Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Mortal Memories  by LOTRFaith

Disclaimer: Own nothing of Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien. New Line Cinema. Any of the notable characters or places. Written for enjoyment purposes only.

Chapter 4

----

Settling down that night underneath the bright stars, Legolas could not help but voicing his questions.

"How long have you known I was hiding something?"

Thranduil chuckled. "Ever since the first day you came back after you went off into the wild."

"Why didn't you say anything?" Legolas pressed.

"I knew you would come forward sooner or later." Thranduil replied with a smile. "So I had patience and waited."

Legolas suppressed an urge to snort. His Adar? Patient?

"Don't believe me hmm?" Thranduil laughed.

The fire crackled merrily as if to laugh along with the father and son. The air was much clearer away from civilization Thranduil had found with appreciation. Often he would find himself almost choked with the life teeming around him and his family.

After years of living away from civilization, it was quite difficult to change to a city like atmosphere. Though 'his' wood elves could easily slip in and out of such grand places as Lothlorien or Rivendell, they had always loved returning to the palace hidden deep within the woods of Eryn Lasgalan.

"Legolas?"

"Hmm?"

"Have you talked to Mithrandir lately?"

Legolas sighed lightly, dropping down onto his bedroll. "Nay." He replied softly. His gaze dropped down to stare at the cheery fire.

There were a few moments of silence as Legolas carefully sorted his thoughts and emotions apart. "You know, after I talked to Elladan and Elrohir I realized that I was not the last of the fellowship." His voice was quiet. "But then I also realized that I was picturing the fellowship in a different light. Mithrandir." He smiled. "Gandalf was a part of the fellowship of the ring."

Thranduil nodded.

"But." Legolas continued. "He was not part of my fellowship."

Thranduil's brow furrowed in confusion, not understanding what his son meant.

"Mithrandir was there when we charged against Mount Doom and Sauron's full wrath. Mithrandir was there when Aragorn became King Elessar and married Arwen. But..." Legolas stopped, taking a deep breath, forcing his emotions under control. "Mithrandir was not there when Faramir married Eowyn. Mithrandir was not there when Eomer married Lothiriel. Mithrandir was not there when Eldarion was born. Mithrandir was not there when Aragorn almost died of a poisoned blade. He wasn't there when Eomer almost died from an assassination attempt." Legolas stopped abruptly, looking up into his father's eyes. "He missed so many things Ada. So many things."

His heart twisting within him, Thranduil rose from his own bedroll and clasped his son into his arms.

"Everyone says that I am not the last of the fellowship. And I am not the last of the fellowship of the ring." His voice choking, Legolas pressed on. "But I am the last of my fellowship. The fellowship of Merry, Pippin, Sam, Gimli, Aragorn, Arwen, Eomer, Eowyn, Faramir, Lothiriel, Imrahil, so many friends that I made after Mithrandir left."

Thranduil was silent, letting Legolas spill out some of the hurt.

"They keep saying 'You're not the last of the fellowship.'" Legolas whispered. "But in truth, I am." He leaned his head against the strength of his Adar. "I am."

For the first time, in he didn't know how long, Legolas felt like he was home. Held in arms that loved him, really loved him. All the pain in the universe could not disrupt this moment in time. And he didn't want to let it go. Yet those moments could never last, but they were meant to be treasured forever.

He fell asleep like that, cradled in his Adar's strong arms. Looking for all the world an innocent elfling without a care in the world. The lines of emotional pain soothed from the careworn face and for the first time in a long time, Legolas slept with no memories of his mortal friends.

---

The bright sun woke Legolas up, combined with the merry chirping of the birds and the happily babbling brook nearby.

He yawned rubbing the sleep from his eyes. "Ada?" He called out, when he realized his father was nowhere to be seen.

Silence met his query.

He stood and stretched, easing his muscles back into working order. He twisted this way and that, hearing a pop as air pockets were released from his bones.

A low chuckle brought his head up and his hands reaching for his bow and quiver still on the ground.

"What are you doing here?" Legolas demanded as Elladan and Elrohir stepped into his view.

"Haven't you heard?" Elladan cried out easily stepping over an empty bedroll and embracing Legolas enthusiastically.

Elrohir simply stood with a grin on his face, content to let his older brother (by a few seconds) tell their best friend the good news.

"No." Legolas disentangled himself from Elladan's embrace. "What are you talking about?"

"You haven't heard?" Elladan cried incredulous.

"Heard what?" Despite himself Legolas was getting a little annoyed.

"Tasari has come! Arielle has too! And Thorinell and Lothgil too! They have been allowed to come from the Halls of Mandos!" Elladan cried, promptly yanking Legolas' arm and impatiently tugging upon him to get him to return with him to the court of Finarfin.

Legolas yanked his arm back. "What?"

"Tasari, Arielle, Thorinell and Lothgil are all in your house waiting for you to return!" Elladan practically shouted.

"Tas and 'Gil are here?" Legolas whispered, realization finally dawning upon him.

"Yes." Elladan proceed to yank on Legolas' arm again. "They are waiting for you back at your house."

His hands shaking, Legolas stuffed the bedrolls away and began to clear the camp, his mind in turmoil.

'I wonder if they saw Aragorn.' Legolas thought. 'Or Gimli, or Frodo, or anyone!'

Only after everything was packed and the three friends were actually leaving did any of them think about Thranduil.

---

The trees were laughing, delighting in the presence of a wood elf. Though it had not been long since a wood elf had been underneath their tall boughs, it was the first time that a wood elf actually paid attention to them. His thoughts were not filled with pain and sorrow, but rather with delight and happiness. His heart was a little different matter however.

Thranduil would always love the trees he had lived under in Middle Earth. Eryn Lasgalan would forever hold a niche in his heart, but here underneath such grand trees, the pain was lessening every so slightly.

'Who are you?' The trees whispered.

'I am King Thranduil.' The elf inclined his head slightly as he was meeting another on his own level of royalty.

'You are like him.' The trees alleged. 'But your thoughts are not full of pain and sorrow.'

Thranduil smiled sadly. 'He is my son. His heart has been hurting for many, many years now.'

'Why?" The trees inquired. 'Why does not he delight in trees as you? What is his pain that he cannot hear the song of the trees?'

Thranduil closed his eyes, the last bit of news wholly surprising and unexpected. Legolas had loved to listen to the song of the trees ever since he was born and to hear that his heart was so full of pain that he couldn't hear the song was nothing more than appalling.

'There are two more that join your son.' The trees informed the king. 'They cannot hear the song as you can but they can understand it a little.' The trees laughed, their limbs shaking in amusement.

'Elladan and Elrohir.' Thranduil replied, a smile upon his own lips. 'They were not born to hear the song of trees, but rather the song of the sea.'

The trees sighed. 'The song of the sea holds many hearts.'

Thranduil nodded in agreement. 'But.' He thought. 'The song of the trees holds my heart.'

"Some of it.' The trees returned gaily. 'But the song of your family holds your heart in a greater hold.'

"Ada!!!" Legolas' yell instantly turned him around.

'He is not hurt.' The tree reassured him. 'He has received good news from the two dark haired ones.'

"Ada!!!"

"I am here!" Thranduil called back.

Panting from running as fast and as hard as he could, Legolas broke into the clearing, his feet tangled in some dead brush, he tripped and fell.

But he was quickly back on his feet. "Ada!"

Thranduil blinked. He had not seen Legolas this excited in a long time. "What is it?" He questioned.

"Tas! And Gil!" Legolas yanked on Thranduil's arm dragging him towards the campsite.

"Legolas what in the world are you talking about?" Thranduil asked, trying in vain to pull his arm from Legolas' grip.

Abruptly stopping, Legolas turned to face his Adar. "Tasari, Arielle, Thorinell and Lothgil are here." He said, then whirled around and continued to pull Thranduil behind him.

His mind in a whirl, Thranduil let his son pull him along. 'His little Tasari? His little princess 'Gil? Here in the Valinor?'

"Who... Who told you?" Thranduil asked at last, forcing his thoughts to focus on one task, to get back home.

He stopped suddenly. "Legolas." He pulled his arm from his son's grasp yet again. "You don't mind that we have to turn back do you?"

Legolas blinked. In his excitement, he had completely forgotten about the cave. He sent a reassuring smile to the other. "No Ada." He said softly. "I would not want to delay seeing Tas and Gil for anything in the world."

Wrapping his arms around the slender frame, Thranduil gave Legolas a quick hug. "Then come." He grinned. "Tasari and Gil are waiting for us." He quickly strode ahead, this time tugging on Legolas' arm.

Legolas laughed and soon they were racing past Elladan and Elrohir who watched with not a small bit of amusement.

He had not raced in several years, Legolas thought rather sadly as the trees blurred as he past them. Taking a firm hold on the adrenaline rush, and with a reckless gleam in his eyes Legolas leapt up in the trees and began to race from bough to bough as easily as if he were walking upon the ground.

Hearing laughter in the treetops the twins looked up to see Legolas high above them racing along as merrily as was possible.

Nudging Elrohir, Elladan spoke up, nearly shouting to ensure that Legolas would hear them. "Oh look Elrohir! A blonde haired squirrel! Shall we catch him?"

And suddenly Legolas was standing before them, his chest heaving, eyes alight with a wild adrenaline rush and his hair messed from the wind he had created.

His lips were turned up in a feral, daring grin. "You can try." He challenged and with that was gone with only laughter upon the air to show that he had ever been there.

Exchanging startled yet gleeful glances, the twins cried out their agreement and sped after the prince.

Thranduil slowed down as soon as he saw Legolas leap into the trees. He smiled wryly, he could easily remember doing that he when he was much younger.

He sighed. Tasari and Lothgil were in the Valinor, as were Thorinell and Arielle. So why hadn't his own Adar and Naneth come to the Valinor? Or mayhap they were already in the Valinor, but he had not found them yet.

His heart suddenly troubled, Thranduil continued onward after his son and his son's two best friends.

---

After breaking into the large clearing that held one of the larger settlements, the twins and Legolas broke even as they continued to race towards a statue where every race they had run had ended.

Other elves quickly gathered to cheer them on as they usually did. So far Legolas had been the champion at all but two races and this time was no different.

Though gasping for breath, Legolas pressed on to the large flet where he lived, Elladan and Elrohir following him.

He grasped the handrail and stopped, bending over still gasping for breath. He had not as such in such a long time that his lungs had seemed to forget how to properly breath in a longer race than usual.

"Are you alright?" Elladan asked breathlessly.

Legolas nodded, just as Elladan knew he would. Indeed if Legolas had told him that he wasn't he might have been seriously worried.

Sitting down on the step, Legolas took several deep breaths and after a few moments regained his breath. Looking pensively upward towards the flet he could not help but wonder what his older brother and sister had gone through. If there was a sort of physical pain involved in returning or perhaps a mental pain.

He slowly began to ascend the stairs, Elladan and Elrohir behind him.

His hands suddenly shaking, he carefully opened the door. Laughter greeted him. He could easily identify the different voices in the other room. Thalion was here along with Miriwen, the twins and Marielle, as was Lomion and his family, and Loriel with her family. Finally, the entire family was together again.

Not even realizing that he was shaking Legolas hurriedly walked down the short hall and into his Adar's study.

They were all there, all but his Ada that is.

Lomion and Lainiel with their children Bregolas, Orophin, Deirdre, Morwen and another on the way. Loriel and Galador with their children Jehle, Eayre, and Linnete. Thalion and Miriwen with their children Danuas, Dawriel, and Marielle. Tasari and Arielle. Lothgil and Thorinell.

"Legolas!" Lothgil noticed him first. She quickly stood and rushed over to him enveloping him in an affectionate hug. "Oh 'Las." She whispered in his ear. "I have missed you so much."

Squeezing him once more, she stepped back and let Tasari wrap his around the slender figure. "Hello 'Las."

Suddenly unable to find his voice, Legolas could only bury his face into Tasari's shoulder and hold him tighter. He had not realized how much he had missed Tasari and Lothgil until he was once more able to feel them in his arms.

He pulled back, trying in vain to smile, but found that he couldn't with the tears in his eyes, threatening to fall. And indeed there were a few that he saw had escaped and were on Tasari's shoulder.

He struggled to keep his emotions down, but found that they were overwhelming him.

"Hey." Tasari said softly, wiping a tear away from Legolas' cheek. "What's this?"

With a choked sob, Legolas once more buried his face into Tasari's shoulder and clung on for dear life.

He felt Lothgil come behind him and wrap her arms around him as well, securing Legolas in a complete embrace.

Closing his eyes, Legolas took a deep breath, his mind flying back to memories of an elfling and being held by Tasari or Lothgil.

He pulled back, swallowing his tears and forced a smile.

"I've missed you so much." He whispered, looking at the two before him.

Lothgil smiled, gently brushing the few errant tears from her little brother's cheek.

There was such pain in his eyes, Lothgil saw. What had happened in the years she spent in the Halls of Mandos? What pain in Legolas' life had put such turmoil in his eyes? That even here, safely tucked away in the loving arms of his family and friends the pain had not decreased?

Her thoughts broke off as soon as she saw someone in the doorway, someone very dear to her.

"Ada." Her lips moved silently and then she was flying across the room and into his arms, Tasari right behind her.

Legolas stood back and greeted his sister and brother in law, his eyes still red and slightly swollen from his tears. He pulled Arielle into a quick but warm embrace and clasped Thorinell's wrist in a warrior's greeting before also giving the other elf a quick embrace.

He then sank to his knees next to Lalaith, his head resting on the side of her knee as the rest of the family watched Lothgil, Tasari and their Ada reunite.

"I am sorry for breaking up what you had planned Legolas." Lalaith said quietly. "But I thought you would want to know rather than wait until you returned."

"Do not be sorry." Legolas flashed a quick smile, taking her hand into his. "I am glad you sent Elladan and Elrohir."

Chaos reigned for a few moments as everyone shifted to make sure that everyone could sit down.

Thranduil watched with a fond smile as his children and grandchildren settled down. He had been truly blessed.

---

Night slowly settled upon the land, lamps were lit but the conversations never died down. There was much that Tasari and Lothgil wanted to know and much that the others wanted to tell.

A supper was hastily gathered as the females in the group joined in the kitchen to prepare it. The males were left alone, but Thorinell wanted to see some maps and so Lomion and Thalion joined him to look for them. Galador and Thranduil were discussing a book that they had both read and Legolas found the perfect opportunity to talk alone with Tasari.

"Tasari." He quickly gained his brother's attention.

"Hmm?"

"May I speak with you? In private?" Legolas asked hurriedly.

Tasari's eyes narrowed, but agreeing they stood and went into Legolas' room.

"What is it that you wish to speak to me about?" Tasari asked sitting upon the neatly made bed.

"Do you remember Strider?" Legolas asked.

"Elrond's foster son?" Tasari clarified.

Legolas nodded.

"Yes." Tasari replied a little cautiously. "I do."

"Have you seen him?" Legolas asked excitedly.

"Strider?" Tasari repeated incredulously. "Have I seen Strider?"

"Yes!" Legolas exclaimed.

"And where would I see him?" Tasari inquired.

"In the Halls of Mandos of course!" Legolas cried out, becoming rather vexed.

Tasari sighed. He had heard bits and pieces of what Legolas had been though and he knew what he was about to say would only tear his little brother's heart more.

"Legolas." He began. "Mortals are not allowed into the Halls of Mandos. It is for elves only. Mortals go somewhere else." He looked down at his hands. "I thought you knew that."

He quickly looked up at the gasping breath. Legolas had gone completely white, his hands were shaking and his eyes were distant.

"Legolas!" Tasari cried out, immediately standing to rush over to his brother's side. "Are you unwell?"

Legolas swallowed. "Nay." He whispered. "I am well. I am well."

His mind reeling from the shock of the statement, Legolas could barely comprehend his brother's words.

"Do you want me to get Ada?" Tasari questioned worriedly.

"No!" Legolas exclaimed. "I... I... I... Just... I... I just need to think." Legolas said. "I... I... I... I need to think."

"Are you sure?" Tasari asked.

"I am." Legolas nodded.

"Then I will leave you to think." Tasari said quietly.

"Thank you." Legolas choked back his tears.

After the door softly shut, Legolas crumbled. He buried his face in his hands and tried to control his breathing.

It didn't work.

Half afraid that someone would hear him, Legolas quickly escaped out his window and quietly down the tree and fled into the night.

* Quote taken with permission from Arldetta's Star Wars fic - Forsaken and Begotten. Chapter 12 - When the Lion roars and the Lamb cries.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List