Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Twin Mischief  by Cierah

Chapter Ten

His heart lurched at the sight before him, the horrible screeching filling his delicate ears with a piercing blood curdling pitch that caused him to want to drop everything in his hands and cover the small sensitive lobes. However fate did not allow him to, as he watched in horrifying terror as his brother fell before him. With a fury he had never experienced in his short life, he cried out all his fear, anger, terror, joy and love and filled them into his attacks. The only discernable word out of his mouth was his brother’s name.

RO!” Elladan cried swinging his long sword at the creature as it prepared to finish his attack on the younger elf. The banshee whirled around and those misty hands passed through Elladan’s sword arm, causing it to go numb and his sword fell uselessly to the ground. Panic filling his soul, Elladan reached behind his back and pulled out two short swords sheathed tightly to his lower back. He twirled them in his hands and blocked any further attacks from the shade, dancing avoiding the swings to his body.

He felt cold, his body slowly covering in small bumps his father called ice bumps, caused by fear and cold. The feeling washed over him like a wave on the great Outer Sea, causing him to shiver involuntarily. He glanced over his shoulder briefly trying to catch sight of his brother, and saw his crumpled form on the ground unmoving.

RO!!” Elladan cried again. Memories of Galen flashed through his mind as he fought the banshee, and he feared the worst. The banshee swung a transparent arm at him, and he ducked avoiding the blow.

Elrohir groaned, regaining consciousness. He slowly rolled onto his back and groaned louder at the protest of his muscles. The sounds around him were muffled as he turned his head to the side looking for his twin. He saw his brother’s mouth move but heard no sound. Frowning, he sat up placing his hand to his head as he did so. His head felt like it was stuffed with cotton, and he shook it trying to clear the fuzz that lingered. Elrohir opened his mouth to inform his brother of his progress, but nothing came out. Stunned he tried again, and a small squeak escaped. He quickly put his hand over his mouth horrified.

He gathered his knees and slowly regained his footing, his bones creaking with the attempt. Stumbling a bit he finally placed both feet on the ground, and reached over his shoulder for his bow notching an arrow to the string. Aiming for a fraction of a second, he released and caused the shade to spin around furiously at the faint whistling sound that filled the night air. The distraction was enough for Elladan to turn his head seeing his brother, and his eyes filling with instant relief. But also enough for both twins to speed off into the thicker part of the dead woods.

Elrohir ran dizzily behind his older brother, but kept his feet about him as he twisted his head to see where the banshee had gone. Seeing no signs of the fearsome shadow, Elrohir called out for his brother. Instantly, Elladan stopped and sprinted back towards his younger twin.

“Sweet Eru, I thought you were seriously hurt.” Elladan whispered, easing his arm around his brother’s shoulders.

Elrohir nodded. “I think I am injured more then we suspect, Ella.” He gasped. “My chest hurts, and I am faintly dizzy.” He shook his head, trying once again to clear the fog. “Galen? The others?” He asked.

Elladan sighed. “Legolas and Erysyn are with Galen, they are on the outskirts of the forest. Come, we must escape these dreadful woods.” He whispered frantically, as the screeching grew louder. “We are hunted still.”

Elrohir nodded weakly. “Go, I shall be alright. I will not risk hurt to you, because of my lack of strength.”

Varda! You cannot be serious.” Elladan growled. “I will not leave you to those creatures, so get that thought out of your head.” Elladan narrowed his eyes glancing at his brother’s face. Elrohir’s face was white, his eyes darkened by circles, and his pupils were heavily dilated from either lack of sleep, and injury or both. “You do not have much strength to continue on your own, you need my assistance.”

Elrohir snorted, but nodded.

The two brothers stumbled through the forest, hearing their pursuers not far behind, and they both prayed that they would escape the clutches of the woods.

Legolas knelt beside his brother’s still form, silently crying both from grief and fear. Not once in his short life had he experienced death, or such hate, and it dug deep into his soul. Erysyn sat silently, deep in his own thoughts. Legolas had attempted to gain some form of comfort from his older brother, but Erysyn appeared lost in his own world, paying no heed to the youngest prince of Mirkwood. Legolas lifted tear stained eyes to the blue gray sky and whispered a prayer of hope for his brother, both his brother’s. He jumped fearfully as a loud screeching that was all too familiar to his small ears, echoed through the forest. He looked into the trees trying to catch a glimpse of any signs of the twins, but he feared the worst for them. He lifted his bloodstained hands to his face and wept, wishing his mother or father were there, to ease his worries.

Angrily he wiped the tears away and stood up. He wished his father had started his weapons training, but he was yet to reach the proper age for that. The only skills he possessed were concealment, silent hunting, and speed. Cursing silently to himself, he stooped down and pulled out his brother’s bow and arrows. He had spent years watching the hunters, and training. How hard could it be? Legolas strapped the quiver to his back, and frowned as the quiver slipped down his back. Adjusting the straps he shrugged the quiver back into place, and looked above him to the trees. Taking one last look at his brother’s he jumped into the branches climbing high for a perfect advantage point.

He heard shouts and the clashing of a sword, and he shivered. “Time to prove yourself more then a little elfling, Legolas.” He whispered to himself. Pulling out an arrow he notched it to the bow. He uncertainly sighted along the shaft, trying to make out a mark. Legolas pursed his lips and narrowed his eyes, which slowly came into focus unaccustomed to the new sighting he was attempting. Then, as he sat there for countless breaths, he finally saw the twins emerge from the deeper part of the trees.

Elrohir stumbled trying to stay on his feet, and his brother, Elladan had his sword drawn, and holding back the banshee’s that followed. Legolas lifted his head briefly. “More then one?” He hissed quietly. Lowering his head, he sighted once again, and shot his first arrow, which to his surprise flew straight to its mark.

The shade spun angrily at the arrow that passed through its chest. The shades paused looking around at this new attack and found nothing. They once again turned to the elves they did see.

Legolas quickly notched another arrow and released, the arrow flying to its mark. He shot arrow after arrow, until the twins had retreated safely from the trees, and he quickly climbed down to the forest floor.

Elladan glanced over surprised but turned his attention to his twin who had collapsed on the ground. “It appears they will not cross these trees. Perhaps we are safe for the time being.” Elladan murmured to no one in particular.

Legolas knelt beside Elrohir who was gasping for breath. “What is wrong with him?” He whispered fearfully.

Elladan shook his head not knowing himself.

Elrohir closed his eyes and whispered softly. “I am alright. Although breathlessness is unknown to me and an unwelcome experience. I will live.”

Elladan shook his head. “Father will check you once we are safe. He has some explaining to do.”

Legolas lowered his head sadly. “Father will be angry with us.”

Elrohir slowly sat up and placed his hand on his shoulder. “Nice shooting, I believe you saved Ella and myself from more harm. How long have you been in training for archery?”

Legolas gulped. “Never.” He whispered almost inaudibly.

The twins glanced at each other curiously. But they were distracted by the approach of hunters. Elrohir smiled wanly. “It’s father.”

Elladan nodded and stood up to meet the riders. He saw Thranduil, his father, Glorfindel, many other hunters, and he swallowed the lump that formed in his throat. Punishment was surely to come.

Elrond and the others dismounted and hurriedly tended to Elrohir and the others, mounting them onto horses. Thranduil walked forward and knelt beside his eldest son, and wrinkled his forehead. Taking a deep breath he lifted the crown prince into his arms and cradled him as he carried Galen to the horses. Elrond looked angrily at his sons and without a word to anyone they turned the horses and raced from the forest.

Elladan sat on the edge of his brother’s bed watching him as he slept. He had been given a pain reliever and a sleeping drought, so he was out for the remainder of the night, if not for the day that was slowly approaching. He slowly stood and walked over to the window and drew back the wispy silk coverings and glanced out into the gardens. His mind drifted back to all the times his brother had been hurt, or almost killed and the familiar feeling of anguish resurfaced. Resting his forehead against the window frame he felt tears well up and threatened to fall. Deep in his heart he knew that if his brother died, he would surely follow. Having a friend, who was your brother in blood and looks, it was impossible to imagine living without that bond.

He turned away from the window and walked back to the bed, but stopped when the door opened. His father entered, and walked over to him. “You should rest.” Was all his father said.

Shaking his head, he responded. “I cannot rest knowing that all this was avoidable. I know that we should have come to you when we discovered the Mirkwood princes missing. But deep in my heart I thought I could prove myself to you in some way.”

Elrond raised an eyebrow in question. “What would you have to prove to me, my son?”

Elladan shrugged pausing uncertainly. “Perhaps that I would one day be a worthy warrior, a respectable Lord, whom you would be proud to call your heir.”

Elrond shook his head, slightly amused. “Elladan, I am proud of you. Elrohir also. You both showed concern for others before yourselves, and great courage. True, this could have been avoided, but we cannot linger on that now. It is past us, and we must be strong for each other now.” He placed his hand on his son’s shoulder. “Remember this as a lesson, one I am certain you will not soon forget. Once Elrohir is on his feet, you and he will have lots of translations and scripts to attack.”

Elladan groaned. “I assume this is our punishment?”

Elrond shook his head. “No, but something you have to read, now that you have ventured into the dead woods. You are young yet my son, you have lots to learn and a long time to learn them, be not so eager to grow up and become a great warrior. That will come in time.”

Elladan watched as his father turned to the door and paused before exiting. “You and your brother’s punishment have already been decided. You both will work in the stables until they are rebuilt, and the fowls are full grown. Then you both will have the joys of breaking the fowls.”

Lowering his head, Elladan nodded. “Yes father.” Smiling to himself he once again sat down on the edge of his brother’s bed and lowered himself next to his twin. He rolled onto his back and slowly drifted off into





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List