Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Force of Nature  by shirebound

This chapter references “Quarantined”, chapters 6 and 11; and “Estel’s Birthday”, chapter 8.

Virtual lollypops go to Andrea, Mews, pip4, and The Hobbit Waffle, for guessing (or hoping for) the person who shows up unexpectedly in this chapter!

 

FORCE OF NATURE

Chapter 11 – In Your Company

“Merry?”

Merry turned from where he had been drawing at the small writing desk, and grinned at his cousin.  “You’re awake!” he said delightedly to Frodo.  “Are you feeling better?”

Frodo took a deep breath, and let it out slowly.  The small bedroom was bright with sunlight, and, looking around, he saw that someone had fixed the broken latch on the window -- the curtains fluttered in the warm, gentle breeze that filled the room.

“Thalguron fixed it,” Merry explained.  “Goodness, you’ve slept through a lot, Frodo.  I helped Estel make breakfast, and Thalguron didn’t understand second breakfast at all, and Halbarad got restless and wanted to sit outside for awhile, and Bilbo wanted to take a walk and Estel is with him, and...”  He stopped for breath.  “Are you feeling better?  You still look a little green, but Bilbo said I shouldn’t worry too much.”

“Green, eh?” Frodo tried to smile.  He felt exhausted, like he had run ten miles in his dreams... which tumbled through his memory as disjointed, strange images of trees and voices and things that were quickly fading.  “I feel... tired, but not too bad.”  He frowned.  “Was I as sick as I remember?”

“You sure were,” Merry replied.  “I heard you throwing up, but then I think I fell back to sleep.”  His eyes grew wide.  “Do you remember trying to run away?  Thalguron had to grab you, and Scamp was really mad.”  He peered at his cousin.  “Where were you going?”

Frodo tried to remember everything.  “I recall getting really dizzy in the parlor, then feeling like I had to go back to the Old Forest.  I had to go back.  It was really strange.  I don’t remember too much after that, just... really odd dreams.”

“Well,” Merry said with relief, “you’re better now.  I don’t like it when you’re sick, Frodo.  You’re not supposed to ever be sick.”

“I’m sorry I frightened you,” Frodo said softly.  He knew that Merry worried about him, living all alone with Bilbo at Bag End without a big family to look after him.  “What are you drawing?” he asked, feeling a need to change the subject.

“Thalguron’s making a really nice set of crutches for Halbarad,” Merry said, hopping back onto the stool at the desk.  “I helped him find some branches, and they said I could decorate them if I wanted to after he finished carving them.  I’m trying to figure out what to draw.”

“How about trees?” Frodo asked, trying to sit up, then deciding it wasn’t that good an idea.  “It will remind Halbarad of the Forest he was so eager to see.”

“Trees...” Merry pulled out a fresh sheet of parchment and bent over it.  “Let’s see...”

*~*~*~*~*

“What is it?” Halbarad asked softly.  He sat under one of the large shade trees in the spacious front yard of Crickhollow, relieved to be under the wide sky once again.  Thalguron sat next to him, shaping a crutch with his sharp knife from a long, sturdy, forked branch.  Halbarad, his broken ankle tightly splinted and wrapped, and propped up on a pillow, worked at stripping the bark from a second branch.

“Aragorn is too trusting of the Shirefolk,” Thalguron murmured.  He watched his captain and Bilbo walking together a short distance away, with Scamp rolling about in the grass nearby.  He frowned as Aragorn knelt next to the hobbit and showed Bilbo his sword hilt; both were talking at a great rate, and Bilbo seemed to be taking notes.

“So that is why you said your foster-father named you ‘Hope’,” Bilbo was saying.   He gazed at the ranger in understanding.  “You carry a heavy burden, Estel... and a noble legacy.  I will keep your secret.”

“I know,” Aragorn smiled.  “And now that I have answered your questions... do you wish to discuss your concerns about Frodo?  I know his words from this morning were quite upsetting for you.”

“He’s always known that I am much older than his other relatives.  Why did it bother him suddenly?”  Bilbo sighed.  “Frodo’s parents drowned, you know, in the Brandywine -- a boating accident.  I think he must fear that someday I might not be here for him -- that I will suddenly leave him, as his parents did.”

“I suppose that every child has those fears,” Aragorn said gently.  “Frodo has more cause than many to be cautious about feeling fully safe and secure.  He certainly trusts you, and knows that you love him.”  He grew thoughtful.  “Sharing memories with trees -- whatever their age -- must have been quite a wonderful experience for him... nothing but endless time, and slow growth, and harmony amongst so many living things...”  He smiled at the hobbit.  “Do not worry, Bilbo; Frodo is just a normal boy... with extraordinary gifts.”

“Bilbo!” Merry’s high, excited voice suddenly called out from the bedroom’s open window.  “Frodo’s awake!  Can he eat, now?”

Aragorn suddenly realized that Thalguron was gazing suspiciously at Bilbo.  “Go on, I’ll join you in a moment.”

As Bilbo returned to the house, Aragorn walked over to the tree under which the brothers sat.  “What troubles you, Thalguron?” he asked firmly.

“Forgive me, Captain, for it is not my affair,” Thalguron said softly.  “Why do you reveal so much to these hobbits?  What if you choose the wrong ears in which to confide?”

“Bilbo Baggins is a most unique person,” Aragorn said, settling into the grass next to them.  “He has achieved and experienced things you do not realize, and has shown himself to be a person of very high quality.”

“There is so much at stake,” Halbarad sided with his brother.

“Yes, there is; yet there is much you both still need to understand about why we safeguard these lands,” Aragorn said quietly.  “Gandalf has entrusted the Shire and its inhabitants to those he trusts the most.  We must also learn to recognize trust when it is given to us, even by the most unlikely of people.”

“I respect your instincts, Captain,” Thalguron conceded, “but--”

“Bilbo has entrusted me with one of his greatest treasures, more than once -- Frodo’s health and safety,” Aragorn said quietly.  “That boy is quite special, my friends -- more than you know -- and trust from the trustworthy is one of the highest forms of respect.”  He smiled.  “I hope you leave here with a greater understanding of these folk, and what they mean to me.  Gandalf has not asked us to devote our time to the Shire on a whim, believe me.  And now...  I must see how Frodo is faring.”   He took a deep breath of the fresh air.  “We may bring him out here to rest with you, Halbarad.  Would you mind?”

“Not at all,” Halbarad said with a smile.  “He and I have shared a most unique experience; I would be greatly interested in hearing what he remembers, and letting him know that the worst is over.”  He closed his eyes for a moment as pain from his ankle flared up.

“I know the pain is severe,” Aragorn said.  “I will ride to a populous dwelling after I check on Frodo, to assure Merry’s family that he is well; it is but a few miles from here.  I hope to bring back some medicines that will make you more comfortable.”

“Captain,” Halbarad blurted out suddenly, “please do not dismiss me from your Company.”

“Why do you say that?” Aragorn asked gravely.

“I disobeyed orders by leaving my patrol,” Halbarad said, feeling ashamed.  “I told no one where I was going, and put lives in danger by doing so.  We have caused these hobbits great inconvenience, and...”

Aragorn nodded.  “Everything you say is true, Halbarad; however...” he motioned to the young man’s broken ankle.  “I believe you have learned a great lesson about impulsive behavior and its consequences.”

“I have,” Halbarad whispered.

“Then that is all that needs to be said on this matter.”

“Frodo asked us what we would do if Aragorn was a poor leader,” Thalguron said thoughtfully, watching their Captain walk back to the house.  “I do not think we will ever need to wonder about that.  Do you?”

“No,” Halbarad said gratefully.

*~*~*~*~*

“That is quite good,” Bilbo said admiringly.  “You have an artist’s touch, my lad.”  Merry beamed under his cousin’s praise of his drawings.  Bilbo ruffled the boy’s curls, then gave his attention to Frodo.

“What a strange night,” Frodo said wonderingly, as Bilbo sat next to him on the bed.  “I wanted to return to the Forest ever so badly, but I don’t quite remember why.”

“Do you remember being there?” Bilbo asked curiously.  “Estel and I took you on Arthad, and when you feel asleep, brought you back.  You slept very deeply, but woke up rather ill for a time.”

“I don’t really remember too much about it,” Frodo shook his head.  “Just strange dreams about trees and storms and getting sick on a boat...”

“Estel believes that the trees called you back to them,” Bilbo explained.  “You wandered in dreams until you returned to us.”

“Is it over?” Frodo asked anxiously.  “I feel so tired...”

“Halbarad described the same thing, upon waking in the Forest,” Aragorn said, entering the room.  “We believe that you are over the worst of it, Frodo.  Those thorns seem to have had quite a potent effect.”  He looked down at the boy.  “I am sorry you had such a bad experience, little one,” he said sadly.

“It wasn’t your fault,” Frodo said firmly.  “If Merry hadn’t found Thalguron, and if we hadn’t gone into the Forest with Scamp, Halbarad might still be lost out there!  Everything worked out just fine!”  He tried to sit up again.  “I’m still a little dizzy,” he apologized as Aragorn steadied him.

“You’re definitely green,” Merry announced.  “Isn’t he?”

“A day of rest is in order,” Bilbo said briskly.  “Would you like to sit outside with Thalguron and Halbarad?  It’s a truly lovely day.”

“Very much.  Is there any breakfast left?” Frodo asked hopefully.

“It’s nearly time for elevenses, but I suspect we can find you some crumbs,” Bilbo laughed.

“Merry,” Aragorn said to the boy, “I’m riding to Brandy Hall to let your family know that you are well and will be home in a few days... unless you wish to return now?”

“No!” Merry exclaimed instantly.

“Bilbo didn’t think so,” Aragorn smiled.  “While I am there, do you want me to return the gate key to your father?  I would tell him how fortuitous it was that you had it with you.”

Merry looked hopeful for a moment, then dropped his eyes.  “No,” he whispered.  “I took it, and I should return it.”

Aragorn was impressed by the child’s sense of responsibility.  He reached into a pocket, withdrew the key, and handed it to Merry.  “Keep it with you, then.”  He stood up.  “I should return in a few hours, Bilbo.”

“Estel, I found something in the Forest that I need to show you,” Frodo said suddenly.  “I forgot all about it until now.  Maybe your men might like to see it, too.”

“As soon as I return, we will closely examine what you found, Frodo, and have a good talk about last night.”  Aragorn smiled, and bent to give the boy a hug.  “I am overjoyed to see you feeling better.”

*~*~*~*~*

Saradoc Brandybuck hurried to the entryway of Brandy Hall when he received news of the visitor.

“Sir?  I am called Strider, also known to your cousins Bilbo and Frodo as Estel,” Aragorn said, bowing formally to the hobbit before him.  “At your service.”  The hobbit appeared dressed for travel, and a pony bearing several packs stood nearby in the courtyard -- next to a finely-appointed carriage, which looked familiar.

“And I am at yours, and your family’s,” Saradoc said, bowing in turn.  “Frodo has spoken of you, Estel.”  He grinned.  “Apparently, you made quite an impression on young Pippin Took, as well.  I have heard nothing but good things about you.”

”Pippin is a lively lad,” Aragorn said with a grin.  “He is as unforgettable as Frodo... and your son, Merry, whom I have now also met.”

“Have you?” Saradoc motioned to a nearby bench, where they both sat.  “Do you come from Crickhollow?”  He suddenly tensed.  “Is everything all right there?”

“There is no cause for worry,” Aragorn assured him.  He gave Saradoc a brief explanation of what had transpired since the previous morning.  “I assure you that Merry is well, and in no danger.  I hope you will not chastise him too severely for taking the gate key -- he has impressed us very much with his maturity and manners.”

“Thank you,” Saradoc smiled.  They spoke for awhile, and Aragorn got the distinct impression that the Master of the Hall was sizing him up -- and making up his mind about this unkempt Ranger in his courtyard.  He easily recognized where Merry got his intelligence and quick thinking.

After a few minutes, Saradoc looked up at the Ranger speculatively.  “Are you returning to Crickhollow, or continuing on?”

“At Bilbo’s invitation, and with your permission, my men and I will be staying at the guest house for several days,” replied Aragorn.  “Halbarad is not yet ready to travel.”

“Interesting...”  Saradoc grinned suddenly.  “As you can see, my pony is saddled; I was going to visit there today, to bring the lads some supplies... and a visitor.  Perhaps you can spare me a trip?”

“I am happy to deliver anything -- or anyone -- you wish,” Aragorn agreed.

Saradoc hopped off the bench.  “Please come inside for some refreshment.”

“A moment sir; I have a favor to ask of you, as well.”  Aragorn pulled a small bag from a pouch at his waist.  “If you can spare them, I wish to purchase several herbs and tonics from your stores; Halbarad is in great pain, and what I have been able to prepare for him is not--”

“Your coin is no good here,” Saradoc said firmly.  “Our debt to the Rangers is beyond repayment; whatever we have, is yours.”

“You honor me,” Aragorn said quietly.  “Let me explain what I need, and--”  He grinned suddenly at a small figure bounding toward him.  “Well, well, well,” he chuckled.  “What have we here?”

*~*~*~*~*

“He looks as shaky as you did, brother,” Thalguron said.  He quickly got to his feet, and hurried to the front door of the house where Frodo was emerging, supported by Bilbo and Merry.

“I can walk,” Frodo was insisting as Thalguron reached him.  “Just... not this fast.”

“Halbarad was equally weak after his night enspelled,” Thalguron said, crouching in front of Frodo.  “If you will permit it, I will carry you to him – my brother is most anxious to hear of your experience.”

“I don’t remember too much, but I’d enjoy talking with him,” Frodo nodded.  “I’ve hardly had a chance to get to know him.”

Thalguron lifted Frodo, and carried him gently to where Halbarad sat beneath the tree.  Scamp raced over with a stick in her mouth.

“The parlor is all straightened,” Frodo said, as Thalguron sat him down next to his brother.  “Why did you clean up, when you’ll be sleeping there again tonight?”

“Force of habit,” Halbarad laughed.  “Rangers are used to covering their tracks, and leaving little trace of their camp.  We will just have to reconstruct our ‘campsite’ again this evening.”  He smiled down at the boy.  “Have you eaten?”

“Hardly anything!” Merry declared, plopping down on the grass next to them.  “But Cousin Bilbo gave him a good bath, and then--”

“Merry!” Frodo cried out, blushing.  He threw the stick, and Scamp took off after it.

“What’s the matter?” Merry asked.  “You needed a bath, Frodo.  You were all sweaty when you woke up.”

“The last of the poison leaving his body, we suspect,” Bilbo told the men.

“That is good,” Halbarad reassured the embarrassed tween.  “I doubt either of us wish to repeat our strange experience.”

“It was strange,” Frodo murmured.  “Did you have odd dreams, as well?”

“I--”  Halbarad stopped talking as all three hobbits suddenly looked toward the lane.  After a moment, he and Thalguron also heard the sound of hoofbeats, and then Aragorn came into view on Arthad – bearing a small, cloaked bundle in front of him.

“You three have excellent hearing,” Thalguron said in admiration.

“We are small to your eyes,” Bilbo said, “but not without defenses.  I doubt even a Ranger could take a hobbit by surprise.”

“I don’t believe it,” Merry gasped suddenly.

Frodo grinned from ear to ear, and Scamp suddenly abandoned the game of ‘fetch’ and ran to greet the visitors.

“We have to return him in the morning,” Aragorn said with a smile, lifting the small figure down.  “But until then, he’s all yours.”

“Fwodo!  Mewwy!”  Little Pippin ran across the lawn, giggling with glee.

** TBC **

Ainu Laire:  Frodo says “thank you” for the get-well wishes.

AlabrithGaiamoon:  Sorry, I gave Gandalf his unexpected visit (twice!) in “Quarantined”!

Amy:  Scamp is definitely enjoying all this attention from everyone... and she’s earned it!

Anargil:  Lots of TLC for everyone now!  :D

Andrea:  I hope you approve of the way Pippin arrived at Crickhollow!  He definitely couldn’t get all the way there on his own.

aprilkat:  I think I’ve given Scamp all the ‘watchdog’ qualities of my own childhood pup.

Baggins Babe:  I think Frodo deserves a loving, loyal, sweet doggie like Scamp.  :D

Breon Briarwood:  You were close!  The visitor was very nearly Saradoc.

cuthalion:  Poor Frodo... but on the other hand, in this universe, he always gets bushels of TLC just when he really needs it.

Dreamflower:  Ooooh, Tom Bombadil!  What a fascinating guest he would be.

eiluj:  Sorry, I gave Gandalf his unexpected visit (twice!) in “Quarantined”!

Elven Kitten:  Elrond would have been a really unexpected guest!

InuEnki:  Gandalf does tend to show up around “chaos and mischief”, doesn’t he?  I like that.

Larner:  Yes, I somehow avoided the whole “paper training the puppy” scene in “Reflections of the Past”!

Lily:  Frodo’s dreams were rather frightening, but he gets to wake up to lovely TLC.

Lily Baggins:  Isn’t sleepy, semi-delirious Frodo just so very... (sighs with you)

lindahoyland:  I don’t think Aragorn can conceal his “kingly” side all the time.  It just has to slip out now and then.

Lindelea:  Pippin just insisted on slipping into the story.

lovethosehobbits:  When I do write angst, it absolutely must be followed by puppies... or at least loads of TLC.

LyttleByrdNest:  Thank you so much!

Pearl Took:  Chapter 8 was very difficult to write... how would trees communicate?  Thank you so much for your kind words.

Periantari:  I’m happy, too, when Frodo is safe in the arms of someone he loves, and who loves him.  It’s a feeling we all need more often!

pip4:  I’m very glad you’re enjoying the story.

SlightlyTookish:  I couldn’t give my favorite hobbits anything less than a nearly-perfect puppy.

The Hobbit Waffle:  (sneaks you an extra Lolly)  :D

Tigger:  I wish my own childhood dog had been as intelligent as Scamp!  But she was very loving.

Whispering Darkness:  I’m so glad you’re enjoying the “Quarantined” universe all over again!

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List