Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

At the End of His Rope  by Lindelea

Chapter 7. Morning After

Pippin slept through until morning, not even waking when Diamond was roused to nurse the twins. He was muzzy when he finally turned over, and she kissed his forehead with a smile. 'Good morning, my love.'

'Is it?' he muttered.

'Mmmm,' she said. 'Methinks we overdosed you last night, trying to keep you warm.'

'Methinks you are right,' he said, turning over and pulling the pillow over his head.

A tap came on the door and the farmer's wife entered with a tray. 'Good morning,' she smiled. 'Are we awake yet?'

There was a groan from under the pillow, and Diamond answered, 'No, not exactly. I think we are not quite ready to greet the day.'

'Ah. Perhaps a cup of tea, then,' the farmer's wife smiled. 'By the way, we weren't properly introduced last night, in all the bustle.' She put the tray down on the dresser and turned to make a courtesy. 'I'm Columbine Took, at your service, Mistress.'

'At yours, and at your family's,' Diamond answered properly. 'You've already done a great service. Thank you for your hospitality.'

'It's the least we can do for The Took and his family,' Columbine answered.

'Biney! we're off!' came the farmer's voice, and a distant door slammed.

'They're going to try to raise your coach,' Columbine said. 'Your lad's gone with them, by the way, and I made sure he had a good breakfast first. But as I was sayin'... If nothing's bad amiss with it you can continue on to the Great Smials later today. Otherwise, you're welcome to stay as long as you need.'

'Thank you,' Diamond said. She heard the babes stir, the crowing noise that meant it was someone else's breakfast time.

'Here,' Columbine said, pouring out a cup of tea and adding milk and honey. 'You get this down quick whilst we get the babes ready for their breakfast.' She took up one little bundle, and her eldest daughter came in to take the other, and cooing and chuckling they took the babes out.

'Pippin, love, would you like a cup of tea?' A wordless moan answered her, and she grinned and turned to her own cup. She was just finishing as the babes reappeared, and soon their nursing was the only sound in the room.

Diamond enjoyed a hearty breakfast in bed whilst her husband steadfastly remained under his pillow. She nudged him, but he made no answer. 'You really ought to eat something, sweetheart.'

'You're not going to start that again,' he came up long enough to mutter. 'You're as bad as Estella.' He buried himself once more.

Midmorning, Columbine came in with a covered mug. 'Healer's orders,' she said cheerfully. 'We're to put the Thain out of his suffering.'

'We've already had the burial,' Diamond said. 'Let me see if I can unearth him again.' She nudged her husband. 'My love, the stables are afire and the roof of the Smials has fallen in.'

'That's nice,' Pippin said from under the pillow. 'Call me when the flames burn nicely down to coals; we'll roast mushrooms and bacon then.' She tickled him and he slapped her hand away, finally coming to the surface.

'Good morning, Sir,' Columbine said unperturbed. 'The healer says you're to drink this all down at one go, while it's still hot. It'll do your head some good.'

'Taking my head off would do the most good, I suspect,' he muttered, but he gulped down the tea and handed back the mug with gruff thanks. She made him a graceful courtesy (Diamond suspected she'd been practicing once the Thain was housed under her roof) and left the room.

There was another tap on the door.

'My, we're popular this morning,' Pippin said. 'Come!'

Ferdibrand stuck his head in. 'You unpickled yet?' he asked.

'Not quite, but getting fresher every moment,' Pippin answered.

Ferdibrand laughed and entered the rest of the way. 'Good morning, Diamond,' he said.

'Good morning to you, too!' Diamond said. 'How's the coach?'

'Remarkably intact, just a few scratches and tears. The structure is sound. We can be off to Tuckborough whenever you wish.' He peered intently at Pippin.

'What is it?' the Thain said, interpreting the look.

Ferdibrand shook his head. 'You have got to be the luckiest hobbit in the Shire.'

'I keep telling him that,' Diamond smiled, twining her arm through her husband's, but Ferdibrand did not smile in return.

'By all rights there ought to be two of you this morning, cousin,' he said soberly.

'That would make it easier to be Thain, now wouldn't it. Could be two places at once,' Pippin said.

'What do you mean, cousin?' Diamond asked.

A look of wonder crossed Ferdibrand's face and his eyes focused on a far away point, seeing something not in the room with them. 'There was a small stump,' he said slowly, making a circle with his two hands, 'not large, but sturdy enough to take the weight of the coach, even strong enough to stand up under that weight for hours.' He looked back to Pippin and Diamond. 'Part of the frame rested on't. Didn't take much for the coach to slip off, just a little jiggle really. A handspan to either side...' he shook his head again, 'just a handspan, cousin, and Tookland would be looking for a new Thain this morning.' He straightened, said, 'Well, I've no time for any more chit chat. Got to see to packing up the coach again.'

'Do we have ponies?' Pippin asked dryly.

'No, I thought I'd pull the coach myself,' Ferdibrand said. 'What kind of question is that?'

'Thank you, Ferdibrand,' Diamond said.

'Right. We can leave just after elevenses if you wish.'

'That'll be fine,' Pippin answered. 'Can't lie about in bed all the day, no matter how good the company is.' Diamond gave him a push and he grinned.

'All right then, I'll see to things,' Ferdibrand said, and left the room.

Soon after the healer breezed in. 'Good morning, Sir, and how did we sleep?'

Pippin eyed him warily. 'I don't know about you, but I slept like a rock until people started rooting under me like a hog after truffles.'

'Fine, fine,' the healer smiled. He looked piercingly at the Thain. 'Those herbs ought to be taking effect soon.'

'They are, thank you,' Pippin admitted. He stretched.

'Well, then, let's take a look at those legs of yourn,' the healer said. He pulled back the covers. Diamond watched the examination closely. 'Looks as if you've come out relatively intact,' was the final verdict.

'Good,' Pippin said, starting to swing his legs to the side of the bed.

His right leg dragged, and the healer came to attention. Without comment, he helped the Thain to sit up. 'Easy, now, Sir, let's take it slow.' When Pippin's feet were firmly on the floor, he rose, frowning with concentration, and would have fallen if the healer had not been on the spot. Easing him back down, Botham said, 'Let's see what the trouble is.' He took a pin from his lapel. 'Now, Sir, I'd like you to lie back and close your eyes whilst we check things out.' He began to poke his way along the left leg, murmuring, 'D'you feel that, now? How about that?'

Diamond watched her husband endure this treatment with unusual restraint, and she began to worry. Something must be truly wrong for him to be so cooperative. The healer finished with the left leg, turning to the right. He patiently went over the leg several times, then sat back, sticking the pin back in his lapel. He proceeded to manipulate the leg, giving orders to the Thain all the while. Finally he helped Pippin to sit up, propping pillows behind him.

'What news do you have for me?' Pippin asked soberly.

'Well, ye can wiggle your toes, that's something,' said the healer. 'No bones are broken that I can tell, though I could feel an old break, long healed.' Pippin nodded. 'What does the leg feel like?'

'Like it's asleep. Some pins and needles, just not the one you poked into me.'

The healer nodded. 'That's an encouraging sign. Let's try again, see if it'll take your weight.' He eased the Thain over to the side of the bed, steadied him as he rose. Diamond held her breath; he was standing. She started to let the breath out, only to see the treacherous leg fold beneath him, threatening to spill him to the floor but for the healer's firm grasp.

Pippin sat down again, raising a trembling hand to rub the back of his neck. 'Well,' he said. 'We seem to have a problem.'





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List