Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

At the End of His Rope  by Lindelea

Chapter 37. The Proof is in...

'It is good to see you,' Pippin said faintly to Rose and Samwise. 'You made it back in time for the pony races... or are you off to Southfarthing next week, for the... strawberries?' He had made an obvious effort to rally for his visitors, but they could see he was fading again, all too quickly.

'No, we came for the pony races,' Sam said. Rose kissed the Thain gently on his cheek and left the room, not daring to stay any longer. Her eyes brimmed over and a handkerchief appeared silently before her. She looked up to see the steward of Tookland.

'I'm glad you're back,' he said softly. 'The Thain very much wanted to see you again. He wasn't sure he'd be able to, you know.'

'I know,' she said brokenly. He gave her a hug, then went past her into the Thain's room.

'Well, what kind of presents have you brought me?' Pippin said weakly. 'Did you give my greetings to everyone?'

'Everyone who asked about you,' Sam said. 'Not too many. They seemed more interested in that Ernil i Pheriannath fellow, whoever he might be.'

'Ah,' said the Thain.

Sam made a great show of remembering. 'O yes, I did bring you back a little somewhat,' he said. He brought out the precious bottle.

'What's that, then?' Pippin asked. 'It's the wrong colour to be some of the Hall's finest.'

'It's a bit of cheer I picked up along the way,' Sam said. 'Supposed to be very rare and special. Would you like to try some?'

'What does it taste like?' the Thain asked.

'I don't know, I haven't tried it,' Sam said. 'I thought I'd let you taste it first, so if it was bad I'd be forewarned.'

'Everything tastes like mud, anyhow,' Pippin said. 'The cooks have lost their touch. What doesn't taste like mud tastes like dust and ashes.'

'Then eat dust and ashes,' Sam said darkly. 'At least it would be something.'

The Thain sighed, 'O aye,' he said. 'It's the same old story. I hear it from everyone.'

The Mayor filled a glass with the precious liquid. Healer Woodruff intercepted it as Sam passed it to the Thain. She took a sip.

'What, do you think the Mayor would poison the Thain?' Pippin joked.

'Perhaps I could hope to become Thain, with you out of the way,' Sam answered, 'but I'd have to get rid of Regi and Ferdi and a lot of other Tooks as well. Too much trouble, I'll just keep on as Mayor, thank you very much.'

Woodruff raised her eyebrows. 'Tastes like water,' she said. '...but wait ... there's something else to it.'

She passed the cup to the Thain, who sipped. 'I know this...' he said reflectively. He drank again, then looked to Sam. 'Ent draught?' he said in wonder. 'Wherever did you get this?'

'Wherever do you think?' Sam answered. 'Took a little side trip to Isengard, gave your regards to Treebeard.'

Samwise steadied the glass as Pippin took another swallow. The Thain looked up with a frown. 'It is, but it isn't,' he said.

'Isn't what?' Sam asked.

'I'd swear it isn't the same as I had before, even though it's been so long. There were different kinds of Ent draughts that Treebeard gave Merry and me. This is yet another.'

Sam urged him to drink again, helping him lift the glass. 'I told Treebeard about your illness. Perhaps he cooked up something special just for you.'

'He's a good cook, then,' Pippin murmured. 'This is the first thing that hasn't tasted of mud or ashes in weeks.'

Regi reached a hand out as if to take a taste, but Sam intercepted him. 'I don't know how much it takes; Treebeard didn't know. He sent three bottles, but only one survived the trip.'

'Drink up, then,' Regi said to Pippin.

Pippin twinkled. 'I might become the tallest Thain in history.'

'You are the tallest Thain in history,' Ferdibrand said.

'Well, then, I'll beat my own record,' Pippin answered. He finished the glass, and Sam poured another. After drinking the second, he said, 'That's enough for now. I don't know if I could keep it down, should I have any more.' Sam nodded soberly.

'What do you feel?' Healer Woodruff asked curiously.

'Tingling,' Pippin said. 'I recognize the stuff. It sends a tingle from your toes up through your body, all the way to your hair. It's almost as if I can feel my hair stretching and curling and growing.'

'Tingling... even in the bad leg?'

Pippin was quiet a moment, as if listening to his body. 'Yes,' he said slowly. 'There's even some tingling there. I'd forgotten how it feels.'

'Can you move the leg?' Woodruff pressed.

Pippin tried, but could do no more than twitch his toes, all he'd been able to do since the accident. 'No,' he said. 'It's no better.' He smiled at Diamond then, reassuringly. 'But it's no worse, either.'

He looked at Sam. 'Put the bottle away in a safe place. Perhaps we can try some more tomorrow.' His face showed again his weariness; the temporary lift provided by the Ent draught had evaporated. 'I think I can sleep now.' He cocked a mischievous eye at Sam. 'Better get a good rest yourself, Mayor. There'll be quite a welcome feast tomorrow, you know. Hopefully the kitchen will turn out something other than dust and ashes.'

His eyes were already closing as the steward shooed them out of the room.

***

A/N: If the reader is interested in a more in-depth look at this slice of time, please consult A Healer's Tale here on SoA (link provided for your convenience, just click on the bolded, underlined title).





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List