Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Force of Nature  by shirebound

My thanks to the folks who caught the “Thalbarad” error.  Ooops!

 

 

FORCE OF NATURE

Chapter 6 -- Keeping Secrets

“If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so.  That has been the task of my kindred, while the years have lengthened and the grass has grown.”  The Fellowship of the Ring, ‘The Council of Elrond’

 

Halbarad opened his eyes to discover that the youngest one -- Merry, he remembered -- was just inches away from him, smiling.

“You’re awake!” Merry said with delight.  “And I’ll bet you’re hungry!”  He scurried away for a moment.

“It is time you were waking, brother!” came Thalguron’s voice.

Halbarad looked around, trying to get his bearings.  He was still lying in what Frodo had called the parlor, and the blankets cushioning him from the floor felt soft and well made.  Shelves of books and heirlooms lined the walls, and a merry fire danced in the hearth.  On the far side of the large room, chairs and tables had been pushed aside to clear the floor, and his brother, Aragorn, and the hobbits were sitting in a circle on a large, thick carpet, enjoying what looked to be a rather sumptuous picnic.  Delicious aromas filled the air.  The pup was lying just a few feet away from him, gnawing rather vigorously on what appeared to be a soup bone.

Halbarad sat up slowly, careful not to move his ankle -- which he realized was wrapped loosely in a thick poultice and propped up on a pillow.

“Easy,” Aragorn said, coming to his side at once.  He pulled over a heavy, wooden chest so that the injured man could lean back against something sturdy.

“I did not mean to---” Halbarad began.

“Do not apologize for losing consciousness, my friend.”  Aragorn smiled gently.  “I was glad to be able to suture the broken skin and apply hot poultices without you being aware of it.  Would that all healers had the same easy time in caring for the injured!”

Halbarad chuckled softly.  “I was most happy to oblige, Captain.”  He inadvertently moved his throbbing ankle slightly, and hissed at the sharp pain.

“I have a tea ready for you that should help with the pain,” Aragorn said.  “I need to bind your ankle soon, but I would like to keep the poultice in place a short while longer.”  He felt Halbarad’s brow.  “As the infection is drawn out, your fever diminishes.  You must stay off your ankle for many weeks, Halbarad; Thalguron is going to make a crutch for you to use.  But first, you must rest for several days.  We will---”

“Rest... here?” Halbarad stared at him.

“I can think of no better place.”  Aragorn’s gaze took in the well-appointed room.  “How often does a Ranger find such a refuge... or such plentiful fare?”

“The little folk should not even know of us,” Halbarad said ashamedly.

“For the most part, they do not wish to know of us.  But these three...” Aragorn motioned to Frodo, Bilbo, and Merry,  “...and a few others whom I have met, are jewels among hobbits.  They honor what we do, and wish only to make us welcome.”

Halbarad’s stomach growled suddenly, and he looked longingly at the plates, bowls, and trays of food around which the hobbits and his brother were sitting.  “Have you and my greedy brother eaten our hosts out of house and home?”

“Hardly,” Aragorn laughed.  “In fact, we have been hard pressed to consume all that is being urged upon us!  As you will soon experience.”  Just then, Merry returned with his arms full.

“Here, sir,” Merry said, handing Halbarad a heaping platter of tender, roasted beef, potatoes, and mushrooms.  He set down a cup of fresh-pressed apple cider.  “Start with that, and I’ll get you some bread and soup.  Do you like puddings?  We have...”

Aragorn grinned at Halbarad’s dazed expression, and Thalguron looked across the room at his brother and winked at him.

“This is serious, Estel,” Merry scowled.  “You said he hadn’t eaten for... for a whole day.  That’s...”  He could scarcely comprehend such a thing.  “I’ll get the bread.”  He hurried off again across the room.

“Thank you, Merry,” Halbarad called to the youngster.  He leaned closer to Aragorn.  “Why is the young one acting thus?” he whispered.  “Is he a servant?”

“On the contrary, he is heir to one of the largest and oldest families in the Shire,” Aragorn answered quietly.  “His father oversees Buckland, the land in which we currently are guests.”

“He seems a remarkable child.”  Halbarad started to eat, then unobtrusively pointed his fork in Frodo’s direction.  “How is...”

“He shows no ill effects as yet,” Aragorn murmured, “but it has been just a few hours since we returned.  You were only unconscious a short while.”

“What engages them so intensely?” Halbarad asked, realizing that Frodo and Thalguron were deep in conversation.

Aragorn sighed, and shook his head in mock weariness.  “Never give a hobbit leave to ask questions, Halbarad.  You will find them to be infinite.”  He glared at his patient.  “Now, eat.  And do not hesitate to ask for seconds.  Or thirds.  Believe me, the hobbits will be quite amazed if you do not.”

When Aragorn left to fetch the painkilling tea for Halbarad, Thalguron came to sit with his brother.  They exchanged some quiet words before he returned to his place between Frodo and Bilbo.

“Halbarad is well,” Thalguron assured Frodo and Bilbo, “if appetite is any indication of health.”

“Of course it is!” Frodo declared.

“I see that Merry is taking his responsibilities as ‘host’ quite seriously,” Bilbo chuckled.  The boy had settled down next to Halbarad, talking with the Ranger and ensuring that he did not lack for anything.

“You were saying, Frodo?” Thalguron smiled down at the tween.

“Estel said he was your captain because his father was captain before him,” Frodo said, excited to be talking with Rangers.  “Can you tell me about him?  He’s hardly told us anything about himself.”

Aragorn had returned to the room with Halbarad’s tea, and he nodded his permission for Thalguron to continue.

“What has he told you?” Thalguron asked cautiously.  He was still amazed that these halflings knew as much as they did about Aragorn.  Each Ranger, upon taking his oath, swore to keep secret the lineage of their Chieftain.  He delighted in speaking with this intelligent, inquisitive halfling, but regarding Aragorn, was determined to say as little as possible.

“Not a great deal,” Frodo replied.  “I know his father died when he was little, and Lord Elrond and the Elves raised him.  He can speak and write in Elvish.  He told us his real name, but we’re not supposed to use it except in emergencies; there’s some secret about it.  He’s a friend of Gandalf, and knows about healing.  But...” Frodo looked up at Thalguron seriously.  “What if he wasn’t a good leader?  Would you have to pick someone else?”

“We have been fortunate,” Thalguron said gravely, “for I do not believe that the Rangers have ever had to debate such a subject.  We could ask for no better leader than Aragorn, and I have heard the same said of his father.”

“Estel told me that the star on his cloak belonged to his father.”

Thalguron nodded.  “Inheritance means a great deal to our people.  We are all kin, in some way, but Aragorn’s family is...” He stopped.

“It’s all right,” Frodo reassured him.  “I know about keeping secrets.”  He dared a tiny glance at Bilbo, who was smiling at him.  “So, you’re just lucky that Estel’s brave and kind and smart and---”

“That’s right,” Halbarad chuckled.  He had finished his meal, and Aragorn helped him lay back down.  The tea Aragorn had brought him had already begun to dull the pain and was making him drowsy, and he was enjoying listening to the conversation.

“Don’t forget what a mighty warrior he is,” Thalguron added, amused by the fact that Aragorn seemed suddenly to find the ceiling most interesting.  “And he can track anyone, anywhere.”

“Except in the Old Forest.  That place seems to be...”  Frodo paused and looked around.  “Do you hear that?”

Everyone grew silent.

“Hear what, Frodo?” Aragorn asked quietly, alert to the slightest sound.

“I... it’s like...” Frodo put his hands over his ears.  “I still hear it,” he said, puzzled.  “A whispering... like when the trees were...”  He started to stand up, but suddenly paled and stumbled.  He fell against Thalguron, who caught him.

“Aragorn,” Thalguron called out, “we need you.”  He lay Frodo gently on the carpet.

“I’m just dizzy, all of a sudden,” Frodo murmured.  He squeezed his eyes shut, and reached out for Bilbo, who took his hand.

“Let’s get you into bed until it passes,” Bilbo said as calmly as possible, despite his alarm. 

Aragorn knelt quickly at Frodo’s side.  “May I?” he asked.  Bilbo nodded, and Aragorn lifted Frodo into his arms.  “Here we go, little one,” he said softly.  “Everything will be fine.”

“Aragorn,” Halbarad said urgently, “don’t let him out of your sight.”

Aragorn said nothing, but nodded that he understood.  Bilbo led him down the hallway, toward the bedrooms.

Merry was suddenly at Bilbo’s side, looking frightened.  “Is Frodo sick?” he asked.

Bilbo smiled reassuringly at the boy.  “Not exactly, my lad,” he replied.  “We think he’s having a bit of a bad reaction to the thorns that scratched him.  The same thing happened to Halbarad.  Frodo may say or do some odd things, and we need to keep an eye on him.  After awhile, Halbarad says he will feel sleepy, and might be a bit ill, but he should be just fine by morning.”

They entered the smallest bedroom.  Aragorn lay Frodo on one of the beds, and Merry climbed up next to him.

“Frodo lad, can you hear me?” Bilbo asked softly.

“I’m fine,” Frodo said dreamily, his eyes still tightly closed.

“May I stay with him?” Merry asked.  “Frodo used to tell me stories when I wasn’t feeling well.”

“That’s a good idea, Bilbo,” Aragorn said.  “He shouldn’t be left alone.”

“That would be fine, Merry,” Bilbo said, giving the youngster a hug.  “We’ll be right outside.”

Bilbo and Aragorn quietly left the room, and Scamp ran into the bedroom just as Bilbo was closing the door.  Bilbo stood with Aragorn in the wide hallway, looking worried.

“Bilbo,” Aragorn asked quietly, “I think it would be prudent for you to lock the doors to this house -- front and back.”

“I will,” Bilbo assured him.  “And I chose this room because the window is quite difficult to open.  Frodo won’t be able to escape -- should he wish to -- except through this door.”

“Do not worry overmuch, my friend,” Aragorn said, putting a gentle hand on Bilbo’s shoulder.  “We will not allow him to run off, no matter how loudly the Forest may call to him.  We will keep a close watch, and no harm will befall him.”

 

** TBC **

Ainu Laire:  Your review had me howling!  Aragorn should be grateful that he has such an attentive admirer as yourself.  Silly man.

Amy Earls:  Crickhollow does sound like a delightful bed and breakfast.  I think I’ll book a weekend there.  And you think I would ever let poor Frodo have delirium?  Oh wait... well, maybe I would...

Anargil:  I wish I had a dog like that, too!

Andrea:  I don’t think anyone wants Frodo to run off and get lost!  I’ll see what I can do...

Anso the Hobbit:  I can definitely imagine Bilbo bringing up his heir to be practical and well mannered.

aprilkat:  Has anyone ever had more names than Aragorn?

Ariel:  I got us to the FroAngst as soon as I could!

Breon Briarwood:  I think all of us are honorary hobbits.

Claudette:  Yes, thanks to poor Halbarad’s ankle, I think the Rangers will get a few days vacation (such as it is) at Crickhollow.

Clever Hobbit:  Eeee, I love it when people bounce!  That’s a lovely compliment.  :D

EllyBaggins:  If only the world did work this way, there’d be more than enough ‘comfort’ to balance out the ‘hurt’.

Elven Kitten:  All will be well... eventually!

Elwen:  I don’t know how I let this story get to six chapters before starting the FroAngst, Elwen.  Maybe I should turn in my FrodoHealers badge!

Endaewen:  Thank you very much.

esamen:  Thank you so much.  Whenever I write too much angst (like “Spellbound” or “Mind to Mind”) I run right back to this “Q-Universe”.  Believe me, I could live there too.  And yes, isn’t SOA wonderful?  All hail Nilmandra for creating such a lovely home for our stories.  And... let the FroAngst begin!

Gayalondiel:  I’ll have you know that Frodo loves being in my care.  Sure, there’s the occasional illness or injury, but ooooh, all the TLC and blankies and attention and soothing and cuddling... What a lucky hobbit!

girlofring:  I’m glad the “comforting and friend values” outweigh the angst.  And I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

InuEnki:  We can never read too much FrodoHealers stuff.  :D

Larner:  It’s fun to imagine Scamp as the “mother” of future Ranger dogs!

Lily the Hobbit:  I do love it when the Big Folk are caught off guard by a hobbit’s unquenchable curiosity.

lindahoyland:  I love how LOTR can show us how everyone can do their part, no matter how small or seemingly unimportant at the time.  Everything contributes to the final outcome.

lovethosehobbits:  H/c?  For Frodo?  Well, if you insist...

Mysterious Jedi:  Yes, our hobbits certainly are learning early how to deal with unexpected situations.

Nimrodel of Meneltarma:  Thank you for such wonderful enthusiasm!  We’re finally getting to the “thorny” part of the story.

Pearl Took:  I agree -- these are very lucky Rangers.  They’ll be spoiled after a few days of living with solicitous hobbits.

Sandy K:  I like imagining young Merry, and how he would have been raised to be responsible and quick thinking.

SlightlyTookish:  I never thought much about Crickhollow before!  It was fun to try to picture it, inside and out.

smalldiver:  I don’t think Frodo is about to lose this opportunity to talk with Rangers.

Thehobbitwaffle:  For a story that I only planned to be five chapters, this sure is cliffhangery, isn’t it?  Honestly, it’s as much a surprise to me as anyone.  Oh, and Scamp is definitely hypoallergenic; she’s the perfect puppy!

Tigger:  You’re welcome to borrow Aragorn (or Scamp) anytime!  They’re looking forward to visiting with you.  :D





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List