughts; he did not notice the orange tinge the sky turned as he wandered the halls. Their adventure was far from over.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List