Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Twin Mischief  by Cierah

Chapter Nine

Elrohir crouched down close to the ground as a soft faint wail reached his ears. He shivered and cast a worried glance at his brother who also knelt down keeping close to the ground for some sort of protection. Galen drifted over to them and whispered softly.

“What is this place?”

Elrohir shook his head. “I do not know, but there is evil here. I can feel its presence.”

Galen nodded once and cocked his head to the side slightly, listening to the sounds of the dead forest. “The trees warn us of this great evil. I keep hearing their whispered pleas to retreat from this place. Even in Mirkwood the evil does not affect the trees there. But here.” He wrapped his arms around his frame and held in the shudder that threatened to surface.

“Come.” Elladan hissed. “There are prints that lead in that direction.” He pointed deeper into the forest, where the light seemed to slip away entirely into darkness.

Elrohir looked above him trying to see some signs of the stars, but they also seemed to disappear into darkness as the moon refused to shed its light in this place. “All things good do not linger here. Look.” He pointed above him towards the black sky. “Even the light of the moon will not shine here.”

Galen glanced up and shook his head. “I do not like this place. Let us hurry and find my brothers so we can leave here.” Galen softly treaded through the dead leaves, no sounds coming from him as he walked.

“How far were you able to come in here before father caught you?” Elrohir asked as his eyes adjusting accordingly to the lack of light.

“Not as far as this. I barely made it past the first trees, when father caught me.” Elladan whispered.

The twins stood staying close to the ground as they walked deeper into the dead woods of Gur, followed closely by Galen, who seemed to be shaking so hard his body would fall apart.

“Valar!” He hissed. “I would not be able to hold my sword still if I were in a fight. What a dreadful place.”

Elrohir nodded slightly. They walked forward, each taking special care as to where they walked. The darkness seemed to fade as their eyes adjusted to the blackness of the forest, casting things in a faint bluish tinge. A faint cry reached their ears, causing them to still their motions, and cast wary glances at each other.

“That was Erysyn!” Galen hissed loudly. He broke into a dead run through the thin foliage, no longer caring about stealth.

“Galen stop!” Elladan cried. The twins broke into a run racing quickly after the crown prince of Mirkwood, going deeper into the forest then any other had ever traveled safely. “Galen!”

After a few moments of running they broke into a clearing, where the trees hung uselessly from their roots, the bark blackened as though from fire, and the leaves red as though from blood. The sight that greeted them was one none of them would ever forget. A ghost like figure hovered above the two frightened elves that the twins and Galen had been searching for. Erysyn held a small sword, and stood protectively in front of the youngest prince. His sword struck out time and time again at the ghost striking nothing but air as it passed through the form.

But still he held his ground as the evil being howled and screeched in protest. Fear shone on his face as he realized that magic was the only defense against this being.

Erysyn!” Galen cried dashing into the clearing. The ghost turned orange eyes to the crown prince who darted carelessly towards his brothers. Seeing a new opportunity, the banshee screeched holding it’s arms out towards the foolish prince.

Galen NO!” Erysyn hollered, holding his hand out trying to still his brother’s flight.

The shade held its hands out and a flash of light issued from behind the black creature, sending Galen crashing to the ground in a crumpled heap. The twins stood stunned as they witnessed the full force of the shadow before them.

Elrohir barked at the princes who still stood defenseless before the evil shade. “Get out of here, now!”

Elladan raced past his brother towards the still form of Galen and quickly checked for a pulse, keeping a wary eye on the banshee, who stood and watched silently. Elladan frantically searched for a pulse where one would not be found, and he lowered his eyes defeated. With a raged cry Elladan drew his sword and aimed it at the shadow before him, taking a battle stance.

“Ella!” Elrohir shouted a warning. The youngest twin raced to his brother’s side, his sword also drawn. “Let’s go, we cannot fight this thing.”

“I will not leave Galen here to this evil.” Elladan hissed between clenched teeth.

Elrohir glanced down quickly, and saw what his brother already knew. The crown prince of Mirkwood was dead, his eyes staring into nothing, his face holding the mask of shock. He swallowed and gripped his brother’s arm. “We will carry him.” He whispered tightly.

Elladan watched as the two younger princes retreated around the clearing racing towards the entrance of the forest. “We must move quickly, but also slow enough to not gain attention of this shadow.”

Elrohir nodded, taking a step back holding his sword before him. The banshee screeched again in anger as Elladan reached down picking up the still form of Galen. Slinging the limp form over his shoulder, he turned and darted into the protective shielding of the trees. Quickly followed by Elrohir, whose eyes never left the shadows form, which now started its pursuit. He turned in mid air and fled after his brother’s retreating form, glancing over his shoulder watching as the shadow disappeared. He let out a sigh of relief as he ran, but he lifted his head as he realized that the banshee was now in front of them waiting for one of them to make their mistake.

“Ella, to the trees!” Elrohir shouted. “Leave Galen or we will not make it out of here.”

Elladan shouted back angrily. “I will not.

Elrohir felt his eyes widen as the shadow materialized right in front of his brother. “Elladan!” He cried. Elladan spun away from the shade, causing it to howl in outrage following the being that carried his kill.

Elrohir was so intent on watching his brother he did not notice that another shade followed close behind him, until it screeched in response to its partner up a head. The young elf turned his head startled, causing his feet to slip on the rotten leaves on the ground. With a yelp he slammed into the earth. The shade hovered above him; it’s orange eyes scanning over his lithe form. Elrohir held his breath, his skin becoming clammy as he felt those dead eyes drift over him hungrily.

He drew in his breath sharply, willing his body to move. Finally he rolled to the side, and scrambled to his feet starting his race once again. Elrohir felt the air knocked out of him as he slammed against the trunk of a tree. Dazed he lifted his head and glanced over his shoulder seeing the banshee making another attack at his prey. He rolled to the side, just as the attack came shattering the trunk. Gasping he quickly sprung to his feet, darting away from the shadow.

Elrohir was knocked once again off his feet, and he groaned painfully as he felt his ribs crack from the impact with another tree. He lay still as the shadow advanced. He prayed to the Valar silently as the creature came closer. Fear entered the young elf’s heart as he saw the death and victory in the banshee’s eyes. Elrohir hissed loudly. “You will not take me without a fight. Evil will not defeat me!” He rose to his feet and held out his sword in fear and anger.

The banshee hovered watching intently at its prey. Elrohir heard a shout and a crash through the trees. He kept his attention on the beast, as the shadow held his own on him. Both stood still, anger flashing in their eye, watching intently for any signs of weakness. The shadow reached out a hand and it passed through Elrohir’s chest, and the elf screamed at the cold he felt through that death like hand. All awareness left the younger of Elrond’s sons; he fell to his knees gasping for air as he felt his lungs squeezed by the banshee.

He felt his lungs heave for air, as he was finally released. He fell forward his hands gripping the earth. He lazily looked over at the sounds beside him as he witnessed his brother and the monster now in battle. Darkness entered his mind quickly and the last thing he saw was his brother’s pale frightened face.

Elrond mounted his horse and raced with a horde of guards towards the woods that he once remembered promising never to enter again. His promise was null and void if his children or those of others were in danger. He heard Thranduil barking orders at the men behind him as Elrond prayed to the Valar to keep the elflings safe, but the fear that entered his heart kept him wary at what he felt he would find.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List