Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

At the End of His Rope  by Lindelea

Chapter 79. Healer's Eyes

Breakfast was a merry meal, with much talk, both of old times to be re-lived in reminiscence, and of happenings after the travellers had parted. Elessar watched with his healer's eyes. Merry seemed well on the way to mending, though he kept one hand upon Estella's much of the time, as if drawing comfort from the contact. Come to think of it, Eowyn and Faramir sat close as well, bodies touching. Sometimes Eowyn would sober, eyes looking inward, and without his seeming to take notice of the look, Faramir's hand would cover her own until she straightened up and smiled again.

Gimli and Legolas sparred good-naturedly with all the rhythm of long practice and long friendship. Eomer and his queen spoke with Merry, urging him to bring his family to Rohan for a visit; they would surely receive a royal welcome.

Pippin, now... the King's sharp eyes noted that the Thain talked and laughed more than he ate, and a weariness lay beneath the bright smile. He had insisted that Beregond and Bergil join him and young Faramir, and he and Bergil were regaling the others with some of their adventures as "lads" in Minas Tirith after the War.

After breakfast, the notables walked down to the bank of the Brandywine, looking at the landings on both sides of the River, calculating how the great loads would be moved from ships to land, and then across the Shire.

'We shall send out messengers to the far corners of the Shire,' the Thain said. 'Hobbits will come by the hundreds with waggons to haul the goods away; you need not rue having sent the wains of the Rohirrim back home so soon, though they left hastily, without taking any gold back.'

Eomer chose not to honour this comment with a reply.

'Just makes for a heavier load for the ships,' Merry answered. 'Still, ships may carry more than wains, anyhow.'

'You have the right of it, cousin, and they do not have to watch out for ruffians in the bargain,' Pippin said.

'There are ruffians on the water,' Captain Fargold said quietly. 'Did you forget the Corsairs of Umbar?'

'Are they still about?' Pippin asked. 'Strider, I thought you'd taken care of them all.'

'There will always be ruffians, and pirates,' the King answered quietly. He saw the glance that passed between Thain and Master, and understood. 'Yes, there will always be black-hearted Men, even though there is no Dark Lord for them to follow. I will re-issue the Edict after Yule, pull out the guardsmen, and set a heavier guard about the Shire for a time afterwards, to make sure that Men understand that nothing has changed, and the Shire is still under my protection.'

'Good,' Pippin said shortly. 'It will be for their protection as well.' He eyed the king. 'You took a great chance, Strider, ordering your guardsmen into the Shire in the first place. You might have lost a score of guardsmen in Tookland, you know.'

'I heard about that,' Elessar said dryly. 'Good thing your cousin took them under his protection.'

'Yes, Ferdibrand has a good head on his shoulders. Many Tooks would have shot first and asked questions later.'

'Then I am grateful for Ferdibrand. Perhaps he would like to come work for me?' the King said.

Pippin laughed. 'He already has plenty of work to do, and not much use for Men.'

'So I gather,' Elessar said. He'd had a full report from the sergeant sent to Tookland.

Legolas and Gimli spent a part of the morning with the Gamgees. Rose was overcome with shyness to be meeting one of the Fair Folk, though Legolas was no longer so distant as most of his kin, through his long association with the Men of Ithilien, and friendship with Gimli the dwarf. Whenever the latter felt the elf was becoming too lofty, he would seek to take him down a peg or two, and Legolas would smile and allow himself to be taken down. He found he could accomplish much more working with Men than he could holding them at a distance, a fact most of his kindred did not know, or did not care to know.

Pippin joined them after a time, accompanying the servants who brought the noon meal on trays. Rose soon relaxed and found herself talking to the elf and the dwarf with ease, especially when she saw that they held her Sam in high esteem, and spoke fondly of their memories of Sam's beloved Frodo. The children, already familiar with the tales in the Red Book, hung on every word. Even Goldi and Frodo-lad stayed awake long enough to eat a hearty nuncheon as Sam, Pippin, Gimli, and Legolas traded stories. Rose was pleased to see Sam eating with some appetite, as well.

After the meal, the elf nudged the dwarf, who was just finishing a story, and nodded significantly. Bristling, the dwarf looked to see Samwise blinking sleepily, grumbled something at the elf, and rose smoothly. 'But we have work to do, my lady,' he said gruffly, bowing to Rose. 'I must beg to take our leave.'

'Of course,' Rose said.

Legolas took her hand and bowed over it. 'We thank you for your kind hospitality,' he said. 'Rest, now.' Looking into his smiling eyes, Rose suddenly realised how sleepy she felt, and barely managed to suppress a yawn.

'You are too kind,' she said.

'Sleep well,' Pippin said. 'I think I might take a nap myself.'

Rose looked at him sharply. 'I think that would be a very good idea,' she said. 'Nothing like an afternoon nap after a good meal.'

'Unless it is a pipe,' Pippin answered.

'I wouldn't know about that,' Rose rejoined. 'I don't take a pipe.'

'You don't know what you're missing,' Pippin chuckled.

'No, and I don't intend to find out, either. Were I you, I'd take the nap over the pipe this day. Take yourself off, now, Thain, and no more of your nonsense.' She smiled to take the sting from the words, and with a laugh, Pippin left with the others.

Legolas noted, however, that Pippin did not rest that afternoon, but sought out Bergil and Elessar instead, to talk over some business.

After the evening meal, the Big People were invited to the great room to enjoy the blazing fire on the great hearth, storytelling, music, and song.

Elessar called Legolas over for a private chat. Nodding to a quiet corner of the great room, he called the elf's attention to the Thain, slumped in a comfortable chair, head back, finally asleep.

'I need your help, old friend,' the King said, 'in the matter of another old friend.'

'I saw,' Legolas said quietly. 'I had heard he was dying, and then you sent a message about a wondrous cure, and that he was well again. But he doesn't look all that well, to my eye, though I'm no healer.'

'He was ill for a long time,' Elessar said soberly, 'and yes, he came very close to death. After the cure, he came to Lake Evendim, and we made sure he rested and ate... how he ate! The Queen gave orders that he was to have food ever before him, and we made sure he ate... he couldn't very well refuse, when we were eating as well...' The King patted his belly with a droll look, and Legolas laughed. Adding his own chuckle, Elessar said, 'Yes, I nearly outgrew my mail...'

Sobering again, the King went on, 'But then he returned to the Shire, to news that the harvest had failed. Hobbits were on short commons, and by the end I suspect they were on no commons at all, before the wains arrived. He has again fallen out of the habit of eating, and I fear for him. He went on so long on will alone, disregarding his body, that I think he disregards it still. What will he do when will fails him? They have a proverb in the Shire: "A hobbit that doesn't eat is soon no hobbit at all." ' He paused after this speech, uncommonly long for him, and puffed on his pipe in silence.

'What can I do?' the elf asked quietly.

'Stay by his side. Ply him with wine and food; tempt him with elvish fare. The wood elves are famous for their feasts, after all. Get him used to eating, until it is again a habit.' Elessar sipped at his wine, then said, 'The Mistress of Buckland is wise; she knows that hobbits' appetites are not working properly after the long fast--they have taught themselves to pay no heed to hunger--and she makes sure they eat by the clock. But Pippin is going back to the Smials, and I am told he pays no mind to those who nag him to eat, they've done it so long, in his case.'

'Fatten him up, as in a fairy tale?' the elf said, smiling.

'Ah, yes, but not to bring him to an evil end,' the King returned. 'Let us try to write him a tale that goes on and on.'

'And see to it that he gets adequate rest, I suppose,' Legolas said.

'For an elf who is more warrior than healer, you show remarkable sense,' the King said.

'My sense tells me he will waken with a terrible crick in his neck if allowed to continue in that position,' Legolas said. He rose and walked over to the sleeping Thain, touching his shoulder, calling his name softly, answered only by a snore.

Young Faramir Took came over. 'Did you need something?' he said. The elf smiled at the lad's protective stance.

'No, I have no need to waken your father,' he said. 'I merely thought he'd be more comfortable in his bed than in a chair.' He carefully lifted the Thain in his arms without waking the hobbit. Pippin, under the deceptively bulky wool clothing, was disturbingly light. 'Will you show me where to lay him?' he said.

The lad stared at him thoughtfully, then nodded. 'Follow me,' he answered, and he and Legolas, bearing Pippin, walked quietly from the great room.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List