Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

At the End of His Rope  by Lindelea

Chapter 74.  Yuletide Preparations at the Gamgees'

The Gamgee family were recovering from the fever, some more quickly than others. The tweens were soonest out of their beds, and with good feeding had regained enough strength to be restless. The Thain set them to work, going to other homes in the area to finish the neglected fall cleaning, now that there was water aplenty for scrubbing and days of rain to keep them indoors.

Rose fretted at Pippin's continued presence. 'Don't they need you back at the Smials?' she said.

Pippin chuckled. 'There's naught to do at this time of year but get ready for Yuletide,' he said. 'They don't even miss me, I warrant.' At Rose's stern look, his chuckle turned into a laugh and he amended, 'Well, Diamond and the twins might miss me, just a little, I suppose.' He looked around the parlour. 'It's nice and quiet here, nobody tugging at your sleeve, shoving papers in your face, asking for a decision on somewhat or another thing. Perhaps I'll move in permanently.'

Bergil laughed at Rose's scandalised expression. 'Don't pull that leg any further, Pip, it's about to come off in your hand,' he said.

'I know he's joking,' Rose said impatiently, 'but surely you've more important things to do than dance attendance upon the Gamgees.'

Pippin smiled serenely. 'I'll stay until I'm satisfied you're well, Rose,' he said. 'When you can make me a meat and mushroom pie, I'll go.'

Rose humphed. 'That may take some time, considering you don't let me out of a chair or bed long enough to cook.'

'Don't you like my cooking?' Bergil said, affecting hurt.

'I thought it rather good, myself,' Pippin said conversationally. 'You're developing quite a light touch with pastry.'

'Bergil,' Rose said seriously. 'I know you cannot stay. What if you're still here when the King...'

'Rose,' Bergil said patiently. 'I am not about to be put to the sword. The King will see to it that all his strays are rounded up before he closes off the pasture again.'

'Strays?' Pippin asked.

'Ba-a-a-a-a-h,' Bergil answered. 'The sergeant told me to be back at Brandy Hall by Yule or he'd come looking for me.'

'It's already mid-December,' Rose worried.

'I've legs,' Bergil said. 'I can leave next week and still be in time.'

'I'll go along with him,' Pippin said, 'to make sure he doesn't get lost.'

Sam spoke for the first time. 'Back to Brandy Hall? What about the Smials?'

'O, I'm putting off returning to the Smials as long as possible, you know. They'll only put me to work once I get there,' Pippin said easily. 'Besides, I left Faramir at Brandy Hall, and I need to go fetch him before he starts thinking he's a Brandybuck.' He took a long look at Sam, not liking what he saw. 'You need to eat more, Mayor,' he said. 'I want to see you properly fattened up before I go.'

Sam snorted. 'Diamond's rubbing off on you.'

Pippin persisted. 'I'm thinking we ought to load up the Gamgees and take them to Brandy Hall for Yule.'

'Don't you think the Master ought to be the one to issue the invitation?' Sam said dryly.

Pippin laughed. 'What's a dozen more, with the horde he's entertaining? A hundred guardsmen, give or take a few,' he looked keenly at Bergil, who laughed, 'kings, queens, princes and princesses, knights of the Mark... I hope the food holds out.' Privately he resolved that when he went to Brandy Hall, he'd be taking the Gamgees with him. He hoped Strider hadn't used up all his athelas; Frodo-lad and Goldilocks were still as poorly as their father.

'Bergil!' he said brightly. 'Here's another chance for you to look ridiculous!'

'O?' Bergil smiled.

'You can sit on the seat of a hobbit waggon full of Gamgees and drive a team of ponies to Buckland,' Pippin grinned.

'I can hardly wait,' Bergil answered with a grin of his own.

'Merry's fond of saying how I like to turn up like a stray pup at the door,' Pippin went on. 'I'll just bring a whole litter with me this time.' He smiled at Rose. 'Fine bunch of pups they are, too.'

His sharp eyes noticed the Mayor's struggle to keep his eyes open. 'But Samwise, I think it is past your bedtime,' he said. 'Time to tuck you up with some hot bricks and a cup of soothing tea, I think.'

'I'm all right,' Sam protested.

'You will be,' Pippin answered, more to himself than Samwise. 'You will be.'





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List