Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Force of Nature  by shirebound

The dream Aragorn mentions in this chapter can be found in his conversation with Gandalf in “Quarantined”, chapter 20

 

 

FORCE OF NATURE

Chapter 7 -- Summoned

Then he knew that it was ... the sound of the Sea far-off; a sound he had never heard in waking life, though it had often troubled his dreams.  The Fellowship of the Ring, ‘A Conspiracy Unmasked’

 

In some part of his awareness, Frodo knew that his young cousin was telling him stories, the bedroom door had opened and closed several times, and that he was being watched over.  But it was hard to stay focused; the Sea, which he had never seen except in dreams, was drawing him away in a slow but steady current.  Merry’s voice slowly faded as the gentle, insistent water pulled him downward.  Frodo felt no fear, somehow knowing that the Sea meant him no harm.  He spiralled down and down, but instead of landing on a wet, sandy bottom, he found himself standing in the Old Forest, surrounded by whispers.  He felt welcomed... home.

“Frodo?” Merry paused in describing a drawing that four-year-old Pippin had sent him -- either depicting a cloud or a flower, it had been difficult to tell.  Frodo seemed to have fallen asleep, and Merry lay down next to his cousin, yawning.

Frodo couldn’t understand what the young trees were saying, any more than Halbarad had.  But he knew what they wanted... who they wanted.  He knew...

“Dark times are coming,” the trees whispered.  “His blood is true.  Bring him.”

“But it isn’t dark,” Frodo replied, marveling in how the day’s fading sunlight filtered through the fresh, green foliage, making the air sparkle and dance.

“The Man of the West will understand.  Bring him.”

Frodo gasped as an image of Estel filled his mind; Estel as he had never seen him, a star on his brow, not his cloak... a light shining all about him...

Frodo sat up in bed, no longer dizzy.  The trees knew something about Estel’s secret!  He had to get back to the Old Forest, where he was so happy and safe.  He had to.  He looked around the room; someone had lit the lamp next to the bed, and Merry and Scamp were curled up next to him.  Frodo carefully swung his legs over the bed and stood up, then went to the small window and pushed the catch.  Nothing happened.  He pushed harder, then realized that this was the window that needed repair.  No way to get out without breaking the glass... no way to get out except through...

Frodo thought hard.  He could sneak out the back door of the house easily enough, and run until he got to the Hedge.  A short way through the tunnel, and...

Frodo walked back to the bed and bent down, shaking his cousin slightly.

“Merry, where’s the key?” he whispered urgently.

“What key?” Merry mumbled sleepily.

“The key to the gate.”

“I think Estel still has it.”  Merry yawned and burrowed deeper into the blankets.

I have to get it back, Frodo thought desperately.  The gate’s the only way in, since Bilbo and Merry piled rocks into that hole Halbarad used.  Getting back into the Old Forest, and hearing the rest of the message about Estel, was all that mattered.  But he needed the gate key, and Estel probably wouldn’t give it to him.  They all thought the Forest was dangerous. But he needed to go back...

Burglar! Frodo thought suddenly.  I’m a Baggins, aren’t I?  Bilbo stole the trolls’ purse, and the Elves’ keys, and dragon treasure, and Gollum’s...

He stared at the door, his heart pounding with a sudden excitement.  I could borrow Bilbo’s ring, he thought, then Estel won’t see me when I take the key.  I just have to go back.  Just for a little while...  In his enspelled state, Frodo never wondered how he might take Bilbo’s ring from the chain without his uncle seeing and stopping him, or in what manner one ‘borrowed’ a key from a Ranger... or, indeed, where Estel had put it.

With one backward look at Merry, and at Scamp -- who was watching him -- Frodo went to the door and turned the knob slowly.  He peeked into the hallway and was surprised to see no one guarding either the front or back door of the house.  This might be his only chance!  Key or no key, he had to get back to the Forest... now, before someone stopped him.  He’d figure out some way to get through the gate.

Frodo took a deep breath, ran up the hallway to the back door, and rattled the knob in frustration.  Locked.

“Frodo...”

Frodo whirled around to see that Bilbo had stepped out of the kitchen and was coming toward him.

“It’s all right, my boy,” Bilbo said gently.  “You don’t need to go anywhere.”

Frantic now to escape, Frodo suddenly ran past his uncle toward the front door of the house.

“Thalguron!”  Bilbo shouted suddenly.

Thalguron dashed out of the parlor and caught the boy, bearing him back into the room.  Aragorn, who had been about to bind Halbarad’s ankle, sprang to his feet.

“Let me go!” Frodo yelled.  He kicked and fought, but Thalguron held the struggling tween tightly, trying not to hurt him.

Merry, alerted by the noise, awakened and dashed into the parlor, astonished at the sight of a Ranger restraining his cousin.  “What are you doing to Frodo?” he asked angrily.  Scamp came racing into the room, and began to growl at Thalguron.

“Merry, don’t interfere,” Bilbo said, coming to his side.  He looked worriedly at Frodo, still kicking and yelling to be set free.

“Let me see what I can do, Bilbo,” Aragorn said suddenly.  Mindful of the boy’s flailing feet, he quickly knelt in front of Frodo and placed his hands on both sides of the boy’s face.  Frodo slowly quieted, feeling something strong and calming flow through him.  He stared at Aragorn, breathing quickly.  Bilbo was relieved to see the wild look fade from Frodo’s eyes, to be replaced with frustration.

“Let him go,” Aragorn said.  Thalguron released his hold on Frodo and stepped back.  Halbarad, lying nearby on his pallet, watched with alarm.

“Now,” Aragorn continued in a soft voice, “tell us what’s happening, Frodo.”

“I need to go back,” Frodo said urgently.

“Why?” Bilbo asked.

“It... it’s safe there,” Frodo tried to explain.  Why can’t they understand?  I have to go back! “Estel, they want to see you,” he said suddenly.  “The trees want to tell you something.”

“How do you know that?” Aragorn asked.

“I had a dream or... or something,” Frodo said, confused.  “I didn’t exactly hear them talking.  They... they showed me... it was you.  They called you ‘Man of the West’.  They want...” He stopped speaking, unable to explain.

“Where did you hear that term, little one?” Aragorn asked quietly.

They called you that.”

Aragorn looked at Thalguron, then Halbarad, his friends’ faces mirroring his own surprise.

“We did not speak of that to the boy,” Thalguron assured Aragorn.  “Could he be telling the truth?”

“Of course he’s telling the truth,” Bilbo declared.  “He’s a Baggins.”

“What’s going on?” Merry asked, confused.

“Just wait,” Bilbo said, putting his arm around Merry’s shoulders.  “Frodo, tell us more about what the trees told you.”

“They want me to show Estel what I found, but... not here.”  Frodo looked at Aragorn with a sudden glint in his eyes.  “We should go back, together.”

“What do you mean?” Thalguron asked.  “Did you find something among the bones, Frodo?”

Frodo looked up at the Ranger.  “The trees want me to show it to Estel,” he repeated, “but we have to go there.”

“The trees did not communicate with me thus,” Halbarad said, “at least, not that I remember.  How can this boy understand what they are saying, and hear them from such a distance?”

Aragorn smiled slightly.  “Bilbo,” he said, “when we first met, Frodo told me of a dream he had, which was quite... remarkable.  He seems very gifted in that way.”

“He is,” Bilbo replied.  “Frodo dreams of many things that he has never seen.  I have encouraged him to tell me of them, when they occur.”  He looked at Frodo thoughtfully.  “Perhaps the trees are able to reach him by thought, or dream.”

“I suspect you are correct; the trees we saw were young, and are perhaps unskilled in the language of Men; perhaps they can convey images only, or communicate with words that only Frodo can comprehend.”

Bilbo smiled suddenly.  “I am curious to hear the message... aren’t you?”

“Of course,” Aragorn sighed

“Then we can go?” Frodo asked eagerly.

“Aragorn, lock him in his room,” Halbarad urged.  “He will sleep soon, and no doubt remember little of this.  I no longer recall any message from the trees’ whispers or murmurs, if indeed there was any.”  He shook his head.  “Frodo will sleep, and awaken very ill.  We need to keep him here.”

“No,” Frodo insisted.  “No!”  He tensed, as if to run again.

“You could take him just within the boundary of the Forest until he falls asleep,” Thalguron suggested.  “Perhaps you could restrain him so that he cannot run.”

“What?” Aragorn was appalled.

“Yes,” Bilbo said suddenly, “we should do that.”

“Bilbo---”

“Estel,” Bilbo said quickly, “we don’t know what will happen to Frodo if he is forced to remain here.  Halbarad fell into sleep and returned to himself, but will Frodo?  If he is not in the Old Forest when the thorns’ effects wear off, will he recover?”

Aragorn stared at the old hobbit, then slowly nodded.

“Frodo is your responsibility, Bilbo, not ours.  If you wish me to take him back to the Old Forest, I will do so.”  Aragorn looked at Frodo, now radiant with joy, and sighed.  “Perhaps I can tie him to--”

“Me,” Bilbo interrupted.  “Take us both, Estel, and when we arrive, bind his wrist to mine.  He will be unable to run off without dragging me with him.”

“All right,” Aragorn agreed.  “I will take both of you with me on Arthad.  The sun has set; you’ll need warm jackets or cloaks.  Thalguron, would you see that Arthad is made ready?  I need to finish wrapping Halbarad’s ankle before we leave.”

“I want to go, too!” Merry cried.

“I’m sorry, my lad, but I simply won’t have it,” Bilbo said.  He looked into the boy’s disappointed eyes.  “I don’t want to leave you here, but Frodo’s not going into the Old Forest a second time without me... and Estel’s horse can only carry him, with one hobbit in front and one behind.  Can I trust you to look after the house, and our guests?”

Merry sighed, and nodded.

“Good lad.  See that Halbarad rests, and that Thalguron doesn’t go hungry, all right?”

“Go hungry?” Thalguron asked in amazement.

“How long will you be gone?” Merry asked.

“We will no doubt return within an hour or two,” Aragorn replied.  “It is but a mile to the Hedge, and Arthad is swift.”

“I will look after the boy, Bilbo,” Thalguron said.

“You’ll do no such thing,” Merry declared.  “You heard Cousin Bilbo; I’m the one to be looking after you.”  He looked up at the Ranger critically.  “Do you know any songs or stories?”

“He certainly does,” Halbarad chuckled.

“That’s fine, then.”  Merry nodded to Bilbo.  “I’ll take care of everything while you’re gone.”

“I knew I could count on you, lad,” Bilbo smiled.

“Let’s go!” Frodo cried eagerly.  He grabbed Bilbo’s hand, tugging at it wildly.

“Wait,” Aragorn said firmly.  He once again caught Frodo’s face between his palms, and again the boy was calmed by his touch.  “It’s getting dark, Frodo.  You and Bilbo will ride with me on Arthad, and try to understand what the trees wish to convey.  We are not going more than a few feet into the Old Forest, do you understand?”

Frodo nodded vigorously, and ran to where his cloak hung on the wall.

“Estel,” Bilbo asked curiously, “how did you do that?”

“What?”

Bilbo smiled slightly and shook his head.  “No matter.  We all have our secrets.”

 

** TBC **

( ) -- unsigned:  Thank you very much.  I love writing dialogue, and it’s a joy to know that you can almost hear the characters speaking.

Ainu Laire:  I definitely think you win the prize for the longest review (not that there’s anything wrong with that)!  I love your persistence in spending as much time with Aragorn as the puppy (and Guards) will allow.  I’m so happy that these stories cheer you up; RL is so stressful, and without hobbits, I don’t know how some folks get through it.  Omigosh, you’re going to be a foster-mom!  That’s thrilling and wonderful.

Amy Earls:  I think hobbits would be natural caregivers.  (And of course I’m not enjoying Frodo being a bit ill, either.  Nope.)

Anargil:  I just couldn’t bring myself to have Merry do anything wrong... I’m not sure he would ever get over it!  (Your review was such fun to read.  :D)

Andrea:  I’m glad you’re enjoying the story, and it’s still full of surprises!  I’m always afraid of starting to repeat myself.

aprilkat:  I like to think that the Fellowship spent all those months walking together and learning about one another with a growing fondness and respect all around.

Ariel:  I think we’ll have just enough ‘hurt’ to need a little ‘comfort’.

aspennial:  This is the closest I can come to being in a warm, fuzzy place with Rangers and hobbits, and it’s so wonderful to bring everyone along with me.  Thank you so much for enjoying this little world.

Auntiemeesh:  I can’t imagine writing an Aragorn who wasn’t gentle and respectful of the hobbits!

Breon Briarwood:  Frodo is certainly very resourceful... but his caregivers are equally attentive!

Clever Hobbit:  It certainly took long enough to “begin”!  I hope you continue to enjoy this.

cuthalion:  Can you imagine anything less comprehensible to a 12-year-old hobbit than someone who hadn’t eaten in a whole day?  Merry’s probably still in shock over that one.

EllyBaggins:  Frodo really does have the best Ranger and dog looking out for him, doesn’t he?  Even when circumstances are less than ideal, Frodo is a very lucky hobbit.

Elven Kitten:  At least, with my stories, you don’t have to be too scared!  Everything will eventually work out for a certain adorable hobbit lad.

Elwen:  It really is difficult for me to put Frodo through any distress.  There need to be good friends and food and puppies and cuddles waiting in the wings.

esamen:  There’s just something so lovely about a woozy Frodo being gently carried by Aragorn.  I do seem to write that into a lot of stories, don’t I?  I appreciate what you said about the manners, courage, and thoughtfulness of everyone... I think that’s one of the reasons I love returning to this ‘universe’ again and again.  This is the way I like to think it really is/was in Middle-earth.  And I do apologize that this story probably won’t have the amount of angst you’re anticipating.  Sorry!  I tend to alternate writing angsty stories (like “Mind to Mind” and “Spellbound”) with less angsty ones.

Gentle Hobbit:  Indeed, the trees have something they want to communicate.  I’ve had that planned from the very beginning of the story.

harrowcat:  Goodness, no one is obligated to review every chapter (not that I don’t really appreciate the effort!).  Yes indeed, what does young Frodo have in his pocketses?  Hmmm...

InuEnki:  I wrote a Pippin “under the influence” scene in a story several years ago (“Unlikely Comfort”)... good thing our hobbits are so resilient!

Larner:  I couldn’t just leave Frodo somewhere that would be easy to escape from, could I?

Lily Baggins:  It’s nearly as much fun to write about hobbits-as-caregivers as it is to write about them being on the receiving end of the comfort.  Fortunately for you (but not for Frodo), I’ve had experience with dizziness... and they say to “write what you know”!

Lily the Hobbit:  I think Merry would have been raised with a strong sense of responsibility as the “young Master of the Hall”.

lindahoyland:  Thank you so much.  I just can’t seem to keep humor out of these stories, no matter how dire the circumstances.

lovethosehobbits:  Zombie Frodo... you’re pretty close!

Mysterious Jedi:  In the Prologue to FOTR, Tolkien does describe the hobbits as “inclined to be fat”... which proves what a bounteous land the Shire must be.

Nimrodel of Meneltarma:  Whatever Frodo endures, we know that (in this universe) he will always bounce back and be ready for the next adventure!  And your English is just fine.  :D

Pearl Took:  I definitely imagine young Merry being raised as a ‘young squire’... but it’s interesting to see him through the eyes of someone who has to make his own determination about the “quality” of the hobbits they meet.

Sandy K:  Thank you so much.  I’m rather fond of this universe myself!

SlightlyTookish:  I’ve loved the ‘reversal’ of hobbits taking care of Rangers since I wrote the first chapter of “Quarantined”.  It’s fun to explore it (as you have!).

smalldiver:  Watching everyone heal again is the best part of any story, for me.  I want to hurry past the ‘hurt’ to get to the ‘comfort’.

TheHobbitWaffle:  Frodo is a bit under the weather, isn’t he?  I’m not sure how that keeps happening.  And thank you very much for the good wishes; I live about two hours south of L.A., and we felt the earthquake down here (for a few seconds).  Those things are very strange indeed.

Tigger:  How I wish I could update more quickly, but I really do squeeze in hobbity writing in every spare moment.  Thank you so much for your wonderful support.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List