Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

At the End of His Rope  by Lindelea

Chapter 56. Ruffled Feathers

Estella entered the Master's study, coming to stand with hands on hips. 'All right,' she said grimly. 'What have you done with my husband?'

'That depends,' Pippin said easily.

'On what?' she asked, eyebrows raised.

'On what you wanted him for,' Pippin answered.

Nonplussed, she looked at him, mouth open, until she recalled herself. 'The healer said he was sleeping... but where, he didn't say. I've looked everywhere I can think, including the stables. Thankfully Jewel is still there or I'd think he'd taken himself off somewhere to get away from all the folk badgering him to rest.'

'Including his wife?' Pippin asked, amused.

'Of course,' she said. 'Where is he?'

'He is resting,' Pippin said.

'Where?' Estella demanded.

'We put him in the Thain's bed,' Berilac answered.

'In the Thain's bed?' she echoed. 'Then where's the Thain sleeping?'

'The Hall is famous for its hospitality,' Pippin chuckled. 'I slept in a chair last night.'

'You slept in a...?'

'I could have slept in the stables, I suppose, but they don't keep much brandy there,' he said. 'It's all right, Estella. We kept a watch on your husband to make sure he stayed in the bed where we put him.' She opened her mouth, then closed it again. Pippin raised an eyebrow. 'Next question?'

'How did you know there was another question?'

'There's always another question,' he said reasonably. 'I've a wife of my own, you know.'

Estella nodded. 'All right,' she said. 'Who gave orders that there would be no early breakfast, yet sent a tray to myself and my son? There should be no special treatment...'

Berilac broke in smoothly, 'Mothers expecting, mothers nursing, and all little ones under the age of ten will continue to eat six meals for as long as we can manage them. Anything else would be irresponsible. That is the only special treatment going on, Mistress.' He sighed. 'It is hard on the teens, and tweens, they are always hungry, but at least they are old enough to understand the reasons for rationing. We have put a guard detail on the kitchen to discourage any who are foolish enough to think only of their own stomachs.'

'Six meals... as long as we can manage them...' Estella echoed. 'But there is food being loaded into wagons. And you told me yourself that you had plans to take us through the next harvest.'

'I'm sorry, Mistress, but those plans were based upon the assumption we could trade for more food.'

They saw her blink, close her eyes, swallow hard. 'Mistress?' Berilac asked in concern, half rising from his chair. The Thain motioned him to be seated, moving quickly to Estella's side.

'Estella?' he murmured.

She shook her head. 'I'm all right,' she said. Opening her eyes again, she met his gaze. 'This is what Merry's been so worried about... the drought has become a famine... and what of the wagons I saw being loaded?'

'Other parts of the Shire are worse off than Buckland,' Berilac said. 'The Master gave the order himself, to share what we have with those who have less.'

'Come, sit down,' Pippin urged, guiding Estella to a chair. He jerked his head at Sam, who quickly pulled up a footstool and placed it beneath her feet.

'What else have you not been telling me?' she demanded of Berilac. 'Is my husband...?' She could not finish the question and her breathing became ragged. The memory of Saradoc's heart failing him, the fear that his son's heart would fail as well, especially the way Merry had driven himself these past months, these thoughts broke free from where she'd carefully kept them bound and locked away.

Pippin massaged her shoulders gently, murmuring, 'Calm down, Estella, think of the child. Merry is fine, he's sleeping, we finally got him to listen to some reason.'

In her fear it seemed to her he was hiding the truth from her; something had happened to Merry, and they were afraid to tell her. 'Is he really asleep?' she sobbed. 'Why haven't I seen him since the races?' She buried her face in her hands.

Berilac said urgently, 'The Thain will take you to him now, Estella. You'll see, he is all right.' He understood her fear, but it was not good for her to upset herself to this degree. 'Please, milady,' he said softly. 'Estella... cousin...'

'Calm yourself, Essie,' Pippin said. The old pet name which had always irritated her so proved once again a good distraction; she dropped her hands to glare at him. He smiled, pressed a handkerchief into her hands, nodded and said, 'Now, make yourself presentable and we'll go see if Merry's awake yet.'

'He's really all right?' she gulped. 'I thought...'

'You Bucklanders do entirely too much thinking,' Pippin said. 'Your husband suffers from the same malady, and look where it's got him. Stuck in a bed, with people nagging at him to go back to sleep every time he dares open his eyes.' More gently, he added, 'Are you all right, Estella? Do you want to lie down? Do you want someone to fetch the healer?'

'I want to see my husband,' she said defiantly.

Pippin maintained his mild, soothing tone. 'Very well, Estella, we'll go.' Carefully, he helped her to her feet. Looking to Berilac, he said, 'Send someone to me when the ponies are saddled. I want Faramir to ride to the Bridge, as well.'

'Ride to the Bridge?' Estella asked, stopping on their way to the door. 'Whatever for?'

'We are to meet the King, cousin,' Pippin said. 'I understand the South has enjoyed abundant harvests these past three years. Perhaps we can arrange a trade. That's the general idea, anyhow.'

'Trade for food?' Estella said. 'What do we have?'

Pippin smiled. 'Well, it might take all the gold in Brandy Hall's coffers, but I'm sure Merry wouldn't mind... after all, his father was known as "Scatter-gold". Merry can surpass him by ridding the Hall of all its gold in one throw. They'll forever know him as "Squander-gold".'

Estella shook her head at his nonsense. 'It won't be squandering,' she said softly. 'Not if it keeps hobbit babes from starving.' Pippin nodded and smiled at seeing her calm again. She allowed him to lead her slowly from the room.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List