Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Force of Nature  by shirebound

This chapter references “Estel’s Birthday”, chapters 2, 5 and 8.

 

FORCE OF NATURE

Chapter 12 – A New Understanding

“Elves began it, of course, waking trees up and teaching them to speak and learning their tree talk.”  ‘Treebeard’,  The Two Towers

 

“Mummy said I could wide the pony!  And I did!”

A very excited Pippin ran to Merry, laughing as his older cousin whirled him around.

“Did you really?” Merry asked, settling the tot in his arms.  “Did you help Estel ride all the way here?”

“Mm hm,” Pippin murmured.  He had suddenly realized that Frodo was sitting between two strangers... two really big strangers.  He clung tighter to Merry.

“It’s all right, Pip,” Frodo said with a smile.  “This is Halbarad and Thalguron.  They’re... Estel’s cousins, the way we’re cousins, and you and Merry are cousins.”  He had no idea how the two men were related to Aragorn, but Thalguron had told him that all the Rangers were kin, in one way or another.  Aragorn nodded in approval as he took down several bulging packs attached to Arthad’s saddle.

“Oh.”  Pippin eyed the two brothers, who had been staring at him.  First a tiny pup, and now a tiny halfling... Thalguron wondered what else might pop out of the grass unexpectedly.

“Thalguron, Halbarad... this is Pippin.” Frodo said.

“Are you huwt?” Pippin asked suddenly.  He slid down from Merry’s arms and came over to Halbarad.  He studied the man’s foot intently, fascinated by the large, bare toes, and splinted and wrapped ankle.  “Do you need a nap?”

“He does need a nap,” Aragorn chuckled, coming to join the small group under the tree.   He held several bags and packets.  “Halbarad, Merry’s father very generously gave me the herbs and tonics I need.  I’ll be in the kitchen, preparing something for you.”

“Thank you,” Halbarad said.  He met Pippin’s eyes.  “Hello, little one.  I am Halbarad.”

“Halbawad,” Pippin repeated.  Halbarad braced himself as Pippin touched one of his toes with a finger, but the touch was as gentle as a buttercup.

“Pippin’s mother and father were visiting Brandy Hall, and Pippin was quite distressed to find Merry gone,” Aragorn explained.  “Merry, your father was about to bring him out here for a visit when I arrived.”

“You must have impressed Paladin and Eglantine, Estel.” Bilbo hugged Pippin hello, and grinned up at Aragorn.  “They are not known for entrusting their only son to someone they barely know.”

“I was truly honored by their trust,” Aragorn said, “especially as I had spoken with them so briefly at Bag End.”  He looked at Bilbo and Frodo gravely.  “Merry’s family says that you have both spoken well of me.  Thank you.”  He bowed slightly, then smiled.  “And it certainly helped that Pippin was so happy to see me, and showed no fear.”  He set Pippin’s small carpetbag down on the grass, and Scamp immediately began to inspect it.

“Frodo,” Aragorn continued, “when I return with Halbarad’s tea, we can have that talk.  I know you’re anxious to show us your discovery.”  He looked closely at Frodo, who appeared tired, but much less pale.  The boy’s eyes were sparkling; Pippin’s enthusiastic arrival obviously delighted him.

“I’ll go with you to the kitchen, Estel; I need to start lunch,” Bilbo said.  “Merry, I could use your help.”

“I will assist you, as well,” Thalguron said.  He set aside the crutch which he was shaping and smoothing, and got to his feet.  “I’ve been lazing out here long enough.  It is nice to meet you, Pippin,” he said, smiling down at the boy before accompanying Bilbo and Merry to the house.

“Fwodo,” Pippin said, snuggling down next to his cousin, “do you need a nap, too?  You look sleepy.”

“I do feel sleepy,” Frodo admitted.  “Maybe we can nap together after lunch.”

“Not me,” Pippin announced.  “I want to see fwogs.”

Frodo grinned.  “Merry will take you to see them later, Pip.  They live in the stream near here.”

“And ducks?” Pippin asked hopefully.

“No ducks this time,” Frodo laughed, hugging his young cousin.  “Just fwogs.”

“Fwogs,” Pippin corrected, eliciting a chuckle from Halbarad.

Pippin suddenly leaped to his feet, and took off across the lawn after Scamp – who was racing away with a stuffed toy that she had pulled from Pippin’s bag.  Frodo and Halbarad watched as the pup, recognizing a new and exciting game, darted back and forth just out of the giggling child’s reach.

“Frodo,” Halbarad remarked, “Pippin has a most unusual accent.”

“It’s because he’s a Took,” Frodo explained.  “You won’t even notice it after awhile.”  The Ranger looked unconvinced.

Aragorn soon emerged from the house bearing a steaming cup.  Frodo wrinkled up his nose at the strange smell, but Halbarad gratefully drank down the tea, which was less bitter than he had feared.

“I didn’t want to sweeten it with all that honey,” Aragorn teased his friend, “but Bilbo insisted.”

“I must remember to thank him,” Halbarad smiled at his captain.

“Pip,” Frodo called out, “pretend you’re not interested in getting your toy back.  Just walk away, and Scamp will probably bring it right to you.”

When Bilbo, Thalguron, and Merry reappeared bearing trays of sandwiches and fruit, they found Pippin triumphantly clutching his slightly soggy toy, and chattering away to Halbarad, Frodo, and Aragorn about ducklings, ponies, and the new piglets that had been born at his father’s farm.  Scamp had moved on to a new pursuit – digging happily away near the woodpile.

As the merry luncheon progressed, Aragorn was relieved to see that Frodo finished his sandwich -- but from Bilbo’s frown, it was obvious that the lad normally ate a great deal more.  When everyone appeared to have eaten their fill, Bilbo leaned over and touched a gentle hand to Frodo’s face.

“I’m fine,” Frodo insisted, sighing when Aragorn also felt his brow.  “I’m just a little sleepy, that’s all.”

“You still have a very slight fever, my boy,” Bilbo said.  “It’s time for more rest.”

“I am resting,” Frodo insisted.  “I want to show everyone what I found near the bones.”

“You didn’t tell me you found bones,” Merry squirmed excitedly.

“Like chicken bones?” Pippin asked.

“Not exactly, Pip,” Frodo said softly.  He didn’t explain further, but drew the star clasp from his pocket.  “Scamp’s really the one who found this.”

“This is of ancient design,” Thalguron murmured, taking the heirloom from Frodo to examine.  He held it reverently for a moment, then passed it to Halbarad.

“It is mithril,” Aragorn told them.  “Frodo, you discovered a rare treasure from the very distant past.  The man who wore that clasp was noble and true, and is worthy of remembrance.”  He then proceeded to tell the group something of what the trees had related to him about the man who had fallen in the Old Forest, and their request to be respected.

“I told you all that?” Frodo asked, wide eyed.  “I don’t remember anything after leaving the house except whispers... and strange dreams.”

“The trees assured Bilbo and me that you were not being harmed by their communication, little one,” Aragorn said gently.  “I am relieved that you do not remember – the memories the trees related were vivid, and quite sad.”

Thalguron noticed that Halbarad was beginning to have trouble staying awake, and guided his brother to lie down.

“Come on, Pip,” Merry said, drawing his young cousin to his feet.  “I’ll show you the stream, and we can make some leaf boats.”  He lifted his young cousin onto his shoulders, then started toward the glade where he, Frodo, and Bilbo had been camping out.

“Would you like to nap out here, Frodo, or in the house?” Bilbo asked.

“Out here,” Frodo yawned, curling up next to Halbarad.  Bilbo smiled, and he and Aragorn began to gather up what was left of their luncheon.

Frodo looked up into the branches of the large, shady tree under which they had picnicked.  “Do you think it knows we’re here?” he asked suddenly.

“Perhaps,” Aragorn mused.  “I do not believe that all trees are fully awake, or able to communicate as did those in the Old Forest; however, who is to say what this one comprehends, or thinks of us?”

Frodo reached out and lay a gentle hand against the rough bark of the tree.  “Thank you for your shade, and for allowing us to rest here,” he whispered.

Long after Frodo and Halbarad had fallen asleep, Thalguron sat nearby, finishing the crutches and thinking hard about everything Frodo had said... and what Aragorn had related about the trees’ memories and awareness.  It was true that Halbarad’s impulsive action had resulted in injury and pain, and inconvenience to these Shirefolk, but it was also bringing both of them a new understanding of the beings with whom they shared Middle-earth.  The hobbits were much different than he had imagined.  And as for the trees... could they somehow be aware?  All of them?  Feeling a bit foolish, he, too, touched the tree, and bowed his head slightly... before leaving Frodo and Halbarad to their sleep.

** TBC **

Agape4Rivendell:  Thank you very much for reading.

Ainu Laire:  Yes, I fear the fluff is beginning to take over.  I don’t know why I’m always so surprised when it happens.

Amy:  Yes, those poor Rangers!  They’ve fought many a fierce enemy and won, but there is no defense against fluffy hobbits and puppies.

Anargil:  You’ll have to make do with three of your four favorite hobbits.  Sorry I can’t produce Sam for you!

Andrea:  I’m glad Merry is coming across as somewhat protective, even at such a young age.

Anso the Hobbit:  I agree!  What could be more cheery on a crutch than a sweet drawing (or several) from a sweet hobbit?

Auntiemeesh:  I’m not sure I could ever write a story where Frodo is long-suffering.  The fun, for me, is quickly getting to the ‘comfort’ part of ‘hurt/comfort’.

EllyBaggins:  Welcome back!  Your trip sounds wonderful.

Elven Kitten:  Thank you.

Elwen:  Poor Frodo (and the others) definitely deserve warm sunshine, cuddles, and all the TLC they can handle.

Heartofahobbit:  Thank you so much.  I’m very gratified to hear you say that Saradoc’s reaction to Aragorn seemed plausible.  That was a very delicate scene to write.

Larner:  Yes, I’ll leave the potty/paper training to those more courageous than myself!

Lily:  It’s fun to write Merry both as a mature, responsible lad, but also as a 12-year-old who blurts out what he’s thinking – like his cousin looking green!

lindahoyland:  I enjoyed writing the ‘suspicious rangers’ – I suspect that they would take very seriously the notion that Aragorn’s identity might be known by the wrong people.

lovethosehobbits:  There was no way the Rangers would leave Crickhollow without appreciating and loving hobbits!

Mariole:  It’s intriguing to find and write about subtle differences between one Ranger and another, or between the hobbits, or even trees!    They’re all learning about one another, and themselves.

moothril:  Thank you for your lovely words.  I’m happy you discovered this new story.

Pip4:  Yes, we’re veering into “cute” mode, aren’t we?  I just couldn’t help myself.

SlightlyTookish:  I never planned for Pippin to be in this story... how did he sneak in?  And thank you for enjoying Aragorn and Saradoc’s meeting.  I thought a lot about how they might speak with one another.

smalldiver:  It’s definitely fun seeing Pippin through the eyes of the Rangers!

The Hobbit Waffle:  Hooray for warm fuzzies!

Tigger:  We certainly can’t forget the ‘Tookish accent’!  That’s part of the fun of having Pippin meet new people.  “And the education of Rangers to trust the Shire continues”... indeed, that’s very nearly the theme for this whole series of stories: mutual trust.

Whispering Darkness:  I’m glad you were so delighted with our little visitor!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List