Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

At the End of His Rope  by Lindelea

Chapter 29. Farewell

It took longer than a week, but Sam received word from the King's escort that they would stop at the inn in Bree, ready to depart at his convenience.

Sam had stern words with the steward and chancellor before he left. 'How could you let him sink so low?' he asked.

'He just wouldn't eat,' Regi said helplessly. 'At first he couldn't keep anything down, and then he stopped trying.'

'Well, your healer knows now how to make up my special tea,' Sam said. 'It's a little thing I came up with after one too many at the Green Dragon, but it seems to work well on other ills as well, should this happen again.'

He looked from Reginard to Ferdibrand. 'You need to invite Merry for regular visits,' he said soberly. 'You're too close to him, if he starts to sink the change is so gradual you don't see it in time. If Merry comes for a week of every month, he can help keep the weeds out of the row.'

Regi smiled at the gardener-Mayor's choice of words. 'Don't you worry,' he said. 'I have it on my calendar, First of every month, "Invite Master to Smials".'

'Good.' Samwise put a hand on the steward's shoulder. 'You've got to keep him going until I get back.'

'What do you mean?' Regi asked, sensing more than the usual weight behind the words.

'You know the old saying, "The hands of the King are the hands of a healer"? I'm going to ask the King for a cure, see what I can bring back. Bring the King himself, if I have to. It's about time he visited that Lake of his again.'

Regi closed his eyes and took a deep breath. 'I hardly dare to hope,' he said, opening his eyes again to meet Sam's. 'Hurry back.'

'I'll do my best,' Sam said. 'Keep him going.'

'I'll do my best,' Regi echoed soberly.

***

Diamond saw him off. Sam was to meet the rest of his family in Buckland; the rest of the Gamgee children would be dividing their time between the Hall and the Cotton farm whilst their parents were away. The Thain had sent notice via pony post to Merry, asking him to relay the news to the King's escort in Bree.

'Bless you,' the Mistress of Tookland said, giving him a hug.

'Next time he falls ill, you send for Merry right away,' Sam said firmly. 'I don't care about politics or what people say or even if they try to take the Thainship away from him again, foolish as people can be. Send Meliloc if you have to, if Regi won't cooperate.'

'O he'll cooperate,' Diamond said grimly. Sam smiled at her, turned to his pony, and mounted. He raised a hand to acknowledge the farewells of the hobbits who'd come out to see him off. Looking up, he caught sight of Pippin, leaning on his Stick, standing by the window of the Thain's study. He nodded, receiving a nod from the Thain in his turn, reined his pony around, and rode away.

The weather was mild; it was still the time of the January thaw, where winter relaxed its relentless grip for a bit, like a dog tugging war, who lets go while seeking a tighter grip. Sam was glad they'd be off before the freezing temperatures returned with a vengeance. He made good time to Buckland despite the sloppy roads.

Merry had the Ferry in operation, anticipating his arrival, which meant he could go directly to the Hall and didn't have to go by way of Brandywine Bridge. The Ferry keeper raised the flag, grinning at Sam. 'They've a lookout in the Hall,' he said. Sure enough, before the Ferry was halfway across the great river, bodies came boiling down the bank to meet him. He was swarmed by a shouting, hugging crowd of Gamgees.

When Sam was able to get his breath again, he looked up to see the Master patiently waiting. Left arm firmly around Rose's waist, he said, 'Merry,' extending his right hand.

Merry took it. 'Well met,' he said. 'How's Pippin?'

'Back on his feet. We've weathered this storm, at least.'

Merry nodded. 'Well, come in, dinner's about to be served. The escort will meet you tomorrow, so you might as well sit by the fire and sip brandy tonight.'

 'Sounds like the perfect way to prepare for a long journey,' Sam smiled.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List