Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

At the End of His Rope  by Lindelea

Chapter 75. A Debt to Be Paid

Bergil came in from loading the waggon. 'I think that's all,' he said to Pippin. 'Just the Mayor's left.'

'We wouldn't want to forget him,' Pippin said. 'He might perish of too much peace and quiet, all those young Gamgees out from underfoot.' He looked towards Sam to gauge the effect of his words, only to see that the Mayor was asleep again. 'Well, let us wrap him well and pack him up like the rest of the baggage.'

As he lifted his adopted hobbit-dad from the rocking chair, Bergil looked once more about the kitchen and sighed. 'I'll never see this place again,' he mused. 'Nice, cosy home. I'd like one just like it some day.'

'Only bigger,' Pippin said.

Bergil smiled. 'Just a whit,' he said.

Samwise opened his eyes. 'Are we going now?' he said blearily.

'That we are, Sam-Dad,' Bergil told him. 'You just relax and leave the driving to me.'

'I think I'll do that,' Sam said, his eyes closing again. Bergil carried him out, settling him gently in the place they'd prepared for him, while Pippin made sure all the windows and doors of Bag End were shut tight against any winter storm that might blow up while the Gamgees were away.

Closing the front door firmly behind him, the Thain turned and grinned at the sight of the tall guardsman hunched in the driver's seat. 'Could I only paint portraits,' he said. 'I would capture this moment forever.'

Bergil laughed and answered, 'Get up on your pony before we leave without you.'

It was a quiet journey, very different from the usual ride to Brandy Hall, which the Gamgees undertook at least annually if not oftener. There was no singing and little talk. Sam, Frodo-lad, and Goldi slept much of the way, rousing only when Rosie tried to get them to take some hot broth from inns they passed. They also renewed the coals in the warmers at each inn, and once stopped at a farmstead for hot coals when there was too long a stretch between inns. With the warmers giving off their comforting heat, and the cover snugged over the waggon to keep out the rain, the convalescents were kept warm and comfortable, the swaying of the waggon rocking them to sleep along the way.

Pippin rode his pony in the rain, welcoming the moisture, even the feeling of his cloak growing heavier as the ride continued. Bergil looked at him worriedly. 'You're going to catch your death,' he said when they were about halfway to Frogmorton. 'Why not ride in the waggon for a bit?'

'You're as bad as Diamond,' Pippin said. 'Now leave me be and mind your driving. We don't want this waggonload of Gamgees to end up in a brimming ditch; the only one that can swim is Goldi and I don't think she's quite up to it yet.' He turned his face up to the sky, the better to feel the rain.

'You're daft,' Bergil said fondly.

'People often tell me that,' Pippin replied. 'I wonder why?' He joined Bergil in laughing.

They stayed the night in an inn on the outskirts of Whitfurrows, the innkeeper nearly overwhelmed to be accommodating the Thain and the Mayor and his family, and the tall guardsman with the impressive black uniform. He pulled half a dozen hobbit beds together, side-by-side, to make one long bed for Bergil to stretch out upon, insisting that it would be more comfortable for the guardsman than sleeping on the floor in his bedroll, as he'd done his entire stay in the Shire. Bergil found that the innkeeper had the right of it.

In the morning, the innkeeper and his family served the travellers a large, hearty breakfast, despite the Thain's protest. 'You shouldn't be spending so much food on us,' he said.

The innkeeper stubbornly shook his head. 'Wouldn't be any food to spend,' he said, 'were it not for yourself, Thain Peregrin, Sir, and Men like him,' nodding at Bergil.

'Eat up, Thain,' Bergil said. 'Who are you to scorn a gift freely given?'

Pippin caught the double meaning in his words and glared at him, but picked up his fork and began to eat. 'The food will be paid for,' he muttered.

'Of course,' Bergil said. 'Probably already has been.'

Pippin nodded. 'Merry was to have sent gold from Buckland back with the wains to Rohan,' he said. 'Tookland will pay for the shipment from Gondor.'

'Of course,' Bergil said again. Pippin cast a sharp glance at him, but his face was sober and the hobbit saw no trace of condescension there. 'Debts must be paid,' the guardsman added softly. Pippin said nothing, but gave his attention back to his breakfast.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List