Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Mortal Memories  by LOTRFaith

Disclaimer: Own nothing of Lord of the Rings, J.R.R Tolkien. New Line Cinema and actors or charaters or places. For reading and writting enjoyment purposes only.

This chapter is not beta read

Chapter 3

Three days passed since the late night reunion of the two sons of Elrond and the youngest son of Thranduil. The three elves spent whatever time they could together. The twins being careful not to mention anyone or anything back on Middle Earth and Legolas being careful not to mention any of the Fellowship.

Both Elladan and Elrohir tried to pry what secret Legolas had, but neither were able to do so. They had found out that Legolas had not told anyone else either. Which surprised Lomion and Thalion, who both knew that Legolas could keep very little from their Ada. It seemed that Legolas' secret was of somewhat importance judging the way that he would smile mysteriously about it, but refused to say anything.

No matter the questions, Legolas stood firm in his secret, something that secretly scared Thranduil. There were a few things that he as an Adar did not pry onto his son's life, but this was one time that he did try to interfere, but was rebuffed as was the rest of his family and Legolas' friends.

They were all puzzled by Legolas' 'secret' and even more so the fact that he refused to speak to any of them about it. It was highly unusual, so much so that Thranduil called a secret meeting to ask the a few friends what he should do.

His friends had no answer, but to leave the young elf alone and let him in his own time come forward. Though he hated to admit defeat, Thranduil finally agreed to do so and told his sons, daughter and wife to do so as well. Bowing to their Adar's wishes, they acquiesced and left their youngest brother alone.

Legolas said nothing, but was secretly amused at all the fuss, but he knew that there was good reason to fuss, but now was not the time to reveal it.

A year passed. The twins settled down with their Adar and Naneth, but would often-invited Legolas over or vice versa. They had all quit trying to find out what Legolas' secret was, but each often still wondered what it could possibly be.

Life seemed to go for all the Elves, but there were times when Elladan or Elrohir would question the whereabouts of Legolas, but would be met with a shrug. Legolas' family had long learned to let the prince have his own time and space when he needed it.

Everyone knew that Legolas still hurt, but there wasn't much that he would let anyone do. So mutually agreeing to back off, his friends and family strove to ensure that their topic would not land on Middle Earth, the Fellowship or anything else pertaining to Legolas' dead friends.

Though Elladan and Elrohir still carried their own hurts after finally leaving their mortal sister behind forever, they were very careful not to mention anything that would hurt Legolas further. Though an occasional dropped word would bring a grimace not only to Legolas' face, but to the Twins as well.

Life passed slowly for Legolas, for in the years upon Middle Earth after Sauron had at last been defeated, he forced himself to count the days, months and years as a mortal would. He had watched his friends grow old in the span of what he thought was only a blink of an eye. He would often not visit Minas Tirith and the royal family for a few years and then would be shocked at the new lines upon his friend's faces.

So he had learned to count days and months, making sure he visited more often than he usually would. Though the Elves all thought that Legolas visited his mortal friends too often, his mortal friends thought he didn't visit enough.

Torn between both mortal and immortal reasoning, he finally told everyone that he would visit Minas Tirith and Gimli every six months. And so he made himself a calendar and would mark the days gone by and would often find himself counting the days until he would visit his friends.

And now, in the Valinor where time was endless, he found the days dragged by. He told no one that his mindset had changed, and continued to struggle though each day.

"Ada?" He questioned one day.

"Yes Nin Ion? Thranduil replied vaguely, his attention fixed upon a sheet of paper in front of him.

"I want to show you something." Legolas said softly.

Slowly Thranduil raised his head to look at his youngest son. "Oh?" He responded.

Legolas nodded. "I want to show you first, and then I will show the others." He hesitated. "Is that alright with you?"

"Yes." Thranduil smiled. "That is perfectly alright with me. When do you wish to leave?"

Legolas shrugged. "When can you leave?" He asked.

"I have meeting with the king tomorrow morning, but nothing after that." Thranduil critically studied a small note in front of him, words of a summoning scrawled within the folds.

"Can we leave after your 'meeting'?" Legolas asked, a slight stress on 'meeting'. He knew that the 'meetings' between two ruling kings could be rather interesting to watch, since both kings had the same amount of stubbornness. The 'meetings' usually turned into arguments that both kings usually sent apologies to each other after a few weeks to calm down.

He grinned. He had been lucky enough to watch his father and King Finarfin 'talk', and had been greatly amused by it, as had been Gimli, who had told Legolas afterward that Thranduil's temperament had at last been confirmed.

Legolas had laughed and teased Gimli that the dwarf was lucky enough to be on the widely known temperamental king's good side. Gimli had shaken his head and grinned, easily recognizing the truth in his friend's words.

Thranduil twirled the seal opener with his fingers, contemplating his son. He knew that Legolas thoroughly enjoyed it when he and the Noldor king faced off and he also knew that Legolas always tried to get things smoothed back as quickly as possible between the two. But perhaps if Finarfin did not receive an apology from him for a few days it might make the Noldor wonder how things truly were and it had the possibility of making the Noldor send him an apology instead of the other way around, for Legolas usually got him to apologize first instead of Finarfin.

He grinned. 'Just perhaps.' He thought. "Right after our meeting?" Thranduil clarified.

Legolas nodded.

"Very well, I shall have my things packed." He stood and stretched. "I shall inform your Naneth of our impending departure and you can make sure we have plenty of food." He made a wry face. "And please don't make it all lembas and dried fruit."

Legolas laughed. "Thank you Ada." He said quietly, wrapping his arms around him.

'Oh Legolas.' Thranduil thought sadly. 'I would move the earth if only to see you happy again.'

Even though he was waiting in another room, completely sealed off from Finarfin's throne room, Legolas could still hear the angry shouts the two kings exchanged.

Sighing and shaking his head, he drew out a book of drawing paper and began to draw with a novel thing called a pencil. It was a slender stick, holed and a piece of lead was stuck in it, then it was sealed off at one end. A knife was used to sharpen it, but over all it was a handy thing to have.

Easily drawing the elegant arches of the waiting room's doors, his hand seemed to take a mind of it's own and he began to draw a very familiar corridor that he had not seen in a long time. Doors quickly sprang on the sides of the halls, and there striding down the center was Aragorn, closely followed by Eldarion. The boy's face was alight with joy and his arms were already flung out to welcome the Elven prince back to Minas Tirith.

Slamming the book shut with a force that even surprised him, he became aware of a presence standing at the doorway.

Looking up he froze. "Lady Galadriel." He immediately began to rise, but was stopped by a smile.

"Do not arise for my account young Legolas." Galadriel smiled. She paused and turned to listen. "It seems as though my Adar and your Adar are still at wills." She laughed lightly.

Legolas had to smile. "Aye my lady, it would seem so."

"May I?" She gestured towards the seat next to him.

"Of course!" Legolas practically jumped up to seat her.

"How fares the house of Thranduil?" Galadriel asked smoothly.

"We are well." Legolas replied equally calm. "Lomion's wife Lainiel is expecting any day now."

Galadriel smiled, delighted. "A boy or girl?" She asked.

"I believe Lomion said it was a boy." Legolas replied. His face twisted slightly. "He wants to name him Eldarion."

"A son of the Eldar." Galadriel translated the name. "Why does your heart grieve over the name?" She asked curiously. She knew of course why Legolas' heart twisted within him at the mere mention of the name, but she wanted Legolas to know as well.

"Eldarion is the name Aragorn gave to his first born son." Legolas smiled. "His only son and heir." He sighed. "I watched Eldarion grow from a babe, to a young lad to a strong man who easily took the reign from his father. And I cannot imagine any other Eldarion taking Eldarion's place in my memory."

"Ah." Galadriel smiled sadly. She understood in many more ways than Legolas could or would ever know. "May I see your drawing?" She asked after a few moments of silence.

"It would be my pleasure." Legolas opened to the page of his latest drawing and handed the book to her.

Galadriel's fingers gently caressed the boy's face. "My great grandchild." She whispered. "Elladan and Elrohir have shown me pictures of him when he was older and the years had already worn him down, but this." She smiled softly. "Ai he was a beautiful child." She fingered the rest of the pages. "May I?"

Caught up in his own memories of the dark haired child, Legolas could only nod and watched with growing pangs in his heart as his private drawings were displayed.

Pictures of Gimli laughing as several children climbed over him, pictures of Aragorn, Arwen and Eldarion standing proud beside the throne of Gondor, pictures of the royal family in a less formal setting, Aragorn on the ground laughing with Eldarion, Merry and Pippin piled upon him, with Gimli, Arwen, Faramir, Ewoyn, Eomer, Lothiriel, Sam and his Rosie in the background all laughing along, pictures of all of his friend's alone, pictures of his friends all-together, pictures of the just the males, pictures of just the females.

The book was nearly full of drawn pictures, some old, some new, some had a few suspicious places where it looked like the ink had run.

Galadriel said nothing, but her heart was filled with sorrow at the pain the young elf beside her was going through. He dearly loved his friends as much as he loved his family. But the two were cleaved into two completely different places.

Her fingers stopped at a page. A babe lay within the page. His face was at peace; the dark eye lashes covering the gray eyes beneath. A necklace was grasped within the tiny fist. The Eveningstar. The hair was faintly curled and spoke of a full head of curly hair when grown. The round features of the child were clearly pronounced, yet Galadriel could clearly see that the child bore many characteristics of both parent's sides. And though only one ear showed, she could clearly see that the tip of the ear was very faintly pointed.

Her fingers gently caressed the cheek of the sleeping child, so real, so lifelike. It was hard to believe the child had lived and died a long time ago.

"Eldarion." She said with a sigh.

She raised her eyes to meet those of the young prince's. "It is a beautiful drawing, Legolas." She said quietly.

Legolas blushed faintly, his eyes still on the page. He could so clearly remember that day. It had been a few months after his birth, Aragorn was in a court session while Arwen was furiously planning his birthday celebration in secret, and so the Elven prince had been put to work babysitting. Gimli had already been recruited to ensure that Aragorn would have no knowledge of it and Legolas had sat quietly, alone watching Eldarion sleep.

Tearing his thoughts away Legolas focused them back to the present. "I have a drawing for you." He said quietly. "I have been meaning to give it to you, but." He shrugged slightly helpless. "I found that whenever I tried, I had to make just one more copy of it."

He bent over and grasped a pack at his feet. "I knew that I might see you today and brought it along." It was framed in a beautiful woodwork, with gentle elvish script along the edge, but it was the picture that caught Galadriel's attention. It was in full color, from the eyes to the intricate buttons. Aragorn stood, with Arwen at his side and their children surrounding them.

Reading the script it boldly proclaimed: King Elessar, Queen Arwen, and their children.

Tracing the faces of her granddaughter, grandson and her great grandchildren, Galadriel smiled. "Thank you Legolas. It is a gift I shall cherish."

She bestowed a gentle kiss upon the prince's forehead, handed him back the book almost full of drawings and taking the picture, she walked out leaving the prince to his thoughts once more.

Gently thumbing though the pages Legolas swallowed back tears. How he longed to be back in the past. Surrounded by his friends and family.

He refused to let his tears fall. He had refused them for a long time and it was breaking his heart. He tried to swallow the lump his throat, but for some reason it wouldn't budge. He reached up to try and massage it away, but it had no effect. He took several deep breaths to control his emotions, but found that it only seemed to help the tears that wanted to fall.

"Legolas?"

"Yes Adar?" His voice wobbled.

Thranduil came closer, concerned. "Are you alright?"

Finding himself unable to speak, Legolas could only shake his head.

"What is a matter my little one?" Thranduil's low melodious voice was suddenly at his side.

With shaking hands, Legolas opened his drawing book and showed him the page that showed friends laughing at the antics of Pippin. Then flipped a couple more pages to show Aragorn standing with a grin on his face holding the newly born Eldarion in his arms.

Thranduil's heart sank. There had been many times in Middle Earth, he had often wondered what Legolas might have done had he not been fighting Orcs, spiders and wargs for much of his life. He had gotten a slight glimpse of what might his son had been after Sauron had been defeated.

Legolas loved to draw. He had loved to draw ever since he was a child. He drew with a skill and natural ease that often left people in tears. Since his memory was crystal clear he would often reach back in the past and draw with such intricate details that it seemed as though he had just seen it happen.

But these drawing instead of bringing back memories of happiness, they only brought back memories of a bittersweet time that would never be replayed in real life.

Very carefully taking the book from his son's hand, Thranduil closed it and sat down. "Why do you do this to yourself ion?" He asked, his voice tender despite the question.

"Lady Galadriel wanted to see them." Legolas replied his voice low. "I couldn't refuse."

Thranduil sighed, he cupped Legolas' chin in his hand. "I hate seeing you like this Legolas." He said. "I hate seeing you in pain."

Legolas swallowed, forcing his emotions back behind the wall carefully erected and put into place. "I'm sorry Ada." He whispered, giving the older elf a brief but sincere hug. "Are you ready to leave?"

Thranduil eyed Legolas curiously. He could almost see the mask drop over his son's face and that worried him. He knew that Legolas was hiding his emotions, but every tactic he tried to help him release his emotions was easily avoided or the subject was changed.

Little did Legolas realize though that with every question deflected, every subject avoided, he retreated further into a dream like world, where his friends and family lived happily together. His reality was no longer the Valinor. His reality was Middle Earth.

His friends watched with growing concern and sadness, but since Legolas refused help they were powerless.

Thranduil sighed and nodded. "Aye, I am ready."

They stood together. Father and son, tall and strong, proud and stubborn. Equal in many things, different in others.

"Ada?" Legolas questioned as they walked back to their home.

"Hmmm?"

"Do you..." He hesitated. "I mean... Are you...?" Legolas bit his lip not really knowing how to phrase the question he wanted to ask.

Thranduil chuckled. "Yes?"

"You're not afraid of caves are you?" Legolas blurted out.

Thranduil raised an eyebrow at question. "No. Why?"

Instead of replying, Legolas just grinned and continued to walk on.

Shaking his head exasperated at his youngest antics, Thranduil just smiled and kept his questions to himself. He would find out exactly what Legolas meant but only when Legolas chose to reveal it himself.

They quietly walked side by side until they reached the flet. After years of staying in a 'cave' Thranduil still found a silent thrill whenever he climbed the leafy boughs.

After many years Gimli had been able to 'climb' the tree to get to the flet. Legolas had laughingly built his small friend a stairway the wove around the tree, stabilizing itself and making sure that Legolas did not have to nail the stairs to the tree. It was similar to the many staircases that had been built in Lothlorien. Though this tree could not be compared to many of the giant trees where stairs were necessary, it had enough height that the flet rested easily within the boughs.

Lalaith greeted them as she usually did, with a smile upon her lips and smothered laughter in her eyes. She knew all to well the 'discussions' her husband and the high king had. She placed a kiss upon her husband's lips and a kiss upon her youngest son's forehead.

"Thalion, Miriwen, the twins and Marielle are here." She informed them. "Dawriel has something she wishes to show Legolas and Danuas thinks that somehow his grandada will allow him to go along."

Legolas smothered a laugh. "And what does Thalion want?"

Lalaith chuckled. "You really need to ask?"

The twins greeted them enthusiastically. Though Marielle was only a few months old she gurgled happily and waved her arms about at the sight of her uncle and grandada.

Easily wrapping his arms around the twins, Legolas pressed kisses upon their foreheads and then laughed as they quickly scampered over to Thranduil to receive the same thing.

He knelt beside Miriwen and carefully lifted Marielle into his arms. "How is this little one?" He cooed at the happy baby.

She shrieked and immediately grabbed a strand of his hair. Thalion grinned, remembering all the times when Legolas had grabbed his own hair.

After a few moments of settling down, Thalion rather abruptly asked. "When are we leaving?"

Legolas snorted. "Who says that you're invited?" He demanded.

Thalion's eyes narrowed.

"Thalion." Thranduil broke in smoothly. "I think this is one time that I think that Legolas is right in telling you no."

As he turned around he didn't see Legolas triumphantly stick out his tongue at his older brother, but after Dawriel choked back a chuckle, Thranduil shook his head. "Legolas, stick your tongue back in your mouth."

"Adar." Thalion ignored his youngest brother's antics. "I don't see why there would be a reason why I cannot accompany you and Legolas."

Legolas snorted. "I can."

"Legolas." Thranduil warned. "Do not mock your brother." He turned his attention towards his second oldest son. "Thalion I do not want to hear anymore of this. You two are acting like elflings."

Danuas and Dawriel laughed, each delighting in the mental picture of their father and uncle as elflings.

Thalion sighed, casting a glare at his youngest brother who returned with a smug smile.

"Where is Lomion at?" Miriwen asked, casting her own smile at her youngest brother in law.

"Probably at home with Lainiel." Lalaith replied easily. "He is bound and determined to make sure that Lainiel rests." She laughed.

Thalion laughed as well, sending a wink towards his wife. Miriwen had never liked to stay indoors during her pregnancy and would often send Thalion into little fits when she came back inside, her cheeks flushed red and her eyes alight.

Needless to say, Thalion could never stay angry with her.

His attention was turned back to his parents, younger brothers and his children as Lalaith questioned Miriwen on some decorating designs. They chatted for a while, the three older males content to sit and listen to them.

After a few minutes the twins begged to go practice with their bows in the clearing below and Miriwen and Lalaith left to look at some design that was in Thranduil's study, leaving Thalion, Thranduil, Legolas and Marielle who was blinking drowsily.

After another few moments of silence Legolas quietly spoke up. "You are not to angry that I would like just Adar to go with me are you?" His voice was pleading, sitting down beside his elder brother.

Thalion smiled, resting a comforting hand upon Legolas' shoulder. "No, Legolas. I am not. But I do expect that you will show me what you have been so secretive for these past years."

Legolas blinked surprised. He had not breathed a single word about where he had gone or what he had done.

Thranduil and Thalion laughed aloud at the startled look on Legolas' face.

"Don't you know that we have raised you little leaf?" Thalion's voice, though amused was tender. "We have learned to read every expression on your face, when you are hiding something or when you are hurting." He smiled, but it was a rather sad smile. "That's what a family is for."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List