Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Twin Mischief  by Cierah

Epilogue

Elrohir walked across lavender filled fields, following a small path that lay before him. The grass shone off a light purple color with the sun that slowly set in the west, as he walked he felt at peace. The birds sang overhead, and the song that filled the sky filled his heart with joy. He walked through the knee length grass, his heart flying in tune with the song of the Valar, and he smiled. He laughed, his whole being felt as though it would burst from the joy and happiness that lingered around his tired form. Flinging his arms out and lifting his head to the sky, he broke out in song, his voice mingling with those of the birds. He turned around feeling a slight shake of the shoulder. Seeing no one in sight he sighed. Was it time to wake already? He thought to himself.

He grumbled. “Not here.”

He heard light laughter.

“In a purple field, leave me alone.” He mumbled turning his body over on the plush mattrice, trying and willing himself to go back to sleep.

“Purple field?” A voice asked.

Elrohir focused his eyes and turned his head to glance over his shoulder at the one who disturbed him. His gray eyes met glittering blue ones filled with mirth. Groaning, he rolled onto his back, sighed then sat up.

“Is it morning?” Elrohir asked rubbing his eyes.

“Aye, and a bright morning it is.” Elrond chuckled.

“Why is it morning comes so quickly when I am having a good dream?” Elrohir grumbled.

Elrond smiled. “Purple fields?” He asked again.

“It is my dream.” Elrohir winked. “My purple field. I will share it with no one.” He paused. “Well perhaps, Elladan.” He shrugged, and rose from his bed.

“Meet me down in the dinning hall in an hour, after you have gotten dressed.” Elrond got up from his son’s bedside and wandered to the door. “I would not wear any of your good tunics today, however.” He warned and slipping out the door.

Frowning in confusion he shrugged again and wandered over to the water basin in the corner. He dunked his hands in and splashed his face. He smiled to himself, remembering his dream as he retrieved an old worn tunic, and breeches. A knock caused him to turn and peek at the door as it slowly opened.

“Good morning, Ro.” Elladan smiled broadly.

Elrohir grinned. “Let me guess, father woke you also?”

“You know how he is, when our punishments are about to start.” Elladan walked in and took in his brother’s garb. “I remember that tunic.” He smiled.

Elrohir glanced down at it, and nodded. “It has been a long time since I have pulled it from the chest. He frowned after a moment. “Oh, NO!”

Elladan raised his eyebrows. “What?”

“We have to start the stables today?” Elrohir moaned, sitting on a chair.

Elladan laughed musically. “Yes, our days of play are over for the time being.”

Elrohir lifted his head, but smiled broadly. “Perhaps not.”

The twins lowered their heads closely together, in soft-spoken plans.

Elrond lifted his head as the hall doors opened revealing his wayward son’s. “Come sit and eat, then it is time for you to begin your days work.” He waved his hands over the table filled with food.

Both boys eagerly sat and ate to their hearts content, while the elf lord of Rivendell watched amused. When they were finished, they followed their father out the arched doorway and into the gardens. The walked in silence listening to the sounds of the birds and nature as they walked towards the stables.

The three lords turned the corner, and Elrond and Elladan spun around as a loud groan reached their ears.

“We have to rebuild that?” Elrohir complained looking at the old stables that had fallen long ago.

“I think that it is time we have this one.” Elrond grinned remembering the night that it had crashed to the ground. “Perhaps once it is rebuilt, we may use it for our steeds.” Elrond nodded.

The twins frowned looking at the burnt wood, and the mustiness of the old stables. Chagrined they wandered forward and began their long days of work.

Elrond walked onto his balcony midafternoon, hearing a muffled curse drift into his chambers. He stood looking over the edge, watching his son’s as they worked endlessly, on the removal of the old wooden boards that had once supported the stables. He slowly smiled as he felt arms wrap around his middle, turning his head slightly, he leaned into his wife’s embrace.

“Do they look tired?” She whispered.

He nodded, and turned around wrapping his arms around his beloved wife. “Come let us go down and prepare for our guests.” He kissed her forehead.

She nodded and both wandered out of their chambers silently. The messengers from Bree were arriving sometime this day, with news from the dúnedain regarding the lands that lay outside the protective boarders of Rivendell. Elrond was also waiting for Mithrandir who was going to take a look at the dead woods on the boarders.

Elrohir grunted at the weight of the plank that he held. “Would you mind aiding me with this?”

Elladan nodded tiredly, placing the water jug down. He picked up one end and pulled it up. Both brother’s tossed it into the wagon. Sighing, Elrohir wiped his brow; he leaned against a wooden pillar heavily. To his surprise it moved slightly. He glanced up wrinkling his brow confused.

Elrond stood in his council room speaking with his guests, one was Dírarnith, a dúnedain from the north and the other was from the south. Elrond had still yet to catch his name. There were others, but more as guards, then to attend the council. They watched silently on the side as their companions relayed their messages. Elrond sat on his chair his fingers pinching the bridge of his nose as he listened. This was not going as planned.

Elrohir stepped back to glance up at the top of the pillar, something sat in the shadows above. He lifted his hand to block the sun from his eyes, trying to make out the item above. “Ella, take a look at this.”

Elrond stood up from his chair and started pacing back and forth. The news that was being relayed was disturbing him and he needed to find a way to end it before it got out of control. Before he lost his control. Something he rarely did, especially in front of guests, and that is what they were. His guests. He groaned to himself as he listened to their quiet arguments. Shaking his head he turned. “Enough. Perhaps we should retire this council and start a new tomorrow.”

Elladan walked to his brother’s side. “What in Arda’s name is that?” He asked squinting his eyes to clear his view of the item above. He gasped when the thing a top the pillar tilted and rocked.

Elrohir stood still as he watched the bucket tilt and finally tumble from the perch and fly to the ground. In his mind he had more time to react. The bucket fell slowly, as though it were stuck in honey as it fell. Elladan quickly stepped back as it flew to the ground. He watched in horror as his twin stood there frozen in place, and was not able to let his warning pass his lips before it hit the ground in front of his brother.

Elrond shook his head, sharing a glass of wine with his guests, now that they paused the council. They sat there laughing, telling tales of journeys and battles, and it eased Elrond’s mind as he listened.

Elrohir stood there his mouth agape and his arms hanging at his sides, still in shock. Gulping he stepped forward and tore the small white parchment stuck to the side of the bucket. Opening it, he read aloud. “I hope that this leaves you with sweet moods, that even bees will take to you. Gleefully, Legolas.” Crunching the paper in his fist he turned to his brother who stood there laughing at him. In an embarrassed fury, he jumped forward and tackled his brother who let out a gasp of surprise.

Both brothers’ fell into the mud, wrestling with each other.

Elrond howled. “I remember you raced away in terror at the sight of orcs when you were a youngster.”

“I was not terrified.” The man protested. “I was frightened momentarily when they emerged from the trees.”

Elrond shook his head. “You were terrified.” He started to feel a little bit light headed, from the wine he had indulged. It was always so, when the men visited his homelands, or when he visited their’s. He always drank too much, and found his head sore after the long nights of bantering, and jokes. He lifted his head slightly, as faint voices drifted into the council hall. They were arguing voices. Frowning he stood up and walked over to pour another glass, thinking it was only his wine induced state.

Then to his horror the doors slammed open to reveal his two son’s standing there covered in mud. Opening his eyes wide he gaped at the sight of them, he sniffed and detected a hint of something else that he could not quite place over all the mud.

“What in Varda’s name happened to you two?”

Elrohir narrowed his eyes at his brother, who still laughed. The younger son of Elrond stood covered from head to toe in dripping mud, while his older twin stood slightly dirty. Elrohir’s hair was caked with mud as were his clothes, and to other’s they appeared to be as different as night and day. His face was covered fully with the black filth, and his feet squelched when he walked, causing Elladan to laugh harder. The only thing that was seen on the younger twin were his eyes, which stood out stark white and gray against the mud. Elrond hid his smile behind his hand coughing.

“Please ask a young prince of Mirkwood when you see him.” Elladan gasped between laughs.

Elrohir glared at his brother. “Funny.”

Elrond shook his head. “Why is it, after a day spent outside, I see you always covered with mud?”

Elrohir turned his head and shifted his glare over to his father.

“You look like a mud monster.” Elladan howled, causing Elrond to chuckle amused at his son’s.

“Both of you go get cleaned up.” Elrond shook his head seating himself in his chair once more. Tonight was going to prove to be an interesting night indeed. Knowing both twins’ they would be ecstatic with the arrival of Mithrandir, which would lead to more trouble.

He watched as both boys turned and exited the room, and caught sight of Elrohir flinging his arms around his brother’s neck as Elladan closed the door, grunting as the door snapped closed. He heard through the closed doors, laughing and curses, and the slight racing of feet, and could only picture both boys running down the halls, one away from his brother and the other after him.

“A long night indeed.” Elrond whispered. He gulped down his glass of wine and decided that he was not wanting to be fully aware of the trouble his twin’s would cause, so decided to pour himself another glass, until there was no more left to pour.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List