Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

At the End of His Rope  by Lindelea

Chapter 30. Departure

They were up early the next morning, with much hustle and bustle about the Hall. The children kept thinking of things they needed to tell their parents, and Rose kept thinking of things she needed to tell the children. Hugs and kisses were being thrown carelessly about.

When it came time to ride to the Bridge, Estella stood holding Robin and Ruby, while Bilbo, Primrose, Daisy, Hamfast, and Goldilocks gathered around her. The latter two were pouting, for Sam had decreed that everyone under the age of twelve must say their goodbyes at the Hall. Young Pippin, young Merry, Rosie-lass and Frodo-lad would be allowed to ride ponies to the Bridge with the Master of Buckland to see their parents and Ellie on their way.

Rose worked her way down the row of children, with hugs and kisses and endearments, coming at last to Estella and the tiniest Gamgees. 'O my loves...' she began, but could not finish, turning to bury her face in Sam's shoulder.

'Hush now, lass, don't upset the little ones,' he murmured in her ear.

'I cannot...' she said softly. 'I cannot leave them for five months, Sam.'

He smiled in understanding, pushed her back, looked searchingly in her eyes. 'Do you want to stay? It's not too late to change your mind.'

'Are you going?' He nodded. She knew that part of it was his determination to find a cure for the Thain before Pippin's time ran out. She took a deep breath, lifting her head. 'It's only five months,' she said. 'Maybe less, if we don't stay a whole month.'

'That's right, lass,' he said encouragingly. She turned back to the children.

The littlest ones didn't understand, she knew. They thought it was just another visit to the Hall, and Papa and Mama were off on a pony ride, to be back in time for tea. The older children were keeping up a brave face so as not to upset their smaller brothers and sisters.

'Papa, are you going a-journey in the Wild?' Hamfast asked.

'Yes, Ham,' Sam answered.

'Will you see the elf and the dwarf?' Daisy asked.

'We might,' her father smiled.

'Will you tell us stories about them when you get back?' Goldi demanded.

'If you're good and don't make trouble for Auntie Estella and Uncle Merry,' Sam said.

'We'll be good!' all the little Gamgees chorused.

'We're going to make sticky gingerbread!' little Bilbo announced proudly.

' 'ticky!' Ruby confirmed, and little Robin crowed his delight.

'That's lovely,' Rose said with a smile. 'You be good for your Auntie Estella now.' There was a chorus of assent, a last group hug, and the travellers mounted their ponies, Merry taking the lead rope of the pack pony in hand.

The younger hobbits chattered merrily on the ride to the Bridge, excited over the much-anticipated meeting with guardsmen of Gondor. It had been six years since they'd met the King and his entourage at the Bridge, when King Elessar had traveled to Lake Evandim to visit the Northern part of his Kingdom.

The escort was waiting at the Bridge, well before the appointed time. Mounted on their horses, they looked impossibly tall to the young hobbits, and Rosie-lass caught her breath in fear and delight, once again envying Elanor the journey.

'Don't they look handsome, all black and silver?' Rosie-lass whispered to her brothers.

'They look just like the Thain at race day last summer,' Frodo returned.

'Only taller,' irrepressible young Merry added.

'Much taller,' young Pippin could not resist contributing.

The Captain, a grizzled veteran of the War, swung down from his mount, coming to kneel before the hobbits, in order to speak eye-to-eye. 'Well met, Ring-bearer,' he said gravely to Sam, then turned to Merry. 'Master of Buckland?'

'Yes,' Merry nodded.

The Captain smiled. 'I have someone here who wishes to greet you.' He gestured to the guardsmen behind him, and another swung down from his horse to approach the group. The tall soldier looked slightly familiar to Merry, very much like Beregond, as a matter of fact. He followed his Captain's example, going to his knee to greet the hobbits.

'Merry?' he said. 'Do you know me?'

Merry looked at him, puzzled, for the deep voice was not familiar, but then... 'Bergil!' he exclaimed. The other laughed in delight. 'You've grown!'

'So have you,' the other retorted, and Merry patted his paunch.

'Yes, I am a proper hobbit, now. Well-fed and rested from all my endeavors.'

'Is Pippin here?' Bergil said eagerly.

Merry's smile faded. 'No. He would have liked to have been here, I'm sure. I will be travelling to the Great Smials this week; I'll be sure to give him your greetings.'

'Thank you,' Bergil said, looking disappointed, but quickly schooling his expression.

'We are ready to depart,' the Captain said, and at a look from him, Bergil rose, bid Merry farewell, and mounted his horse. 'I thought we would travel to Bree this day,' the Captain told the Gamgees, 'stay over at the Prancing Pony, and then head Southward on the Greenway in the morning.' Sam nodded. Bree was a long day's ride from Buckland, but they were making an early start. At least they need fear no pursuit by Black Riders, this trip.

Sam and Rose made their farewells with the rest of their children, and Sam stopped to have a last word with Merry.

'Take care of him,' he said. 'If he can just keep hold until I get back with Strider or some kind of potion of his...'

'We'll do our best,' Merry said.

'That's all you can do,' Sam said.

'Wave for me as you go through Rohan,' Merry said with a grin, 'and if you stop in at the Golden Hall, give Eomer a bottle of the Hall's finest from me.' He had given Sam several carefully wrapped bottles for Elessar, Faramir, Imrahil, and Eomer.

'Of course, if we don't stop in at Rohan, I can drink it, right?' Sam grinned. He slapped Merry on the back. 'I'll tell them it's from you,' he said. 'Not to worry.'

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List