Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

At the End of His Rope  by Lindelea

Chapter 78. Sails in the Mist

As the dawn light increased, the watchers at the top of Brandy Hall rubbed their eyes in astonishment. Looming out of the mists on the River, they could see... enormous white sails, larger than any they'd ever seen before on the largest of hobbit sailboats. Ghostly ships drew even with Brandy Hall, there was a clanking of chain, splashes, hoarse shouts, nearly swallowed by the mist, then the sails began to flap and then to descend. Gathering his wits, one of the watchers jerked his horn from his belt and blew a long blast.

It was not long before blinking hobbits began to emerge from the Hall, stopping short in amazement at the sight of the fleet anchoring in the River. Elessar ducked from his pavilion, a broad grin stretching over his face. Eomer and Faramir joined him, walking down to the bank, to call to the figures dimly seen at the railing of the foremost ship.

'Gimli! Legolas! Well met!' the King roared.

'Elessar!' Legolas answered. 'Now we know we have found the right place!'

'Come ashore!' the King called. 'You're just in time for breakfast!'

'I thought we were bringing breakfast!' the dwarf shouted back.

'O no, you are to be bringing dinner!' Merry called cheerfully, coming to stand beside his royal guests. 'Breakfast is on us!' He stared in wonder at the fleet of ships, heavy laden, bringing life and hope to the Shire. The thought stirred within him, that perhaps there might actually be a future after all. How they were to pay for it all... well, he'd bake that bread when it was risen. If it took all the gold in the Shire, Buckland would give its share.

The Captain and first mate of the Dove came ashore with Gimli and Legolas, and Merry was glad to greet Fargold and Thingal. 'To think I should see you on our own River!' he said. 'I have never forgot the journey you took me on yours.' He greeted Gimli and Legolas heartily. 'It has been much too long,' he said. 'You know there is no ban on elves and dwarves in the Shire, don't you?'

'Ah, well, you know how it is,' the dwarf grumbled. 'When I was ready to come, he was occupied, and then to pass the time, I'd occupy myself in business and so be unable to get away when he was free.' He cast a demonstrative look at the elf, and Merry laughed.

'So it is all Legolas' fault, as usual,' the Master of Buckland chuckled.

'What is my fault?' Legolas asked, turning from conversation with Elessar.

'Everything,' Gimli grunted, and the elf laughed.

'Of course,' Legolas said, and turned back to Elessar. 'And what of Peregrin? Is he here?'

The King frowned. 'I would have expected him to be one of the first to greet you,' he said.

Merry put in, 'He sat up quite late with Samwise, until Healer Robin threatened to have him bound and carried off to his bed.'

Gimli guffawed, and Legolas smiled. 'Why does that not surprise me?' he said. 'And so Samwise stayed up too late, as well?'

'Sam's been ill,' Merry said quietly. 'Pippin brought him to the Hall for the King's healing hands.'

'There is only so much athelas can do,' Elessar said. 'Time and rest are what is chiefly needed now.'

'And feeding up,' Merry said. 'The Gamgees have come to the right place for that. Every time someone opens a mouth, Estella pops something in.' He glanced back at the Hall. 'Speaking of popping food in the mouth, I think we had better move along to the great room before my lovely wife comes in search of us. She hates cold breakfast.'

***

Pippin woke to Faramir's excited words. 'Ships! Giant ships in the River! As big as...' Words failed the lad.

'Dragons, perhaps,' Pippin said sleepily, 'or whales.' He smiled at his son, who'd seen neither. 'You go on to see them, lad, I'll follow as soon as I'm dressed.' Faramir was quickly gone, and Pippin stretched and tried to rub the clouds from his eyes.

He blessed whomever had lighted the cheery fire on the bedroom hearth, for a chill was in his bones, making it difficult to emerge from beneath the warm coverlet. He blessed as well the thoughtfulness that had laid out clean, warm clothing woven of soft wool, warming by the fire, ready for his use. His own clothes were undoubtedly still sodden from the last two days; even the baggage had been soaked in the downpour they'd ridden through. As his feet touched the cold floor, he almost wished for warm socks, as Men wore. Ah, well, he'd warm up as soon as he was clothed and fed.

Before long, he met the group coming up from the bank, and broke into a broad smile. 'Gimli!' he shouted. 'Legolas! Good to see you again!' He hugged first one, then the other. 'We should have had a famine years ago, if that's what it takes to bring you to the Shire!'

'Ridiculous as ever,' the dwarf grumbled, then returned the embrace gruffly. 'It is good to see you as well, young Took.'

'Not so young, anymore,' Pippin laughed. 'But what are we standing around for? Come in!'

'Just who is Master of this Hall?' Merry demanded.

'You are, but you're getting much too slow in your old age, cousin!' Pippin said cheerily. Putting an arm about Merry's shoulders, he called back to the others. 'Just follow us! We'll lead you to the feast!'

'They hardly act as if they're dying,' Thingal muttered to Fargold.

Legolas looked over soberly. 'Pippin looks as if he'd just come from Mount Doom,' he said. 'I hardly recognised him. I thought for a moment Frodo had come back from across the Seas, impossible as that would be.'

'That thought had struck me as well,' the dwarf muttered. 'It seems we have come just in time.'

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List